Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rank & Reviewing the Disney Animated Classics

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rank & Reviewing the Disney Animated Classics

With Disney churning out some killer movies over the past few years, I have decided to rank and review all the Disney movies in the Walt Disney Animated Studios canon. This is an idea which I've been wanting to bring into fruition for a long time now since the movies created by Disney are greatly discussed on this forum. Plus, I've now finished school and I'm unemployed so what better time to do it?

Disney has been making these movies since 1937 with its first movie Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs all the way to the upcoming Moana. Disney was a big part of my childhood, like most people, and continues to resonate with me to this day. You've all probably got a favourite from your childhood which you still love to this day. The magic, the music, the heart is all why they're so beloved to us. I'll be trying to rank this list without nostalgia based opinions.

Here's all the movies that shall be ranked. This is not including Pixar, Live actions movies blended with animation or anything made by the DisneyToon Studios.
    Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    Pinocchio (1940)
    Fantasia (1940)
    Dumbo (1941)
    Bambi (1942)
    Saludos Amigos (1942)
    The Three Caballeros (1944)
    Make Mine Music (1946)
    Fun & Fancy Free (1947)
    Melody Time (1948)
    The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr Toad (1949)
    Cinderella (1950)
    Alice in Wonderland (1951)
    Peter Pan (1953)
    Lady & The Tramp (1955)
    Sleeping Beauty (1959)
    101 Dalmatians (1961)
    The Sword in the Stone (1963)
    The Jungle Book (1967)
    The Aristocats (1970)
    Robin Hood (1973)
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
    The Rescuers (1977)
    The Fox and the Hound (1981)
    The Black Cauldron (1985)
    The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
    Oliver & Company (1988)
    The Little Mermaid (1989)
    The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
    Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Aladdin (1992)
    The Lion King (1994)
    Pocahontas (1995)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    Hercules (1997)
    Mulan (1998)
    Tarzan (1999)
    Fantasia 2000 (1999)
    Dinosaur (2000)
    The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
    Lilo & Stitch (2002)
    Treasure Planet (2002)
    Brother Bear (2003)
    Home on the Range (2004)
    Chicken Little (2005)
    Meet the Robinsons (2007)
    Bolt (2008)
    The Princess and the Frog (2009)
    Tangled (2010)
    Winnie the Pooh (2011)
    Wreck-it Ralph (2012)
    Frozen (2013)
    Big Hero 6 (2014)
    Zootopia (2016)

Please note that there will be many controversial opinions along the way so try not to get offended. I'm also not claiming this as a definitive ranking but just what I personally believe is best to worst. So without further Apu, I'll be getting started on this list very shortly with the last place spot as what I believe is the worst Disney movie throughout the canon.

Last edited by AngusCastle; 07-31-2016 at 01:37 PM.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Camo, Egg, tyler

55. Chicken Little (2005)

The bottom of the barrel of the studios is right here. Disney's first fully CGI movie is also its worst. This was at a time when Pixar and Dreamworks were picking up momentum as the superior animation studios so Disney's CEO Michael Eisner (the less said about him, the better) felt that hand-drawn animation was out-dated and wanted to create films with the CGI medium. This also meant Chicken Little was changed to a male instead of the original female gender in the fairy tale to fit the little boy/teen demographic as well as the influence of Dreamworks' - several pop culture references and gimmicks were thrown in and didn't align with Disney's usual sensibility. The animation of this movie is seriously awful, lacking any colour, imagination, detail and looking far too much like something off the Nickelodeon channel. There's no sense of creativity either in the anthropomorphic world presented. Chicken Little is amateurish and feels like something made from a company that's just starting out rather than one like the Walt Disney Animation Studios which has been creating such masterpieces for years.

