View Poll Results: Do you think Kirk'll acheive it?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 75.00%
  • Well, I wouldn't rule it out

2 10.00%
  • Unlikely, but there's a small possibility

0 0%
  • No

3 15.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Kirk Douglas will turn 100?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's that upsetting, I just find it kinda funny.

What does make me irritated is how ridiculously off-topic this thread has gotten. It's not like you have to only talk about his 100th birthday, it's also an appropriate thread for discussing the actor himself and his movies. I sure as hell didn't ask for a "talk about The Simpsons"/"shut up about The Simpsons" debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

100 is a huge milestone that's quite the feat for most people to reach. Here's hoping he makes it given how close he is at this point.

Not gonna delve into to the Simpsons section argument because it's spiralled well beyond what it should have and there's no changing the minds of people who are that wrapped up in the show.
    How to remaster

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Sorry if I'm not really into talking about Kirk Douglas in a thread that's wondering when he is going to die.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

you do start some really strange topics though

"I wonder when this beloved actor/Simpsons star is going to kick the bucket" isn't really the best way to start a discussion about that actor's work. Or can you not see that?

Blog Entries

I like that there's a poll so we can bet on when he'll die and see if we were right afterwards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old painty-can Ned View Post
    Sorry if I'm not really into talking about Kirk Douglas in a thread that's wondering when he is going to die.
    I agree it's fucked up and morbid. I'm just commenting on the aspect of turning 100 in general as being a pretty big thing for people. Anyone coming into the thread to be all "I bet he croaks soon" is an asshole.

@OldSchoolerSimpsons did you not stop to think that maybe making a thread to speculate on whether or not a person's gonna die soon isn't a good idea? Hell, if you really wanted to talk about this, why wouldn't you just wait until one or the other happens? It's not like we don't have RIP threads when a famous person passes on, and if Kirk reaches the 100 milestone then you could have made a thread on his birthday or something to be all "KIRK DOUGLAS IS 100! YAY!"

Doing it the way you did has far too much possibility of turning sour, regardless of the dumbass Simpsons posters.

Blog Entries

oss, without being rude (this really is a genuine question because i swear i've read it on here before) do you have aspergers? that would sort of explain why you would make such a morbid thread with a poll like this. it's a bit weird tbh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I agree it's fucked up and morbid. I'm just commenting on the aspect of turning 100 in general as being a pretty big thing for people. Anyone coming into the thread to be all "I bet he croaks soon" is an asshole.

@OldSchoolerSimpsons did you not stop to think that maybe making a thread to speculate on whether or not a person's gonna die soon isn't a good idea? Hell, if you really wanted to talk about this, why wouldn't you just wait until one or the other happens? It's not like we don't have RIP threads when a famous person passes on, and if Kirk reaches the 100 milestone then you could have made a thread on his birthday or something to be all "KIRK DOUGLAS IS 100! YAY!"
    I'm sorry, I can understand if this seemed a little bit inconsiderate. It wasn't my intention that it would be morbid. Sometimes an idea sounds better in my head than how it actually turns out. Regardless, the Simpsons debate this thread turned into is annoying.

The 100 birthday thread sounds like a better idea.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Turning 100 is quite an amazing thing and a goal I want to achieve but know I'm not gonna be able to accomplish. And it's five months away, I doubt he'll die before unless he's really unlucky.

Blog Entries

To answer Mr. Black, I've talked and joked very openly about my autism.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jim

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    ^ It's not an overreaction at this point imo because this shoehorning of the Simps into every other celebrity death thread is getting out of hand and is frankly kind of disrespectful to good people who did a lot outside one small guest voice on a cartoon. I dunno, couldn't you at least do a quick Wikipedia search or see some other stuff they were in before leaping to "RIP I remember them from that one season 23 ep?"
    It's an overreaction because it is a single post and it still has to do with the topic at hand, which is Kirk Douglas. You may have a different definition of "disrespectful" than I do because certainly remembering somebody's role as a guest star in a show does not qualify as disrespect for me (and Kirk is not even dead).

