Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Disenchantment: Matt Groening's new Netflix cartoon

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I just meant it's unusual and delightful to see a finale with cliffhangers like a regular tv show instead of being self-contained and interchangeable like simpsons/futurama

2x01: The Disenchantress
    Kinda disappointing. I suppose the most intriguing mystery of the first season was “what’s up with Luci’s masters?” and it turns out it’s not that interesting. I’m reminded of 24 where one season ends with this guy we assume is this cool badass mastermind and then in the next season he’s just a chump who gets killed instantly for reasons I’ve forgotten. I want to like Cloyd (A+ name) but a lot of the jokes just aren’t landing (isn’t it funny that he wears dresses?) and he comes off as a much weaker version of the dad from The Critic. Dagmar has become devoid of all personality now that she’s been revealed as a villain, which is disappointing given her brash personality last episode. The scene where she reveals herself to Bean (evidently she thought the gaslighting plot was rote too) could’ve been staged better, why underplay this pivotal moment? Bean’s inner turmoil about being a murderer and trying to justify it to herself is confusing because… is she? Maybe I’ve forgotten something but I think most of the people she’s “killed” came back. Do the partygoers count? I liked the glimpse into Bean’s family history (“Luckily they were all ducks”), the tragic life of Jerry, Luci making his own sound effects, and Gomer. Beautiful backgrounds as always and I like how the Groening eyeballs make the pig-monster-things look cute. I also like how Vip and Vap don’t really care for Zog and that their existence is left unexplained… I wish there was more weirdness like that.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

season 2 is ok i guess
    "part 2" i mean :rolling_eyes:

Blog Entries

2x02 Stairway to Hell

Fantastic episode! I love their depiction of God and especially Phil LaMarr’s reading of “I love you more than you can ever know.” I love Hell and how the processing center with the conveyer belt and machinery feels like an old time cartoon. I love the gag where Zog and Merkener cut the eye holes in the tapestry in the wrong places and then another twist where Merkener is on top and Zog is on bottom. Everything in this episode is just so delightful. Oh yeah, I guess Bean did murder Hansel and Gretel, I forgot about that.

Second half of the season has some interesting concepts I am glad they introduced but it does feel a little weaker than the first part in a way I can't quite place yet. I think I'll just rewatch the entire thing and see how I feel after that. Much like in the first part, I want to see the rest of this story they're trying to tell about Bean. I'm fascinated they actually seem to have a story to tell vs just jumping from ep to ep doing literally anything to keep it going. I'm really not bothered by things like reusing Futurama character designs/voices for this world. It just makes the world feel familiar and comfortable for me as a Groening property but in a fantasy setting. I almost appreciate it, whereas other people really seem to hate it. Oh well. The world in the show is pretty much a JRPG world going from your mostly traditionally medieval castle and village with its magic based system and then venturing out into the world and encountering  steampunk setting where science is implemented . The episode in Hell was pretty neat as far as showing us what it looks like and how it works, probably was my favorite one. Kinda hoping we get a showdown with  Dagmar and Oona who kicks major ass apparently . Anyway, I will be watching the next season whenever they decide to make it.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

The second episode was indeed the highlight of this second part. Almost all of God's moments were comedy gold (and I like the coherence with Groening's universe; I mean, God still has five fingers here, aha) and the depiction of Hell was neat as well.

Overall, I enjoyed the second part of this season, but I think it shares a lot of its qualities and problems with the first part. I still like how this show tries to have a nice balance between comedy and drama and how it tries to be different of the two other Groening shows, but the focus isn't always on point. The filler part is still here but it did add something to the characters and I appreciate that. The character development by the way is very nice and I want to know where they'll go with Bean too. And the universe has a nice expansion. Disenchantment remains a pretty solid series in my opinion.

When it comes to the second part of the season, I've only seen the first two episodes so far and I must say it's a good continuation of the story and I've yet to find it any weaker than the first part but rather stronger in a sense and more interesting.