And the plot is so disjointed and never really comes together. Is this a story about Chicken Little's baseball career or the odd sci-fi subplot which never really comes into force. Maybe if the alien invasion wasn't involved and the movie's focus was on the complex relationship between Chicken Little and Buck, the story might have been stronger (that's giving this movie too much credit though). Instead, the concept of aliens is thrown in to make the movie more 'cool'. Some of the pacing is off too - when Chicken Little and Abby Mallard share their first kiss, it comes straight out of nowhere as a result of a badly written script. Another mark against the movie is the ridiculous amount of celebrities cast and as a result, the voice work doesn't match the characters - Chicken Little and his friends sound too adult to be school children. It's rather sad too because Zach Braff finally gets a lead in a Disney movie and his talents are wasted.

The ugly animation, the weak story, the bad casting could have all been forgiven if it weren't for the film being SO mean-spirited. A huge misstep for movies in general to make is to use bullying/abuse as a form of humour and Chicken Little is a clear example of this. For about two thirds of the movie, it's just an entire town belittling Chicken Little who is a child....a child. The majority of the characters are cruel and vulgar - the first three minutes of the movie is literally a display of him being abused by the towns people. The best/worst example of this is the relationship with his father Buck Ace. He's quite possibly one of the worst fathers ever in a Disney movie for not supporting his son at any given moment and instead caring about his own reputation by sucking up to the townspeople. Even throughout the alien invasion, he's still so unsupportive of Chicken Little - "This is crazy....crazy good". It makes it even sadder knowing the mother is dead. If there is any time for sentiment, it's gone because of all the silliness and harsh moments throughout the feature. Terrible music, awful humour, mediocre storyline - The overall result left a bad taste with me. It's a good enough film for kids (like so many of Disney's weaker efforts) but it's easily the worst feature in the entire canon.
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 07-27-2016 at 02:10 AM.

where's that disney thread that got started a few months ago

Blog Entries

Nice. Much better than the Teens React thread. Can't wait to read more.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    where's that disney thread that got started a few months ago
    The one which thief started didn't really pick up much momentum so I'm trying to amend it here

54. Home on the Range (2004)

Often considered Disney's darkest hour in terms of quality and it's not hard to see why. The story is sub-par, the script tries to fit in as many gimmicks as it can, the voice work is awful and the directors could not have picked a worse trio of leads - cows. Like a lot of Disney's very worst, Home on the Range has a few redeeming factors throughout but it's all lost due to the slapstick nature of the movie. What are these good moments? The animation is sharp and the artistic work has a nice western look about it, some of the songs are genuinely good, as they should be, since they're written by Alan Menken (Patch of Heaven and Will the Sun Ever Shine Again? are unfortunately wasted on such a bad movie) and the vocals talents of Judi Dench. It's seriously not enough to bring this movie any higher. Out of all the Disney movies in the WDAS canon, this one has the least amount of fans. Have you ever heard anyone say they like this movie? Do you ever see any Home on the Range merchandise? Even Chicken Little has a small fan-base but this one has no-one to support it.

The leads of the movie are the worst right down to voice work and character design - it's almost as if the directors wanted them to fail as good characters. Roseanne Barr undertakes the role of Roseanne Barr for the movie and her character is beyond terrible with some vapid farm puns and a grating voice. I love Judi Dench which makes me like Mrs Calloway (slightly) but this becomes redundant as her and Roseanne's voice don't match well at all and they end up bouncing off each other (and not it a good way). Jennifer Tilly undertakes the character of the ditsy Grace who holds up the theme of annoying presences in the movie. The villain is horrendous and his odd obsession with yodelling is enough to suffice this as well as his stupid obnoxious Willie brothers. In actual fact, there's no appealing character throughout the ensemble.

The story is one of the worst in the canon too. It already gained this title as soon as it set out for three bonvines to single-handedly save a farm but furthermore, there are so many ridiculous plot points which the movie hinges on for the narrative to supposedly make sense. Slim didn't know about Patch of Heavens because one of the Willie brothers was blocking the view of it the entire time - seriously? Lucky Jack is randomly introduced for no real reason except for filler material. Slim can rustle cattle through yodeling? No one recognizes the movie's villain either because of his 'disguise'. And the farm is saved all because of some COWS who drove on the land with a train - Cows did this? There's just too many awful plot holes for the story to ever work. And not to mention, the movie is drowned is such terrible jokes. Fitting in as many farm gags as they can as well as all the awful gimmicks and anachronisms which fail for laughs, not to mention the repeated joke of belching. The saddest part is this was the final movie to have hand-drawn animation (until The Princess and the Frog) and what a horrible way to end Walt's legacy.
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 07-27-2016 at 02:11 AM.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, pax

