Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: What's the last TV show you watched?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Bonkers

Favorite from each season (1-12): Krusty Gets Busted, Principal Charming, Bart the Murderer, Last Exit to Springfield, Cape Feare, The PTA Disbands, Marge Be Not Proud, Homer's Enemy, Bart Carny, The Old Man and the "C" Student, Missionary: Impossible, The Great Money Caper

Worst from each season (1-12): Homer's Odyssey, One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish, Dog of Death, So It's Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show, None (Season 5), Another Simpsons Clip Show, The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular, None (Season 8), Principal and the Pauper, None (Season 10), Saddlesore Galactica, Simpson Safari

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Haha, that's random, my answer is Hey Arnold as well. I picked up that complete series boxset for $20 recently and have been randomly rewatching them as I exercise. Just finished Helga on the Couch.

Also been watching a ton of House of Cards lately.
    These are both great choices. After more than a full year of being excited for a Hey Arnold renewal, it's a shame we have no more news on it.

Last one I binge-watched was The Good Place but until Season 2. I'll continue on my next day-off.

Last TV show I finished was Simpsons season 5. lol

Right now, my rotation is supposed to have me watching X-Files season 5, but then I found out that Chris Carter has another TV show called "Millennium", which X-Files season 7 will conclude with a special episode after the former is cancelled after three seasons. Yeah, it's a real mess. But I'm not going to bore you with the details and will just say I'm now watching Millennium season 1 instead of X-Files, starring the famous Lance Henriksen as a psychic detective who can see what psychopaths see. Charming. I'll stick with it for a while, see if I'll like it.

Has a cooking pan on his head Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At the moment, Frasier is on my TV screen.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    At the moment, Frasier is on my TV screen.
    Remote broken?

Blog Entries

No. I'm now watching 'The Big Bang Theory'.

Blog Entries

I've just started the 4th season of Legend of Korra.

I really like the differences in this show and Avatar; the fact that each season is shorter and has its own villain. I also love the fighting sequences, something Avatar always did well and is refreshing to see done so well here as well.

B99 seasons 7 episode Captain Kim.

Great episode btw

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Remote broken?
    What's wrong with Fraiser?

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    What's wrong with Fraiser?
    Nothing really. Not my favorite show. Saw an opportunity for a quip and I took it.

Blog Entries

B99
    in the middle of watching this as well, took a little bit of a break. like... halfway done with season 6.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: sandurt

Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post
    in the middle of watching this as well, took a little bit of a break. like... halfway done with season 6.
    I personally think 6 is the worst season 7 is easily top 3 seasons I'm re-watching the show btw.

Blog Entries

Right now I'm watching Homestar Runner for some reason...

Just finished season 2 of Kaiji. The first season was a great gambling anime with the kind of psychological mind games you'd find in Death Note. Second season still had that, but only for the first-half. The second-half, dealing with a glorified pachinko machine (Japanese pinball), felt like its main strategy was "Let's just throw more money at it!" 4/5 regardless because it still has some great emotional moments.

Right now, I'm finishing up the rest of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and for my second anime, I'm about to start the "Silver Soul Arc" of Gintama pretty soon, an arc that's pretty much the series finale of the longrunning popular anime. For those who don't know, Gintama is pretty much Japanese South Park and even Japanese Simpsons to some degree, having that kind of rebellious counterculture aspect and makes fun of other anime and even real life politicians. Usually, in Japan, such a behavior is actively frowned upon unlike the free country of America, so it's almost even more counterculture than '90s Simpsons was.