And no, my defense is not "It's a Simpsons forum!!1!", it's plain and simply that I don't see any reason to overreact and spend two pages because somebody didn't mention Spartacus or Paths of glory in a thread about Kirk Douglas.

Blog Entries

Paths of Glory is an okay episode

RIP Gordie Howe: Simpsons star
    RIP Prince: guy who was supposed to be a Simpsons star

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg, Sam

Blog Entries

You guys are making it sound like it's insulting to remember someone by being on The Simpsons. Just because there are usually things the person is better known for doesn't mean they can't be remembered most fondly by some people for their role on the show.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Blog Entries

RIP Michael Jackson, better known to Simpsons fans as John Jay Smith.

Blog Entries

If you aren't a fan of that particular person or their movies, but a Simpsons fan, chances are you're gonna remember them as a guest star. That'd be like saying it's disrespectful to just, not know about someone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    You guys are making it sound like it's insulting to remember someone by being on The Simpsons. Just because there are usually things the person is better known for doesn't mean they can't be remembered most fondly by some people for their role on the show.
    Pretty bad place to drop an accidental thumb lol

Blog Entries

liar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jal90 View Post
    And no, my defense is not "It's a Simpsons forum!!1!", it's plain and simply that I don't see any reason to overreact and spend two pages because somebody didn't mention Spartacus or Paths of glory in a thread about Kirk Douglas.
    Well no you weren't the one crying "Simpsons forum." I understand this might seem like an overreaction to one post but again this is a problem that has come up many times now

Blog Entries

And yes I think it's a bit inconsiderate to the rest of their career if you just go RIP Simpsons guest star without even knowing the first thing about who they were and what they did outside of a small guest stint on the Simps. It's one thing to say you're not too familiar with that person outside of their Simps appearance, but just looking at their death as "oh no we'll never see the Prince guest star episode" is definitely disrespectful to the rest of their career.

Blog Entries

Holy shit, can you guys please stop debating Simpsons talk in this thread?

Blog Entries

no

Blog Entries

The Day the Violence Died is a pre good ep I guess

Blog Entries

not a fan of arthur but i do like how there's a pretty decent discussion going on about it in the simpsons section. it's kinda funny.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    And yes I think it's a bit inconsiderate to the rest of their career if you just go RIP Simpsons guest star without even knowing the first thing about who they were and what they did outside of a small guest stint on the Simps. It's one thing to say you're not too familiar with that person outside of their Simps appearance, but just looking at their death as "oh no we'll never see the Prince guest star episode" is definitely disrespectful to the rest of their career.
    Except nothing of that was found in Biff's post. Biff's post consisted of two pieces of trivia regarding his work as a guest star in The Simpsons. No more no less.

And I still don't see what's so disrespectful about remembering somebody's work as a guest star in a series. I doubt he himself considers his role as Chester J. Lampwick an insult or disrespect to his film career.

It's not just about that one post. People have said it multiple times. It's aboutvit being an ongoing annoyance.

RIP Ingmar Bergman known from that one simpsons reference. RIP Kubrick master of getting parodied on The Simps

Blog Entries

Well at this point I'm just talking about remembering celebrities for nothing but Simpsons, but if you wanna focus on that one post from page one then whatever

And again it comes down to the way it's said. It's one thing to acknowledge that maybe you don't know them all too well:

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I can't say I'm too familiar with [Frank Sinatra Jr.'s] music and I really only know him for his guest star role in Family Guy, but this is still terrible news. Man, 2016 has been a terrible year for celebrity deaths, especially with musicians.

R.I.P
    But imo this just seems like you're only recognizing someone for a Simpsons guest voice and nothing more:

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I will always remember Rivers from The Ten-Per-Cent Solution. RIP.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 07-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Information