Blog Entries

can we refrain from using the black text please

Blog Entries

That era between the Disney Renaissance and Revival era is such a bad era.
    o shit its 2021 and still havent posted on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Telso View Post
    That era between the Disney Renaissance and Revival era is such a bad era.
    Yep, it is. Don't be surprised if most of them are eliminated within the first few spots on this list

Quote Originally Posted by super nintendo chalmers View Post
    can we refrain from using the black text please
    I'll change it back but I don't see what the problem is.

Blog Entries

But yeah, continue this series. It's always much more interesting to see someone else's thoughts on movies than a ranking of a bunch of teens.

Chicken Little's failure was a great thing for Pixar! .. Pix couldnt stand WD people standing over their shoulders adding suggestions to their stuff, so split from Disney.. Disney was hoping ChikLil would prove they didnt need Pixar.. Pix & Diz both intently watched this movies opening week box-office.. It sucked so hard, Disney was forced to offer Pixar Billions to get them back.. Haw-haw!
    What a pivotal moment in time this was.. If this film had been even a marginal hit, who knows what we'd be seeing today?

Blog Entries

Chicken Little wasn't a commercial flop, it did actually pretty good at the box office as opposed to any Disney that came out after Tarzan besides Lilo & Stitch.

It was on the other hand a pretty big critical flop, therefore it's completely forgotten nowadays. You won't find any marchandise or mention at Disney Lands of this movie as a result.

53. Fun & Fancy Free (1947)

Do you remember those delightful little package films from the 1940s? Of course you don't. Well to put it in context, due to World War II, animators were divided between the Army and producing propaganda films. Disney's five masterpieces were a thing of the past and we were given lazy package films which consisted of random shorts and little stories which were thrown together and had no relation with each other. With all of these films, though none of them are box office successes or ground-breaking movies, most of them are still decent enough to warrant a viewing. I can't lump Fun & Fancy Free into this category due to its lack of focus and lackluster story-telling. The movie is combined of two animated features - Bongo, who escapes into the forest and finds love which is followed by Mickey and the Beanstalk, a fairy tale adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk. Seriously, a movie set at a birthday party with Jiminy Cricket, a load of bears and the beanstalk story should be more exciting than it is.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the Bongo fable but it's nothing particularly special either. Dinah Shore sings the charming Lazy Countryside which is a nice lullaby and there's also some worthy enough images of the woodlands. Still, it's really only a story about Bongo experiencing the life of being in the wild and falling in love. For all the cute foresty animals on display, it just feels like the whole story is empty and slack. Oh, and there's the cringeworthy song Say it with a slap which is present for no apparent reason. There's no character development, neither any solid plot - the story seems to just exist for the sake of existing. The overall segment is dull, boring and shallow.

This is followed by Mickey and the Beanstalk which has a lot more substance as it takes a well-known tale and retells it with some beloved Disney characters - Mickey (who was voiced by Walt himself), Donald Duck and Goofy. To its credit, the adaptation of the well-known fairytale is actually rather good and has its 'moments'. Unfortunately, there's constant filler with live-action sequences of Edgar Bergen and his awful ventriloquist dummies. Poor Luana Patten having to spend her birthday with them. Not only is it distracting but the movie continues to have a lack of focus (and in terms of personal tastes, those dummies look disturbing and creepy, it's uncomfortable to view). Plus, that ending where the giant looks over the house is just plain stupid. Fun & Fancy Free having no coherency or any depth is the result of a rushed, uninspired movie from the war time which was thrown together in desperation on continuing the Disney legacy.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg

