Thread: Kubo and the Two Strings

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Kubo and the Two Strings

This movie really needs a thread and more viewers at the theater! This is easily my favorite animated movie of the year so far and I will straight up beg literally everyone to see this. I desperately want to see this in 3D because I know it would be an amazing viewing. Only reason I didn't this time is because 3D is useless to Amy at the moment.

Utterly brilliant stop-motion animation (watch in 3D if you can, seriously!), gorgeous scenery, powerful soundtrack and decent voice work by the cast* lend to this wonderfully emotional and well told story. I was so invested from the moment it started and teared up too many times to count as I am a sap for family (not "safe for the family" but "of and relating to family"). It doesn't shy away from just DOING and SHOWING what it needs to, even if some whiny parent may find it somewhat dark for PG.

I spent a good deal of the movie being blown away by how gorgeous it all looked, but when the story and tension really kick in I shifted my attention to how well they're able to place Kubo in such danger and make me worry for him despite the fact that you know he's gonna succeed SOMEHOW by the end. His quest is truly a dangerous quest, but completely worth every second. And Kubo is a protagonist you absolutely want to succeed and his companions Monkey and Beetle lend some good humor to the story plus some emotional support for..all of us who were thrown into what happened to this poor kid. And once you figure out the meaning behind the title, it's hard not to walk away without tears in your eyes as the movie concludes and a beautiful shamisen cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Regina Spektor plays over some lovingly animated 2D sequences.

There are some small moments of feeling rushed through specific plot reveals and moments and I'm sure you could spot tropes and junk from a mile away but I don't think they hurt the movie very much. This is probably one of the few times I didn't get mad at "ok, protagonist, remember not to do *plot point*" followed by the thing immediately happening. I don't know that I'd want the movie to be 2hrs or more because of extra, potentially unneeded explanations or dragging out of scenes. It's already 1hr42m and if this were a video game, I would say it's packed with quite a few tense and impressive boss fights for our heroes! It's a tightly told story; if you must blink, do it now.

*which I'm sure is drawing ire for having white actors play the main Asian characters while our usual Asian actors brought in for roles in movies like these play only minor characters. But I must say...they do a very good job. Could've fooled me with Kubo being played by "doesn't fucking know how to zig zag" Rickon Stark. And Monkey is played by FURIOSA, come on. They did well.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

I really wanna see it. Caught the trailer at MCM Comic-Con's Universal booth and thought it looked great. I hear it's been doing well critically but flopping in terms of ticket sales, which is pretty upsetting to hear.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

saw this last night, loved it. laika are fucking magicians, i can't imagine having the patience to produce this, the bit at the end credits where they (just like boxtrolls) do a little time-lapse showcase of some of the construction of one of the larger pieces could be viewed as self-congratulatory (especially since they've done it before), but fuck that these folks fully earned it. i probably can't put this movie's beauty into better words than kupo did but yes please see this, it's struggling and its a huge bummer to see that because this is laika's finest work yet, utterly charming and gorgeous and full of character and culture and a terrific little ensemble throughout the adventure. lots to love here, shouldn't be missed. help laika out, they deserve it.

Loved this movie as well. Laika hasn't put out a movie I haven't liked yet. Even their worst one (ParaNorman) is still pretty good.

Blog Entries

Kind of a shame they didn't go for "Kupo" instead of "Kubo" considering how close the two are.

It'd be nice to see this win the Animated Movie Oscar instead of "Dory".. but I'm realistic enuff to know thats not gonna happen

Blog Entries

Just saw an ad for Kubo on TV saying it comes out in the UK on September 9th. Hopefully the praise it's gotten thus far following its US release can help it do a bit better financially internationally.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really want to see this. I love everything Laika has done except for Box Trolls, and this looks great too. I miss stop-motion movies.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

saw this today with my friend, probably the most beautiful stop-motion film I've seen. both visually and story wise, pretty damn dark for what I assume is aimed at kids. great characters, story and animation, some minor flaws were the pacing once or twice felt a bit too fast as it would just jump to a completely new plot point very quickly and some of the jokes were merely alright. but overall one of the best animated movie movies I've seen this decade.

sadly i wept due to the fact me and my friend were literally the only people in the theater who came to see the film, completely empty room. sad that such a good unique animated film is getting shafted at the box office while sausage party managed to miraculously do gangbusters (not dissing SP it just seemed doomed to failure the second it was announced). hope this at least does well upon home release, I'll def buy it if it has some making of features and a commentary.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

This film was quite spectacular and good. 3D is a must.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I finally watched this the passed weekend and it was really good indeed, not only because of the fantastic stop-motion visuals but I really liked the story and the characters (and it was pretty dark and surprisingly violent, but it felt in-line with the story and not at all out of place). Super enjoyable film (and great choice of end credits song, too).

The only thing that felt a little bit wierd was that it all was very Japanese yet all characters speak perfect English (and all the major ones are portrayed by white actors while the few Asian actors only get small bit parts), but that is just nitpicking since I know it's not an Japanese production, suitable talent comes first and all that & the ones chosen did a very good job like @kupomog said (however it would be interesting watch the Japanese dub).

It's not perfect but definitely deserves all the praise it has gotten (I still think Zootopia is the better animated film of last year, but this is probably second). I'm surprised it flopped; it's really original and has all the ingredients that makes a great animated film but still it failed to find a bigger audience.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    It's not perfect but definitely deserves all the praise it has gotten (I still think Zootopia is the better animated film of last year, but this is probably second). I'm surprised it flopped; it's really original and has all the ingredients that makes a great animated film but still it failed to find a bigger audience.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that it flopped was, too many people thought it was another "made in Japan and dubbed for USA release" film (like, e.g. Spirited Away). In fact, I didn't realize that it wasn't originally in Japanese until I tried to set the audio language on the Blu-Ray version and didn't see Japanese among the choices; I prefer watching in the original language with English subtitles, so I can get a better idea of the character's actions, especially after what Suzanne Pleshette did in Spirited Away.

Then again, I don't remember the movie getting much advertising.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I definitely think it was due to the poor advertising rather than people thinking it was a Japanese film; the competition wasn't that big either during the time it came out so it must be a major reason why it failed despite good reviews.

Thread Information