Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the last TV show you watched?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Tyrant Beats James Holzhauer! D DEBBS's Avatar

Some show about Sean Penn on Reelz

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is not the "Last thing you ate" thread, guys! Can't you be more specific with what the episode you watched was about? Your thoughts, maybe what rating you'd give it? This thread has the potential to be so much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Still Futurama. Fry And The Slurm Factory. Though I watched the commentary for Mars University yesterday, but idk if that counts.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Futurama - "Saturday Morning Fun Pit"

This episode is dumb as hell and a lot of the jokes are horses that have already been beaten to a fine pulp. Most of the jokes in the Scooby-Doo segment in particular are some of the lowest-hanging fruits this show has ever picked. So I can understand why most people consider it their least-favorite. But I don't think it's that bad. As far as pseudo-THOH episodes go, I still like it more than Naturama or Holiday Spectacular (and the only reason I don't rank it above Reincarnation is because I adore the Fleischer Bros. segment in that one)
    I think what mostly salvages this one is the GI Joe segment. Nixon's MST3K-style treatment of the cartoon is hilarious.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

I've been rewatching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the first two seasons. I watched The Gang Finds a Dead Guy, and it's such a great example of the show and the characters doing what they do best. You got Mac and Dennis trying to impress this woman because her grandfather died in their bar, and she didn't really know him, so they pretend they knew him in an attempt to have sex with the girl. And because of that, you've got Charlie and Dee visiting Dee and Dennis' grandfather in a nursing home, where he thinks Charlie is Dennis and tells him he wants to be buried in his war uniform; and when it arrives, we find out he's a Nazi. And of course Charlie and Mac trying to sell the Nazi uniform to a historical museum in one of my favorite scenes from the show(at least from these first two seasons). All in all, it's a pretty good example of why I like this show. These characters are all so horrible, yet I can't help but be amused. I really need to rewatch the rest of this show and get caught up. Didn't they finish s11 this year? I'm up to like season 9 I believe. Can't wait to continue on, I don't like the later seasons as much but they have their moments

Tyrant Beats James Holzhauer! D DEBBS's Avatar

Celebrity Legacies on Reelz: subject was Tupac Shakur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    This is not the "Last thing you ate" thread, guys! Can't you be more specific with what the episode you watched was about? Your thoughts, maybe what rating you'd give it? This thread has the potential to be so much better!
    I would love to try that, but... well, some of these shows I just watch quickly before I go to school or work so I can't always remember as much about them. I would love to write longer reviews, but sometimes the things I watch aren't narratives (John Oliver, Samantha Bee) so I'd have to come up with a better ratings system for it. Plus, some of the narratives I watch I doubt would really interest the members here (Glitter Force, Just Add Magic, Project MC^2, etc) so would it really be worth going into detail? Plus, some of them are more grounded in continuity (Mr. Robot, Breaking Bad... and heck even Just Add Magic and Project MC^2 might fit here as well) so to just jump in on a random review would seem awkward.

I've always thought about using other rating systems, heck I really like yours with the +/- or how AlphaOmega writes such detailed paragraphs... but I'm only ever able to do that when discussing the show in general instead of specific episodes.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Futurama - Brannigan Begin Again

EDIT: Everytime I come on it's probably gonna be Futurama so that'll cover me for the next few months.

Blog Entries

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.- Meet The New Boss.

Just to be clear, I haven't watched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. since the very first couple of episodes. I lost interest because I found it boring and there were other shows I was interested in watching, and I really didn't about it anymore when I heard that Season 3 had turned it into "The Inhumans Show". But then they announced that Ghost Rider was going to be added to the show, and that managed to lure me back into the show, especially since it was the Robbie Reyes version, whose comic book series I was a big fan of.

I don't know if the 10 PM timeslot allows them to get away with more things now, or if the show had just gotten this was naturally throughout the years, but man, the show is much more dark now then it used to be. There's also a lot of blood that they show pretty often here now, the characters seem more depressed now, there are a lot more creepy images with the ghosts driving people insane, and even the lighting seems more toned down. I guess it's fitting for a show featuring Ghost Rider now.

Speaking of which, Ghost Rider did not disappoint me at all. Gabriel Luna is fantastic as Robbie Reyes, he comes off as not exactly a bad guy, but he does have a chip on his shoulder and is pretty violent and threatening when he wants to be, which is how I figure someone who sold their soul and is now stuck transforming into a flaming skeleton who punishes the guilty should be. The Ghost Rider form itself looks amazing, like it just popped out of the pages of the comics itself. One thing I noticed though is that this Robbie seems to be a mixture of comics Robbie and the classic Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze. Even Robbie's skull in the show looks more like the classic Ghost Rider one then the more mechanical one he had in the comics. He also mentions that he sold his soul to become Ghost Rider, which seems to mean he sold it to Mephisto just like Johnny did instead of bonding with Eli (who might not even exist in the show's universe).

