Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Marvel Cinematic Universe

I thought we could have a general discussion thread for the still steadily ongoing and expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe and all the numerous movies and TV series it encompasses, both released and upcoming, so here it is. Feel free to post new trailers, make lists of favorites or whatever.

If you are unsure of what films and TV series are part of the franchise, you can find out which ones are here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

So I finished Season 2 of Daredevil a while back (I thought it was better than S1 much due to a faster and tighter pacing) and I will probably go see the much hyped Civil War movie if it really is all that great; I feel I've gotten a bit more picky with their movies to be honest as all of them haven't been that fantastic, either from the start or due to not holding up so well on a rewatch, but I will still see the new ones one way or another.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

top 3
    cap 2
    antman
    guardians of the galaxy

super excited for civil war and doctor strange too
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I finally saw Ant-Man a couple weeks back, loved it. I so hoped Michael Douglas' daughter got a suit too so the credits scene was a great surprise. Hope she doesn't turn evil or anything in the sequel, I'd hate that. That 1989 Douglas looked damn near flawless btw. Also made me feel old. First time I can recall a scene in the past where I was still alive in that past, albeit a year old.

Hired Goon

These movies are always fun. I haven't disliked a single one. If I had to name a least favorite, it would probably be the Thor movies. Not that I don't like them; he's just kinda omnipotent so it's hard to care too much, and plus all the fantasy Norse god stuff is a little bland to me. I will say I liked the first Thor more than the second.

I really like Cap. He's so hilariously polite. Some may find him too vanilla, but I like the dude. His movies are great, too. Civil War looks kinda like a mini-Avengers, but I'm looking forward to it just the same.

I actually thought The Incredible Hulk was really good. It's a shame they don't have another standalone Hulk movie coming any time soon. (And for the record, the 2003 Hulk was not terrible, it was just too damn long)

Spider-Man Homecoming is probably my most anticipated MCU movie at the moment. As frustrating as all of the Spider-Man rebooting has been, I'm very optimistic about it. At least it won't be another origin story!

Even though these films are as cookie-cutter as they come, they're always guaranteed entertainment and I can't help but have a blast watching them. They don't take themselves too seriously and embrace their comic book heritage by just being a lot of fun. My introduction to the universe came through The Avengers, despite knowing next to nothing about Marvel properties, the joy and care they put into the films was evident from the outset. My affection for Joss Whedon's style of writing probably helped ease the transition. I even didn't mind the sequel too much since it focused a lot more on character than many of the others. The Captain America films and its subsets are my favourites, however. There's a lot of great stuff there, and Agent Carter, both the character and show, is a delight.

I'm not as keen on the TV side of things, but Jessica Jones was a lot of fun too. David Tennant's delightfully wicked performance played a significant role in my enjoyment, but Krysten Ritter made for an immensely likeable protagonist. Daredevil is a bit too dour for my liking, and Agents of SHIELD is a bit of a mess.

The F4 reboot was the only Marvel movie that let me down, I wasn't influenced by bad press or bad reviews going in.

Blog Entries

the thor movies are incredibly bad. probably the only marvel cu movies that are tho. its hardly even marvels fault. you cant make a good movie out of such a dull character

Blog Entries

and while its good the new spiderman wont be another origin, im tired of the constant reboots and i doubt it will top the raimi spidermans, which are obv king

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BrokenBox

Agents of SHIELD has easily gotten a ton better than when it first premiered. Right now we're up to the reveal of the Secret Warriors which is exciting. Skye went from being incredibly frustrating and irritating to being pretty competent and likable as Daisy. We're at the point where we WANT to see her save the day. Show has really kicked into gear.

Agent Carter seemed to pack more of a punch in its two seasons but there's a bit of a safety net there since we all know Peggy lives a fairly fulfilling life. They also kinda far too neatly tied up Madame Masque but it was a fun ride, at least.

Daredevil is pretty great so far. Gritty of course, and can make me somewhat squeamish with just how rough and "real" a lot of the fighting gets but that just makes the entire show better. It's like poetry just watching Murdock bash assholes' faces in.

Jessica Jones is the one I still need to start on. I'm thinking will give it a go between viewings of Daredevil. Have heard nothing but great things.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

guardians of the galaxy reigns supreme for me. really looking forward to civil war and the first spider-man movie too.

Blog Entries

gonna check out daredevil season 2 soon
    loved the shit outta jessica jones
    david tennant

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Daredevil is the best thing Marvel has done on either the big or small screen, I have three episodes left in season 2. The fight choreography is off the charts and it fully captures the feel of the comics. Adding the Punisher into the mix was a great way to introduce him into the MCU and should set up well for a spin-off series.

