Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

finally saw civil war and i enjoyed it for all the reasons others have already mentioned, so i'll just focus on the few things that annoyed me. first and foremost i hate it in movies/tv shows when people don't bother to explain or argue things in the most obvious way. like, when everyone was pissed off about the explosion at the beginning why did no one say "uhh, yeah he exploded and killed people, but he would have exploded on the street and killed just as many if not more people. and oh, by the way we stopped him from stealing a biological weapon. you're welcome fucks." were they just too lazy to come up with a legitimate response to these arguments so they pretended no one would bother saying it? and with regards to the overarching argument that the avengers need oversight i'd be like, "so we need oversight from the same people who were being secretly controlled by nazis for 50 years and didn't even realize it? and oh by the way, you're welcome again for us taking care of that." and neither cap nor iron man ever articulates their position to the other in any serious way. they both had valid points that they didn't bother explaining to the other (for the most part). it's just immediately like "oh you disagree fuck you"

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Torrens

thought i'd move it over here as not to derail the star wars thread
    i think you're correct in saying that yeah that parker hasn't been doing his job for as long as the others. hell, he was in his first big fight in civil war. so yeah i hope the solo film focuses on his character the most.

however, i don't think it'll be a problem if morales is introduced as a character though. they don't necessarily have to make him important, just have him there to build on. if they establish his character now they don't have to in the future.

Blog Entries

The Inhumans are getting their own tv show in 2017. The series will star Black Bolt and the rest of the royal family.

https://news.marvel.com/tv/54407/mar...imax-abc-2017/

Well, that's pretty much the end of the Inhumans movie. Once you get a Marvel television series, it means your guaranteed to never appear in a Marvel movie ( unless your Peggy Carter). Not only that, but their introducing Black Bolt and his family too, the classic and iconic Inhumans that are popular with fans. Regardless, I'll still watch the show for its first episode just to see the depiction of the Royal family.

Also, in a weird piece of trivia, it turns out Fox was the one who owned the film rights to Ego the Living Planet, but agreed to give the character back to Marvel in exchange for being allowed to change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's personality and powers for Deadpool.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7418271.html
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 11-18-2016 at 10:18 PM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I went and saw Doctor Strange earlier this week; I was a bit skeptical but I quickly ended up enjoying it.

Oh, and this was released the other day:

Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-17-2017 at 11:23 PM.

dammit i was gonna make a thread for that. i still might though

Blog Entries

really excited for GOTG 2, that's gonna be an opening day(or at the very least, opening weekend) movie for sure.

I'm falling behind, and I still need to see Age of Ultron and Ant-Man, not to mention Doctor Stranger(though that's newer so that's not a big deal). man, a few years ago I loved these movies and wouldn't dare miss them, now it's like "Yea, I still need to get on that." I plan to do so by the time the next Guardians is out

Blog Entries

i should stick to posting about things like this
    it's fuckin spider-man : )))
    tom holland pulls off the awkward teen thing so well
    i read up about some of the characters in this movie and it's very different to the lore i'm familiar with. i guess i gotta learn more about ned leeds and whoever before the movie comes out
    plus the vulture is the villain this time which is pretty new

also in perfect dumb youtube spirit people were commenting wow why is mary jane black when referring to liz allen. i mean, peter even calls her liz during the trailer. how stupid can you be?

i'm very excited for this movie tho. the trailer didn't live up to all my expectations but then again neither did antman and that was still a great movie

i just hope that it's spider-man's movie, not a tony stark/spider-man movie
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

I doubt it will be able to top raimi's films, but this looks really fun and seems to capture modern spider-man perfectly. it'll atleast be better than the ASM series

It looks really good and I'll definitely see it, but I'm still not with the whole Robert Dowey Jr/Iron Man involvement (I really feel he's getting overexposed due to his popularity and bankability); this should be a Spider-Man movie and not an Iron Man Feat. Spider-Man movie so I hope he won't be in it too much (even though it looks like he's in it a lot).

Blog Entries

I've never been big into spider-man but that trailer was pretty good I thought

Blog Entries

Dr. Strange was a fantastic movie. Mordo was an interesting character who has good chemistry with Strange and I'm looking forward to seeing where their going to take his character in future films. The only real problem with this film is that Kaecilius ended up being another forgettable throughway villain (especially since Zemo was so memorable in Civil War), with poorly explained motivations. They mentioned briefly that he was broken too when he met the Ancient One, but then he just gives a big speech to Dr. Strange about being immortal. I guess maybe he meant being immortal with his loved ones, but it wasn't very clear. Not to mention,   he was just a pawn to Dormammu and it looks like he turned into a Mindless One at the end, so we're not going to see him again. 

