Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Disenchantment: Matt Groening's new Netflix cartoon

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    Animated shows don't come to home media in America from Netflix. I'm hoping they make an exception with Disenchantment as I love commentaries.
    as a post above you said Orange Is The New Black and Stranger Things came to DVD and Blu-ray in the states there might have been others. I hope it comes to Blu-ray I would buy it for the commentaries alone!

I said animated shows

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

1x03 The Princess of Darkness
    A good, solid episode. The main trio has really grown on me. I like the scene where they’re huddling in Bean’s shirt, the actors have good chemistry together. The hoodlum characters and the bit with the exorcist and the other demons were all pretty great too. I thought it was a bit much to have Bean accidentally drown a lady (I didn’t catch that she’s later shown alive until I listened to the What A Cartoon podcast). The 711 sign gag is kinda stupid yet overly clever. The police lighting a candle to make a siren is a cute little gag, but having everyone pretend like they’re talking on walkie talkies or whatever is a bit much. Artwise, the backgrounds are still fantastic; there's a nice detailed shot of Dreamland from afar that's only on screen for 2 seconds. Also there’s a lot of “front-facing” Bean in this episode and I feel stupid for not realizing until now that Luci has no frontal pose, he’s purely flat like Mr. Game & Watch.

1x04 Castle Party Massacre
    So far I’ve like the changing opening sequence with glimpses of settings that occur in the episode and it’s disappointing that this one spoils that gag with the donkey in the fountain. I hope that doesn't continue. Speaking of which, I like the jaunty title tune and I wish there was more lively music like that in the actual episodes. I noticed the episode descriptions have been mentioning Sorcerious and Odval and I wondered if those names had actually been uttered in the show to this point and, as if the show heard me, their names are stated like five times in the episode. Curious about the stepbrother who has yet to speak, he seems to be the only remaining secondary character without a real introduction. The story was good. The sequence of Bean asking various guys to dance was fantastic at showing her vulnerability, a testament to the writing, directing, and voice acing. I’m totally emotionally invested in her character now; previously I just kinda saw her as a brat. The spa subplot… sure is a subplot. Standout jokes: the guy in the window talking about setting down rules for the world, Zog’s sitcommish yell when he discovers the bodies in the fireplace.

1x05 Faster, Princess! Kill! Kill!
    I love Bunty and her executioner husband Stan, some solid jokes with those two. The Hansel and Gretel stuff is alright but it implies all fairy tales are real and my concern is thatif the show leans too hard into that it's just going to be, like, an edgier Shrek. The cotton candy looked really bad. I complain about Tress MacNeille a lot but I love her crazy old witch laugh.

1x06 Swamp and Circumstance
    This episode starts out with some really crummy animation of people walking that continues throughout. I don't know if I just didn't notice before or because I watched it on a different TV with that motion smoothing shit or what. Then there's that "wheat/what" conversation ... not a great start! I was so curious about the stepbrother and it's just Tress Macneille doing her usual boy voice, what a letdown. Dankmire was pretty disappointing. They've done a number of "weird other species" jokes with Oona so I feel like Dankmire society should have been a lot weirder and interesting. Instead, it's just... they're boring, formal, like mud, and that seems to be it. Also, "Muddruckers?" Seriously?? And what I assume is a Deliverance reference in 2018? Two jokes I did like: Derek's toast and "I was just giving orders!" Also, Chaz was also the spa guy.. maybe they should give this guy a character trait beyond "vaguely creepy" if he's going to be appearing a lot. Worst episode so far.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

https://twitter.com/disenchantment/s...79348109729792

Looks like we'll have three more seasons of Disenchantment everyone !

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

That is great news. Hoping the next season won't be too far away.

Oh, and I liked that Dankmire episode, btw. Always loved some good world building and I think that this one was interesting (visually their society is heavily influenced by ancient China but they have eastern european-like accents which I think was an interesting touch as it makes them a little more colorful). The show hasn't been great at world building thus far but seeing how things developed with the last three episodes I think there will be a lot more of that in the near future.