Anyway, the plot is that Quake is hunting down Ghost Rider after their fight last episode. They have some really good interactions, my favorite being when she assumes he's an Inhuman in denial and Robbie still insists that, nope, he did sell his soul. Quake seems really obsessed with going after Ghost Rider, and even Robbie calls her out on basically being suicidal, and apparently she's like this because she's still depressed over her boyfriend's death from last season (at least according to the basic summaries of Season 3's plot that I looked up online). Meanwhile Fitz and Mack are looking into the mysterious box that drove people crazy last people and track down a bunch of others to an abandoned facility. The ghost that was looked up in the box frees the other ghosts that were in the boxes. It looks like the show is going to explore the darker side of the Marvel universe, because their trying to track down the Darkhold (essentially Marvel's version of the Necronomicon), which turned them into ghosts and can maybe fix them, but one of them goes "screw that!" and is just going to blow up the faculty instead and kill tons of people. Meanwhile, May goes crazy after she came into contact with the ghost from last episode and sees everyone without eyes and attacks them. We also meet the mysterious new director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and it turns out it's some guy named Jeffery. It's kind of disappointing, I thought he was going to be a recognizable comic character, not some really obscure one. He's also pretty nice, which is weird since everyone described him last episode as a complete asshole. He does get a cool moment where after May beats everyone else up she attacks him and he completly no-sells it like he's the Terminator or something and easily knocks her out and reveals he's another Inhuman...of course. Also May goes out in a straight jacket and flown away, so I guess Jeffrey is supposed to be a shady guy after all. The highlight of this episode was when the ghost almost kills Mack and Fitz, but Robbie saves them. Admittedly, it is pretty convenient that Robbie would show up like that in the nick of time, but I was extremely excited when Robbie grabbed the ghost, the ghost's confusion at this, and then his look of fear when Robbie turns into Ghost Rider and kills the ghost. And now I guess Quake and Ghost Rider are going to be partners. There's also a moment where Jeffery is giving a tour to some congressmen, and Coulson talks about Peggy Carter and all the amazing adventures she went on that were sadly undocumented. I guess someone working on the show was unhappy over Agent Carter's cancellation.

So in conclusion, I really enjoyed this episode. The pace was really strong for an episode that had about 4-5 plots running at the same time, and I felt the show never lost its focus or was uninterested. The cast was actually pretty intresting and had really good interactions with each other. Ghost Rider was fantastic and a thrill to watch. I'm also genuinely in all the mysteries the season has set up already, such as what the deal is with Jeffery, what's going to happen to May, who are the ghosts and what their connection is to the Darkhold, and of course, Ghost Rider's backstory. Two episodes in and I'm already hooked. Here's hoping the rest of the season can continue to be this good. Looking forward to the next episode in two weeks.

Blog Entries

The Clone Wars - "The Lair of Grievous"

Green bug-eyed tentacle-Jedi Kit Fisto, his now-grown padawan, and a clone squad hunt down Nute Gunray (that racist caricature who was the bad guy in Phantom Menace) after his escape from Republic custody in the previous episode. They unwittingly follow him into General Grievous' supervillain-hideout, and start getting slaughtered one by one.

This was a good one. I like that we get to move away from Anakin/Ahsoka/Ol' Ben and focus on side characters for full episodes like this. And Kit Fisto has always been one of those minor characters I've always wanted to see more of, if not just for his neato design. As an aside, I love that Phil Lamar makes him sound like a roided-out Hermes Conrad.
    Fisto's conflict with his old protege is more compelling than I expected it to be, and the whole thing had a really nice suspenseful atmosphere. At times it felt like watching a dungeon-crawl RPG.
    It's possibly the most we've seen of Grievous so far and it's interesting seeing his 'home life', so to speak, with his big dog thing he genuinely seems to love, and that Paul Lynde droid.

Good stuff. Looking forward to continuing with this. I got all 6 seasons really cheap a little while back, and good timing, since there are too many people using the same internet connection at once in this place at nearly all times, and it can make using Netflix more trouble than it's worth. The goal now is to try and watch one disc's worth of episodes per night, give or take.

Should've bumped the AoS thread @AlphaOmega
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

I didn't know there was an AoS thread. Sorry.

