Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: What's the last TV show you watched?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've always wanted to try it too. I'm just too hooked on John Oliver whenever we get the free HBO trials, as well as Ballers when they gave it to us for a longer period last year (I thought they'd try that again; I heard from my friend that sometimes they give them free HBO every year, pulling it right when the new season of Game of Thrones begins.)

Blog Entries

as far as hbo goes, I really want to eventually give The Sopranos and The Wire a go. heard nothing but great things about both.

speaking of game of thrones, oh my god I can't wait till season 7 premieres. took a few episodes to get into, but damn, it became one of my favorite shows.

Blog Entries

Black Butler
    "His Butler, Able"

So I heard that FUNimation is losing the rights to Season 1, so if I can use different emails to scam them out of free trials, it's time to step on the gas and get through this show. My friends have been begging me to do so anyway (two of my friends are getting married in September, having a Black Butler themed wedding, so it's about time). Therefore, I chose to give this show a try.

Looks pretty interesting so far, not that much to say about it. The idea of the Phantomhive family is pretty interesting, and one of my friends at the chocolate fest said she felt like Ciel Phantomhive around the chocolate and tea area. I definitely would like to see more. I can't really write as lengthy reviews for less episodic shows, especially intro episodes. I'll wait before I give it a rating too.

However, I'll probably be Finnean there. Looks easy to put together, and I see a bit of myself in him.

LAST NIGHT:

Jeopardy, Gotham, Antiques Roadshow and the local news.

Blog Entries

A while back I tried marathoning this when it was still on Netflix, but didn't get very far. Really wish I had continued because it really is an amazing show. A buddy of mine has a couple DVDs that has the last few episodes of season 1 and a few episodes from s2, and I watched the ending to season 1, and like I said, it's amazing. The humor, the action, the drama... I feel like if I had continued on{which I plan to do sometime in the future}, I would have really liked seasons two and three. The best thing is, I barely know anything about this show. I'm pretty bad at spoiling things for myself with TV Shows{even ones I don't watch, for some reason...} but I only know a tiny bit about this show, and I'm keeping it like that. Never had much interest in the show growing up, and whenever it was on Nick every episode started with "Previously on Avatar..." so I would just change channels since I'd have no idea what was going on.

anyway, I figure once I get to watching this show in its entirety, I might want to check out Legend of Korra. is that any good? compared to Avatar or on its own?

Blog Entries

Genius
    "Chapter One"

I know, I should stop taking about educational network narratives, but this was a great way to learn about Einstein's past. It was nice to see he had a lot of anxiety about his family and school. I can kinda relate to that. I know I shouldn't laugh, but his first idea of relativity coming up during sex got a chuckle out of me, and it was sweet seeing him talking about light bonding together with his girlfriend. Like with Mars, though, I will probably write a longer review after finishing the whole series.

Also, plothole alert! The term "piss off" wasn't coined until 1946, but was stated in the late 1800s.

Dish Network has a new channel called BUZZR...it shows game shows more older than what GSN is broadcasting: I like watching the old black and white game shows such as To Tel The Truth because I get to see the sponsor's commercials (last week there was one for Jell-O and it was a recipe for lemon cheescake).

I wish BUZZR showed the Paul Lynde version of Hollywood Squares....I used my remote to scroll, but, unfortunately, no such lick.

Blog Entries

Just saw the first two episodes of the Ben-To anime.... and all I have to say is... what the hell. Seriously, I can't give this a proper review or rating. It probably helps that I was only half paying attention because I was focused more on having fun with my friends (it was just filler for our Labyrinth party)... but... wow.

I just found out that the whole series is streaming on FUNimation and I don't even need to scam another trial for it, so long as I'm willing to put up with ads. (Which I am.)

An exercise show on Z Living called Fitness First Class....my doctor told me I need to lose weight or I'll end up a diabetic like my mom, and I do NOT want to get the disease!

Blog Entries

Started binging through RWBY. (The Black Butler wedding is off - it's a RWBY wedding now.) You know, I should watch more short-form shows like this. Much easier to get through since I'm already almost done with Season 1 (took two days and I basically only watched it in the break room at work).

Short-form episodes do make it difficult to review, so I might just do the entirety of Season 1, and avoid giant-style reviews. Regardless, I think I'm going to cosplay Blake for the wedding.

RWBY is pretty cool. I didn't see much of it, mostly the earlier stuff but I'm glad it got as popular as it did because I supported Monty Oum a lot since his Haloid and Dead Fantasy vids. Can't believe he has been gone for 2 years now.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

I actually saw Volume 3 in its entirety in an Anime Club back in August of last year, but I was only half paying attention. I've always been interested in it though.