I've loved this anime for a long time, but I never found the time to really finish the series. And now it's finally time. Sigh. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend. At least it's now ending. Could've dragged on for 30 seasons, eh? But seriously, it's still dragged on for too long. The last few seasons of Gintama have been quite stale compared to its Golden Pre-HD Era. It has a better excuse than Simpsons for being that way though, because like most anime, Gintama is adapted from a manga, and much like Game of Thrones, it had to wait for many chapters of the manga to be finished before it could continue with the main plot. In the meantime, they had to make do with filler arcs. And now the time has come, where the conclusion of the main plot has finally been finished. Shame the same couldn't be said for A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Borner1990; 09-04-2020 at 09:36 PM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: sandurt

Blog Entries

Just finished Suits yesterday (well, the episodes that have been aired)

Quote Originally Posted by Borner1990 View Post
    Just finished season 2 of Kaiji. The first season was a great gambling anime with the kind of psychological mind games you'd find in Death Note. Second season still had that, but only for the first-half. The second-half, dealing with a glorified pachinko machine (Japanese pinball), felt like its main strategy was "Let's just throw more money at it!" 4/5 regardless because it still has some great emotional moments.

Right now, I'm finishing up the rest of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and for my second anime, I'm about to start the "Silver Soul Arc" of Gintama pretty soon, an arc that's pretty much the series finale of the longrunning popular anime. For those who don't know, Gintama is pretty much Japanese South Park and even Japanese Simpsons to some degree, having that kind of rebellious counterculture aspect and makes fun of other anime and even real life politicians. Usually, in Japan, such a behavior is actively frowned upon unlike the free country of America, so it's almost even more counterculture than '90s Simpsons was.

I've loved this anime for a long time, but I never found the time to really finish the series. And now it's finally time. Sigh. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend. At least it's now ending. Could've dragged on for 30 seasons, eh? But seriously, it's still dragged on for too long. The last few seasons of Gintama have been quite stale compared to its Golden Pre-HD Era. It has a better excuse than Simpsons for being that way though, because like most anime, Gintama is adapted from a manga, and much like Game of Thrones, it had to wait for many chapters of the manga to be finished before it could continue with the main plot. In the meantime, they had to make do with filler arcs. And now the time has come, where the conclusion of the main plot has finally been finished. Shame the same couldn't be said for A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones.
    Have a good time it's probably my very favorite arc

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Millennium, Season 1 - 3.5/5

It would be easy to dismiss Millennium as "X-Files with serial killers," but such generalization wouldn't really do justice to the deeper themes about human nature it explored more than The X-Files. But the thing that stood out most for me about the show, however, is just how grisly, graphic and just overall dark the show could get, and this is in comparison to Chris' other project, X-Files, which was already considered one of the most disturbing series in the '90s. Millennium had that kind of macabre nature we'd see from "Criminal Minds" and "True Detective" a decade later, and it's unsurprising since it's a show about serial killers, but dang, Chris really didn't hold back. You would rarely get anything too explicit on-screen for more than two seconds, but it's the nature of the crime that provokes the audience, especially when half of the season deals with sex crimes. You could let your imagination take it from there.

The other half usually involves religion and doomsday phobia, a theme I'm sure will be explored much more in the later seasons, but I like how this is dealt with in a grounded way so far without treading into the supernatural territory. I hope they retain such realism in season 2 and 3, because it's what ultimately separated Millennium from X-Files, its basis on reality. psychology and psychopathology. Unfortunately, I've also read that each season of Millennium feels like an entirely different series because they each have their own showrunners.

To be frank, I've never really been a fan of procedural serials. I dropped "Grimm" because of this, because of how tedious and repetitive the series could become, trapped in its routine of "X of the Week" (Monster of the Week/Serial Killer of the Week/Mystery of the Week). While such a routine could be utilized for stimulating character studies or even metaphors about life itself (see the very show this forum is based on), many shows just don't do that well and rely on lazy routines until its overdue cancellation. Millennium does avoid that pitfall of TV writing well because it usually has something more to say about people, our morality, the meaning of our existence, the power of faith and other spiritual themes that makes it an engrossing watch, done in a similar metaphorical way as Whedon.

That is not to say that Millennium is invulnerable to the trappings of a MotW format, however. You could still see signs of repetition in each episode in spite of the aforementioned themes about humanity. The overarching storyline of a single episode usually plays out in similar ways, the ways criminal investigations are usually played out in procedural cop shows, the same "twists" that aren't really twists and more like a deus ex machina clue that the protagonist, Frank Black (Lance Henriksen) only finds near the end of the episode. It's not necessarily a bad thing if the writers utilize such story tropes well enough, but I feel like, with Frank being the only important character of the show (the other characters don't receive as much character development), the show easily loses that energy once Frank's character has been fleshed out enough that nothing more interesting could be said. Buffy, on the other hand, has a whole cast of main characters to play around with, so its MotW format isn't as damaging to its pacing. Plus, Joss Whedon and his obsession with character-centric stories.