On a related note, did they retcon the starting conflict between Dreamland and Dankmire? In the episode it all goes to crap and Dankmire declared war on their neighbor kingdom, but in one of the last episodes Oddval (I think) said that they couldn't risk starting a war with Dankmire when the issue of two queens arose and it was suggested they got rid of Oona. Thought that was a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    That is great news. Hoping the next season won't be too far away.

Oh, and I liked that Dankmire episode, btw. Always loved some good world building and I think that this one was interesting (visually their society is heavily influenced by ancient China but they have eastern european-like accents which I think was an interesting touch as it makes them a little more colorful). The show hasn't been great at world building thus far but seeing how things developed with the last three episodes I think there will be a lot more of that in the near future.

On a related note, did they retcon the starting conflict between Dreamland and Dankmire? In the episode it all goes to crap and Dankmire declared war on their neighbor kingdom, but in one of the last episodes Oddval (I think) said that they couldn't risk starting a war with Dankmire when the issue of two queens arose and it was suggested they got rid of Oona. Thought that was a bit odd.
    I'm glad you noticed. I was wondering about this too. "Swamp and Circumstance" (1DNT03) was supposed to be the third episode, but ended up being pushed back to episode 6. I'm not sure if that's a Netflix problem or can be blamed on the part of the creators.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Either that or the creators asked for Netflix to treat them like fox for old times sake

Blog Entries

1x07 Love’s Tender Rampage
    This episode mostly sucks. I don’t dislike Elfo but man oh man, listening to him constantly lying is just not entertaining. His voice is too annoying, jokes riffing on the “my girlfriend who lives in Canada” trope are hacky as hell, and it feels like the show's just going through the motions. It's also a bit insulting for us to have to assume Bean is dumb enough to believe him for the story to work (it’s explained as an effect of the well-animated drug trip, but still) and I feel her plan at the end (which hinges entirely on everybody taking a deep breath at the same time) could've been written less flimsily. Meriken pretending to be sad is funny, though it feels like I missed an episode where they established he’s still around. I really like the concept of Tess having a magic crystal ball for an eye, I hope they keep her around. Some other stuff I liked: the trio being thrown in the plague pit, the “going on a mission” song, the herald guy who is becoming my favorite character.

1x08 The Limits of Immorality
    This episode is fantastic, and it’s really clarified my thinking about the series as a whole. This is more in line with what I was expecting from this show: going on quests, exploring new lands, an emphasis on the show's lore, that kind of thing. Prior episodes have generally just been sitcom plots with a medieval twist and while they’re funny, in hindsight I think that’s why I’ve found the show somewhat lacking. Now this episode comes along and says “ok, well here’s what this show could be” and my interest has been reinvigorated. I think serialization is overrated but I do like the episode’s heavy reliance on continuity and that there’s been an overarching plot going on without me fully realizing it (ah, so that’s why they’re still drawing Elfo’s blood). It’s much funnier than Futurama’s “The Why of Fry” which is similarly lore-heavy but mostly an infodump with an occasional wisecrack from Fry. The opening is quite beautiful, ruined by an establishing shot of the town with background characters not moving or making any noise. Whenever the Simpsons are outside you can usually hear birds chirping and stuff; is foley an unaffordable luxury for Netflix? I’m glad that the witch’s sister and Big Jo are both still alive (isn't anybody in this dad-gummed cemetery dead?!) because it’s too early in the show to be killing off its few side characters and I didn’t care for the lazy cruel ending of “Faster Princess Kill Kill.” Good jokes: “rest of newt,” “As a friend and lover,” “piping hot suckhole,” the single trap with two parts (feels Pythonesque), “Find him, and it, and them! And maybe on the way, yourselves,” Sorcerio looking quite comfy in the griffin’s arms.

Thread Information