Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ducktales 2017 revival

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suomynona View Post
    I had to pause the finale towards the end, because I couldn't stop giggling like a giddy idiot after hearing the "Moon Theme" from the NES game. I'm seriously itching to hear the show's full version of it during the inevitable Season 2 Moon episode.

Also, I'm guess this is the first time in Disney animated history that we've ever heard Della Duck speak, huh? That's quite something.
    On the off chance, you haven't watched this morning's new episode of DuckTales yet, I'll just leave this here as an appetizer/incentive...

Did that whet your appetite? Because this episode was the bomb! Drop everythng and go seek it out, ASAP.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - ?/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - ?/5
    Screenless - ?/5 / Highway to Well - ?/5 / Better Off Ned - ?/5

Blog Entries

Just watched the season 2 finale... man this show is great

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

This finale was absolutely awesome, yes. I really love the hell out of this show and this finale, as well as season 2 as a whole, did justice to it.

How about that cliffhanger/tease for next season though?  Scrooge's board of directors are the leaders of F.O.W.L. and Gandra Dee is among one of their members! 

Watching the finale made me take note of the fact that despite really liking the show, I've actually yet to rewatch any episode after my initial viewing so as a result many things that I felt were new turned out to be from episodes as far back as two years ago that I'd completely forgotten! Definitely gonna make sure that changes whenever the show returns (which I'm predicting will probably be around the same time that it came back this year).

Speaking of Season 3, I'm looking forward to what it'll bring to the table based on what was shown at Comic-Con, especially the addition of Daisy.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: TBD Rich Old Stewie: TBD The Movement: TBD Baby Stewie: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

I still have some issues with the show that keeps it from being great in my opinion, but it certainly has it's moments, aspects and episodes I quite like so it's not bad but rather quite good and I've kept watching. It has improved throughout the second season, even if I consider it to be sort of an uneven show at times (I'm not quite done with the season yet as I'm some episodes late but I'm looking forward to that double-feature finale which has been built up throughout the season with the moon plotline; will post again once I've seen it).

One of my favorite aspects of the show is definitely the shared Disney universe they have going on with bringing all these former Disney Afternoon shows together in one big revival and that poster for season 3 certainly has my interest peaking a little bit more.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-13-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    How about that cliffhanger/tease for next season though?  Scrooge's board of directors are the leaders of F.O.W.L. and Gandra Dee is among one of their members! 
    It's very promising as well. But I'm mostly excited for that because of  the Phantom Blot, the idea of seeing him again is awfully exciting. 

The staff sure know how to keep the hype around this show and the news we got at Comic-Con about season 3 were the cherry on top. I love the idea of a shared universe and since the beginning, they knew how to make it work.

@CousinMerl, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about what are the issues you have with this reboot, though I may see one or two of them unless I'm wrong (like the modern aspect).

@Wile E. the Brain, as I've said before the main problem I have with the show (or really the only big issue) boils down the fact how it's being modern, not that it's being modern (which is a fine thing), though it's more of nitpicks now that I think of it.

It feels like it tries hard to be super modern, hip and cool with the attitudes, the references and all that it sort of becomes kind of an detractor at times, the triplets come off as extremely millenial to the point of being a little annoying at times IMO, it dabbles in that "shouting and yelling equals comedy" trope that I'm not fond of, it's a little too subversive, snarky and sarcastically self-depreciating at times, the adventure often being met with "Meh, lame" attitudes or getting joked away as nothing important or dangerous, sometimes even being relegated to footnotes we only see the aftermath of, a lack of stakes from time to time, & the scripts sometimes not working out too well. I usually don't have issues with shows being modern but I just feel this show overdoes it (and might not age well in the future because of it)

Even so, it's not enough to break it for me as, like I said, it has a lot to like and has improved and those problem I have I feel are now less in in your face and have been toned down. I like the comic-like artwork(though still a little torn about the squared, pointy designs), the shared universe stuff, most of the characters like Scrooge, Webby, Launchpad & Donald being quite good (I like this Scrooge better than the 1987 one; he's more like the comics by being more cynical, shrewd and miserly yet not without heart), them bringing in many minor and obscure Disney characters (many of which haven't been seen in animated form; interesting how they actually implemented Neighbor Jones), many of the episodes being pretty good & as well as several nice storylines (such as the one with Lena, the moon plot & the various episodes that tie into other Disney Afternoon properties ranging from Adventures Of The Gummi Bears to Darkwing Duck; speaking of whom, the episode about the Darkwing reboot is probably my favorite so far).

In short, it's a good show which have some roadbumps here and there and things that could have been handled better but it has improved to the point of those flaws being much more subdued and minor now than when it started and the addition of darker themes and stakes in many of the stories have improved it even more. Season 3 can only be better.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.

The shared universe and the references to past things is one of favorites aspects as well, even though most of them are from long before my time and thus go completely over my head. Like I had no idea who the  Phantom Blot  was until looking him up or how one of the other people shown at  F.O.W.L. is Steelbeak  from Darkwing Duck (I've only seen like two or three episodes, none of which featuring him).

Though I guess that's another positive to them using things from so long ago in that it makes me curious to look the up.

Of all the new character in store for the next season, the ones I'm strangely looking forward to the most is the Rescue Rangers with Chip n' Dale & company (gotta say those are maybe the characters I did not expect to see). It will be interesting to see how they will work them into the show (and whether they'll bring in more from their world or not).