Ultimately, I still feel like it's a strong series in spite of its faults. More often than not, by the end of an episode, there's this morbid and pessimistic atmosphere about human fallibility that kept me watching. For example, one episode even ended with them being too late to save a guy from committing suicide out of guilt. It's that kind of show that makes you feel bad and may even convert you into a cynic of humanity, but it's also balanced well with its messages of faith in the darkness, a theme that's made more compelling by Frank's agnosticism. There's this spirituality and tranquility to the way the characters accept their horrible world of killers that can make me feel comfortable and relaxed, even in the face of all these horrors the show is presenting. In the midst of these nightmares, Frank finds peace in his wife and daughter, Catherine and Jordan (and the cute border collie, Benny), and there's a catharsis to seeing that kind of acceptance in life.

Anyway, now I could finally return to my rotation. I think one other reason this series felt kinda long to me was because my viewing routine of Simpsons/X-Files/Buffy was interrupted. I'm not even sure it's OCD; I just think I'm plain fussy. lol Back to X-Files season 5, which I'll be watching alongside Millennium season 2.

Blog Entries

Millennium is not as bad as a show as what other people call it.

Anyway, Mr Motivator (from a UK show called GMTV) on Youtube
    Last edited by Trab Pu Kcip; 09-08-2020 at 06:51 AM.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

And thus it is over, my long journey over the past three months or more watching this 110-episode anime, its prologue movie and its two prequel spin-offs. I'm grateful to have experienced this anime. Among the anime fandom, "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" truly lived up to its name, a legendary series renowned for being an utterly unique anime that completely defied the convention of "cartoon is just for kids" even as early as 1988. And its recognition as a mature series isn't attributed to something as superficial as "shock humor" like many adult cartoons like Family Guy, but rather, it's because of its many thoughtful political discussions criticizing both democratic and autocratic governments, its brutal portrayal of warfare yet recognizing the significance of its existence in shaping nations for the better or worse, its questioning of the role of a soldier and the meaning of his loyalty, its rich cast of myriad characters who are each so thoroughly fleshed out, and last but not least, its groundbreaking space-fleet battles utilizing strategies and tactics so brilliant that they would probably fascinate any intellectuals even today. LoGH was truly one of its kind, which was why it easily made it to my top must-watch list for a long time. It stood among (and perhaps even above) the ranks of other renowned anime series like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion and many others that have come to revolutionize Japanese animation.

When I said that I'm grateful to have watched this, I guess I should elaborate more on why a mere TV series would earn my appreciation that way. Anime wasn't always a part of my life, as I only started watching anime actively during my college years. Prior to that, I might have watched the occasional Pokemon and Digimon, maybe a Cardcaptor Sakura, but it was just casual viewing, and I didn't really come to appreciate the medium as I would in later years. I guess it was just fascinating to me back then that there are these cartoons that convey such complex themes a seven year old would have no possible way of comprehending. And it wasn't just one or two niched movies like what Watership Down did for American animation either; there were at least a dozen anime series in the '80s or '90s that were pretty violent and definitely not for kids. And I guess I've always been someone who's more interested in unique movies and TV shows that does something special I've never seen before. There was always this thirst for novelty and originality, so much so that when I've experienced all the "must-see" anime like some of the titles I mentioned above, the other normal anime just became kinda stale for me. Many anime are decent entertainment, no doubt, but they just couldn't satisfy this addiction of mine to see something brilliant and revolutionary. That's why whenever an anime like LoGH comes along, it earns my utmost appreciation for being "one of the greats" that shines its brilliance as bright as the star fields in the anime itself.

