View Poll Results: What did you think of "Sacred Couch"?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

1 8.33%
  • 4/5

3 25.00%
  • 3/5

6 50.00%
  • 2/5

2 16.67%
  • 1/5

0 0%

Thread: R&R Bob's Burgers "Sacred Couch"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R Bob's Burgers "Sacred Couch"

"When the Belchers make a vote on whether or not to replace their old couch with a new one, Louise decides to take matters into her own hands."

Ironically this would seemingly contradict what I just said in the other thread about needing more family episodes, but as funny and silly as this episode was, man was it disjointed as hell. It wasn't until the final scene that I caught on that this was supposed to be both a "Louise learns humility" and a "Bob gets screwed" episode because they kept swerving at every moment in multiple attempts to pad the episode. It felt like a dare in the writers room: "The Simpsons thinks they're so great by making five-minute long couch gags, we'll show them! Who thinks they could write an entire 21-minute episode all about the Belchers' couch?"

Again, it's the characters and guest stars that make me vote 3/5, because Bob's is really just that consistent at its joke writing. That's what separates it from Family Guy and Simpsons: it's legitimately clever and funny (and has naturally likable characters), so it can get away with a weak plot.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

i accidentally tuned it at the last act, thinking it was the beginning due to borderland being pre-empted.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

yeah, there's an entire mini-episode in the middle act that takes place in a couch store complete with its own tina/gene subplot

edit: also apparently I completely agree with the av club on this one. I swear I'm just now reading this review. eerie

i like the title on that one. kinda wish bob's burgers would do a bob's burger-ish pun on it.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

This episode was one of the most boring Bob's Burgers episodes Ive watched. Not that this was awful, as it was fine. But it didnt feel like it was going anywhere and nothing interesting happened.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

I want to give it a 2/5 solely for them actually wanting to take that old stupid couch back. Sykes, Key, and Peele were great, though. And Baby Louise
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Oh snap, I realised I didnt watch the whole thing.

HATED the ending. This is the new Family Fracas.

Blog Entries

Despite being a full-family focussed episode with just one plot, it had a weak plot where not even the characters or humor could make up for it. It didn't feel like there was much going for it, with the ending being my last favorite part (just throwing a brand new couch away to get burned?), and the family clinging onto keeping a broken old couch. IMO a better ending to me would be if the family just bought a new couch that looked exactly the same (to keep the couches continuity as decoration in the living room) while settling in with the new one. For the rest, I couldn't get into the new couch salesmen with his only joke pretending to be one his his sales persona. And I found Linda pretty annoying most of the time, to me it would've made more sense for Tina to be the one overexaggerating with Linda supporting her choice to keep the couch. Only a 2/5 from me.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I liked what this episode was attempting--a low-key situation with some emotional stakes that just focused on the show's best characters (the family), but the execution wasn't as good as it usually is in this show. As mentioned, the plot was a little jumpy and made it tough to stay invested, and the return to the old, grody couch was strangely unsatisfying (and yeah, reminded me a bit of the ending to Family Fracas). Even so, enough charm and fun character moments like the high-chair hopping give it a pass in my book. The biggest laugh was probably Gene's "checkmate" letter, and the later callback. Voted 3/5.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I liked what this episode was attempting--a low-key situation with some emotional stakes that just focused on the show's best characters (the family), but the execution wasn't as good as it usually is in this show. As mentioned, the plot was a little jumpy and made it tough to stay invested, and the return to the old, grody couch was strangely unsatisfying (and yeah, reminded me a bit of the ending to Family Fracas). Even so, enough charm and fun character moments like the high-chair hopping give it a pass in my book. The biggest laugh was probably Gene's "checkmate" letter, and the later callback. Voted 3/5.
    Despite how much I HATED the end, it still had some decent jokes, like the high chair and the callback.

Still, it's pretty much Bob's Burgers at it's worst. Reveling too much in the "loser family" stick the show has. Worse than Family Fracas, because that was hilarious but with that terrible ending, while this was boring with the terrible ending.

It's still admirable that BB at it's worst is still entertaining, at least generally.

Blog Entries

^ that post is really unnecessary

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

I'm dreading this episode (only one away now), but I really can't imagine it being worse than Family Fracas. Fucking awful episode and the ending with the family mocking Bob in front of Jimmy Pesto was probably the low point of the series for me (that or some of Linda's antics in Bed and Breakfast). And I actually didn't find the episode that funny either. Too much orange foam consumption. "Your ass is grass and I'm gonna mow it," is of course a classic.

I'll be sure to come back and edit this post to include my thoughts tonight or the day after. I'm trying to space out these last three episodes because it's my last new BB for a week.

EDIT: IDK, I think a lot of people are overreacting. The problem with the episode is twofold: 1) no emotional connection had been built with the couch in previous seasons to establish this episode as necessary and 2) Louise's change of heart is too abrupt (this is the sole flaw in Nice-capades as well, an instant classic otherwise). I didn't quite buy the "we're Belchers, so we keep scruffy things" excuse, nor that they could afford to literally burn $500, but eh. It's a cartoon. I'm not freaking out about it. Some sloppy writing there though and I expect better from this show.

Honestly though, outside of that, I thought it was a very entertaining episode. Great, witty dialogue brought on by the always-terrific idea to keep the family together in one room for the duration. There are countless great quotes in here, but Tina offering to sacrifice herself to teenage boys was brilliant. None of the humor felt forced, just a product of funny people hanging out. It was one of those great, low-stakes episodes that I enjoy very much but wouldn't claim as being among the show's best. I liked it more overall than Sexy Dance Healing because at least it introduced some great characters in the Sofa Queen and Sofa Jester. They were awesome.

3.5/5, rounded up to even things out in the poll. I agree with the B consensus it has on AV Club.
    Last edited by Traviud; 03-27-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Thread Information