I forgot who the groom is going to be at the wedding but the bride is going to be Yang.

Junior Camper Iron Butterfly is Back's Avatar

Twin Peaks (2017) episode 5 Amazing! David Lynch is the greatest.

Blog Entries

Been getting into Broad City recently. Love it so far, 2 epis in.
    Hype to watch Community from the beginning too.

Anybody have any Hulu show recommendations.
    Got a 1 month trial and I gotta make it count
    I

Blog Entries

The Flash (1990 series).

So a couple of days ago, I was at Best Buy and found a DVD set contacting the complete 1990 Flash series at a decent price, and I bought have been binge-watching it. I got to say, considering when the show came out and the limitations of television technology back then, I think it's a pretty good show. Despite being obviously limited in what they could do, I find the show to be a pretty good adaptation that successfully captures the spirit of the Flash, though of course there are some changes here and there (most notably Barry has a brother here called Jay, named after the first Flash in the comics, who in the show is the reason why Barry becomes a superhero). I think what really sells it for me is the acting. A lot of the actors here do a pretty great job in their roles, most notably John Wesley Shipp as the Flash himself, who does a fantastic job in the role. No wonder they brought him back to play Barry's dad and later Jay Garrick on the CW's Flash series. The art design for the backgrounds and buildings in Central City is pretty interesting, as it seems like they were intentionally trying to base it of the style of Gotham City as seen in the Burton movies, and since the show's music was done by the composer of Batman: The Animated Series (Shirley Walker), it just reinforces that feeling. Currently I'm looking forward to when I get to the episode where the Trickster shows up, as played by Mark Hamill.

One weird thing I noticed was that in the pilot episode, Iris West shows up as Barry's girlfriend who breaks up with him but promises to remain close and maybe rekindle their relationship, but by the next episode and in the series proper, Iris is gone off-screen with a quick mention she moved to France. I guess they decided she wasn't important to the show, especially since the writers seemed to like the idea of pairing Barry up with Tina McGee, so she just got dropped when the season actually began. Kind of sucks though, mostly because that probably meant that the show was never going to introduce Wally West, even if it had gone on for a second season.

Also the Flash's costume in the show looks amazing.

Blog Entries

Just started Yuri!!! On Ice. It's strange, I'm not too into ice skating and while it basically took up most of the last segment, It was surprisingly enjoyable. I'll review it later.

Blog Entries

Season 5 of Orange is the New Black is on Netflix. Episode 1 was really good. Episode 2 was really boring tho, almost put me to sleep.

Worked out to Fitness First Class on Z Living Network and watch the local news.

Blog Entries

Thoughts on Broad City??

Blog Entries

Well, what do you know. My provider is giving me free episodes of The Wire until June 30.

The catch? Only the first of each season.

Hey there, handsome OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Family Affair: A Helping Hand 6.5/10

In one of the nine rare episodes where Victor French does not appear, Giles French is the housekeeper instead. Bill is gonna host a massive dinner party, so Giles hires an assistant to help out. But things don't really go as planned...

You know... This is not a bad episode. By any means. There's nothing inherently offensive about it. In the way of Family Affair however, it's one of the more average offerings.
    The story is the standard one for the show, and is ripe for some comedic potential. Myrna Loy is pretty good in the role as a flawed maid, who just wants to do her best but keeps making mistakes. John Williams is doing a respectable job as Mr. (different) French. I was initially sceptical of course since Cabot's French is my favorite character, but he does pretty good for what he's given. He tries to guide Adele, but it doesn't do her much service. Buffy and Jody get a small subplot where they are trying to build a model for school, but can't really do it on their own. So Bill decides to help them.

Notice a connection? Well, both plots are about how it's admirable to help people, but there's a right way and a wrong way of doing it. If you're pushing them too hard to do right, they will get impatient and annoyed with you. If you're helping them in all honesty but end up doing all the work yourself, you're not allowing them to be creative. True that is a good reason, but Jody delivering it was a bit awkward. Bill and Nigel realizing it themselves would have been far more effective.

There are some funny moments spread throughout, like when the scones burn in the oven for example. I really liked Bill's reaction. Adele being so oblivious as well and making frustrating screw-ups all the time was amusing as well, as was some of Nigel's ways of approaching the situation. The letter Bill gets explanation why the model was disapproved make me chuckle a little bit. He really seemed beaten by it.

As for negatives, this really is a story that would've worked better with Sebastian Cabot. His mix between deadpan and energetic delivery often makes for a hefty amount of the show's trademark humor. While John Williams' performance by itself was solid (no, not the composer, there was an actor with that name too), it would have been much funnier with Cabot. The problem is also that his character is not as interestingly impatient as Victor French. I do however really enjoy the final confrontation between him and Adele. That already showed the message the episode was trying to convey, and his facial expressions says about all.