'The Disenchantress' was a fine opener and a good episode. The writing here and there could've probably been a bit sharpher but I still really liked the direction it went and there were some good jokes and character moments. Really like the Zog subplot and the bits with Vip and Vap were a highlight & I like how Jerry got surprisingly much character development (I'd say he was the standout part as he got some of the best moments and jokes; liked his interactions with Bean and how he became the unsung hero of the ep; I hope there'll be more with him). The parts with Dagmar and her manipulating Bean and were decent but I don't find her an especially interesting character but that might change (however her siblings Becky & Cloyd continue to be somewhat amusing characters and elevates her a little.).

'Stairway To Hell' was an even better one, maybe even great. The scene in heaven with God and Elfo were really funny (the God character behaved much like in The Simpsons and got some good lines) and how they portrayed Hell with Bean and Elfo going there to save Elfo's soul (with the harebrained plan of meeting up with him there, which is why he had to be sent there by God) was funny and really funky with all the bizarre and creative stuff (also nice animation). Luci got a lot of the best moments here with his trickery and the ending was a nice one. Also, the continuing plot with Zog and now Merkimer the pig continue to be enjoyable, especially with the former going all out defending the latter whom he's started to warm up to while hiding from the invading berserker creatures (character developments all around).

It feels like it can only get better from here. I've always liked how this show does it's characters and it's story, often letting it come first before the humor, and that makes it stand apart from both Futurama and The Simpsons, yet still having that kind of absurdist and kinda crass and mean humor that I feel is a good fit for this show (even if it rarely delivers big laughs, though it's more of a dramedy after all).

Blog Entries

2x03: The Very Thing
    Alright for a table-setting, getting back to status quo and setting up stuff for later episode. I thought mermaid island was going to be a bigger deal given the tease at the end of last season. Gotta wonder if there was any discussion about cutting the “Zog is a scuzzy guy who gets secret massages” joke. It’s great to see Oona coming into her own as a character, now that’s she’s not a mysterious red herring she seems cool and I think the new direction for her is interesting. Two things I didn’t notice until this episode is how the color palette changes when we’re in Elfwood and the jewels (?) on Merkener’s crown resemble Jughead’s cap. Thank lamarr the elves were able to bring back all those beloved Disenchantment side characters, like… that guy, and whatsisname.

2x04: The Lonely Heart is a Hunter
    Zog and Ursula’s relationship is so wonderfully weird. They get a lot of good jokes out of it, (“I’m sorry, I’m kinda new around here. Are you a giant squirrel?”) as well as some poignancy. I feel like this is Disenchantment finding its niche? Also I guess I missed the part last episode where the elves would be living in Dreamland now. Based on this episode I’m not looking forward to more Kissy… like, ok, I think there’s a decent number of well-written women on the show, and the elves having one personality/gimmick that’s also their name is a good joke, and I can see that she’s a take on the girl Smurf buuuut the world could do with less female characters whose sole personality is “slut.” I wish I cared about this riveting Bean looking at arrows c-plot.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

This was the first time I really saw them but I think Vip and Vap are based on Akbar and Jeff.

Blog Entries

2x05: Our Bodies, Our Elves
    Pretty entertaining episode with lots of good jokes: the Wash Day sequence, “No, I know how death works,” “I didn’t sign up for this when I signed up for this!,” Bean's realization the ogres already have fire, Wade’s fate. Every single piece of media does their own take-off on the Jaws scene but Wade with the cat made me laugh for a minute. Not much else to say. It’s kind of weird when the show is like “hey, remember this guy from a previous episode?” because I rarely do. It’s completely inconsequential but I wonder if this un-memorability is a problem. This is the 15th episode, there’s like 20 characters at most, I’ve been staggering out these episodes instead of binge watching them in one go, I’ve been taking notes and writing reviews and it’s still like… oh yeah, I think I vaguely remember Elfo stabbing that ogre in the eyes at some point? “I’m glad I stole your college fund” is a weird, abrupt way to end the episode, it feels like something got cut or a first draft joke never got replaced.