When trying to recommend LoGH to others, I would often make the mistake of giving it a generalization as insulting as "Star Wars meets Star Trek". Many LoGH fans have stated that it's really the Chinese novel, "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" that inspired the 1986 novel the anime was based on, something which I can't comment on since I have no knowledge of either books. But I think it's easy for anyone unfamiliar with the series or even anime itself to judge the anime's content based on its space-fleet battles than anything else. I feel like that would be a mistake, because as amazing as the strategies were in these battles, they are but the surface to what makes up most of the anime: political and ethical arguments, philosophical musings, multiple coup d'état of tyrannical governments, purging of corrupted governments, riots over unfair government treatments, etc, etc. It's less of a "space battle anime" than it is a political anime, and even that isn't entirely accurate due to its epic Shakespearean coups against empires and kings. It's more like Japanese Game of Thrones in space.

And you know, it's not just its grandiose themes either. As I mentioned, there are lots of characters in the anime, and the audience is given ample time to familiarize with them. Most of them are unique individuals that don't really belong to any cliched character archetypes either. I'm not going to go into details for every one of them, but the two main characters are Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm. Yang is a walking contradiction in that he's a pacifistic soldier who's willing to kill hundreds of enemy forces in order to achieve democracy for his people, albeit in ways that would result in the least amount of bloodshed. And god, he's just such a brilliant tactician that he ended up annoying the heck out of me. He truly lives up to his nickname, "Magician Yang" for being able to often thwart the enemy forces in unpredictable ways. As for Reinhard, the passionate Golden Boy is my favorite of the two in spite of being an autocratic leader. His goal in the beginning was that he's fighting for enough promotions to free his sister from the binds of a Kaiser (she was sold off by her father in debt). But over time, once he rose in ranks, his goal was to unite the entire universe to achieve universal peace, free from the bloodshed and corruption he had to endure under previously corrupted Kaisers. It's a bit naive, but I think that's why I favored him. He has this kind of energy and ambition that would make anyone follow him. He's not as brilliant a tactician as Yang, but he's a better strategist who could see the bigger picture. He's still intelligent enough, however, to utilize really creative ways of winning the battle. For example, in the prequel movie, he used the planet's gravitational gas cloud to his advantage and easily disposed of his enemies that way. You'll come to see lots of these "out of the box" strategies in the course of the series.

The fact that these characters have such rich backgrounds and storylines is probably essential to the kind of unpredictability that will be forced upon their lives. Any one can die in this anime, and I do mean any one. There are no "rules" or story conventions how a character's fate would go. I would often make the mistake of thinking, "In a typical story, this character would probably do so and so, or he will have some deus ex machina to save him." I was often proven wrong. This anime threw me off many, many times. And if it was any other anime with less developed characters, I probably wouldn't have been as affected when someone important dies. And oh my god, so many people died. I think it's important that so many of the talented people in this anime ended up dying though. It speaks to the kind of sacrifice these characters are willing to make for their ideals. Yang's adopted ward, Julian Mintz would later reflect on this as Yang did, that they had to kill so many soldiers in order to achieve peace. A lot of blood are on these characters' hands in order for their to have a negotiation or treatise even, that it easily makes them wonder if all these killings are pointless clashes of egos. In short, it's like Ron Perlman said in Fallout: "War never changes."

But all the accolades and praises aside, I think what matters most in the end is whether if you have any interest in such political content in the first place. My reason for watching it is due to its significance in the anime industry (and also its brilliant writing and unpredictable storylines), but for the general audience like yourself, I think that if you have a skeptical image of anime, probably associating it with the likes of mainstream anime like Naruto or Dragon Ball Z, and if you love Game of Thrones, I think it wouldn't hurt to give the prequel movie a shot, the movie titled "My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars". See if you like what you see, and then be prepared to spend months watching the 110 episode anime (also the two prequel series, each numbering up to 20+ episodes).

In closing, this anime is by no means a flawless masterpiece as it still has some questionable decisions made by the characters, not to mention its over reliance on narration for exposition and its episode previews spoiling every upcoming episode, but I think for what it is, for what it has done in the history of anime, it deserves my full marks for being one of the most unique and well-written anime that ever existed.

