Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Disenchantment: Matt Groening's new Netflix cartoon

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Interesting, they got most of the cast from Futurama. I'll give it a watch.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Genuinely have high hopes for this. Groening's pedigree is pretty amazing.

Blog Entries

hope we can get some images to see how it looks soon. also we can prolly change the thread title now that we have a name.

Eating my words now. With a new show under their belts, it'll be hard to zombify it within one season, so I'm excited to give Disenchantment a shot.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It sounds interesting and promising so I think I'll check it out. I hope it'll have pretty much the same style and feel as Futurama and/or The Simpsons and doesn't turn into something dark and edgy like Family Guy.

I found out what the show will be. It's call Disenchantment and it is an adult fantasy. Sounds real good.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Where are people learning about the Futurama voice actors?
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Press release: https://media.netflix.com/en/press-r...-matt-groening

The series will feature the voice talents of Abbi Jacobson (“Bean”), Nat Faxon (“Elfo”) and Eric Andre (“Luci”), along with John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding, and Lucy Montgomery. Animation is being done by Rough Draft Studios (Futurama).
    Not really a fan of medieval fantasy lord of the rings type stuff but naturally I'll watch it

After reading what it'll be about, I'm looking forward to it. I'm glad it's not another family comedy but it follows Futurama in a differant genre and that is cool.

Blog Entries

Always looking for new stuff to watch and this sounds genuinely interesting. Looking forward to it.

Blog Entries

I like how Matt gives us something different each time. This has definitely piqued my interest.

Blog Entries

sorry to be the @Negative Ned here but even though groening has two legendary shows under his belt, it's not like he was that influential in the day-to-day production of either show. like yea I'll probably see a couple eps but expecting it to be "another groening masterpiece!!" as if he was solely responsible for either simps or futurama might be aiming too high.

Blog Entries

I think matt's really good at assembling a solid team he knows can make a great show, only problem is they never know when to quit. if this ends up being great expect it to run 4 years too long. but yes, matt himself doesn't seem to do much, maybe that can change here though?

With some of the left over cast from Futurama and a whole new cast, this sounds real good.

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peyrin View Post
    sorry to be the @Negative Ned here but even though groening has two legendary shows under his belt, it's not like he was that influential in the day-to-day production of either show. like yea I'll probably see a couple eps but expecting it to be "another groening masterpiece!!" as if he was solely responsible for either simps or futurama might be aiming too high.
    this was my initial take too but josh weinstein is onboard so i got excited again

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

that's quite exciting, david x cohen too!

Blog Entries

Oh wow this is spectacular news! I will definitely be giving the entire two seasons an honest shot as I'm sure it could be really good and I trust Groening, Weinstein, Oakley, Cohen, and the rest of their writing team to turn this into something special. Yes, The Simpsons and Futurama's critical and commercial success is largely owed to the collaborative effort of multiple minds, but that's exactly why I'm optimistic because Groening ultimately knows how to jumpstart a production and get that formula rolling by drawing high energy and talent. Matt alone is passionate and strict with his creative intent in what he wants for a show, getting it to stand out, and allowing the rest of the writers, animators, and cast to have fun and explore the universe head-on. The concept of the American nuclear family and the sci-fi genre on tv have been flipped on their heads, and comedically at that, resulting in not only some of the best episodes in animated sitcom, but some of the best television ever.

That said, I don't expect the world out of his new show. It's not just that there is tough act to follow from his/their previous work, but it's tough to get a series off the ground and be successful in general, no matter who's behind it. However, if Groening and Co. can take fantasy (which me, personally, I'm not even that well-versed in) and do something interesting and entertaining with it, come up with quality material for story, and make it funny, then obviously I'm all in.

“Ultimately," says Matt Groening, "Disenchantment will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you."
    God, this logline is great. Who couldn't be on board?

I wonder if a Futurama crossover is likely? I mean, nearly the entire cast is there. If Disenchantment takes off we could even see a Simpsons/Futurama/Disenchantment mega crossover! Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I wonder if Bender's Game is a gauge for the type of humor we can expect?

The fact that not only Weinstein but Oakley as well are directly involved in the making of the show greatly raised my interest. Here's hoping they pull it off and it'll turn out to be an really good series (oh, and I really like that it's fantasy as it's a fun genre; I wonder if it will mainly spoof fantasy like Futurama mainly spoofs science-fiction).