2x06: The Dreamland Job
    A good solid episode, really enjoyed Grifto and the other circus creatures. That said I have this increasing feeling that the writing staff is divided between people who just want to play around and do goofy gags about elves (which is the show's strongpoint), and people who want to do epic intricately plotted story arcs with music boxes, and so we end up with “gag” episodes and “plot” episodes. What’s up with the dread pirate elf from episode 3? I’m guessing we’ll find out in episode 8 when it’s time for more “plot” episodes. I wish they were better at combining the two. I liked the opening of Bean in a drunken stupor, just an interesting bit of animation and play with angles that I don’t see in something like modern Simpsons. This show probably has the biggest animation budget of any of Netflix’s original content (I keep seeing the same commercial for Big Mouth which looks extremely wretched) and it’s nice to see little touches like that. The callback to the bumbum joke from last year – which I guess is the closest thing the show has to a breakout joke - fell flat and they probably shouldn’t have attempted it. I wonder if this show will ever get its own “shut up and take my money” type joke that goes viral.

Have seen two more and here's my thoughts.

'The Very Thing' was a good ep. Nothing spectacular or anything but didn't need to be as it's definitely one of those tie-up episodes at the end of an arc (of sorts). Good character stuff with Elfo being back and disappointed in Bean for saving the queen instead of him, Oona (whom got a lot of of the best scenes here; like her as a pirate for one thing) and Zog & the pirate elf (Leavo I think it was) and how the whole issue with the citizens of Dreamland have turned to stone is solved with the help of the elves. I had wondered about prince Derek so nice that he got addressed here & I really like how Zog and Oona's divorce was handled quite healthily and in an good fashion without that stereotypical "divorced couple venomously continue to hate the other" stuff (which was a surprise, especially in an parodic comedy show like this).

'The Lonely Heart Is A Hunter' surprised me being a really good Zog-centric episode with him being lonely and finding new love during an hunting trip into the woods in an bear selkie named Ursula whom he brings back with him to the castle. I really liked how they humanized him a lot here and made him feel like more than this goofy, angry and belligerent king & Ursula was an likeable, interesting character; the ending where he lets her return to her forest home was touching (even if the joke about her running off during his speech was a little predictable). The subplot about Bean following the carved arrows after being told about the music box on her mantle by her mother in dreams was decent & the other subplot with the Elfo-Luci-Kissy love triangle was okay (but was the most disposable one; at least we now knew a lot of the elves decided to stay in the town).

I finally got around to watching the second half of season one, finishing it today. The series is still fun for me, although it hasn't found itself outside of occasionally funny and slightly good storytelling. It borders on mediocrity and decent, but I'm still happy to see the next season. 3/5

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    It’s kind of weird when the show is like “hey, remember this guy from a previous episode?” because I rarely do. It’s completely inconsequential but I wonder if this un-memorability is a problem.
    feel exactly the same about this show. i watch it and i enjoy it, but give it so little thought other than that that i can barely remember even major points. just now i had to think back for a minute to remember where the finale left off

Blog Entries

2x07: Love’s Slimy Embrace
    Good episode that finally shows how Bean and Derek relate to each other which seems like it should’ve been done earlier. The flashbacks were neat (I like teenage Bean’s design) although I’m confused about how old Derek is supposed to be, I thought the age gap was bigger. Derek seemed less irritating than last season, and this episode does a lot to make me like him although I think he needs a better niche than just “sad boy.” Elfo playing with Derek and reflecting on their similarities was cute, I love how well they work together (“He alphabetized my stuffed animals”). It’s interesting to see characters who don’t usually interact with each other, also reflected by Zog and Luci in a meh subplot. The underwater scenes looked fantastic. Another weirdly abrupt ending of just the three characters walking. Good lines: “Not all of us can find an elf who wants to have sex with them,” “You you you you you?”, “I discovered this door when I was looking for hidden doors,” “I try to get an hour of weeping in.” Just tried to google the last one because I think I butchered it and got a spoiler, fuck.