It still amazes me how Marvel turned regular D-list characters like Guardians of The Galaxy and Ant-Man into hit movies. These two and the Thor movies are the only ones I haven't seen since I wasn't a big fan of the comics(basically they didn't have their own titles other than Thor when I was growing up). I will check out Dr. Strange however since it will have a different feel to the other Marvel movies and is one character who I wasn't really into during my comic book reading days who I want to find out more about.

I hope all these movies don't burn the public out on them though as Marvel and Fox will have similar stories and villains with Age Of Apocalypse/Thanos Infinity War. Add in Darkseid in the DC universe and you will have some casual fans think they are just copying each other.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

That hallway fight early on in Daredevil might be my favorite fight sequence ever at the moment. It was so well choreographed and staged that it left me stunned and just going "wow." I wanted to immediately rewind and see it again.

Blog Entries

yeah that episode made me fall in love with the show
    and then when they finally talked about Fisk's background it elevated it from legendary to whatever is above that
    love daredevil

We took a small break right at his introduction.

His first line at the gallery...I didn't know what to think. I want to love him, feel bad for him already and I know exactly a few seconds of him. He's probably done so much awful shit, but what a human moment for him to have right off the bat.

Blog Entries

oh god just you wait
    never thought i could feel that bad about someone that bad you know?

Blog Entries

I'm a big MCU fan and as a lifelong fan of the comics, I'm glad to see these characters get the treatment they deserve. My favorite films are Winter Soldier, GOTG, and Avengers. My least favorite are the Iron Man sequels and the Thor films; they weren't bad, just not as good as the others. The only MCU related thing I don't like is Agents of SHIELD, partly because I don't find it interesting, and partly because I don't like Marvel's constant attempts at pushing the Inhumans (both in the show and the comics).

I'm looking forward to CIvil War, I've wanted to see Spider-Man in an MCU film for a long time, plus Black Panther looks completely awesome. Dr. Strange looks like it'll be fun too, and I'm excited for Spidey's new movie. I'm still in the middle of watching Jessica Jones (It's great so far). I haven't seen season 2 of Daredevil yet, but I loved the first season, so I'm sure it'll be just as good/
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I actually thought The Incredible Hulk was really good. It's a shame they don't have another standalone Hulk movie coming any time soon. (And for the record, the 2003 Hulk was not terrible, it was just too damn long)
    I liked The Incredible Hulk film too. From what I understand, Universal owns the solo film rights for the Hulk, so while he can appear in any other Marvel films like the Avengers, he can't appear in a film all by himself unless they work out a deal with Universal. It kind of sucks that we'll never The Leader make an appearance in a Marvel film though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    The F4 reboot was the only Marvel movie that let me down, I wasn't influenced by bad press or bad reviews going in.
    F4 wasn't an MCU film, just a terrible Marvel film Fox only made so that they wouldn't lose the rights to the F4.

Yeah, SHIELD is another weird one for me since they were mostly side characters in other titles (interestingly in the Daredevil Last Rites arc and in the early portion of the 90's X-Men reboot) I read and didn't grab my interest. The spy genre has a big fan base though.

I go with what I read when I was younger so Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are off my radar as well.

Fox bungling the FF franchise is really frustrating. They need to turn it over to Marvel. How can you have the Infinity War without the Silver Surfer?

I hope Marvel Studios will get the rights for Fantastic Four. After the repeated misfires from Fox it really is time for the characters to end up in a new yard. Sony got their act together after both of their failures with Spider-Man and cooperates with Marvel for the Spider-Man Homecoming movie (which I look forward to and hopefully they won't mess it up like they did with Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2) but I'm not counting on Fox doing something similar.

Regarding the MCU shows, Agents Of SHIELD improved a lot after the first season and is quite enjoyable, Agent Carter has been a pleasantly nice surprise and Daredevil is entertaining and interesting so far. Jessica Jones was fine but it's definitely the weakest of them to me; the major problem is that it felt like they dragged out the plot which could have been done in 6 or 8 episodes instead of in 13 and a lot of the side stuff like the subplots came off as padding to fill time; furthermore, it also had aspects which felt really edgy for the sake of being edgy, perhaps even more so than Dardevil, which despite being more violent seem to handle the edgier content better.

With both Dardevil and Jessica Jones being rather dark and dreary shows I look forward to see an eventual lighter and softer MCU show on Netflix to change things up a bit (we get stuff like that in the movies but it would be nice with such a show besides DD and JJ).