Blog Entries

god, i hope bender's game isn't any kind of blueprint for this. i'll be honest, that is the biggest worry for me right now regarding this. fantasy stuff can so easily get bogged down in "nerd shit" and become inaccessible and i am kinda struggling to think of any fantasy comedy stuff i have liked. i hope the genre isn't too restrictive compared to futurama and the simpsons.

i guess sci-fi has the potential to get swallowed up by inaccessible genre crap too and they swerved it pretty well with futurama but yeah, if i am at all cautious about this, that's why.

Harmon Quest was, I thought, a fun animated fantasy show. But obviously, that was based on a real life game being played. Off the top of my head I can't think of many good fantasy based animated comedies. Bender's Game is my least favorite Futurama movie, so I do hope it isn't like that.

I think the problem with Bender's Game (which did grew on me) is that it mainly (and heavily) focused on spoofing Dungeons & Dragons while other fantasy elements took a backseat and that alienated a lot of viewers; they should mainly keep a focus on spoofing fairytales and fantasy-related movies, TV & video games that are more or less well known (such as memorable 80's fantasy films, LOTR and The Hobbit, Game Of Thrones, Legend Of Zelda, etc.) that are not as heavy on "nerd shit" like the all too popular tabletop game spoofs.

Actually, I take back what I said. Fractured Fairy Tales from the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons were very funny.

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    yeah if futurama comes back i'm gonna cry
    I don't get this mentality at all? I loved just about every Futurama episode give or take, but even the not so good episodes were better then the crap that is most live action shows. If I gotta see one more Chicago Doctor or Fireman, or Cop show I am going to pull my hair out. the only good live Action shows IMO are Curb Your Enthusiasm, True Blood, Carnivale, The Sopranos, Lifes To Short, The X Files, 24, Agent Carter, Stranger Things, and Arrested Development. most other live action is crap IMHO and as you can see most of what I watch is either not on TV or left TV before Its time. yes the Simpsons should have ended years ago but Futurama deserved at least 15 years on TV with out getting jerked around. FOX never liked or got what the show was about.

This new Groaning show reminds me of Futurama Benders Game and I love that veteran Futurama voice cast is brought on board, I CANT WAIT, Hopefully Netflix treats it right, I think they will, I think Netflix gets it!

Blog Entries

sometimes its good to let let dead things stay dead
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Yeah the last two seasons of Futurama were mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. I also felt that ending was a perfect ending to the series. I wouldn't want to see it brought back. It's over and I've accepted it.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I can't stand when people act like 7 seasons "only" is a travesty or something. Really, it's a pretty good run, and it never went on for so long it got stale like The Simpsons (and even those who think it got worse probably can agree it never got that bad).

Shut up about Futurama being canceled already. It's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    Yeah the last two seasons of Futurama were mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. I also felt that ending was a perfect ending to the series. I wouldn't want to see it brought back. It's over and I've accepted it.
    I loved the Comedy Central Run of the Show Didn't think It lost a thing, To each his own I guess, Three of my favorite episodes were, That Darn Katz, The one with Mr. Peppy I loved The Scottish planet and the Scooby do ending, had a Halloween feel to it like The Honking, and Finally I loved The one with the Drinks Machine dating Bender and Benders son! And that's just three episodes I enjoyed most episodes from the Comedy Central Run. I think what through people off is that In I believe the first season on Comedy Central the Composer for the original run, Christopher Tyng was not brought back because of Budgetary constraints I thought that first season on CC the score was lacking, they just used Tyng's themes. I think Tyng was brought back though for the final 3 seasons but I could be wrong on that in any event the score got better or I just got used to it?

The revival era wasn't as good as the original four seasons but it had a lot of good stuff and I enjoyed it. I think the series ended well (for a second time) and I'm satisfied and happy with what we got; that the series went from four seasons to two more seasons and four movies is impressive and I don't feel that anything is missing even though it got cancelled again after that. It had a very good run and that's that. It's done and over with & it's time to accept it.

At least those who want Futurama to continue aren't obnoxious like those who are pissed that Star Wars: The Clone Wars got cancelled after a very good run of six seasons and still complain about it ending, say "Fuck you Disney" & moan about how "horrible" Star Wars Rebels is over and over; that's pretty pathetic and really annoying (Fortunately it's a behavior Futurama fans never have resorted to as far as I've seen).

Thread Information