Thread: A Speedy Gonzales movie is on its way

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

A Speedy Gonzales movie is on its way

Yep, WB is planning to bring back a classic on the big screen, with Mexican filmmaker/actor Eugenio Derbez lending his voice to Speedy.

“In Mexico we grew up watching Speedy Gonzales,” Derbez told Deadline. “He was like a superhero to us, or maybe more like a revolutionario like Simon Bolivar or Pacho Villa. He watched out for the little people but with a lot of bravado and a weakness for the ladies. I’m really excited to be bringing this character to the big screen. And besides being Mexican— my full name is Eugenio Derbez Gonzalez and I have big ears. The casting couldn’t be better.”

The in-development project, which is tentatively entitled Speedy, will be produced by Dylan Sellers via Rivers Edge Films and Derbez and Ben Odell via their 3pas Studios. Hank Nelken (Are We Done Yet?, Saving Silverman) has been hired to script the story, which is described as a heist caper. The project (which apparently was spilled by the Tracking Board) will likely be cut into both English- and Spanish-speaking versions.

“We see this as an origin story of the great master, like a Robin Hood character, who ultimately ends up taking from the rich and giving to the poor,” said Sellers. “In a time when Donald Trump is gaining momentum, the world needs Speedy more than ever.”
    Full article: http://deadline.com/2016/04/speedy-g...os-1201730245/

Interesting that Eugenio makes reference to Trump's popularity as being a reason for bringing Speedy back. I'd like to think that's there's some more creative reasons behind it beyond a simple "Fuck you" to Trump and his boner for building a border wall, but of course, this is probably the biggest opportunity they could ask for to make a character like Speedy relevant again, and I appreciate the enthusiasm for playing the role that Eugenio has as well as his understanding of the character.

Here's hoping they don't forget about Speedy's cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez.:P
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

they were supposedly making a speedy film some years back starring george lopez, guess that one is long gone.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Thank God for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

DAE remember when they were gonna make a Marvin the Martian movie with Mike Meyers? Sure am glad that's not happening any time soon.

I feel pretty meh about this. Speedy has never been one of my favourite LT characters but this movie could still be interesting. The fact that Speedy can move so quickly could lead to some cool high speed chase sequence or something though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I´m a Speedy fan so this could be good. I liked Back In Action so i hope it´s atleast on the same level as that one.

Quote Originally Posted by super nintendo chalmers View Post
    they were supposedly making a speedy film some years back starring george lopez, guess that one is long gone.
    They were planning too make several live-action movies for the Looney Tunes characters several years back. Haven´t heard of any of them in forever so i guess they all got dropped.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 04-06-2016 at 04:43 AM.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Andale andele, arriba, arriba!

Haven't seen Speedy in a while. Would like if this was 2D animation as opposed to CGI. What are the odds of that at this point?
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Would like if this was 2D animation as opposed to CGI. What are the odds of that at this point?
    My guts says zero but consider the fact that Space Jam still is kind of this cult nostalgic thing right now to the point of rumors for a sequel constantly popping up... that combined with the Spongebob film from last year with 75% traditional (despite the marketing) and the recent Nicktoons revivals... it's not impossible.

Yet we're still getting CGI Smurfs movies so yeah they'd probably have this one be live-action/CGI. Which, in that case, I'll pass.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Remembering those 3D Road Runner bits from "The Looney Tunes Show", I'd like to think they learned their lesson and just stick to 2D.

I've never been huge into Speedy Gonzalez, and partially sharing the same name as Slowpoke wasn't exactly fun for me growing up. Kinda neat that they're gonna bring him back, though. I wonder if Sylvester will show up at any point?
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

It's a weird idea for a movie, but I'm totally up for it. It's always great to see Warner Bros doing something with Looney Tunes, and Speedy is a cool enough character that making a film about him might actually work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    They were planning too make several live-action movies for the Looney Tunes characters several years back. Haven´t heard of any of them in forever so i guess they all got dropped.
    I think Warner Bros quietly cancelled all of those films after Back in Action failed to become the big hit they thought it would be and ended up bombing at the box office.

Not to mention that it seems like they've been struggling for the last couple of years to try and reinvent Looney Tunes for the kids by doing anything they can think of, from Loonatics Unleashed to The Looney Tunes Show to Wabbit.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I'm not really sure how they can manage to make any Looney Tunes movie based on one character and have them carry the whole film, let alone Speedy Gonzales. The same thing goes for that Marvin the Martian project which I'm glad never saw the light of day and I think they were even planning to make a Pepe Le Pew movie at one point which is stupid considering how one-note of a character he is and pretty much ever Looney Tunes short based on him tend to be the same. I really think it just makes more sense to have a movie that focuses on a lot more characters like Looney Tunes: Back in Action which was decent and I do think it's overhated. It still could be good, but the idea of a movie based off of one Looney Tunes character sounds weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I think they were even planning to make a Pepe Le Pew movie at one point which is stupid considering how one-note of a character he is and pretty much ever Looney Tunes short based on him tend to be the same.
    I agree with this. As much as I love the Looney Tunes shorts, I won't deny that a lot of them were formulaic and can even get repetitive when watching them back-to-back (They're still great as individual shorts). Though to be fair, they were originally intended to be shown, back then they would have only made about 1 Pepe cartoon a year and the shorts weren't being run on TV then, so it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

Judging by the two previous LT movies, this could turn out out to be terrible as well. Though I would rather watch Space Jam/Back in Action than any the Depatie-Freleng/Seven-Arts shorts from the 1960s.

Blog Entries

Oh and for the record my favourite Speedy cartoons are:

Tabasco Road
    Mexicali Shmoes
    The Pied Piper of Guadalupe

Thread Information