2x08: In Her Own Write
    A fine episode, not bad but not a stand-out either. Guess I was wrong about the dread pirate elf coming back in this episode, seems weird to keep delaying that plot. I like the joke with the birds flying into the bell, the intriguing tidbit of lore that “something about this castle makes dreams more powerful,” and Luci acting as a literal writer’s demon. That said, writers writing about writers and the power of writing seems self-indulgent, Bean finding a supportive group is a bit too “you go girl” for my taste and it’s also the second time in about ten episodes where Zog watches a play about himself without realizing it. One thing I like about this show is all the jokes about how terrible everyone has it and the abject horror that lies just beyond the edges of the frame, which seem a little more pronounced this episode: “I’ve never been permitted to sit down for this long,” the dead messenger on the ground, nobody in the town can read, the guillotine victim rolling past. I wonder if that should be considered a Bill Oakley trademark; I’m reminded of the professor Kevin tries to get a recommendation from in Mission Hill who’s implied to be a Strangelove-like would-be war criminal or the deleted scene from “The War of Lisa Simpson” about Jean-Baptiste Massacre and “his decisive victory over the children of Provence.” Also I noticed the church has a stained-glass squid which I’m noting here in case it becomes foreshadowing.

Blog Entries

2x09 The Electric Princess
    Neck-and-neck with “Stairway to Hell” as my favorite episode of the season so far. Really liked the elf restaurant (low chair and high chair, “don’t fill up on candy”), the sociopathic bureaucracy, and the characters reacting to Sky Gunderson’s technology (although Bean repeating “stience” got old super fast). What really takes this episode over the top is Steam Land, which was an absolute visual delight, very cool and atmospheric. This opens the world up to so much possibility beyond castle-and-sword-type fantasy. Didn’t care much for Luci and Elfo’s subplot; I really liked the visual of Luci curled up like a cat, but they should’ve just kept the focus on Bean the whole time. Feel like Sky’s betrayal would’ve been stronger if he’d had a personality beyond being kind of a dick. The possibility Zog might die is interesting, if this wasn’t a serialized show I’d be 100% sure it’ll be a fakeout but now I’m not so confident. It would get pretty annoying if every season ends with a main character’s death though. Maybe Elfo’s resurrection was to lull us into false security?? Great ending music. Best line: “Dad! Hi. Your life is in danger!”

Watched 'Our Bodies, Our Elves' the other day and it was an enjoyable little filler-type story with a little bit of progression with the overarching story (maybe we finally are gonna learn who Elfo's mother is?). Good plot about the elves in the elf quarters getting seriously sick from the leftover water from Dreamland's national "Wash Day" (which in itself had a funny execution; why does everyone need to be naked?) and are in need of a cure in the form of some fruit from the land of the ogres. A lot of good of good concepts and jokes here (like the Wade guy who takes it upon himself to find the berries and his 'Jaws' intro moment and hidden truth, the bits with Elfo's father & a lot of the ogre stuff). Didn't think it would be much but wound up liking it a lot. It had a lot of good stuff for sort of an middle episode and got better throughout.

Though, the ending felt really abrupt as previously said. I also noticed that the episode was 2-3 minutes shorter than the previous ones so did a lot of stuff get cut out of this one?

Loved the Fry, Bender and Professor cameo. ��

Taking some time with this show due to watching the new season gradually. These are the next few ones I've seen since the last time I posted.

'The Dreamland Job' was a really good one, a little better than the previous episode. I liked the heist plot about raiding the castle's treasury to give all the elves their money back & how Bean & company enlist the help of this elf circus group to pull it off. The moments with Zog and the circus acts were good and the plot twist about the circus elves was well executed. The subplot about Luci taking over the tavern and running it was pretty fun and how it tied into the climax with the twist inclyding him seemingly helping the traitorous bad guys getting away was great, if a little predictable (showing he's not all too evil, just like Bender). Fun episode.

'Love's Slimy Embrace' was not as good as the abeformentioned but still nice. Good to have an episode where Derek played a big part and had an little arc of his own, with being lonely and feeling left out and discarded by the bitter Bean and her friends. Him finding a friend in the one-eyed octopus was a nice story and I enjoyed how Elfo felt bad for the kid and stuck with him, playing around and having a good time. The subplot of Zog getting envious of the visiting king's gout and deciding to get it too was decent & Derek getting dragged off by the octopus led to a nice climax with the gang coming to save him, but the end felt cut short. Nice one

(Also, despite her explanation making sense, I think Bean came off as too much an asshole toward Derek with her hatred; sure he got favored as the heir to the kingdom and got to swordfight and ride horses while she wasn't as lucky, but really, she eventually did too, self-learned but still, and is great at both while he isn't so why continue to be a bitter jerkass about it and wanting him dead?)