52. Dinosaur (2000)

At this point, many Disney fans were begging for the wonderful renaissance movies of the 90s to come back. What I hated most about Dinosaur was how it didn't feel like Disney. I understand their intentions behind it to make a movie that looked as realistic as possible without being cartoony but it backfires on all elements of the feature. The CGI Dinosaurs against the live action backgrounds look extremely dated and unaesthetically pleasing. It was a nice concept to attempt but all it merits is a 'meh'. Furthermore, there's nothing notable about the characters because of this. Their design and the graphics based around them look so amateurish. It was so hard to distinguish between Aladar and Neera because they look too similar and it really underwhelms their personalities, if any. Even the villains - Kron and Bruton - look so similar that it's hard to differentiate them because their design is so closely linked. And the love monkey is just plain annoying (I was rooting for him and Kron to get left behind throughout the entire movie). The only characters that were mildly okay were Baylene and Eema and that's more to do with the fact that they have the vocals talents of Joan Plowright and Della Reese. At least with the weaker offerings of the early 2000s such as Home on the Range and Chicken Little, for however unlikable the characters were, they at least were distinctive and memorable. Dinosaur just doesn't have that.

The best part of the movie is probably the opening. It's climatic, grand and actually looks visually impressive. But as soon as Aladar is discovered by the Lemers, everything goes downhill. Out of all the entries in the Disney canon, I found this one to be the most boring. And unfortunately because the producers focused too much of their time on the graphics and animation of the movie, the script is underwritten and lackluster. A slow movie filled with some awful jokes (it took five minutes for them to throw in a urinating gag and reprise it later on), one-dimensional characters with an ugly design, a forced romance, weak storyline, no emotional investment into the movie, cringe worthy villain with no motives - Dinosaur did nothing right.
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 08-01-2016 at 04:43 AM.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Camo, Egg, Telso

51. Saludos Amigos (1942)

Saludos Amigos isn't a bad film per-say but the educational style of it and the constant live-action shots make it feel less Disney. It's also incredibly short in duration - just 42 minutes long. The movie was made by Disney in order to improve the United States of America's relations with South America because of WW2. The intentions were there and the film sent out a goodwill message to South of the border. It's another film which suffered from being rushed because of time-constraints but its forgivable because the effort was still there thanks to Walt and his team's interest in the continent. The cartoon shorts throughout the movie are all enjoyable enough on their own but mediocre when placed together. Lake Titicaca is an amusing enough little tale about tourists acting as fools when they visit foreign places. I admired the cartoo-nish style of Pedro with the very anticlimactic ending in which the 'important' package was just a postcard. And Aquarela do Brasil (which means Watercolour of Brazil) has an artistic style to it and feels very upbeat as the standout segment. Goofy also makes an appearance within the segment El Gaucho Goofy but is very underused. It's an inoffensive film with a lot of research that went in to it. But unfortunately, it will never go down as a classic because it's a product of its time, with Goofy and Donald at the bottom of their game, made purely because of the war. It's much easier to think of this as a charming little documentary of the 1940s rather than as a classic Disney animated feature.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ClaraDj, Egg

50. Make Mine Music (1946)

Make Mine Music is the first Disney movie that follows the Fantasia formula and is also the one that fails the hardest at it. The melodies used are not timeless classics but simply ones that were popular at the time. Whilst I do appreciate the different styles of animation, there's an overall significant downgrade in the visuals to how it was in the artful Fantasia. What's more is that there's nothing to tie all 10 anthology pieces together. Each segment is so different from the other, it's hard to focus on the movie because it lacks direction and a coherent structure.

In terms of the actual segments, they're all just very hit and miss. There were some moments in the film which I found very enjoyable. All the Cats Join In would be my personal favourite out of all the melodies - I love the jazzy tone to it and the actual animation style for it to look like it's been drawn on the spot in creative and innovative, it also enhances the fast-paced rhythm of the anthology. There's also the more popular segment The Whale who wanted to sing at the Met. It may not be the most visually striking but is forgiven for its the creativity and wackiness (I thought Nelson Eddy brilliantly narrated the segment and for him to do the voice of each character is brilliant). There's the Two Silhouettes segment which takes a very stylized approach to its appearance with two rotoscoped live-action ballet dancers and Johnnie Fedora and Alice BlueBonnet tells a pretty in-depth romance between two anthropomorphic hats.

