Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Seth Rogen's R rated CGI film "Sausage Party"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

saw this tonight, thought it was actually pretty good. it goes for some rather obvious humor, but i thought it worked out well. the movie got quite a few really good laughs from the theater, and i really enjoyed the running joke involving nick kroll's character. also the meatloaf scene was tops. only part of the film i was dreading was the infamous orgy scene, and it was as dumb as i figured it would be. luckily it was at the very end of the movie, after the really twisted climax(seriously i'm not sure people going into this are ready for it), and really the only problem i had with the movie. it's not the best comedy, it sure ain't no south park: bigger, longer, and uncut, but i think it's worth a watch, especially for certain members here i figure it's right up their alleys.
    Last edited by hanna hilton; 08-13-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Movie's not out internationally until September 2nd but I'm still intending to see it when the time comes.

Also, I dug this piece of marketing they did.
    How to remaster

Just saw this opening night and had a good time. I hope this is the beginning of something new.. More R-rated CGI cartoons!
    Most adults dont feel comfortable watching hand illustrated cartoon movies "In Theaters".. where others can spot them!!,
    The VR life-likeness of CGI cartoons doesnt frighten away older movie goers, meaning a much larger box office return

The 90's did the most to challenge the American public's long standing stereotype that cartoons were Just for kids.. The Simpsons and a few others started to soften them up on the Home front.. but getting them to do this out in the open, in a public place, was another matter? Thankfully CGI helped win new ground in cartoon viewership over all..

So now I think we've been primed long enough to make this finally happen! fun CGI cartoons with adult humor turned to 11! (I've always been ready).. And I sincerly hope the box office success Sausage Party shows Hollywood and its investors that this is a new trend they would well like to get behind.. keeping my fingers crossed

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pleasantly surprised by the reception so far, maybe I'll see it sooner than I had originally planned even though I still think it looks awful from all the clips I've seen

Either way I'm hoping it will open the doors for more R-rated theatrical animation, though I'd really rather at least some of it not be CG, which I know there's probably no chance of. And if we do get one it'll probably be something the world doesn't even need like that second South Park movie that's been in talks for the past few years since the movie rights switched ownership. So goddamn sick of CG animated films being the only kind out there anymore.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky, Torrens

Blog Entries

I can't help but think that this initial positive reception is because the film is something different in the stale swarm of non-Pixar/Dreamworks/Fox CGI films that have plagued the Animation industry for the past 15 or so years.

It's a smack in the face to those who think Animated films are just for kids, sure. But at the same time, though it identifies itself as 'adult' comedy, it appears to come across as nothing more that profanity and stupid sex jokes. The idea is a clever one, I'll give Rogen that, but the childish execution so far is something I feel I've outgrown now.

But, I'll see it anyway, just to be sure that it's not just the marketing.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Its very immature R rated cartoony humor, but so was "Blazing Saddles".. and everybody liked that.

Blog Entries

The thing with that thought is that Blazing Saddles didn't reinforce a stereotype that all R-rated comedy films ever made have to be exactly like that, whereas that's still the perception most of the world seems to have had about 'adult' animation for a long time, and I'm concerned this won't help at all

Not so much attacking the movie or anything but I wish for once somebody would do something different and surprising. But I guess it's like Trey Parker said a long time ago, that when you're making a cartoon, "being vulgar is the only way to get adults to pay attention to your shit". Which is a very depressing thought.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky, Torrens

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The clips so far have actually been what made me more interested in the movie, they look good. But the more info I see now like the drugs, sex and all that just makes it seem cringy. They sure needed to do every single thing considered "adult". Gonna see it friday, I'm not looking forward to  the orgy scene,  it just sounds like it'll be awkward to watch and not even funny. Maybe I should go see this alone...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LosTickaToeRest View Post
    Either way I'm hoping it will open the doors for more R-rated theatrical animation, though I'd really rather at least some of it not be CG, which I know there's probably no chance of.
    Funny you mention that, because there's actually  a 2D sequence  in Sausage Party.