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The Dreamland Job is probably my favorite episode of the show so far along with Faster, Princess! Kill! Kill. And it's not a curiosity that both of them are at the middle of their respectives seasons. Because the estructures of both of them include detached episodes at the middle of the seasons, meanwhile the stronger lapses of continuity are at the start/end of them. The arc story is more developed in the first and last episodes, and then they forgot a bit it at least between the fourth and seventh episodes narrating more independent stories, which is a success in my opinion, because it strengthen my interest in the show.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line: 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 4/5 / Hail to the Teeth: TBA

Well, that took a while but I've finally watched the last three episodes. On to my brief thoughts on each one (with unmarked spoilers, naturally).

'In Her Own Write' was a decent little episode. Not great or anything but enjoyable. I'm a sucker for these episodes in any show where a character becomes a writer and this plot with Bean taking up the pen and struggling with writing and ending up with a script for a play based on her royal life for the theatre was a good one. The theater aspect itself was enjoyable and the end result with Zog being late to realize he's viewing a crappy play based on himself and his family was pretty amusing, but the strongest aspect was the subplot about Bean befriending the mop girl (forgot her name, but she was nicely developed) and spending time at this sort of stand-up looking tavern (where Zog watches her in the end). An good, simple episode with nice character development.

'The Electric Princess' was quite good, though it felt a little fast paced and rushed and like it tried fitting in so many things in it's runtime and sort of ended up feeling like it jumped from this to that. That aside, I really liked the whole aspect of this steampunk inventor showing up in his airship (which got shot down, mistaken for a dragon) and Bean escaping with him to his steampunk world; I enjoyed the medieval fantasy-steampunk culture clash (the designs for the steampunk world was great), the plot and action was good and I like how they are seemingly setting up some sort of steampunk invasion. The subplot of Elfo and Luci sharing apartment was pointless but had some amusing moments. That shocker of a cliffhanger ending with Zog's incident (accidentally getting shot by Bean, wielding the steampunk guy's gun) was solid. Very good one.

'Tiabeanie Falls' was another very nice episode, following up the previous one. This one had a lot of interesting stuff, like Bean ending up imprisoned and on trial for shooting Zog and being assumed to be the rumored assassin (and no one listening to her), Zog lying slowly dying in bed because of the bullet wound that Sorcerio is too incompetent to understand (all the digs at how crappy medieval medicine is was good) & Derek being instated as the new King as part of a coup by Oddval and the Arch-Druidess to be used as a pawn (he was interesting in this one, sort of flip-flopping between being thoughtful and conflicted & being an incompetent tyrant of sort who want wars and such and jumps to wrong conclusions just like the others; he felt both likeable and unlikeable at the same time, but I don't blame him not treating Bean well due to her previous mistreatment of him since childhood, though still good that he still feels uneasy even in the last scene).

The trial sequence was really strong and the bits with Zog was nice (like him giving good advice to his son, yet still not coming through to the boy, it seems). All leading up to the end was pretty good, with Stan the executioner switching sides and helping Bean, Elfo and Luci escape, the three of them going to see Zog and Bean taking out the bullet from his wound with a knife before he dies of it but being walked in on by Derek, Oddval and the others who think she's killing him, ending up to be burned at the stake as expected due to the court verdict and Derek calling them out as being guilty (Biggest question is: Did Bean get the bullet out? It cut away as it was coming out and a few seconds afterwards the others came in so I dunno. As Zog walked out on the balcony afterwards I suppose it was and it means he's getting better but maybe it's still in? Pretty confusing).

The end was suitably dramatic with the trio about to be engulfed by flames but the ground collapsing, sending them into some sort of underground cavern populated by a whole group of subterranean elves with glowing eyes and Queen Dagmar (what a twist) showing up as the trio's savior, ending on maybe an even bigger cliffhanger than that of the last season (as things look really bad this time). It was a surprising end and technically well done but I felt like an weird place to end (and some of the story decisions feel kinda off, if not even baffling of sorts; like, why is Oddval suddenly a villain? That came out of left field). and I hope there won't be another year to wait for the continuation, but I wouldn't be surprised if there will.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-10-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Thread Information