Blog Entries

The Clone Wars - "The Hidden Enemy"

Anakin and Obi-Wan discover that there's a Separatist informant somewhere among them who's been leaking their plans and revealing their location to the baddies. They have reason to believe it's a clone soldier, so while they head behind enemy lines to investigate, the soldiers in the barracks try to weed out who among them is a traitor.

This shuffled continuity is starting to piss me off... Why does this take place after an episode that aired a full year later and before the pilot movie that came out a full year previously? And with no real narrative justification (IE, twists and such)?

Regardless, this was superb. The stuff with the Jedi was cool but I was really invested in the more down-to-earth drama with the clones. I love these episodes that put the focus on them and take on a war movie vibe. It may not be as good as "Rookies" (which is probably my favorite episode so far) but it's up there.

Also, I can't tell you how much I enjoy the fact that there's a villain introduced here whose name is "Worm Loathsom". That one's up there with "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius".

Blog Entries

MIraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir

Now I promise I will start actually talking about shows, as soon as I watch something I think people here would actually enjoy.

Blog Entries

SpongeBob SquarePants:
    "Bulletin Board"

So ever since Sponge Out Of Water, I've felt the show has been a return to form, and episodes like this are why. In fact, this one was very clever. It felt like the bulletin board was sort of addressing Internet message boards without actually using them. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone in this show has ever used anything like a SmartPhone or an iPod or anything like that. But names like "PStar7" remind me of internet chat room names. Mr. Krabs was his usual greedy self, but he didn't really resort to anything terrible. He just saw the value in the board and the devalue of it later. I knew PStar7 was Patrick all along, but I like how his messages and how they hurt others does address the issue of cyberbullying without using any actual tech. It's not every day you see a show like this.

This was very in character for SpongeBob not to want to devalue the community by removing the board, and Squidward for laughing until he was the subject of it and not wanting to be called "Delicate Flower". I also liked how Patrick's "it reminds me of a baseball glove" really meant his youth and "dark and empty inside" meant he was hungry. This also showed just how out of control a community can get.

5/5

Blog Entries

Lost

my friend got Lost at the rental store because his wife hasn't seen it. We've watched the first four episodes so far. It's really interesting seeing these characters, because I've only ever watched Lost all the way through once, and that was a while ago. So, certain moments come up, it's like "Oh, I remember this!" The fourth episode, Walkabout, is easily the best episode yet, as it gives us a clear understanding that something about this island just isn't right. I can't wait to continue rewatching and see what other moments pop up that I can go and think "Oh yeah, I know where they're going with this!" as well as see my friends' reactions.

Blog Entries

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "The Prom"

So the apocalypse is looming (one episode away from the looks of it) but every character on the show has a shit-stupid obsession with preparing for senior prom. It's repeatedly referred to as the most important night of any teenager's life but I mean, if you're just going to say fuck it and shift your focus onto that then yeah, it will be, considering they're all going to be dead soon. I just can't buy at all that the characters are supposedly smarter/more mature than the average teenager but are dumb enough to get caught up in this. Even Giles gets in on the fun.

There's some nerd who has satanic dog creatures that he plans to have crash the prom. How and where he got them, trained them, and kept them in his house for who knows how long is a mystery, and one the episode doesn't seem too concerned with, because the whole storyline doesn't get much screentime and is an obvious springboard to give the characters disproportionate, baffling angst over the possibility of not being able to go do the thing. The baddies all get dispatched unceremoniously (in fact, the guy who released the monsters and who the whole story is supposedly about stopping just kind of disappears halfway through without any kind of resolution) and most of the episode focuses primarily on the 'heartwarming' prom stuff and general insufferable, cliched teenager crap and Buffy and Angel's melodramatic romance.

But like I said, the 'real' plot of the episode is so underdeveloped and makes no sense that it brings the episode down even further than the eye-rolling characterization. That kid sure went to a lot of trouble to do something that could have gone terribly wrong any number of ways. If he can get his hands on some caged feral demons then surely he could have just gotten a gun or something, then the whole episode would have been a lot simpler and he probably would have succeeded, especially being pre-columbine and all that. The monsters do look pretty cool though, I'll give him that. Gotta go with theatricality I suppose, and I have to respect that. And it was kind of amusing that he's been conditioning the monsters towards this end by Ludovico-ing them with a stack of John Hughes movies. I'd be angry too if I were forced to marathon that crap.