Blog Entries

there is yeah

Blog Entries

Oh cool, I can get behind that. Looking forward to that when I see this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LosTickaToeRest View Post
    The thing with that thought is that Blazing Saddles didn't reinforce a stereotype that all R-rated comedy films ever made have to be exactly like that, whereas that's still the perception most of the world seems to have had about 'adult' animation for a long time, and I'm concerned this won't help at all

Not so much attacking the movie or anything but I wish for once somebody would do something different and surprising. But I guess it's like Trey Parker said a long time ago, that when you're making a cartoon, "being vulgar is the only way to get adults to pay attention to your shit". Which is a very depressing thought.
    Charlie Kaufmann's Anomalisa was pretty well-received last year. Stop motion, not 2D, but it makes up for that by not being a barrage of dick jokes. I'd like to see more adult animation that isn't just an hour and a half of lowbrow dudebro bs.

Edit: I adore stopmotion, I didn't mean for it to sound like a drawback.
    Last edited by ThatsAPaddlin; 08-14-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

Blog Entries

there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

Yeah, heard the horror stories about the way the animators were treated during production but at the time they were just rumours and nothing had been reported officially. It's fucking disgusting.

Blog Entries

In the movie theatre right now.

Blog Entries

ur not old enough for this film

Blog Entries

Also put your fuckin' phone away!

Blog Entries

had some guy in a row in front of me playing pokemon go until literally the first lines of the movie when i went to see it last week, just sitting there catching pidgeys and shit. can't you put that shit away for a couple of hours?

Blog Entries

Well, considering all those early reports about people getting themselves hurt while playing that game it's not a shock but putting your phone away is like, movie theatre etiquette 101. Regardless of what you're doing as soon as the lights get dimmed that shit should be in your pocket.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These news are so saddening to hear. I didn't think there was mental abuse during the production of a silly comedy like Sausage Party (it's not like we are talking about a movie with a Lord Of The Rings scope), but it seems like I was mistaken. I still really want to see this movie of course, but I feel so sorry for those animators who put time and effort into the movie but just got crap for it. I hadn't heard about Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan before this movie, but fuck them. Fuck the both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I didn't think there was mental abuse during the production of a silly comedy like Sausage Party (it's not like we are talking about a movie with a Lord Of The Rings scope), but it seems like I was mistaken.
    Why would the genre of the movie have any bearing on how the staff are treated?

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it doesn't really, there are lots of family friendly shows as well which have some truly horrible behind-the-scenes stories (Dana Plato's suicide and Gary Coleman's depression and death with Diff'rent Strokes, Susan Richardson's drug abuse after Eight Is Enough, etcetera), it's just that this movie is a really surprising inclusion. I honestly suspected nothing less than the cast and crew just having a good time, considering that the screenwriters after all came up with this idea while high (which isn't something I endorse, but that's beside the point). I'm pretty shocked.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 08-19-2016 at 11:09 AM.

That's such a shame to read but I guess not surprising in some ways. Animators have it rough a lot of times. I wonder what Seth Rogen thinks. He was on Howard Stern the other day hyping up this movie.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

adorse

Blog Entries

@kupomog, the stories I had read about the animator abuse prior to it being confirmed had mentioned stuff like "I doubt Seth Rogen is even aware of what's going on". It's probably not something we're gonna get any official comment on from him unless someone directly asks him about it during an interview (It wouldn't shock me if he's been advised to just avoid it for the time being for fear of him acknowledging it making it more known to the public and potentially hurting the international release in September).

It's really interesting to me since he spent that interview discussing the whole "drama" with Katherine Heigl and Knocked Up and what stuck out to me was Rogen insisting he and his crew were incredibly easy to work with and would always be highly open to any suggestions or willing to resolve any issues going on. I can't imagine he'd be very happy knowing this was going on.

Blog Entries

The review is gonna be pretty spoiler heavy just so you know. I don't feel like hiding every one of them.