There are better episodes, but it's not a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Just had my party on Friday so...

Descendants 2: It's Going Down! - 5/5
    Descendants - 4.5/5
    Descendants 2 - 4.9/5
    Raven's Home - "Baxter's Back!" - 4/5
    Descendants 2 Live Super Fan After Party - 5/5

Ratings may be inflated due to having my two best friends over, meeting for, while not the first time, it's the first time they've really had a lot of interaction together and they really got along. But that's a story for the Lounge thread.
    Last edited by BlueRibbonCommittee; 07-23-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Currently re-watching my entire That 70s Show boxset - it's never gets old.

BURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Walid View Post

A while back I tried marathoning this when it was still on Netflix, but didn't get very far. Really wish I had continued because it really is an amazing show. A buddy of mine has a couple DVDs that has the last few episodes of season 1 and a few episodes from s2, and I watched the ending to season 1, and like I said, it's amazing. The humor, the action, the drama... I feel like if I had continued on{which I plan to do sometime in the future}, I would have really liked seasons two and three. The best thing is, I barely know anything about this show. I'm pretty bad at spoiling things for myself with TV Shows{even ones I don't watch, for some reason...} but I only know a tiny bit about this show, and I'm keeping it like that. Never had much interest in the show growing up, and whenever it was on Nick every episode started with "Previously on Avatar..." so I would just change channels since I'd have no idea what was going on.

anyway, I figure once I get to watching this show in its entirety, I might want to check out Legend of Korra. is that any good? compared to Avatar or on its own?
    Didn't see this post earlier and I'm probably too late, but whatever; Avatar: The Last Airbender is great and you should definitely check out all three seasons from beginning to end (it starts out good and only gets better, though my fav season has to be the second). Legend Of Korra was very good too, but I didn't find it as good as Avatar and felt kinda choppy and uneven (mainly due to each season having it's own storyline though the series is connected, in contrast to Avatar which had one big overaching plot and a clear beginning and end planned out), however check it out too, but after watching ATLA which is pretty rewarding (and you'll understand a lot of it better as well).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-24-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

All of Westworld Season One. Sadly I accidentally skipped over one episode during my first watch, which made things slightly confusing for me, but I'm eagerly waiting for the next Season.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Igor

Blog Entries

Just saw the first episode of Epix's new show Get Shorty. It's not bad, and it is nice to see Ray Romano in a different role (still would like to finish Men of a Certain Age), but ultimately it doesn't make good use of its running time and I don't think I'll continue it. I normally eat up these stupid romance and movie role plots, but I don't think it can carry a 55-64 minute show, seems fit for something with a shorter running time. I give it a 3/5.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

The latest leaked episode of Game of Thrones

Without spoiling any specific plot details:  I was laughing and cackling like a little kid at the last 30 minutes.  

Blog Entries

Just had an Anime Show and Tell Night with my friends. Ratings only first.

Majin Tantei Nagami Neuro - "Eat" 5/5
    Azumanga Daioh - "Child High School Student / She's a Prodigy / Scary Maybe? / Wildcat Tomo-chan! / The Osakan Gal" 5/5
    Kantai Collection - "Hello! Commander!" 4/5
    Speed Racer - "The Great Plan: Part 1"... Given the campiness, I'm not sure it's fair to assign ratings to this show.
    Cowboy Bebop - "Asteroid Blues" 5/5
    No Game No Life - "Challenger" 4/5

Hope we do this again!

Blog Entries

Anime Night #2!

One Piece - "The Fish-Man Island Will Be Annihilated?! Sharley's Prophecy!" - I skipped ahead almost 400 episodes for this. Rating it is unfair.
    Campione! - "Tale of the Beginning" - 4/5
    Michiko and Hatchin - "Farewell, Cruel Paradise!" - 5/5
    Cowboy Bebop - "Stray Dog Strut" - 5/5
    The Vision of Escaflowne - "Fateful Confession" - 4/5
    Gunslinger Girl - "Fratello (Siblings)" - 5/5
    Monster Musume - "Everyday Life with a Lamia" - 3/5
    One Punch Man OVA - "A Shadow That Snuck Up Too Close" - 5/5
    One Punch Man OVA - "The Pupil Who is an Extremely Poor Talker" - 5/5

Black and white TV game shows on BUZZR (To Tell The Truth, What's My Line and I've Got A Secret)

Watched season 4 episode 1 of Game of Thrones on DVD...it was the one where Arya got her sword, Needle back, Sansa (the stupidest character on the show) is mouring Robb and Catelyn's deaths and Jaime got a gold prosthetic hand.

Thread Information