View Poll Results: We are the animaaaaaaniacs!

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1920s

1 7.69%
  • 1930s

1 7.69%
  • 1940s

6 46.15%
  • 1950s

4 30.77%
  • 1960s

1 7.69%
  • 1970s

2 15.38%
  • 1980s

1 7.69%
  • 1990s

8 61.54%
  • 2000s

5 38.46%
  • 2010-present

5 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite decade for animation?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's your favorite decade for animation?

I always love to discuss animation, be it good or bad, and even as early as in the 30's, we had already come a long way. The early Donald and Mickey shorts are still incredible, so full of life and creativity. I also watched The Three Caballeros today (sorry for mentioning it again, I just had to) and hoooooooooooooly crap. It looks AMAZING! The colors are just fantastic, and already the visuals themselves are such a ton of fun to watch.
    I could shower praise over almost every decade though, and it's not easy to pick the "best" one. That's why I have a multi-choice poll. Which decade(s) do you think showed animation at its finest?
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

1940s, easily.

it's probably 40s > 50s > 30s > 90s > 2010s > 20s > 2000s > 60s > 80s > 70s.

really only struggled on where to place the 2000s, but i think my love of the early mickey mouse cartoons barely puts the 1920s ahead of the 2000s for me.

Blog Entries

My personal favourite is the 90s. I mean you got classic Simps, the Disney Renaissance, the introduction of CGI with Toy Story, the old Cartoon Network shows, Batman: TAS, etc.

Least favourite would probably be the 70s, I haven't seen a lot from that decade but most of what I have seen has been very mediocre. I'm sure there's some great 70s animation out there tho.

Blog Entries

There's no "best" decade, each has had it's share of good and bad. That's true for all media.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

It has to be the 90s. The Simpsons at its peak, Disney Renaissance, Pixar, The birth of several great animation TV series'

I like the Hanna/Barbara era of cheap TV animation.. where a running cartoon character would pass the same chair, tree, house, 20x's or more on a background loop of very limited length.

Banned
    Blog Entries

For classic cartoons, the 40s. Looney Tunes at its peak and several other studios were producing a lot of great stuff. As for other stuff the 90s probably for reasons mentioned.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    There's no "best" decade, each has had it's share of good and bad. That's true for all media.
    It says favorite decade for animation, not best decade for animation.

Blog Entries

statement is incorrect anyways because there is factually more bad animation projects from say the 1990s than the 1940s. not to mention all the crap from the 1960s through the 1980s.

challenge you to find some bad animation from the 1940s. the decade was tops, warner bros was at it's peak, mgm had tom and jerry and tex avery, fleischer was putting out the amazing superman cartoons, disney was putting out great donald duck and goofy cartoons(even mickey, who's star had faded somewhat, still had many good cartoons as well), and all the great wartime stuff(even if it was propaganda it was still very well made). even some of the more forgotten stuff like the terrytoons cartoons and the harveytoons are still pretty good, even if they aren't on the same level as the wb/mgm stuff. the only things that are missing from the decade that would make it perfect are the first couple of disney features from the late 30s and chuck jones' peak at warner bros, which i feel was in the early 50s.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

Blog Entries

Bad '40s stuff? Well, lots of the more racist Looney Tunes cartoons, such as All This And Rabbit Stew.

This is just American animation, right?
    How would Japan or UK animation stack up by decade?

Blog Entries

Bad '40s stuff? Well, lots of the more racist Looney Tunes cartoons, such as All This And Rabbit Stew.
    and they still aren't "bad". maybe the content is bad but they are still well made with great animation.

Blog Entries

Still doesn't hide the fact they were racist. Even though that was expected at the time, it's still offensive. If the actual content isn't good, it's not good.

Same with most of the wartime cartoons.

What about Elmer's Candid Camera? Haven't seen it, but i've heard it's the worst Looney Tunes cartoon.

