• 4/5: Fine sacrilegious offering.

1 11.11%
  • 3/5: I tolerated it, I guess.

2 22.22%
  • 2/5: Jesus Christ was this bad!

1 11.11%
  • 1/5: Hail Satan.

3 33.33%

Thread: Rate & Review: Bordertown - MegaChurch (1AXH08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review: Bordertown - MegaChurch (1AXH08)

Bud owns a church and his reverend suggests he recruits Ernento in order to get the money rolling from the Mexican citizens.

Nothing interesting plotwise, but apparently the episode is written by Valentina L. Garza from The Simpsons.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 01-17-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed thread title
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

you also called it BORDERLAND again

also lol @ how you just edit your posts to bark orders at the mods instead of VMin them "can you please change this" or something

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You guys are still wasting your time watching this huh

Blog Entries

OSS did you call it borderland again because you think that's funny

because it's actually annoying and I'm not even watching this shit
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

DAMN IT, NOT AGAIN!

I can explain. When I type in a thread title, other thread titles from the past pop up as suggestions. Therefore, I accidentally typed in Borderland again, not realizing I committed the same mistake. I also think it might be because I keep thinking about the "Bonerland" joke from The Simpsons, confusing myself even more.
    So no @Ryan, I don't think this is funny. It's getting on my fucking nerves, in fact.

Blog Entries

ban oss from ever making an r&r thread again? y/n

Blog Entries

it's not really annoying who cares

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great fred

Blog Entries

well i mean he flounders over the most basic elements of making them almost every time

we need a designated bordertown thread starter imo 

Blog Entries

there's only like three more episodes until you won't have to worry about it anyways

Blog Entries

yeah this show gon die soon. this show didn't even need R&Rs

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

dumb

this show is still on? 1/5

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

good review

I'm sloooooowly warming up to this show.. This ep was as enjoyable as an average FamGuy ep.. which is usually a 3/5 from me.. The Pope joke was my fav.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been seeing an alarming amount of positive feedback for this show following the second episode (Which was somehow even worse than the first one). I'm not sure what it's doing ratings wise but I'll be fucking blown away if this somehow takes off or finds itself a cult following.

Anyway, here's another "Good vs. Bad" bulletpoint review.

Good:
    Cold open with the Pacific Rim fight (Three episodes in and these cold opens are still the best thing the show has to offer. Just make the whole damn show about Bud trying to stop El Coyote in a Road Runner-esue fashion and it'd be fun).
    Sigmund Freud and Carl Sagan bit.
    Ernesto getting ready for church ("What would Jesus do? Errrrrnesto!")
    "Is everyone ready to go to Jesus'?"
    That whole wordplay bit with Judas/Judaism and historical/hysterical (It was stupid, but it's probably the most well crafted joke they've done)
    "If Reverend Fantastic is such a bad guy then how come he's always giving cops money?"
    Ernesto's adorable "Church Jokester" thing (Ah, Ernesto, you're much too likable a character for this show, maybe you can move to Quahog when your show inevitably dies).
    Daniel's Den for Delinquents
    Bud kicking out the breast feeding woman
    *Devil appears* "HEY! IT'S THE GUY WHO GIVES ME AN ERECTION WHENEVER I SEE A HOT MAN!"
    "Let us proclaim our shame at being born"/"We suck"
    "The word of Gid!"/"That's God, sir"/"God! Right, right, I can never remember that guy's name"
    The fucking fake God thing at the MegaChurch being the Wizard of Oz.
    "Hola Bud! Hola Bud's bud!"
    "I was just looking into your home for signs of the lord's presence, and indeed he has left remnants of his beard in the middle of your wife!"
    J.C. being an insufferable religious douchebag as a kid
    Ernesto being able to guess specific stuff based on facial expression
    The music box with the landscaper in it
    Reverend Fantastic telling the story of The Dark Knight with Jesus in place of Joker
    "Ernesto is impressed-o!"
    "God only made you 'cause he fell asleep making a horse"
    The guys in the back watching Ernesto give his money along with the live-action footage
    The jetpack
    "I'm gonna seat single people next to each other so they fall in love"
    The narrator violating the rules of narrating by moving the plot forward
    Hispandering
    Ernesto's "Try your hand at" bit
    "You're imagining this picture, Bud"
    The ending scene at the fast food place.

