View Poll Results: Do you think Kirk'll acheive it?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 75.00%
  • Well, I wouldn't rule it out

2 10.00%
  • Unlikely, but there's a small possibility

0 0%
  • No

3 15.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Kirk Douglas will turn 100?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

No it's sad that people think of amazing actors/musicians and athletes as guest stars on the simps (and will post in their RIP threads as rip that simps guest star)and not the impacts of their actual careers on pop culture. I learned lots about pop culture from the simps but I don't like the trend of this board that treats the simps as the only tv program that's ever been watched or if you insult the show you're always met with "THEN JUST DONT POST ON THIS HERE SIMPSONS FAN BOARD" as if that's all this site is
    Last edited by Bart's treehouse; 07-20-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I don't even do that. I mean, since I don't know a lot about pop culture in general, I do see them as Simpsons guest stars. But I don't mention it threads related to them. I probably don't even post there at all.

And it is a Simpsons fan forum isn't it? It just has an off-topic section. Like every forum. Which happened to grow bigger when people got bored of talking about Simpsons. Still, I've never said you guys can't post here.

Blog Entries

I just can't fathom how you can even enjoy the Simpsons if it's all you watch. So many of its jokes require knowledge of pop culture that if it is the only thing you choose to surround yoursef with then there s no way you can get the majority of the show's jokes. And many of you have proved you don't even get a lot of the original jokes either, like you and Panther, surely more people, so How the fuck are you a Simpsons fan? I guess you guys still liking the show past the single digit seasons is evidence enough that you just don't get the stuff that made the good seasons...good

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

I'm wondering how YOU are a Simpsons fan if you think everything that made the classic era great is nothing but the jokes

Also you sure showed off how pop cultured you are. I am very impressed.

Would also like to see where I proved I don't understand the jokes

Blog Entries

Obviously you guys have showed off that you don't understand the emotional side either (complaining about the Mother Simpson, Iconoclast, on Ice, Rosebud etc endings) so that's not a point in your favor.

There are countless examples of you guys misunderstanding the show. It is like every other thread. Not getting the best of the shows jokes, either because of pop culture or just not getting it, overanalyzing it, and rating newer episodes just as good and sometimes even better than the actually good ones

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax, tyler

Blog Entries

"Actual good ones" ah there it is. The typical handy argument. Your opinion is superior to all. Agreed.

Also great, then you should have no problems showing me some examples I know I've "complained" about Rosebud, but that was about Homer's dumbass decision. I enjoy the ending.

This is not gonna get anywhere, I mean this is handy after all. But give it your best shot mate.

Blog Entries

i am right

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

Haha see? Can't even show any examples and will just make a smug joke cause he "knows" he is superior.

O well that was a fun ride

Blog Entries

like i'm sure someone with a photographic memory of the simpsons section would be able to pluck examples right out of his mind but i can't, sorry to say. i don't memorize a section i don't care about. all i can remember are relatively recent or obviously memorable ones. like remember when everyone thought that there was No innuendo in we put the spring in springfield, a song that is nothing but innuendo? or DO NOT TOUCH, WILLIE. pre glaring

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

Examples of me though. I wasn't even a part of the Spring In Springfield thing and idk what the hell you mean with the "Don't touch Willie" thing, something I must've missed.

That's those 2 debunked. Any more?

Blog Entries

and i probably have more posts in the simpsons section than you chris. don't act like i'm saying i'm superior to the section. i love the simpsons, and i enjoy talking about it sometimes, but it's not all i digest, and i am superior to its posters

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Twisted and disoriented Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But the wonderful thing about the show, or at least the classic era, is that you don't need to understand everything in order to enjoy the show. So what if I don't get some innuendo? We Put the Spring in Springfield is a delightful song regardless. And some of the newer episodes ARE just as good as the older ones in my opinion. People get enjoyment out of different things.

Also, I have no problem with the ending of Rosebud. It's the whole "Maggie deserves the bear" thing I don't like. And just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't "get" it.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Blog Entries

I didn't say you think you're superior to the section, you think you're superior to everyone no matter what. Even if it's regarding The Simpsons or not it's annoying.

Blog Entries

Kirk Douglas will probably turn 100 I bet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Also, I have no problem with the ending of Rosebud. It's the whole "Maggie deserves the bear" thing I don't like. And just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't "get" it.
    yet this demonstrates a ridiculous lack of knowledge of the characters' ideals and their emotions. how can someone that is such a simpsons fanatic drop the ball so much on such a positive character moment. and it's not just this, it's again, the lisa on ice/iconoclast endings as well. i'm sure you've complained about other good emotional moments and endings

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Insomnia, tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    But the wonderful thing about the show, or at least the classic era, is that you don't need to understand everything in order to enjoy the show. So what if I don't get some innuendo? We Put the Spring in Springfield is a delightful song regardless. And some of the newer episodes ARE just as good as the older ones in my opinion. People get enjoyment out of different things.