Blog Entries

Der Fuehrer's Face is one of the best goddamn cartoons ever made, you cretin.

Blog Entries

But what about all the anti-Japanese ones?

Blog Entries

nah, despite the content they are still well made pieces of art. the bob clampett cartoon "coal black and de sebben dwarfs" is universally renown as one of the greatest cartoons of all time by animation enthusiasts, despite it's content.

wartime stuff is good shit, despite it being propaganda. this cartoon looks amazing, even if the cartoon itself is super chilling

can't find a decent copy of elmer's candid camera on yt, but it's not a "bad" cartoon

Blog Entries

What is your definition of a "bad" cartoon? If you don't think a cartoon which consists near-entirely of antiquated black stereotypes is bad, then what DO you think is bad?

Anything that's racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise tasteless is AUTOMATICALLY bad, IMO.

Blog Entries

my definition of "bad" is something that's poorly made. poorly written, poorly animated, poorly paced, etc. not something that was made 60-70 years ago in accordance with the standards of the day being judged with the standards of today. most producers of those cartoons that were alive past the 1960s have acknowledged that the messages in those cartoons were wrong.

context is key in old films such as those cartoons.

Blog Entries

But still! Do you REALLY think if you had shown All This And Rabbit Stew to a black person in the 1940s, he/she would've liked it? I don't think so.

Relying on racist stereotypes for humor is DEFINITELY "poor writing".

Blog Entries

and come on, these cartoons were produced completely by hand, in the united states. that kind of craft is rarely replicated in this day and age, not without a lot of cost. it's rarely done anymore.

Blog Entries

they weren't "racist stereotypes" in the 1940s, again you are judging the cartoon by modern standards.

Blog Entries

Being done by hand doesn't mean better. I MUCH prefer well-done CGI over poorly-done hand drawn (Early Ullman Simpsons, Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog).

And I'm NOT judging it by today's standards, I'm saying that they were STILL stereotypes, back in the day. They weren't seen as OFFENSIVE stereotypes, but still stereotypes.

Also, saying there were FACTUALLY more bad cartoons in the '90s than in the '40s is WRONG. You can't objectively call something bad. It's about OPINION.

Blog Entries

Holy Christ in shittin' heaven, can you please shut up?

Blog Entries

nah both egg and comeau bring up valid points here. Obviously we shouldn't glorify the stereotypical portrayals of older works or completely dismiss them as Product of Their Time, but that also doesn't mean totally dismissing their artistic merit as a result. There's a happy medium between, say, throwing out Huck Finn because it uses the N-word, and ignoring the context of the word today when reading it because It Was Okay Back Then.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg

Blog Entries

There's a difference between a book using the N-word and a cartoon relying near-entirely on racist stereotypes for humor.

Blog Entries

weh Huck Finn probably wasn't the best example there but it just came to mind first. Gone with the Wind possibly a better one?

Blog Entries

i'd argue something like "all this and rabbit stew" isn't overtly offensive. it sure is racist by today's standards, but it's not offensive. bugs doesn't spend the cartoon disparaging the black hunter, really he treats him no differently than he would have treated elmer fudd in that situation. very few of those cartoons were actually offensive cartoons, despite having racist content.

something like "bugs bunny nips the nips" is offensive, because bugs does spend the cartoon directly ridiculing the japanese. but it's a propaganda film made during world war 2, when we were in direct conflict with the japanese after they bombed us.

Blog Entries

So racism isn't offensive? Brilliant logic there. And character being racist doesn't matter as much as the CARTOON being racist.

Blog Entries

It's about OPINION.
    Why is that 98% of people on this forum who try to use this argument tend to have terrible opinions?

Blog Entries

So racism isn't offensive? Brilliant logic there. And character being racist doesn't matter as much as the CARTOON being racist.
    you are missing the fucking context homeboy, feel like this is deliberate on your part at this point. you are all about missing context when viewing media it seems.

Thread Information