Bad:
    Saw joke (Also, it's tiring that they keep going to that shit Bill Maher parody show every time)
    The dogs stealing Bud's clothes
    Ernesto using Pepito like a soccer ball (Plus "Goooooooooooal!" Sigh )
    The gay uncle
    Bud getting his name wrong
    Steve's wife having a Potato Head mouth.
    The little girl having the word "Adopted" on her shirt. Jesus Christ, that's the second time they've done that kind of joke (There was also the "Lesbian" shirt woman in the pilot) and it's without a doubt one of the most lazy attempts at exposition for the sake of a joke I've ever seen in my life.
    J.C. jumping out of a window
    Orgy bit
    Bill Maher thought bubble thing
    The bit about the cousins' names
    That bit with Bud not speaking English well or whatever that was
    Shrooms line
    That fart smelling guy
    The dude from Creed singing
    That anti-bullying song
    That uh... mentally disabled kid? Was that what the joke was there? Who knocked out J.C.
    "Behind all that hurt is a hurt behind"
    "Anti-Mexiety medicine"/"XanMex" (Holy shit that's the most forced joke I've heard in a while)
    "My precious" (Ugh)
    "He's always giving her fist kisses on her cheek bones"
    "You are by far the best thing my semen has turned into"
    The dog driving a car bit
    The repo guy taking the nuns
    The twist that J.C. was molested by a scientist rather than a priest
    The Earl bit
    The jacket licking Bud like a dog
    The Pope stuff
    Glass floor girl's school

The J.C./Becky stuff was actually not too bad to start out with. I like that they were able to make the typical Seth show religion bashing look stupid and petty when it comes to shitting on individual people who do find some form of good in the whole thing through helping people without shoving it down everyone's throat while at the same time showing the blatant corruption that plagues organised religion in the form of those flashy con-artist reverends who treat the whole thing like a performance art piece rather than an opportunity for people to come together as a community and find solace in their shared faith. Once the molestation end of things kicked in though it went downhill pretty quickly. The Bud/Ernesto story was fine aside from the dumb conclusion with the Pope, not a lot to say about it other than that since the corrupt reverend was pretty much the main bulk of it anyway.

Better attempt than the first two episodes, admittedly had more of a Family Guy feel to it this time, but still far from stellar programming. 3/5
    How to remaster

I couldn't get past Becky, even while drunk. somebody kill it

Blog Entries

There were actually more than a couple good jokes in this episode. I usually don't really care for the opening bits unlike Shaun, but this one where Bud went so far he built a deporter robot was actually funny.
    There were several clever pokes at religion throughout. Really liked the bit with J.C. as a kid who kept calling everyone sinners, even the priest in the confession booth who shot himself, and the depressing Mexican ceremony where everyone were told they sucked. The priest himself was also pretty funny and a tolerable John Viener voice. His excuse for spying in Bud's voice being that he wanted to see if "the Lord's presence" was there highly amused me. Bud had quite a big role in this episode, and he was charming as usual. He by far has the best voice, and is always so likeable. He's like a Mexican Ned Flanders, always happy and willing to help. His catchphrase "Hola, Bud!" is getting a little repetitive though, so I wish they would tone that down. The Apollo 13 reference was probably one of the most Family Guy-esque parts of the episode, and I thought it was pretty funny. The quality of the jokes in general is much higher than the first two episodes, and the highlights that occur are better. The plot was all right too, allowed for some nice satire. I had some issues with the subplot though, which I'll get to.

I suppose my biggest problem would be that they try too hard to have as many jokes as possible. It results in the plot feeling very sidelined, which I know Family Guy has been accused of, but it's a lot more evident here. There are too many jokes, which results in plenty of them seriously falling flat and a couple ones also not hitting the punchline as well as they could have. Becky and Gert are also awful as usual, I really... really... REALLY can't stand them! Becky had one good joke in the entire episode, aside of that she was marvelously painful. Janice continues being so bland it hurts. And J.C. has gone from a mediocre character to annoying as hell. He just keeps ranting and ranting and ranting... TRY SHUTTING THE HELL UP FOR ONCE! He is by the way who had a role in the subplot. And while it had potential (his hatred of religion stemming from being molested as a child), their idea of utilizing it was having Becky onscreen all the time going "Why do you hate religion??????", which I couldn't stand. The ending to it made me laugh, but I still felt unsatisfied as a whole.
    Close to decent, which I can't believe I just said. Perhaps, perhaps this will develop into a good show. 6.5/10

Thread Information