Also, to be super nitpicky   I was disappointed that Dormammu's head wasn't on fire. I also wish they didn't make his face look purple, I actually thought he was Thanos for a moment there.  

Quote Originally Posted by soup for all seasons View Post
    i read up about some of the characters in this movie and it's very different to the lore i'm familiar with. i guess i gotta learn more about ned leeds and whoever before the movie comes out
    Nah, this movie's version of Ned Leeds doesn't appear to anything like the comics and is much more like Ganke, Miles Morales' best friend (In the comics, Leeds was a reporter for the Daily Bugle and a rival for Peter because they both had feelings over Betty Brant, until Ned married her after Peter and Betty broke up and moved on, then it turned out he was the Hobgoblin and was assassinated by another villain, until it was retconned years later by the writer who created Hobgoblin that Leeds was only brainwashed and the real Hobgoblin was someone else).

It looks like this film's version of Peter is going to have some elements of Miles Morales too.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 12-22-2016 at 09:15 PM.

So reviews for the Iron Fist Netflix series has started popping up and it doesn't look good at all; the majority of the reviews are negative. I'm surprised that this show would fail; how can you mess up a story about a guy who gains mystic kung-fu powers and fights evil? Seems like Marvel and Netflix found a way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7618121.html

Blog Entries

does anyone here watch legion?
    i don't know why i like it because i don't really know what's going on half the time, but the story and the characters and the fuckin stunning cinematography are pulling me through

Blog Entries

I do. I think Legion is absolutely amazing. I admit, I didn't have hopes for it when it was first announced (I'm not a fan of Marvel's current shows that aren't on Netflix, and Legion is barely even a C-lister in the comics), but I wanted to try it out, just because I was amazed that Marvel finally agreed to let Fox make an X-Men live action series. I'm glad i did, because the show is absolutely amazing.

I mean, it's weird as hell and I barely understand what's going on, or who the characters are, or if any of this is actually happening or not (which I assume is the point), but that's just part of the appeal to me and what makes the show so unique and such a blast to watch.

Blog Entries

teaser for the third thor has been released. I've been curious about this film for a while because of the director, and because it's supposed to have a 'lighter' tone than the first two, which you can definitely see in the teaser. I like it though, pretty excited to see this when it comes out

I was skeptical of the movie but now when I have been the trailer it looks pretty enjoyable and already better than the first two (and it almost looks like a crossover with Guardians Of The Galaxy).

Blog Entries

Anything to improve over the bland first two is something I'm looking forward to watching. The films took themselves way too seriously and it might fix itself in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

I never understood the dislike of the first one, I thought it was decent enough. the second is more forgettable than anything. seen it a couple times and aside from a few moments I remember next to nothing

Blog Entries

Never saw the thor movies and the "now we're wacky!" stuff doesn't really make me want to see this one either

I think I am more sympathetic to @ManiacalRoboKiller's complaints about marvel movies being quipfests now

I found this and it might be an relevant read:

http://screenrant.com/marvel-thor-movies-humor-funny/

So far I haven't really taken issue with the quipping and to be honest I'd rather have a superhero movie with many quips than a dour & overserious mess like Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice (it's important even for dark superhero movies to have levity and not take themselves all too seriously; for instance, Batman Begins did this and even Logan did).

I think the biggest problem with several of the MCU movies isn't the quips but that the action and effects often feel much more important than the story and plot; for instance, Doctor Strange started well but devolved into this (especially in the last act) and the good stuff such as the character's training was more or less rushed through.

Blog Entries

The only time the constant jokes and quips in the MCU bothered me was in Age of Ultron, where the stakes were supposed to be higher then ever, yet everyone spent most of their making quips about the situation. Especially Ultron himself, who the trailers made out to be the greatest threat ever, but outside of a few moments, he mostly spent his time making jokes too, which was one of my two biggest complaints about him (the other was that I felt his motives and plans were unclear for most of the film, since it felt like the writers couldn't decide if Ultron wanted to rule humanity or wipe them out until the meteor plot came in).

