Thread: "Surf's Up 2: WaveMania" is a thing that's happening

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

LOL "Surf's Up 2: WaveMania" is a thing that's happening

I've never seen the first "Surf's Up", but surely all of you who did must have thought it was sorely lacking in professional wrestlers.

Sony Pictures Animation and WWE Studios announced today an animated sequel to Surf’s Up, the 2007 Academy Award nominated action-comedy about surfing penguins. The companies are co-financing and producing the movie, which is expected to release in 2017, in time for the original films’ 10th anniversary. Surf’s Up 2: WaveMania will be distributed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment with WWE Studios providing marketing support by leveraging its extensive multi-platform reach.

Cody Maverick, hungry for a new challenge, convinces an infamous big wave riding crew known as The Hang 5, voiced by WWE Superstars John Cena, The Undertaker, Triple H, WWE Diva Paige and Mr. McMahon, to let him join them on their journey to a mysterious surf spot known as The Trenches, where legend has it, they’ll find the biggest waves in the world. Cody soon discovers that the life he left behind might be more heroic than what any death-defying wave has to offer.
    Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...-triple-h-more

Holy shit, Scooby-Doo and The Flintstones were baffling enough properties for WWE to do crossovers with, but this!? The first Surf's Up was nominated for an Academy Award for Christ's sake. I... I can't.
    How to remaster

Home video.. not Theatrical release, I'm assuming?

Blog Entries

Whatever the case I'm sure many moviegoers will be taking a page from Marge's book for it.

Blog Entries

never had any interest in seeing the first, and this looks really unnecessary

Blog Entries

are those wrestlers CGI or in live-action?
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

i look forward to the inevitable "IT"S JOHN CENA" joke in this movie

you know, if i ever bother to see it, which i probably won't

wrestling/wwe is seriously the dumbest shit ever 

except for ufc, that's truly the dumbest shit ever 

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The voice providers are standing next to their animated characters for promo reasons

Blog Entries

I liked surfs up, it's pretty generic but the mockumentary aspect nudges it up just a little bit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    The voice providers are standing next to their animated characters for promo reasons
    Yeah, they pretty blatantly made some of the designs of the characters resemble the WWE cast in some regards but wanted to makes sure you knew who was who (Those images of the WWE crew themselves are just ripped from the roster section of WWE's website). Hell, the Triple H penguin is just called "Hunter" (Which for those of you who don't know, is what the first "H" in HHH stands for. Hunter Hearst Helmsley).

What makes no sense here is that, with the Scooby-Doo and Flintstones movies, wrestling was a central part of the plot with the wrestlers playing cartoon versions of their personas and taking part in wrestling related antics. "Surf's Up" was a movie about... y'know, surfing. I'm not saying WWE stars can't be in non-wrestling related movies, but what's the point of having these new characters be penguin versions of the WWE personas they play if they're not actually gonna do any wrestling stuff in the movie? The description notes that this "Big 5" rival crew are just that. Surfers. So again, what is the point of this?

Blog Entries

the first wasn't even that good, so why make it even worse? who approves these kind of movies?

Everything about that promo image is just so fucking absurd I can't help laughing
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

oh wow really? i genuinely thought this was something weird twiter cooked up

Blog Entries

You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

don't...d dont

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Everything about that promo image is just so fucking absurd I can't help laughing
    On that note, I'd like to take a moment to really just appreciate how fucking funny The Undertaker's character looks since they released individual promo pics for each character.

Why do they insist on using him? He's not a good fit for this sort of thing. They had him in that Flintstones movie too and the contrast of having a giant, menacing, ghoulish, goth looking dude with supernatural powers who may or may not be undead (WWE has never been very consistent with what Undertaker's exact deal is) in some sort of bright beach setting just doesn't work beyond the initial joke of having him look out of place. Case in point:

At least with the likes of John Cena and Triple H you can have them act like generic buff surfer dudes and it won't seem TOO out there, but Undertaker doesn't have that sort of thing going for him at all and I doubt there's any shortage of guys on the roster who could have better suited this thing.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trailer (DVD release January 17th):

Honestly completely forgot this existed. It...sure is a direct to DVD release, couldn't even afford getting Shia LaBeouf back.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

I could see this being a guilty pleasure for some, perhaps for myself as well.