I think Buffy is noxious, runny shit but my boyfriend was reminded of why he loves this show so much after watching this and is now set on making me sit down and watch the whole thing with him. So maybe possibly expect more reviews
    Last edited by LosTickaToeRest; 10-04-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Blog Entries

LoliRock

I watched late night before bedtime, and I am going to be busy, so no long review. Plus, it wouldn't appeal to the members here.

Blog Entries

we're still watching Lost, and it's getting more interesting. one of the episodes my friends and I watched introduced 'Ethan', and I had the dumbest smile on my face because all I could think was "Oh, Ethan! I remember this!" it's a fun thing, rewatching this show. the last episode we watched introduced the character of Danielle and talks a bit about the 'others', and the ending is one of the creepier endings in the series IMO, because it's one of the main characters, Sayid, wandering through the jungle trying to get back to the camp, while he hears mysterious whispers. man, I can't wait till we get further into this show

Blog Entries

Steven Universe - "Too Many Birthdays".

So, in case you're not familiar with it, Steven Universe is a show about a little boy and his friends, who are alien creatures called Crystal Gems who can change their bodily shape, appearance, and mass at will (and do other stuff). Steven is half-human and half-Gem (long story) and also has some powers of shapeshifting.

This episode has him trying to put on birthday parties for the different Crystal Gem characters because he's upset to learn that his friends don't have or celebrate birthdays like humans do. These attempts fail and Steven becomes depressed and wanders his home town and begins, due to the fact that he's part Gem, to age rapidly from adolescence to adulthood to old age. The Gems find him near death due to old age and try frantically to reverse the process.

This is actually one of the first episodes to really give me feels. I really liked the show before this, and I'm getting more and more impressed with the world- and character-building that a show that's only 11 minutes long for each episode can pack into each ep, but this actually kind of got to me on a deeper level emotionally than previously. It did remind me of being a kid and how birthdays were fun but they were also a symbol of how you were aging and ready to some day no longer be a child, and the sweep of time from how I was as a child and a teenager to me as a 30-something adult. It's hard to put into words, but it's sort of a nostalgia feeling combined with both apprehension and anticipation of the future.

I've heard the show gets darker as it goes on so I'm really looking forward to the show going deeper with the characters and situations.

Looking forward to you joining us in the SU thread when you are clear of potential spoilers

That SU ep is great. I found that's about where I really fell in love with the individual personalities and actions of each Gem. Pearl's manic mom-mode shows wonderfully here, as does Amethyst's playful ribbing nature with her turning into that car thing. And then Garnet...serious lols at her trying to "get through" to Steven with the others reacting to it appropriately.

And yeah...it definitely gets darker and more wonderful.

@LosTickaToeRest making me sad about BTVS, tho. Love that show to death even with its faults. @D4C didn't want to watch it either because of how he felt towards it as it was airing, but he ended up loving it and then we did a chronological marathon of Angel at the same time. We were jumping back and forth between each show as the eps fell in place on a timeline.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

Yu-Gi-Oh! -Episodes 7-9: Uncut Dub Version

Ok, so for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, way back over a decade ago, 4Kids (back when they were still around and actually popular) teamed up with Funimation to release a series of 'uncut' versions of Yu-Gi-Oh! on DVD. I think they did a couple for Shamin King too. The DVD's kept the English voice actors and the dub names, but they also kept the original Japanese soundtrack, the Japanese opening and ending songs, the Japanese episodes titles, and basically all the Japanese writing and violence that 4Kids edited out of their shows. They even re-recorded the dialogue to make it match closer the Japanese version and added in profanity. They released 3 DVD volumes of the uncut version (with each volume having 3 episodes) and were going to release a 4th one, but then 4Kids cancelled the series and never released the DVD. From what I understand, it was either because they didn't want sales of the DVD's to compete with the sales of their edited versions, or because of legal issues they were from the company that owns Yu-Gi-Oh! in japan. A shame really, I would have liked to see if 4Kids would have released more uncut versions of their shows on DVD had they continued with it.

Anyway, the episodes were about Yugi fighting Mako Tsunami (the freaky fish guy), Yugi's duel with Mokuba, and the first half of Yugi's duel with the guy claiming to be Kaiba's ghost. If you've ever seen an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!, you know what to expect, but I was surprised that the show still managed to entertain me a lot. I forgot how much I used to watch the show as a kid. Good times. The more quitter and underplayed Japanese soundtrack does bring a feeling of a different atmosphere compared to the dub version with it's much more louder and more energetic music, which I thought was interesting (although I personality do prefer the dub music).