Oh, and @John95, even though I know of these "legacy" characters from comics and older shows (even if I'm not very familiar with them) I understand what you mean and from the perspective of a newcomer it must be fun discovering these characters for the first time so in a way I envy you.

Hey, @Wile E. the Brain, speaking of the shared universe they have created, how familiar are you with all the legacy characters from the classic Disney Afternoon shows and the comics they are bringing onto the show? (Oh, and you have my answer to your question why I don't feel the show comes together perfectly in my last post, btw. Thought I'd remind you).

I'm getting closer to the finale (only a bunch of episodes left) and by now I can safely say that it has gotten pretty overall good and is an clear improvement over where it started with the first season and were for about first half of of it until it started picking up in the latter half.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    (Oh, and you have my answer to your question why I don't feel the show comes together perfectly in my last post, btw. Thought I'd remind you).
    I saw it, don't worry. But thanks anyway for the thought of reminding me just in case. And I somehow agree with some of your thoughts. I'm not a lot into the hyper modern stuff either. I mean, I have no problem with the nephews being more millennials, it's coherent and it doesn't interfere with what makes their charm and their new personalities (I appreciate a lot how this show gave substance to each of them, so that they don't feel like soulless clones anymore), but sometimes I have the feeling they did modern allusions for the sake of it. Through Mark Beaks mostly (even though it's part of his personality so at least that justifies a bit), but also, in its first episode, when Scrooge and Glomgold stare at each other while there is your typicals "YTP horns" (or whatever it is) in the background, among other things. Stuff like that can easily distract from what truly makes the heart of the show.

You also got a point about the humor. In general I have no problem with the humor of the show which I think is often hilarious, but sometimes they feel a bit repetitive when they follow the same "there's something wrong but I say something / act like nothing happens" or "yeah I definitely didn't do what you said" routine, which can be a bit annoying at times. But other than that, I think this show remains quite amazing.

Well I won't say I'm 100% familiar with this legacy since I never saw shows like Talespin (though I know the characters) and The Adventures of the Gummi Bears but I have a certain amount of knowledge about it. When I was a kid, I was a fan of Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, and today I love Darkwing Duck. I've read almost every comics from Don Rosa (which are a lot referenced in this reboot, and I love that) and a lot of Carl Barks' as well, and I have some memories of the original series which is also referenced quite a few times (and the return of some other characters that were part of my childhood in comics or animation, like Ludwig Von Drake or, from the cliffhanger of the season 2 finale,  the Phantom Blot ).
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 09-14-2019 at 04:39 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain, you do make some good points. The modernisms go too far at times such as with that internet meme stuff and sometimes Mark Beaks, while good in concept, is maybe overdone hip super energetic celebrity personality (I honestly prefer the more they take him seriously and as a threat). Some of the character changes are sometimes a little questionable (like Doofus being a deranged psychopath heir & Gyro Gearloose being a jerkass hipster) but for the most part they do work.

And yes, now that you mention it more in depth, some of the humor routines they do a lot like that sarcastic and sardonic snappy stuff get old and usually aren't funny so the more they dial that stuff down the better. There is being modern in a good way and being modern in an obnoxious way and they have a way of tapping into that latter one at times, unfortunately. The show has heart like you say and the creators and showrunners obviously cares a lot about the source material and them going too far with the modernisms can easily be a detriment, don't you agree?

On the topic of the connection with the comics and old shows with the characters and all that I think that what makes the show good is that you can easily be unfamiliar with all of that and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it (and if you are familiar with some stuff, you get extra enjoyment out of that). I've read a lot of duck comics in my day so many things and characters that show up I'm familiar with to some degree; speaking of Don Rosa I hope they'll bring in more from what he brought to the table.

Speaking of those Disney Afternoon shows, with the Disney+ streaming service that's coming soon I've heard those shows will be up there so if you ever get it you can easily check those unseen ones out if you want to.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-18-2019 at 12:11 AM.

I have only the season finale left but popping back in to mention something: I find it really odd that Donald has been gone for a long time and no one of the other main hero characters have started to wonder where he is and why he's not back (especially as he suddenly disappeared almost half a season ago) and none of them have tried to go look for him. While I like the general consistency in the writing I think they flubbed this.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-19-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Well, in Whatever Happened to Donald Duck ?!, Scrooge got Donald's call about the coming of the Moonlanders but misinterpreted it and thinked Donald would come back from his cruise in a month.

I still think it was kind of a cheap way to handwave him and his involvement in the series up to the season finale.

Anyway, speaking of the finale I saw it yesterday and it was really solid. Had some good stuff going on like well animated action (really enjoyed the "Duckvengers" as I'd like to call them against the aliens for one thing) and nice humor here and there. It kept a good pace for the most of the time but it started plodding around the part with the desert island where it just kind of stops cold for a little while before moving again once they get out of there (with some good old Deus Ex Machina of sorts); I think that part could have been pulled off smoother.

It felt a little rushed toward the very end (maybe it should've been a little longer than 43 minutes) but as a whole the episode worked well overall and had a really interesting capper with the setting up of the threat for the next season which will be interesting (I like how each season has it's own overaching villain; the first season it was Magica, the second it was the moon aliens & the next it's  FOWL and it's agents (so it's top command are the three vultures who are Scrooge's board of directors? That's interesting) . The producers keep amping up the show, not only with that but with all the characters coming the next season
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-18-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Thread Information