View Poll Results: How would you rate the fourth Valentine's Day episode of Bob's Burgers?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - The Mary Tyler Moore Show

5 38.46%
  • 4/5 - The Bob Newhart Show

4 30.77%
  • 3/5 - The Norm Show

2 15.38%
  • 2/5 - The Chevy Chase Show

2 15.38%
  • 1/5 - Mulaney

0 0%

Thread: R&R Bob's Burgers: "The Gene and Courtney Show"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R Bob's Burgers: "The Gene and Courtney Show"

Gene and Courtney (reprised by David Wain) catch a big break when they become the new hosts of the morning announcements.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

I love boobies! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wasn't a fan of this. Just a boring romance story for the most part, although the bit with Bob and Teddy at the flower shop was funny. Still barely scrapes by with a 2/5. One of the worst episodes of the show for me.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

ehhh... the subplot was generally decent, but the gene/courtney story left me in the cold, mostly because that is certainly not a character i felt needed the spotlight again. it just felt like kind of a watered-down version of UNBEARABLE LIKE-LIKENESS. will forte as the av guy was good for a few chuckles but otherwise not one of this show's finest outings, i'll give it a 3/5 just because it made me laugh enough

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

I had a brief laughing fit in the beginning when the principal droned on to list which water fountains were available. I just love how they expected the kids to take note of each fountain location through some shoddy association. I could swear they used to do something like that over the PA in my middle school/high school. just feeling the need to inform you on the most obscure, unnecessary thing.

episode was ok. it gave me the enjoyed smile throughout but not constantly laughing like other eps manage to do. I did like tina's "cross the t's, dot the i's, and follow up with the n-a" joke (paraphrasing). the stories were just alright, not bad though.

I enjoyed it. Maybe it was the withdraw symptoms I've had for the past month, or just Will Forte. 4/5

Blog Entries

huh surprised to see the muted reaction. I loved this one. all the plots were adorable and funny, the ending was surpisingly heartfelt and open-ended as well as expanding the character of gene without managing to fuck it up. this is especially noteworthy in that courtney's past two apperances she was an antagonist and the end was starting to vaguely head in that direction but it swerved. all the while the show is aware that, just like in "boyz for now" this is taking a character outside thier comfort zone and the need to handle it smoothly. louise was showcased in what was really an incredible meltdown, and here gene just becomes remarkably sedate. which leads to a hilarious but brief scene to all the other belchers reacting to the random surprise of witnessing gene and courtney kiss.

this is really how "gene it on" should've been like. the tina plot was just okay, but I loved once again how it eventually dovetailed into the A-plot, and the comic brilliance of bob's plot (and just to make it better, of course they added teddy) just caps off what easily is so far the best episode of the season.

so next valentine's day ep is about louise and regular-sized rudy, yes? please?

5/5

edit: forgot to mention how jon benjamin nailed literally every labonz line to make it that much funnier. every single one. amazing.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Agreed with Ryan's review.

I thought it was sweet, funny, well-plotted and enjoyably non-status-quo (my Simpsons experience made me expect that Gene and Courtney would break up and lose their show, when neither really happened). Every Belcher family member had their own time to shine here, with consistently fun results that left me smiling at the end when all the plots coalesced. The humor was solid too, from the mundane morning announcements to fun one-liners like "It looks like Valentine's Day just threw up in here" and Tina's "T-I-N-A" bit.

Despite Courtney being kind of a gross weirdo, she was fairly sympathetic here, and Gene even moreso. Bob's Burgers is still the best show on TV. Voted 5.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

Didn't care for this one at all. Found it really dull and unfunny. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

I agree with the good reviews.

It's about time we have a Gene episode I can definitively call a classic along side character episodes for Louise and Tina like Carpe Museum and Tina Wrecks. Genuinely emotional stuff from Gene being put outside his comfort zone, FINALLY we can say a recurring character has come into the show through Gene (as every other friend the kids ave come through Louise or Tina), genuinely funny stuff. 5/5.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Jeez. I know Gene can be divisive, but this was a 5/5. Really fantastic character development for Gene here and it was a terrific reversal of gender roles to have Courtney be the one keeping things professional despite her feelings. She really progressed as well, you can see the writers trying to steer her toward her father's career. Gene waking up, lovelorn, in the middle of the night to scribble out a thoughtful yet vague song about love is one of his most relatable moments on the show so far.

The subplot was very strong as well with Tina 100% in her element, functioning once again as the show's most sympathy-inducing character. She turned into her mother's daughter with the letter-tearing, but she's been known to go a bit unstable when it comes to romance. The carnation delivery montage (great top-down direction and expressive animation here) was a downer, but the ending with Jimmy Jr. was a relief. I have no idea what's going on with those two at this point.

As for everyone else, Louise is very subtly amusing here, soaking in the chaos without actively contributing to it. Linda has been on a good run lately. They've turned her character down a few notches since seasons 3-4 and it's been a net positive. Bob's harebrained schemes to find last minute carnations provided much of the episode's humor. The skeevy black market wholesale that Teddy discovered was one of the show's more imaginative locations. Valentine's Day was shitty for Bob and Linda like always, but hey, they made out, and that's better than a lot of Valentine's that I've had.

Not the funniest episode of the show, but that's perfectly fine when the characterizations are so spot on and real character progression is being made. This was a strong episode from everyone involved and it added some depth to a couple of the show's more tentative relationships. 5/5.
    Last edited by Traviud; 03-26-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Thread Information