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only Marvel films i'm actively excited for are the new Spider-man (c'mon, it's a MARVEL Spider-man, I gotta be excited) and Civil War. There's a ton of Marvel movies coming out, it's like a blitz - hard to keep up with.

Blog Entries

At least Sony was able to crank out two or three (depends on how you feel about TASM1) really great Spider-Man movies before they gave up and joined Marvel. Fox has never been able to make a Fantastic Four movie that's been anything other then mediocre at best. At this point, the only reason Fox wouldn't back Marvel the rights is either out of spite or to avoid embarrassing themselves (if they give back the rights now and Marvel makes a great F4 movie, there would be a lot of questions raised about why Fox couldn't make a great film themselves, especially at whoever was in charge of Fox and the F4 license).

I did hear that Marvel tried to work out a deal with Fox where they would extend their rights for Daredevil in exchange for the rights to the F4, or at least the cosmic characters associated with it (Silver Surfer and Galactus and the like). Fox refused, so Marvel got back the rights to Daredevil and made a hit tv show with it, and Fox made a huge disaster that probably made them lose more money then if had just gave Marvel back the rights.

Still, it would be pretty awesome to see the Silver Surfer in Infinity War. Or even seeing a good Doctor Doom on the big screen.

It's is kind of too bad Sony gave up on Amazing Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield blew Toby McGuire out of the water and Gwen Stacy>Mary Jane. There was a lot of potential in that franchise.

Blog Entries

lol andrew garfield is the worst spiderman ive seen. id even be able to forgive that if they werent the blandest movies ever made. tobey maguire was at least believable as the character, and the raimi movies are sheer fun. even spiderman 3 is not bad. certainly better than amazing spiderman

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BrokenBox, Camo, pax

I thought the Amazing Spider Man movies captured the feel of the comics much better than the Raimi movies. AMS had much more levity than the Raimi movies which were a bit too melodramatic and dour. McGuire's look and portrayal was a bit too emotionally fragile while Garfield had just the right amount of alpha male in him to capture the wise ass side of Spider Man much better.

Blog Entries

I liked both Maguire and Garfield in the role, I think they captured different aspects of Peter Parker well (Maguire was more about Peter being the nice guy who kept going even when life kept sucking, Garfield was more the sarcastic jokester that cracked a quip every five minutes) Garfield was one of the better parts of the TASM films, especially his chemistry with Emma Stone. It's just that Garfield had to make do with a weak script and really needed better writing.

While I love the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films (well, mostly the first two), I did enjoy the first Amazing film and I thought it had potential to kickstart a franchise that might have been really good, it's just that the sequel is where everything fell apart: Too many subplots that overcrowded everything, three villains was too much (a problem that from SM3 that Sony clearly did not learn from), Uncle Ben was essentially kicked to the curve (and his killer never caught) and all his importance in Peter's life is ignored in favor of Richard Parker, scenes that exist just to set-up sequels and spin-off's, and Electro was such an over-the-top loser nerd stereotype at the beginning that he actually becomes more subtle and nuanced when he becomes a glowing supervillain. Also the shift from constant night shots in the first film to almost always being in the day in the second film feels like that Sony had decided to copy the MCU for the second film. Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst superhero film I've ever seen (that would be the F4 reboot), but it was a huge disappointment.

You know things are messed up when the evil German scientist (Dr. Kafka) that experiments on Electro acts more like a stereotypical Nazi then the actual Nazi's in Captain America.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 04-20-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Amazing Spiderman 2 was terrible. The music going when the bad guy talks... felt like I was watching a youtube mashup video with footage from the actual movie put to music.

Quote Originally Posted by SuitOfDrugs View Post
    Amazing Spiderman 2 was terrible. The music going when the bad guy talks... felt like I was watching a youtube mashup video with footage from the actual movie put to music.
    Even the late James Horner (who composed the score for the first Amazing Spider-Man) knew the sequel was gonna suck; he turned down the opportunity of scoring it (calling it "terrible" and "just dreadful"), leaving Hans Zimmer to do the job with his remote control team (abandoning Horner's themes from the first one).

Despite the new Spider-Man movie being one to look forward to, the one I'm really excited for is Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (coming next year like Spidey); the first is still my fave of them all and I cannot see the next one being a letdown.

Blog Entries

im so embarrassingly excited for civil war tonight
    pls be good movie, I have faith in the russo brothers

Blog Entries

shuan mentioned this in tinychat yesterday. in 2018 an animated spider-man movie is coming out written by phil lord & chris miller... god i need this now

Blog Entries

holy fuck dude
    that's gonna be awesome
    they smashed it with the scripts for the lego movie and jump street and stuff so im sure they'll knock it outta the park with this

Thread Information