Final Score: 5/5

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: sandurt

Guess I'll check it out

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Blog Entries

The F1 Pre show, just watching the race now. And to be honest, Tuscany is a death trap after the 2 massive crashes we've had.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5, The Road to Cincinnati: 2.5/5, Sorry Not Sorry: 2/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: 1.5/5
    The Dad Feelings Limited: 4/5
    Diary Queen: ?/5

I just finished season 7 of B99 can't wait to see what season 8 is up to.

I finished Archer season 4 of my re-watch since I'm so excited for season 11, and I can't wait to get into season 5

Oh, and I'm 48 episodes in Legend Of The Galatic Hereos it's really good so far, so thanks @Borner1990 it's good shit

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Oh, and I'm 48 episodes in Legend Of The Galatic Hereos it's really good so far, so thanks @Borner1990 it's good shit
    I'm glad you like it! You're nearing the end of the first-half of the story arc. I like how it turns out for both Yang and Reinhard in a pretty unconventional way. It's only going to get better from that point.

Who's your favorite character from the anime? What's your favorite episode so far?

Also, I don't know about you, but how I watched the anime was that, I took a break after episode 54 (the halfway point) and watched the two prequel series first since they dealt with events that occurred before the main 110-episode OVA. I find that it's a good balance between knowing the characters enough to appreciate the prequels' retroactive setting and yet not knowing how the OVA would end so that the prequels won't end up feeling anticlimactic. But your choice. I feel that, had I watched the prequels after I've seen the OVA, the ending to the OVA just wouldn't really feel as epic or emotional IMO.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: sandurt

I'm glad you like it! You're nearing the end of the first-half of the story arc. I like how it turns out for both Yang and Reinhard in a pretty unconventional way. It's only going to get better from that point.

Who's your favorite character from the anime? What's your favorite episode so far?

Also, I don't know about you, but how I watched the anime was that, I took a break after episode 54 (the halfway point) and watched the two prequel series first since they dealt with events that occurred before the main 110-episode OVA. I find that it's a good balance between knowing the characters enough to appreciate the prequels' retroactive setting and yet not knowing how the OVA would end so that the prequels won't end up feeling anticlimactic. But your choice. I feel that, had I watched the prequels after I've seen the OVA, the ending to the OVA just wouldn't really feel as epic or emotional IMO.
    Yang and Siegfried are my favorites, and thank you for telling me that I will watch the prequel series.

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Yang and Siegfried are my favorites
    It's a shame what happened to  Kircheis . Be prepared for a lot of characters to repeat a single line in the second-half of the series: "If only  Kircheis  was here." I felt the same way too. I felt that, if  Kircheis  was around, Reinhard wouldn't make some of the dumber decisions he did down the line. His ego got the better of him. Other fans argued differently though, that Reinhard would've made those decisions anyway specifically because of his ego, that he would've ended up fighting with  Kircheis  over such decisions.

Blog Entries

I'm on a rewatch of Community; currently on season two. if anything I'm enjoying it more than the first time around. the humor is really consistent and is totally my kind of humor{meta, for anyone who hasn't seen it}. not exactly looking forward to revisiting season four, but...

38. Thumbs Up To This Post by: sandurt

It's a shame what happened to  Kircheis . Be prepared for a lot of characters to repeat a single line in the second-half of the series: "If only  Kircheis  was here." I felt the same way too. I felt that, if  Kircheis  was around, Reinhard wouldn't make some of the dumber decisions he did down the line. His ego got the better of him. Other fans argued differently though, that Reinhard would've made those decisions anyway specifically because of his ego, that he would've ended up fighting with  Kircheis  over such decisions.
    I would probably agree with the fans from what I've seen the show has such emotional depth

40. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Borner1990

Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post
    I'm on a rewatch of Community; currently on season two. if anything I'm enjoying it more than the first time around. the humor is really consistent and is totally my kind of humor{meta, for anyone who hasn't seen it}. not exactly looking forward to revisiting season four, but...
    Season 4 was horrendous

Thread Information