Still, a few notable segments within several other forgettable shorts are not enough to bring this failed Fantasia continuum any higher on this list. Even if you do enjoy the concept of music being blended with animation, this movie will bore you to death.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg

Blog Entries

love the "peter and the wolf" segment

Blog Entries

Very good reviews. Keep it up.

49. Brother Bear (2003)

Brother Bear is the true beginning of Disney's downfall in the early 2000s. In some ways, it has outstanding features such as its painfully sorrowful moments which enrich the movie with an emotional core - the unexpected death of Sitka, Koda facing the harsh reality of his mother's demise. And a lot of the scenes have suspense and action such as Kenai as a bear falling down the waterfall or Tenahi's chase against Koda and Kenai through the lava field. Additionally, the animation is exquisite and has some amazing set pieces of Alaska and also some well crafted transitions - this movie in fact uses two aspect ratios when it starts with regular widescreen and switches to anamorphic widescreen to represent Kenai's new perspective on life.

Unfortunately, the movie does too much wrong for these elements to really shine through. Brother Bear immediately fails with its horrible protagonist Kenai. In all seriousness, Kenai surpasses Rosanne Barr....oops, I mean Maggie from Home on the Range as one of the worst leads in a Disney movie. He's ignorant, hateful, cold, selfish, careless and for the most part of his bear journey, he never truly progresses. How do you make this worse? Pair him up with an equally annoying lead. Koda's voice is grating to start with but he's also just plain cocky and irritating (I'm sure Jeremy Suarez, the voice of Koda, was trying his best but the character is just so badly conveyed). It's difficult to get invested in the film when the leads are so annoying. The animals they encounter are all irritating, including Rutt and Tuke who are given too much airtime and borderline offensive as Canadian stereotypes too (shows a real sink in Rick Moranis's career) - I can't emphasize enough how unlikable the Moose brothers are for being so obnoxious and superfluous to the narrative. The only way to sum up all the ensemble of Brother Bear is "annoying".

The soundtrack is atrocious too which is disappointing because I usually love Phil Collins' music but it adds nothing here. The songs are either cringey or out of place. The best way to describe On my Way and Welcome are cheesey as they're played against some lame montages. As for No Way Out, it's unfortunately placed upon Kenai revealing the truth to Koda. What should have been a really sad point for the movie was omitted because the production was lazy and placed the song over the conversation and stops them from getting emotionally invested into the upsetting reality of the situation. It would have been much better to show a deep conversation between Kenai and Koda and yet, the writers seem to almost be afraid of reaching the complex themes of what Brother Bear should have had. The story is slow, predictable and boring. Kenai is magically turned into the bear for being an asshole. He gets to stay a bear because of Native American magic? There could have been a sense of maturity within Brother Bear but it's completely tarnished because of the slapstick humour and shallow characters just to maintain the kids movie genre without appealing to any other audience.
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 08-08-2016 at 04:08 AM.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, Telso

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's one of the most underrated Disney movies. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, No Way Out, one of the worst moments in Disney history.

Good stuff so far. I particularly agree with how low you have Dinosaur, that seems to be a bit better thought of now, i still think it is one of the worst. Same bottom two as well except i think Home On The Range is quite a bit worse than Chicken Little, possibly because i first watched the former recently. Of the ones listed i haven't seen any of the compilations other than Ichaboad and Mr Toad, Treasure Planet, Tangled or Winnie The Pooh (2011).
    Best and Worst Simpsons episodes:

Season 1:Life on the Fast Lane/Homers Night Out Season 2:Lisa's Substitute/The War of the Simpsons Season 3:Flaming Moes/Homer Defined Season 4:Homer The Heretic/So It's Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show Season 5:The Boy Who Knew Too Much/ Lady Bouviers Lover Season 6:Lemon of Troy/Another Simpsons Clip ShowSeason 7:Summer of 4 Ft.2/Homerpalooza Season 8:El Viaji Misterioso Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)/Bart After Dark Season 9:Lisa's Sax/All Singing All Dancing Season 10:Lisa Gets An A/Sunday, Cruddy Sunday Season 11:Behind The Laughter/Saddlesore Galactica Season 12:Hungry, Hungry Homer/Simpsons Safari Season 13:Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge/Gump Roast Season 14:Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter Season 15:Tis the Fifteenth Season/Bart Mangled Banner Season 16:Don't Fear the Roofer/Homer and Neds Hail Mary Pass Season 17:The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees Season18:Homerazzi/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh Season 19:Dial N For Nerder/Papa Don't Leech Season 20:Gone Maggie Gone/Mypods and Boomsticks Season 21:The Squirt and the Whale/Judge Me Tender Season 22:The Great Simpsina/The Fool Monty Season 23:The Book Job/Treehouse of Horror XXII Season 24:Hardly Kirk-ing/Moonshine River Season 25:Brick Like Me/The Kid Is All Right

Home on the Range and Chicken Little are pretty much interchangeable for the bottom place on this list. They have that "so bad it's almost good" thing going on for them

No they don't, they are just bad.

48. The Black Cauldron (1985)

It's easy to see why The Black Cauldron failed both critically and financially upon its first release. The first Disney movie to be given a PG certificate, it was so stylistically different than anything that came before it. The first Disney movie to have no songs throughout its discourse, neither sung by characters or in the background and with 12 minutes of footage removed for being too dark for a Disney movie and displays of skeletons and cleavage, it's no surprise that The Black Cauldron was suspended from a video release for over a decade. Statistics aside though, the acting is awful along with a disjointed storyline and a movie that is limited to very few audiences. I'll admit I have a bit of a soft spot for this movie. Loosely based on the book series The Chronicles of Prydian, I appreciate its ambitious concept and being unique from all the other Disney movies works as one of its assets. It's admirable to see the producers not pull any punches when creating something so dark and terrifying.

Granted, this film is still very problematic. The shabby voice acting really brings it down and weakens all the characters. Taran seems to express no real emotion within his voice and his motives seem like nothing apart from wanting to be famous. Why they felt the need for Gurgi's voice to sound the way it did is beyond me. The creeper should also be lumped into the category of choppy vocals, with his character sounding too gimmicky and it ends up not fitting to the dark fantasy of the movie. The narrative also seems very scattered - often it builds up to something but then is lost because the plot introduces a new set of characters (this may be because of the footage which ended up being scrapped). The characters never seem to face any true obstacles - as soon as they're up against something, they're immediately free from it. Plus the film forced the happy ending just so it could try and fit the Disney schema. And the script often uses a lot of weird filler material (an extended cleavage joke which feels very disconcerting) with some badly written dialogue. I presume Taran is aged somewhere in his teens and yet at one point, he says in a very petty manner - "What does a girl know about a sword?" - which leads on to one of the most childishly conveyed arguments ever between two supposedly matured teenagers.

There were some distinctive flourishes which offered a beacon of hope for a great dark fantasy movie but they are never really achieved. For example, The Horned King has a fantastic character design and a genuinely chilling presence about him as well as being perfectly voiced by John Hurt (it should also be noted that the voice work is fitting to the English setting unlike some other Disney movies which pass off American accents in movies set in England). But he never actually does anything to truly give himself the villain status. Alternatively, he just watches as his army and minions do everything for him. The animation also uses some good colour and detail but was really inconsistent, usually on the characters that went against the backgrounds. Furthermore, moments in the movie felt like they were building up to something grand and yet, the apprehension is repeatedly killed. The Black Cauldron was a good concept and at least the producers didn't play it safe but the final product is lazy.
    Last edited by AngusCastle; 08-11-2016 at 09:02 AM.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, Gatorgod, Telso