Honestly, even though it looks like it's trying to copy the style of Guardians of the Galaxy a lot, I found the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok to be pretty fun. It looks like it'll have a lot of energy and excitement in it, something I feel like the first two Thor films were missing a lot. I'm hoping that the Thor/Hulk dynamic will make things more interesting too. While they weren't exactly bad, the first two Thor movies were mostly just ok films, though the first one was much better then the second one, since I found The Dark World to be almost completely forgettable outside of any scenes featuring Loki and the crazy brainwashed doctor from The Avengers film, and the post-credits scene with the Collector that establishes the Infinity Gems.

I'm also hoping that Hela ends up a pretty cool and interesting antagonist, especially since the last Thor film gave us Malekith, who is the absolute worst villain we've seen in the entire MCU so far, for being so forgettable thanks to being totally bland and having pretty much no backstory or motivations (he wants to destroy everything with the Infinity Gem because...he's evil, I guess).

So here's hoping Ragnarok ends up being a breath of fresh air for the Thor films.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

I agree that Age Of Ultron was way too joky, humorous and quippy considering it felt like it was meant to be one of the more serious films in the franchise; Joss Whedon has a bad habit of making the characters super snarky and sarcastic all the time and that can hurt the film.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-17-2017 at 11:24 PM.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

So according to early reviews of the Inhumans pilot, the show is completely terrible, and Marvel and ABC have been playing damage control by taking down all the online articles that mention the bad reviews.

Honestly, I have no idea if the Inhumans show will end up being as bad as the early reviews are saying it is, but as someone who has never even wanted the Inhumans to have a tv show, much less a movie back when that was the original plan, I don't really care, and I'd be glad if Marvel's desperate attempts to try and push the Inhumans as the next big thing on their tv shows finally comes to an end (especially since their finally letting Fox create X-Men shows now).

On a better note, Spider-Man: Homecoming was amazing (Tom Holland and Michael Keaton were perfect in their roles) and I have high hopes for Thor: Ragnarok, since it definitely looks a lot more interesting and fun then the first two Thor movies, and Black Panther, because the trailer looks amazing. Captain Marvel is also something I'm looking forward to, especially because their going to introduce the Skrulls into the MCU, something I never thought was going to happen (but then again, if they can include  the Watchers,   I suppose anything is possible).

The Inhumans looked terrible, not surprised by the bad reviews.

Oof bummer. I'm catching up on Agents of Shield right now so I'm deep into their Inhumans "Framework" plot right now. I wasn't excited for the Inhumans movie/show either but I was enjoying what Shield was touching on.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

I don't think I ever watched the Inhumans trailer; I've seen Agents of Shield (the first three seasons; still haven't watched any of the fourth, the most recent one) and while the Inhumans stuff was good (season 2 which heavily dealt with them was my favorite) I just didn't find a show about them that appealing (maybe because I was burnt out after SHIELD S3, which felt like an ending in a way). The show being garbage (which was predicted by the response the trailer got) sucks for those who were looking forward to it, but since I never really had an interest in the project I can't say I too am disappointed.

Speaking more of the Marvel shows, I am interested in The Defenders, though (and on another note, I am still missing Agent Carter which was surprisingly good; it should never have been cancelled).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 08-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Inhumans continues to sound like a mess. According to people behind the scenes, production was very rushed because Marvel wanted to the show to be made as quickly and cheaply as possible. The entire two-part pilot was shot with IMAX cameras in twenty days, even though IMAX cameras are extremely difficult to work with and are very time-consuming. Not helping matters is that a recent panel to promote the show ended in disaster, with the actor playing Black Bolt comparing himself to Ben Affleck in the infamous "Sad Affleck" videos and head of Marvel's television Jeph Loeb getting hostile with the critics and reporters at the panel.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#12d032fb4577

Blog Entries

Will most definitely go see Black Panther. It looks pretty interesting and promising (and considering it's the final movie before Infinity War I'm pretty sure it will have some prominent stuff that will lead in to the latter).

So what did you folks think of Thor: Ragnarok (that is if you have seen it)?

Like I said in the Last Movie You Watched thread I though it was very fun and enjoyble; it's easily the best Thor movie. Big fan of how it felt like they combined the Thor franchise with Guardians Of The Galaxy to make it really sprawling, colorful and humourous (the 80's feel I got from it was also pretty neat) & I liked the cast of new characters.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-29-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Has anybody else wondered how some random guy could just come along and be so good at using his super-hero suit so well, including the weapons? I mean, Black Panther was just some African Prince, not trained in any kind of super-hero fighting, yet when he donned the suit, he was an expert at using it, lol.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Thread Information