I first started watching The Simpsons when I was a kid, and yes, there were a lot of references I didn't get, but I still was able to enjoy the show. Understanding the references now has made me appreciate it even more, but it wasn't necessary to like most of the episodes I saw (some, like Homer's Barbershop Quartet, probably require a larger base of pop culture knowledge to appreciate).

Modern episodes like "Homerland" are an example of references taken too far; if you don't know Homeland, then it's hard to appreciate that episode. That's the kind of thing I don't like. Knowledge of pop culture will enhance your enjoyment of The Simpsons, but it shouldn't be required to even understand most of the episode (so while I did like A Clockwork Yellow, because I was already familiar with A Clockwork Orange, I understand why some didn't like it for that very reason).
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

chris how are you a family guy fan? seriously doubt you get even half the references to stupid 80s pop culture garbage.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so people complaining about one dumb but innocuous post relating the simpsons to the thread topic has now turned into a full-on discussion about the simpsons with absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

uh yea

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

This is far more interesting than wondering when someone is going to die.

Blog Entries

I can still be a fan

Blog Entries

"You don't have to get the references to enjoy the show" is all fine and good, but I don't think that is something people should use as a security blanket to justify not getting familiar with what's being referenced/parodied. Not saying you're required to watch anything, but you should feel encouraged to watch new things especially if it means understanding and building context to a show you love. It will always ultimately make you appreciate an episode more. That and not everything revolves around The Simpsons and you might end up loving something else for what it is.

Anyway it's quite a feat that Kirk Douglas is reaching 100. I've been meaning to watch Spartacus soon, as I believe it's the only Kubrick related thing that's been left dangling from me seeing for some time.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old painty-can Ned View Post
    No it's sad that people think of amazing actors/musicians and athletes as guest stars on the simps (and will post in their RIP threads as rip that simps guest star)and not the impacts of their actually careers on pop culture. I learned lots about pop culture from the simps but I don't like the trend of this board that treats the simps as the only tv program that's ever been watched or if you insult the show you're always met with "THEN JUST DONT POST ON THIS HERE SIMPSONS FAN BOARD" as if that's all this site is
    It's surprisingly less sad than you are implying.

The overreaction on biff's post has been quite amazing. Even taken as an uncalled for reference, it's still an informative one. Innocuous at most.

On topic... wait, is there even a topic here anymore? Oh yeah. Kirk Douglas is a cool guy. He will turn 100 if he doesn't die before. Here, discussed.

Blog Entries

^ It's not an overreaction at this point imo because this shoehorning of the Simps into every other celebrity death thread is getting out of hand and is frankly kind of disrespectful to good people who did a lot outside one small guest voice on a cartoon. I dunno, couldn't you at least do a quick Wikipedia search or see some other stuff they were in before leaping to "RIP I remember them from that one season 23 ep?"

Blog Entries

I agree with that. Just calling them a "Simpsons guest star" is excluding many other great roles they did.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

Also this constant defense of "it's a Simpsons forum!!!!1" is getting tiring. Like the fact that the website is a Simpsons forum doesn't mean you can drop refs in random and sometimes inappropriate places

Also, who cares if another terrible OSS thread stays on topic or not? Threads are meant to move around. It makes for better, more natural conversation.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah it's bad if the simpsons is your only reference point for huge celebrities and if it is then you should definitely make an effort to explore more art and maybe don't make a post about it in a death thread or whatever, but it also feels inherently silly to me to complain about posts about the simpsons on a website dedicated to the simpsons, even if it is the off-topic section. obviously there shouldn't be long conversations about the simpsons (like this one!) in the off-topic section, but getting worked up over a single reference seems ridiculous. just roll your eyes and scroll passed it. the simpsons is the one thing everybody here is interested in so its gonna come up once in a while, it kinda comes with the territory of boarding on a website called nohomers.net.

36. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

Blog Entries

i mean when it's the only thing this particular user wants to talk about in celebrity threads...

he's never said anything in any celeb thread, death thread or otherwise, that wasn't related to the simpsons. this is the guy that was all "ah too bad prince died i guess we won't get a sequel to stark raving dad now!"

38. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

eh it's one thing if it's just one post or some offhand Simps ref in an off topic thread, but RIP Simpsons Guest Star has been getting on people's nerves for a while now.

Thread Information