47. The Aristocats (1970)

It does sadden me a little bit to place this movie so low on my list as it is a family favourite and brings back memories of when I'd watch this with my sisters when I was younger. But putting mushy nostalgia aside, The Aristocats is not a very good movie. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, neither is their anything groundbreaking or innovative. It was the last one in the canon to be greenlit by Walt himself but had to be finished without his guidance so perhaps that's where it falters. It's a truly uninspired, unoriginal piece of cinema - a mish-mash of the more superior Disney movies 101 Dalmatians and Lady & The Tramp (but with cats). A story of a load of domestic pets travelling the country to find their way home with their two leads of a regal cat and one that lives on the street who engage in a romance together. It's all just too familiar. Edgar is quite possibly the weakest villains to date. No ambition, completely powerless and bland of a personality. The ending was a little bit ridiculous too - the thought of Madame giving her home to all the alley cats of Paris doesn't seem to match with her own formality. The Xerox animation looks SO distracting here too with lackluster visuals. A lot of antics are dedicated to the two dogs who chase Edgar as well as the English geese who furthermore unhinge the already weak plot.

The Aristocats has a few minor saving graces though. The opening scene has some nice pictures of Paris which gives it a vintage style, the underscore has a nice French ambiance to it and some of the voice talents actually fit with the setting - Eva Gabor gives the movie a touch of class. Oh - and the spectacular Everybody wants to be a cat, though a massive anachronism on the movie's behalf, stands as one of Disney's best songs for its brilliantly vibrant style and enough to get anyone up on their feet and dance with the feline beat.

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, Gatorgod, Telso

Blog Entries

I never really liked animation using the xerography technique, but that movie is by far the worst.

The scenes with Madame Bonfamille are just painful to watch.

46. The Three Caballeros (1944)

Something which makes The Three Caballeros different from all the other package movies is the connective tissue within all the shorts (a weak one, if that). It's Donald Duck's birthday and he opens a number of presents which all lead on to a new segment or vignette. It's a thematic follow up from Saludos Amigos but feels a lot less like a documentary and more like a zany, eccentric Looney Tunes programme. Out of all the 40s wartime films, this one is the most bizarre with many offbeat sequences which make no coherent sense but for the most part, it's mindless entertainment. It's strongest elements shows through the several different styles of animation. The blend of live-action with cartoon animation is so well done - the Bahia sequence stands out as one of the best parts of the movie. The music is bouncy and incredibly energetic, we get a memorable appearance by Aurora Miranda, the dances are fun and the animation of live-action and animation is perfectly timed and it gives us a flavour of the culture of South America. The Cold-Blooded Penguin and The Flying Gauchito function as interesting enough segments upon first viewing but feel ultimately forgettable.

The movie also oversees the newly introduced character - Panchito, a chirpy rooster who is set up with Jose and Donald. Their lead song "The Three Caballeros" is another sequence which remains upbeat and overwhelmingly energetic, one that sticks with you. The pacing and movement of the characters is so quick, it's hard to believe that this movie was made during the 1940s package era. The artistry of the movie really does deserve credit. So where does it fault? The finale of the movie (fittingly named Donald's Surreal Reverie) becomes a literal display of Donald going berserk for a load of Latino women...and it is disturbing - I wonder if those women even knew what the footage was going to be used for. The animation still has a high level of colour and fast-pace but watching Donald drooling over them becomes very uncomfortable for viewing and leaves the film on a down note. It's a shame too because a lot of the movie choices used for The Three Caballeros works really well. The visuals are colourful, the blend of live-action and animation looks amazing and ahead of its time as well as some really upbeat music and enjoyable shorts. But the choice to have the last third of the movie finish on such a surreal and weird segment is a deal-breaker for what was started off as amazing in The Three Caballeros.

38. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, Gatorgod

Blog Entries

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The animation in this movie is quite amazing, and the weird sequences which showcase the animators just having fun are the highlights. I have to disagree about the last act though. I know why it made you uncomfortable, but I laughed my ass off. Seeing Donald so ridiculously desperate and horny was not only hilarious, it wasn't too out-of-character either. He has always hit on ladies, even when he has Daisy as a girlfriend. Still, I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this movie. It deserves to be recognized for its acheivement in animation.

Thread Information