Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ducktales 2017 revival

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Man, Launchpad looks a little odd. Let's just hope he has a new voice.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have seen about a handful of episodes from the original show, obviously only when they aired on Toon Disney or whatever channel it was, but I remember liking it. And all the promo clips for the revival are kinda making me want to go back and check it out. I know most of the lyrics despite hardly having seen the show, but how can you help it, it's a fucking catchy intro. I find it kinda odd how square Huey, Dewey, and Louie's heads are in the revival tho.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I watched the new intro some days ago and I quite liked it. Both the modernized theme tune and the comic book-style visuals are nice & the small character shorts they have been posting are also pretty neat. I'll check out the series premiere and see how it's like.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-20-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

I never watched the original show but these clips are piquing my interest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    I never watched the original show but these clips are piquing my interest
    I think I remember seeing DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp when I was little.

Junior Camper

I saw the movie in theaters when i was 8, quite underrated movie.

That movie was great. I really loved it. It made me wish for a Genie to make it rain ice cream. The last act got pretty tense with everything turning nightmarish and falling apart.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

It's strange that the film did so poorly considering it's Disney and how many fans the show had (and still has); it's like barely anyone went to see it.

Blog Entries

darkwing duck gonna appear in this series
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/21/darkwing...alflow_twitter
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

where the mighty ducks at

Blog Entries

in anaheim?

Blog Entries

Holy shit Darkwing Duck is finally coming back. Even if it's not in his own show, this is amazing news.

Kind of ironic though because I think it was officially stated some time ago that the original Ducktales and Darkwing Duck shows did not take place in the same continuity.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Holy shit Darkwing Duck is finally coming back. Even if it's not in his own show, this is amazing news.

Kind of ironic though because I think it was officially stated some time ago that the original Ducktales and Darkwing Duck shows did not take place in the same continuity.
    Eh, they kind of contradicted that in the comics after the shows ended. There was a whole crossover featuring characters from both Ducktales and Darkwing Duck.

Cool that Darkwing will show up (and will seemingly bring a few of the bad guys along with him); I don't mind him existing in the Ducktales world since I think it makes sense and it opens up some nice possibilities. I bet a lot of folks are going crazy over this right now.

I loved Darkwing Duck! His theme song was so cool. Even if his appearance is brief, it's still great to see him back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suomynona View Post
    Eh, they kind of contradicted that in the comics after the shows ended. There was a whole crossover featuring characters from both Ducktales and Darkwing Duck.
    I've heard about that, but I've also heard that apparently they did the crossover without Disney's approval and they weren't happy when they found out about it, so they made it explicitly non-canon.

In fact, I think they re-released the original Darkwing Duck comics in a new compilation, but left the Ducktales crossover (which the last few issues of the book help consist of) out and wrote in a new epilogue issue instead.

The 44 minute premiere episode just came out. Shame that I have to wait till September for the next one; I think I found the perfect show to replace the Gravity Falls-shaped void in my heart.

Blog Entries

I don't have cable, but was able to catch the premiere on the last night on vacation. Weird lucky coincidence. I think they put it online, though, so whatever.

Thought it was really good. Feels very true to the original series with its sense of adventure and stuff, but also very modern with its jokes, universe building, and character writing. It's cool how they would throw in little side references and namedrops and stuff but not really call them out or celebrate their own cleverness (unlike modern Simpsons). Just a wink and then move on. I really appreciated how they changed up the three nephews and especially Webby in this. Webby was sooooooooooooo bad and sooooooooooooo annoying in the original, I like that they're just making her a big adventure dork. It's cool that the three nephews all have more distinct personalities and voices as well. Although, Louie > Huey > Dewey, at least for the first episode. Huey was my favorite when I was younger but Louie got all the best lines in the premiere.

Donald being more involved is awesome, loved seeing him get to go on the adventure and do all the slapstick stuff he excels at. Found him hard to understand sometimes, though, even by Donald's standards. Seems like the show is really interested in getting into his and Scrooge's backstory.

Won't be following the series but walked away really impressed by what the writers put together. I am sure I will be getting regular updates about this show from my sister, as she watches every episode with my nephew. I think kids are really going to like the new series, though, could see it being a decent hit for their network.

The pilot was pretty good. I like the comic book aestethic, the voice acting was also quite good, the overall story were nice and I like the changes they've made from the old show (and it's neat that they namedropped the cities of TaleSpin and Goof Troop, Cape Suzette and Spoonerville, on top of St. Canard from Darkwing Duck, meaning that it's a bigger shared universe).

Junior Camper

Very nice version of a classic show i grew up with and well done.

Three episodes since the pilot so far. My random thoughts:

Day Trip of Doom - Good episode, though for a second episode to Ducktales we strangely don't see Scrooge a whole lot. I'm glad we get a bit more of a look at Webby this episode, though I hope she doesn't run dry of possible character development before the season even ends (if the recent episode's anything to go by). I'm also glad that Donald's Triplets actually treat her as an equal and don't care too much about her being a girl.  Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys  are introduced here, and though the battle involving them is slightly underwhelming, it's decent enough.
    Donald Duck being Donald Duck is hilarious, and I always figured that  Beakley was a secret agent of some kind. My money's on her being a former S.H.U.S.H. agent from Darkwing Duck .