It was more different than I thought. I mean, I wasn't sure what exactly the plot could be, but I was expecting Frank and Barry to be together for most of the film, but they were separated basically the whole time. And Frank never even left the store. I was expecting him to actually see the cooking first-hand. And about the cooking, the torture clips from the kitchen they showed in the trailer... Was pretty much all of them. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was. Don't think I saw anything new there. And all they scenes ended so damn abruptly, just like in the trailer. It was just a quick glance at the bacon, the tomato being cut up and the baby carrots. Call me a sicko, but I was hoping for a lot more, and longer, more detailed, and many different kinds of food being killed in the different ways we cook them. Everyone elses reviews I've seen are just them talking about how edgy it was or the whole religion thing. Like, yeah, there was satire about religion in it, but it's not what I care about. I cared about the characters and the story. The song was pretty good, but the second half of it could have been better. I did like the Hitler joke though.

There was a lot of swearing, but nothing that really brings your attention. People swear regularly too so it wasn't omg so shocking!! The actual plot though, it was pretty good. Different from what I was expecting, but still pretty damn good. It felt really slow, since I assumed Frank would be in the kitchen with them and they would get there within the first like, 20 minutes at LEAST. But instead we get Frank and Brenda lost in the store trying to get back to their aisle. And along them are the Jewish bagel and the Muslim whatever the hell he is. A rolled up taco bread? Their jokes were pretty funny actually. And on their way back there, Frank discovers the truth, basically becoming an atheist and Brenda still believes and their relationship is in trouble. It was alright. And Barry gets out the window, finds his way to the druggies home and back to the store. Frankly while Barry's story sound more interesting, Frank's was actually very good. Douche starts sucking things out of liquid items and wants revenge on Frank. Overall, it was really good honestly. But the fact that they literally killed the druggie, and the way they did it was frankly pretty gross and just disturbing. Could have done without that.

Then we have the orgy scene in the end. Jesus Christ. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty cringy and I could have done without it. It wasn't disgusting or anything, it's just not funny. But it got the most and loudest laughs in the theatre so maybe I'm just wrong. Also the breaking the fourth wall ending annoyed me. I mean I'm not sure how you'd end a movie like this, but did they have to do that? I don't like that at all. It ruins the mood. I'm supposed to believe these characters are real. Which brings me to the next part of my review. My questions. So here we go: Why are bags of chips, cereal boxes, Mentos packages and other types of packages alive, but the inside parts of them too? Chips were alive, we saw the Mentos open himself up and reveal live Mentos pieces. And how do they live inside of there? Do they believe they're supposed to live in darkness until they're chosen too? How do cereal boxes, the loaf of bread, or other types of boxed food able to move? The bread loaf could only move if he walked on all fours.

Why is pizza and sandwich alive? A loaf of bread was alive so why are individual bread pieces too? Seth did say in an interview, use your imagination, maybe they become alive when they're put on an aisle. Some bread comes whole, some comes already sliced. So I guess. But the sandwhich is made of lettuce, cut up tomatoes and another slice of bread for his back. Pizza is made of melted cheese, dead tomatoes and other toppings. Weird. Why is a douche, lamp, toilet paper and a condom alive? What are the rules for what can be alive? Just looking around me now, would my computer mouse be alive? My phone, the flower pot? What do they think will happen, humans will just leave the store alone? No one would ever go near it? It'll be rebuilt and fixed obviously. What about other stores? Millions, trillions, fucking Gazziggalagasomethingillions of stores are still standing and food get tortured every day. What a happy ending. How exactly does food get pleasure from sex? Frank shoved himself in and out of the bagels mouth and it feels good? How did they jerk off in that one scene? They don't have dicks. And last, the animation. It was pretty good honestly. They went for a more cartoonish look and movements, but I really think it worked and it looked great.

So um yeah that's about all I have to say. But all in all, it was a pretty solid film. I'd only get rid of the druggie being killed, the orgy scene and the fourth wall ending. Definitely seeing this again when it's out DVD. Can't wait for someone to come and make fun of me now.

Blog Entries

it is just a dumb cartoon, don't see the need to question the laws and physics of it. i mean why is a hot dog and other ultra processed food even alive to begin with. suspend your belief, just roll with it and laugh

Blog Entries

What? I didn't do it throughout the whole movie. Maybe once when the lighbulb spoke and the toilet paper talked but that's about it. It's only now afterwards I think it's fun to question.

Blog Entries

I'll say to you now what I said to you a page ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I'm sure if you were to take these concerns up with Mr. Rogen he would tell you to just take a few bong rips and not think about it.

Thread Information