Still, it was a really interesting experience to see a version of the dub where Yugi says "hellfire", Pegasus outright saying he's drinking wine (instead of something like juice), Pegasus's goons actually holding guns when trying to bring Kaiba in (one of them even fires it and Kaiba deflects it with his briefcase!), and fake Kaiba constantly claiming that he's dead now and that he killed himself in despair and actually says he's going to drag Yugi down with him to hell.

Blog Entries

^I really need to start trying to watch SU again. I like what I've seen and am interested in seeing where it goes. Too Many Birthdays is one of the few full episodes I've seen - and I loved it. My horrible ex was an obsessive fan of the show so I kind of keep putting it off for that reason but I'm sure it will be good enough to get past that.

Anyway..

American Horror Story - "Devil's Night"

AHS is one of those shows that teeters wildly back and forth between genuinely good and embarrassingly bad. Every season it's like the writers just throw every random thing they can think of at the wall and most of the time none of it sticks well enough for the length of a season without just kind of petering out.

So far I'm liking this Hotel season alright. Evan Peters' H.H. Holmesian killer is a lot more interesting as a "rich serial killer who always gets away with it" type character than the insufferable brat in the Freakshow season. The Lady Gaga vampire crap is wearing thin though. The character got old fast and I don't like the way she's kind of dominating the focus here. Just about every other storyline going on is more interesting, even the goth-teen-fanficciness of the dead-serial-killer-convention thing. The way this show loves to take things in totally left-field directions and throw even more stuff against the wall as it goes on, maybe the Gaga stuff will sink back a little. Because otherwise I'm liking the setting and atmosphere of this season better than usual for this show. Also gotta say the soundtrack so far is phenomenal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loss.jpgTickaToeRest View Post
    AHS is one of those shows that teeters wildly back and forth between genuinely good and embarrassingly bad. Every season it's like the writers just throw every random thing they can think of at the wall and most of the time none of it sticks well enough for the length of a season without just kind of petering out.
    Quoting this because I feel the exact same way about AHS as a whole, though I tend to be a bit more optimistic about their shit sticking to the wall, as it were. I actually really wonder what the writers' room for that show is like because it feels like entire seasons are just sort of made up on the fly in a Mad Lib, Choose Your Own Adventure sort of way and I wonder what the process is for that. I really feel like the show's greatest strength is its incredible cast - I mean in Coven they managed to land Angela Bassette, Jessica Lang, and Kathy Bates - how incredible is that? (Though I think making some sort of dumb "shared universe" between seasons is also really stupid precisely because of the repeating cast...)

Blog Entries

Yeah, they've got some amazing recurring cast members, that's always one of the best things about the show (and is also why the shared-continuity thing is a little strange). I'm a tad bitter though that Jessica Lange quit the show and now they've got Lady Gaga on instead as a new recurring cast member (instead of a one-off gimmick role like I was hoping it would stay).

Blog Entries

Just finished Steven Universe - "Monster Buddies". Steven accidentally "unbubbles" a monster's gem (a monster that we've seen before, I think from the first episode, so nice continuity there) and wants to train the monster to be a friend to him. It works for a while but, due to the monster's fearful reactions and the protectiveness of the Crystal Gems, things go awry.

This is another episode to give me feels. Steven's better nature, that of a caring, compassionate (if naive) kid who wants to see the best in someone or something no matter how they might have hurt him in the past or how monstrous they might appear, is fully on display, the ending is bittersweet and genuinely emotional, and the writing is excellent. It manages to tell a concise, mature story in a way that both kids and adults can appreciate and take some values from.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

I recently got Netflix and I'm pretty disappointed in how shit it is overall.

But I started rewatching House again. Never saw from S1 before. I actually really like it. It's a shame seeing Cuddy with how I know he'll drive her off completely near the end.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loss.jpgTickaToeRest View Post
    Every season it's like the writers just throw every random thing they can think of at the wall and most of the time none of it sticks well enough for the length of a season without just kind of petering out
    there is none where this is more evident than in freak show, where it started off so well but ended like they rushed to get it over with. characters' arcs were cut short with no resolution, neil patrick harris' character did absolutely nothing useful in his time on the show, and it just blew chunks.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

I spent the last couple of days getting through Jessica Jones (finally). It was absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait for the next season. Incredibly hard for me to watch at times due to personal experience, but I mean that in the best way possible. I would definitely recommend it.

I now plan to go back and do Daredevil, so that I can go forward to do Luke Cage. I am a completionist on sick leave, so lots of time to catch up on TV shows I hadn't gotten around to yet. Before Jessica Jones I did Stranger Things, which was also phenomenal (and I hate how long it will be before season two because I neeeeeed iiiiiit).

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bias

Thread Information