The Great Dime Chase - The best one so far. We get lore about the Triplets' mother, Louie suffers a bunch while learning a lesson, and we finally get to see Scrooge's Dime in the show. Huey's missing for some reason, but I'm guessing Donald took him to see a dentist or something.
    I heard complaints about Gyro Gearloose being more cynical than in the original Ducktales, but apparently this Gyro's mad scientist vibe is actually more faithful to the comics. I actually didn't know the lightbulb robot in the episode came from one of the comics, and it seems he's going to be a regular character too.
    Also, I love the Carl Barks-ish flashback that Scrooge had about his lucky dime. I'm crossing my fingers for a two-parter adaptation of "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" in the future; apparently that comic was required reading for everyone working in this reboot.

The Beagle Birthday Massacre - Now this is the first fluke for me. Not a completely horrid episode, but the story seems so half-assed compared to everything else so far. It's also the first that made Webby a bit too annoying, except unlike her useless extreme girlishness of the first Ducktales, this episode had her as a shouting textbook Mary Sue with only the barest of character development. I'd argue the other kid character introduced this episode had even more development than Webby, and even then it's a bit confusing.
    Biggest strike against this episode: how the hell can you set up the episode to be a Warriors reference, but don't even riff that bottle clacking scene even once? (For god sake, they had a scene with a Beagle Boy with three fingers stuck to his fingers, AND HE DOESN'T EVEN DO IT.)
    And no Scrooge again, what the hell? I'm guessing David Tennant's got a busy schedule.

Also,  Magicka 's gonna come up later this season, yay.

Overall, not exactly a Gravity Falls replacement, but I'm still eager for the next episode.

I've watched the episodes out so far and I have to say I don't think the show works too well for me. It tries really hard to be modern, cool & hip and it has some of the modern kids show tropes that I don't like such as the ADD pacing (it's a bit too fast and does feel rushed), a lot of yelling and shouting and the triplets (Huey, Dewey and Louie) sometimes come across as a little annoying and smug (especially Louie who gets a bit douchey and unlikeable at times) and the animation, which isn't bad, is maybe a bit too flat and the squared and pointy designs make several of the character look unintentionally mean (I can definitely see some be put off by it). I also think that the scripts aren't all that strong (strongest one was 'House Of The Lucky Gander' which also is the best episode thus far but I also liked mummy episode).

I'm not trying to comparing the old show to the new one and but judging the new on it's own I think the execution leaves some to be desired despite the fact that it does many things well, such as the portrayal of Scrooge and the lore; it's obvious it's tailored for today's kids who want stuff to be fast and in your face and it sort of feels like a reboot of Quack Pack combined with Ducktales and I don't like that. I honestly don't think I will watch it regularily but I don't think I will drop it yet; I will wait and see how it evolves.

Gravity Falls still a better example of a modern Disney cartoon, though.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-12-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries

The animation is the strongest part for me, actually. I'm surprised that this show is way more concerned with being a laughfest and the Quack Pack similarities are indeed getting troublesome. Overall so far the problem with the show is that it's too subversive and is shy to fully embrace adventure tropes despite the fact that it is what Ducktales is. The lore of the triplets' mom is good and I enjoyed the Egypt and Macaw episodes but so far I find it a bit lacking. Like, one of the eps had a subplot where Scrooge McDuck sits in on a revenge proposal from Glamgold... and that's all he does. And it's played off like a joke. That's not Ducktales, that's riffing on Ducktales.

Right now it's in Disney XD's favorite scheduling tactic: hiatus mode (with an extra ep airing in December) while gleefully playing the nine exisiting episodes on infinite repeat thru the holidays. Apparently Disney is also releasing the first few eps on DVD for the Christmas season as well. Hopefully when it returns fully the episodes will start becoming more consistent.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I too have the same problem with it not fully embracing the Ducktales style and feel with all the adventures and I really hope it fixes the pacing & the gagfest issues (and I do hope it moves past feeling like the Triplets & Webby Show all the time; there should be much more of Scrooge, Launchpad and the others who should be just as important).

I don't think the show has found itself and it's footing yet and I hope it will soon.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

So, am I the only one who watch (and love) this show ?

It's far from the next Gravity Falls, but it's alright.

Oh yes, it's not Gravity Falls. But I really enjoy this show and it's IMO one of the best Disney Television Animation productions so far.

So I found time to finish up the entirety of Season 1. I gotta say, despite the imperfections I can't wait for the next season.

The original Ducktales was great, but it really shows how much more emotional depth there is in this new reboot, especially in these last two episodes. They really nailed everything here, especially the story and all the callbacks to previous episodes. I'm looking forward to see Catherine Tate return as Magicka in the future, she was fantastic.

I had to pause the finale towards the end, because I couldn't stop giggling like a giddy idiot after hearing the "Moon Theme" from the NES game. I'm seriously itching to hear the show's full version of it during the inevitable Season 2 Moon episode.

Also, I'm guess this is the first time in Disney animated history that we've ever heard Della Duck speak, huh? That's quite something.  

The finale was pretty awesome yeah. I'm glad they showed all those characters in action, and De Spell is a great villain. Well, she always was a great villain, but I gotta say, that version of the character is amazing. It remind me a bit Bill Cipher, by the way.

Can't wait for the next season 2, even if, in some way, I'm a bit disappointed by that cliffhanger.  I would have preferred the fate of Della remains unknown until the end. 
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

I must admit that quite liked the finale (although the Magica subplot never really went anywhere until this one) as well as several of the later episodes. While I admittedly wasn't wowed at all by the first half of the season it picked up a little bit more in the second half where some nice episodes like the Gizmoduck, Black Heron & sky pirate ones, much as there was a better balance with the humor, the serious elements and the action in the stories; it's a bit hit & miss and several of the eps are still pretty meh but less so than when it started. I hope the quality will improve in the second season.

Thread Information