Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Seth Rogen's R rated CGI film "Sausage Party"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Seth Rogen's R rated CGI film "Sausage Party"

not safe for... something

not really sure what to think honestly.

Blog Entries

Gratuitous, vulgar, juvenile and a simple, cliched idea stretched out for all it's worth and more?

Sure, I can go with that.

Just chillin', dawg OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is one of my most hyped up movies of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Knew the trailer was planned to drop yesterday and was gonna make a thread for it but I see I've been beaten to it.

Boy, they sure wanna hammer in the fact that it's R-Rated by having every other word in the trailer be "Fuck" or "Shit", don't they? Other than that I'm also not sure what to make of it. I mean, the premise is fine and I want to see it solely for the novelty of it being a bastardized Seth Rogen take on the typically family friendly animated output of Pixar/Dreamworks and I'm a sucker for stuff that's vulgar for the sake of it. I just don't know if it'll have what it takes to sustain an hour and a half (According to a review which I'll link below, it was 85 minutes long, noting that the version that was screened didn't have end credits). Something about it feels like a feature length Robot Chicken sketch, and y'know, there's a reason Robot Chicken's sketch format is packaged as an 11 minute show on Adult Swim.

It seems like its whole aim is to be gross/edgy as fuck though, as per some comments Rogen has already made when talking about it on The Howard Stern Show, also noting that there's a lot of religious allegories going on in it.
    “We thought it would be funny to do an R-rated Pixar-style movie,” said Rogen. “Its fucking filthy. its really really really dirty, but it looks like a Pixar movie.”
    “It’s about food in a grocery store that believes when you get purchased all your wildest dreams come true. They don’t realize that you get eaten. And its about them slowly realizing what happens in their after life. It’s kind of like Toy Story, its a journey — they’re trying to get from one end of the store to the other,” said Rogen. “It’s fucking crazy, its nuts”
    “Its subject matter inherently has to do with religion, so conceptually its somewhat R-rated.”
    “Sausage Party appalled him [Sacha Baron Cohen] in some ways. We brought him to a screening where we watched the hand drawn version of the movie and he could not believe it — ‘that is the single craziest fucking thing I’ve seen in my whole life’ He said, ‘Just know you’ve gotten successful enough to make the craziest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.'”
    There’s violence, it gets very sexual… there is a food orgy in the movie — one of the most filthy things I’ve ever seen in my life.
    “We even explore inter-food sex in the movie, we explore all of that,” laughs Rogen.
    Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/sausage-party-movie-details/

The film was also screened already at SXSW, with a fairly positive review up on Variety.
    http://variety.com/2016/film/festiva...sw-1201730120/
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

i mean there's absolutely no subtlety going on with the female hot dog bun with the sideways mouth

Blog Entries

Subtlety has never exactly been the strong suit of Seth Rogen movies.

Blog Entries

Hollywood Reporter also giving a positive review. It's loaded with spoilers apparently, but their review in summation at the top of the page is "Foodstuffs, metaphysics and a heap of raunchy action add up to something surprisingly hilarious".
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-875703

Blog Entries

first heard about this a couple weeks ago. honestly looks like something I'd enjoy quite a bit

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I knew about this movie before, but forgot about it until now. Not sure what to expect from this as movies that Seth Rogen has written tend to be hit or miss. The trailer for this was pretty amusing though even though most of the jokes in this trailer seem to revolve around the novelty of swearing food. Still this could turn out to be a surprisingly good movie and it is interesting to see a CGI movie that isn't aimed towards kids.

Blog Entries

Cartoon Brew sharing general reactions from the audience at the screening.
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...ed-137978.html

"God Hates Figs", huh?

Blog Entries

one thing that sticks out for me is that it doesn't seem to follow the formula of toy story in that the food characters don't act like inanimate objects in the immediate presence of the human characters, except for the shot of the baby carrots trying to roll off the counter. that particular scene is in stark contrast to others like the scene with the potato clearly singing and moving about while he is in the woman's hand.

Blog Entries

@super nintendo chalmers, given that the bit with the baby carrots rolling off the counter is preceded by their anthropomorphic versions trying to make a run for it, one would have to assume that humans just aren't able to see them as they see themselves and each other.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The trailer was atrocious. So far it looks kind of like another generic and forgettable Dreamworks-style movie but just with the added 'novelty' of the characters swearing in every line. I'll probably end up seeing this anyway, but between the trailer and the fact that it was written by Seth Rogen, my expectations for this are in the ground.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

The premise is somewhat clever but the writing is pretty awful in the trailer. The swearing is obnoxious after awhile and makes me wonder if they're relying too much on cheap shock value. I think Shaunbadia's comparison to a Robot Chicken sketch was pretty spot-on.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Yup @Shaunbadia nailed it: it's going to be very hard for this film to stretch what is essentially one long joke into a 90-minute film. The trailer is admittedly funny but that's because it's just a little over two minutes long, and it does feel like the entire thing would be better if it just ended there.

I do like the fact that they actually got Alan Menken to do the music, yet the THR review immediately notes that Rogen can't even pull the same, clever trick as South Park did over 15 years ago in tricking the audience, instead immediately diving in with the cursing and the naughtiness. I'm also not shocked that it was a work-in-progress screening, and may explain the raves. I've always found that animatics sometimes are geniunely funnier than the product itself. I dunno... consider myself skeptical.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

The script has leaked, with some small screen caps of it being posted on 4chan's /co/ board. I'm not sure where the full thing is but here's a section of the orgy scene.

Never thought I'd see the day when a mainstream animated movie aimed to have a more gratuitous sex scene than the Drawn Together movie's "Disgusting for the sake of being disgusting" visual.