Blog Entries

What...what is this? I thought WWE meets Flintstones was bizarre enough, but why does this even exist? I mean, Scooby Doo is still going on and is a popular franchise, and Flintstones is still an iconic cartoon, so I can understand those crossovers, but Surf's Up? Who remembered that film even existed? And why would Sony and WWE think this film would be a good idea?

I'll admit though, I did actually crack up when the trailer got to the part showing the WWE wrestlers who would be in this movie, and all the characters literally have the same name as the wrestlers themselves. It's like, holy shit, their not even trying to be subtle or hiding that their playing themselves as cartoon animals.

I actually really liked the first Surf's Up when I was younger but I haven't watched it in ages. I don't know why they're reviving it with a sequel

Blog Entries

^Because a general rule of thumb is that Vince McMahon is about a decade or more out of touch with what's actually current so doing a sequel to a near decade old kid's movie that a lot of people have probably forgotten about makes perfect sense. That said, the trailer actually got a couple smiles from me with that boulder bit and the general novelty that is Vince voicing himself as an otter. I've still never seen the first so I dunno if it's any good but this doesn't look too bad astoundingly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    all the characters literally have the same name as the wrestlers themselves. It's like, holy shit, their not even trying to be subtle or hiding that their playing themselves as cartoon animals.
    Of course. This is all about branding and potentially pulling more kids towards watching WWE. Gotta make sure the wrestlers get as much spotlight as possible, just like they did with those other crossover movies. I guess technically it wouldn't really be a crossover if the wrestlers were playing personas that are actively different from the ones you'd see them play on Raw or Smackdown, which makes sense since if that weren't the case you could argue that movies starring The Rock like DOOM or the upcoming Jumanji remake are WWE crossovers even though he isn't suppose to be playing the same character he played on WWE programing.

The fact that they abbreviated John Cena to J.C. and opted to just call Triple H "Hunter" is kind of a shock in and of itself. They all just went by their names as they're best known in the Scooby-Doo one and that Flintstones thing only changed a few of them for the sake of bad rock puns.

Blog Entries

oh damn, i forgot about this. looks like a generic kids flick but i find vince otter to be a bit hilarious cuz, you know, fuckin vince mcmahon voicing him.

even still, i'll watch it just to see to see how absolutely bizarre this is gonna be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
     wrestling/wwe is seriously the dumbest shit ever 

except for ufc, that's truly the dumbest shit ever 
    Well, thanks to the existence of asswipes like Brock Lesnar and CM Punk WWE/UFC are forever linked together so now they can share in each other's stupidity as much as they like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    ^Because a general rule of thumb is that Vince McMahon is about a decade or more out of touch with what's actually current so doing a sequel to a near decade old kid's movie that a lot of people have probably forgotten about makes perfect sense.
    yeah I was just wondering this. the other one was that the rights are just super cheap and that's why WWE scoops it up.

Blog Entries

@Mr. O'Reilly the Christmas Poo the best example of Vince being out of touch that I can offer is this infamous story about a guy named Paul Burchill:

In early June, Burchill's popular pirate gimmick came to an end when Mark Henry, who was going on a storyline rampage, defeated Burchill and then assaulted him afterwards resulting in him being stretchered off SmackDown.[32] He resurfaced on SmackDown in July 2007 as a pirate for a Mardi Gras party thrown by Edge, though he was not acknowledged.[33]

This time away from the ring was also used to develop a new gimmick to replace his pirate character on his return. This was done allegedly because Vince McMahon, who reportedly was not aware of the Pirates of the Caribbean films and Johnny Depp's pirate character, believed the character should have thought he was a real pirate, acting more like the Carl Ouellet pirate character from the 1990s, and felt it could not work as a crowd favourite, despite the positive crowd reactions Burchill received.
    Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_B..._Entertainment

TL;DR: Vince didn't know what Pirates of the Caribbean was in 2007.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Even months after this has been announced, I still can't believe this is a real thing that's happening. The first Surf's Up was no masterpiece, but I really liked it the last time I saw it. I will admit that the trailer doesn't look too bad for what it is and I might watch it sometime out of sheer curiosity, but this is still one of the most random ideas for a sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Good things don't end in "eum," they end in "mania."

Or "teria."

Thread Information