Blog Entries

Reading the Variety review... this seems like it'll have the same reaction for critics that Deadpool did. The mere fact that it's throwing a dirty and warped spin on a "genre" (which I hate to refer animation as, but y'know) that critics are so used to seeing much more crap of will instantly throw it into their liking. For every Zootopia, there's at least two Norm of the Norths.

The script page Shaun just posted above kinda solidifies that. At least it goes all the way.

edit: oh and apparently it's an allegory about religion (seemingly bent towards atheism) which I did not honestly see coming. Considering all the shitty religious films out now, that will even more push critics to its favor.
    Last edited by Ryan; 03-15-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Do we have any fans of the short lived MTV cartoon "Clone High", here?

Because Phil Lord and Chris Miller (As well as series creator, Bill Lawrence) apparently would like to bring it back, possibly in movie form, and whether or not that's possible would be dependent on how well "Sausage Party" does, since a movie like this could potentially set a precedent for the perceived viability of R-rated animated movies.
    Lord: It’s also a tricky thing because we basically made a PG-13 TV series, and if you’re gonna do a movie you wonder, ‘Am I gonna have to justify the budget that it’s gonna take by trying to broaden this to a family audience, and is that gonna kill what was fun about the original thing?’ Because there’s so much blood in the original series (laughs).
    Miller: And innuendo or whatever.
    Lord: And JFK sex jokes. Are you going to wind up defanging it?
    Miller: Are you gonna make it R? PG-13?
    Lord: It’s trying to cross-reference what it’s gonna cost and what it’s gonna make.
    Miller: [Hard R-rated animated films] I think is a hole in the marketplace, because people love R-rated comedies and there’s teen boys that love all the Family Guy, Simpsons-type of shows. There’s a market there for that.
    Lord: The Simpsons Movie was PG-13. It had male-frontal nudity in it.
    Miller: South Park movie was R. There’s a place that people are not occupying thinking that animated has to be family always, and I don’t think that’s true. I think [Sausage Party] is gonna do great. Those guys are so funny and talented.
    Source: http://collider.com/clone-high-movie...-chris-miller/

This was in 2014, and no more word of it has been mentioned since then, but it'd be neat to see something like that potentially come from this, regardless of the quality of "Sausage Party" itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    The script has leaked, with some small screen caps of it being posted on 4chan's /co/ board. I'm not sure where the full thing is but here's a section of the orgy scene..
    oman now i have 2 watch this

Blog Entries

I already almost died laughing reading that orgy scene. Man, this is gonna be so great.

I haven't seen all of the movies Rogen has written, but he generally never disappoints me.
    (The Green Hornet wasn't very good though)

Blog Entries

rogen acts like a rebellious teen smokin weed and cursin god

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    oh and apparently it's an allegory about religion (seemingly bent towards atheism) which I did not honestly see coming.
    I'm surprised by the fact that they're making the religious aspect of things central to the story, but not really surprised that they're leaning towards and atheist viewpoint with it. I know Rogen isn't exactly one of those big comedy names that likes to shit on religion all the time like Ricky Gervais or Seth MacFarlane, but any sort of non-atheist message in this movie would very likely be viewed as preachy I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Considering all the shitty religious films out now, that will even more push critics to its favor.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what films are you referring to? I don't pay a ton of attention to everything that comes out but I don't think I've seen any adverts for movies lately that gave off religious vibes.

Blog Entries

Pardon my ignorance, but what films are you referring to? I don't pay a ton of attention to everything that comes out but I don't think I've seen any adverts for movies lately that gave off religious vibes.
    God's Not Dead; Heaven is For Real; Left Behind; Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas among many others.

Shocker: most of them are just released in the good ol USA.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

probably like "god's not dead" and it's sequel and such.

Blog Entries

Yeah, God's Not Dead 2 will be released in just a little more than 2 weeks!
    Fucking Christ, it's so unbelievable I almost have to see it. I will either hate it to death as much as the first one, or be so entertained by the awfulness it's too funny to deserve a 1.

Blog Entries

God's Not Dead; Heaven is For Real; Left Behind; Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas among many others.

that Miracles from Heaven trailer is driving me absolute bonkers. i have seen it maybe 6 times in the past few months, it seems no movie can escape its dastardly clutches. so very hyped for it to come out so i don't have to hear that nails-on-a-chalkboard slow version of fight song anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

Googled "Left Behind" thinking to myself "Isn't that one old as fuck?". Had no idea they decided to do a remake of it with Nicholas Cage.

All of those movies are from 2014 though with the exception of "God's Not Dead 2" which comes out in April this year. Doesn't exactly seem like an overabundance of religious movies tbh, but I'll take your word for it that there's a ton of them that never see the light of day outside of the US.

BrokenBox

I like seth rogen films, so I'll most likely enjoy this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by super nintendo chalmers View Post
    i mean there's absolutely no subtlety going on with the female hot dog bun with the sideways mouth
    On this note, here's a John K. cartoon with a similar design.

Do we have any fans of the short lived MTV cartoon "Clone High", here?

Because Phil Lord and Chris Miller (As well as series creator, Bill Lawrence) apparently would like to bring it back, possibly in movie form, and whether or not that's possible would be dependent on how well "Sausage Party" does, since a movie like this could potentially set a precedent for the perceived viability of R-rated animated movies.

Source: http://collider.com/clone-high-movie...-chris-miller/

This was in 2014, and no more word of it has been mentioned since then, but it'd be neat to see something like that potentially come from this, regardless of the quality of "Sausage Party" itself.
    I'm gonna pay twice if it helps bring Clone High back.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Thread Information