View Poll Results: Mark Hentemann vehicle

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Very engaging!

1 5.26%
  • 4/5: Great time at the border.

0 0%
  • 3/5: Meh. Better luck next time, Mark.

0 0%
  • 2/5: I almost miss The Cleveland Show.

5 26.32%
  • 1/5: Borderline unwatchable!

13 68.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: Bordertown - The Engagement (1AXH01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problems with this show already begin with the first scene: Becky. I already knew I had to endure way too much of her, but even since the first minute?? Oh crap.
    Before the actual plot starts, there are only some various Mexican jokes, none of them all that funny. I especially didn't care for that illegal immigrant Bud was chasing. The basis for a Looney Tunes-esque running gag is certainly not the worst idea, but it will practically not even work due to how bad the animation is. The introduction for the son in the family is very odd. We only see him get an energy drink can which boosts him up, and have a joke with him parking a toy car. After that, he doesn't have one more line of dialogue. Weird.
    The actual plot starts when J.C. sees Becky when arriving back home and the two of them act flirty. How anyone can fall for somebody with such a horrible voice is beyond me, but whatever.

All right, I'm just gonna discuss some things separately instead since this thing is such a freakin' mess I don't even know where to start.

First of all, I have a massive problem with the characters. Bud Buckwald is okay I guess, but most of the time he's just an annoying asshole rather than funny. Janice, his wife, is just... there. I thought she would be quite grating, but surprisingly there is simply just not much to her at all. She's not modern Lois though, so she has the upper hand there at least. Ernesto and J.C. are fine, but I feel like Mark Hentemann and Lalo Alcaraz didn't quite go the full mile with their characters, and that better writing could have made them a lot funnier. Ernesto had some few actually amusing moments though, so perhaps there's some potential in him. Like I mentioned earlier, Sanford doesn't even appear for more than a couple seconds, so there's nothing to say about him. But the one joke he had was only half-amusing at best. Pablo Carruda thankfully hasn't made his debute yet. He looks like a terrible character, I do not look forward to his first episode. Now, let's talk about the bad characters. That little kid with the weird voice who pranks Bud? Didn't care for him. Gert, the daughter, SUCKED. I already hate her from the little I've seen, and the least this show needs is a Honey Boo-Boo-like white trash caricatyre. "Oh hey, my personality is being a snotty kid who eats like a fatass!". Ugh. But she's nothing, and I mean nothing... compared to Becky. SHE'S UNBEARABLE! And worst of all, she was in half the damn episode!! How can J.C. fall for her at all?! She looks like a combination between a really fat Meg and Lois, except she actually really is ugly! And I don't mean funny-ugly, I mean so ugly that it's painful. The fuck with these character designs, Hentemann!

The humor was hit-and-miss. Mostly miss. If I didn't cringe, I was completely non-responsive. If I remember right, 3 minutes in a row passed without me reacting to a single joke! Heck, even the jokes I thought were amusing in some of the trailers, I didn't care for at all now. That's an alarming sign, as it means even jokes you found good the first time will not hold up later again. There were some I thought were genuinely funny though, like Bud showing kids the sign "Go Back To Mexico" and his head exploding in shock (which is made even funnier with the meta joke later on where someone thinks his head exploded for real). The liberal media joke was also the only one to give me a proper laugh, the guy dressing up as a "scary Mexican" to scare the little girl was a second of smart satire. But the alien probing gag was irritating and only got worse and worse for every time it popped up. And ANY joke involving Becky was shit! Alex Borstein, what are you DOING?! Why do you have to torture me with that volcano erupting fucking voice?!?! At least her voice for the mom worked as soon as I got used to it, but Becky's was on level with Adam Sandler's forced voice in That's My Boy! Really, the only voices I thought were as much as decent were Bud's (only because it's Hank Azaria, who even with his half-assed version of Comic Book Guy is gold to most of the other ones) and Ernesto's. J.C.'s voice was okay in the trailer, but after hearing him for more than one minute, the snarky tone of it started to slightly piss me off.

Overall, it's a very bad start! It's not because the show revolves around stereotypes though. They are going for a satirical approach, and I'm fine with it. The problem is more that it's so fucking boring. The plot was generic and the pacing was very crummy. It either felt like everything was going too slow, or that it was going way too quickly. J.C. when he finally gets to Becky decides in a split second marriage should wait?? What the fuck? Did they even try to execute this plot well? I was so surprised the episode then was already over that I almost started laughing out loud. That's how you end the fucking episode?! I hope you are kidding.
    The only reason I'll continue sticking around watching more episodes is to see if they go anywhere with Bud and Ernesto (the only characters who have the potential to entertain me at all). Other than that, I don't see what there's worth giving a shit about here. 4/10
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 04-06-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

This show was pretty much doomed from the start as it looked like that one child of Seth MacFarlane that was so ugly that he decided to put it up for adoption. Hell, I was even tempted to vote this episode as a 1/5 before it aired just because I knew that I would hate it, but I decided not to just because of how strongly I feel about voting for an episode before watching it. I'll start off by saying that this episode tries way too hard to be edgy and offensive by having Mexican stereotypes as jokes, but the only offensive thing about it is how boring it is. Seriously, the jokes were just tired and badly executed and I was more entertained by the pilot of Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life than I was for the pilot of this show. This episode did have couple of jokes I actually thought were good like the sign family gag which made me laugh due to how absurd it was and even though the running gag of Mexicans being abducted by aliens wasn't funny, I did think the "probe whistle" line was kind of clever, but most of them just fell flat as they were either unoriginal, boring or just random bullshit without a punchline. There were a few jokes that had the potential to be funny like Comic Book Guy's sound-alike's head exploding and his failed attempt at a car backflip and the inbred character, (Who had an amusing character design.) but they just weren't due to how badly-timed they were whether it was bad dialogue or the stiff animation. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the animation is very stiff and very lifeless and it might have some of the worst character designs I've ever seen in an animated show. Now I'm getting to the characters because none of them are interesting at all. I'm calling the main character Comic Book Guy's sound-alike because I don't care enough to remember or even make an effort to look for his name and he's the best character of the show even though that isn't saying much. The rest of the characters are very boring and forgettable, but the worst character had to be the one voiced by Alex Borstein who I'm going to call Fat Meg Griffin with an annoying-ass voice. Even though I wasn't that annoyed by it at first just because I was more focused on how boring this episode was, but it was still pretty grating to listen to and there's nothing likeable about her at all.

So that was Bordertown and while it's not as bad as something like The Cleveland Show or Brickleberry and I got at least one laugh out of it, but my god this was just a complete chore to watch. The plot is just another generic "lol Mexicans suck and Americans rule" story and it has very little redeeming qualities to save it. Will I catch the second episode of this? Well, I did catch the second episode of Mulaney although I barely made it through the first act, so there's a small chance that I might watch the second episode out of curiousity, but this was so abysmally bad that I don't think I want to put myself through this again. Like I said this show was doomed from the start and I'll bet that this show will be done for after the season finale. 1/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

the best thing about the pilot to bordertown was that it got across everything it needed to about the show in just 21 minutes, which is normally difficult for most pilots, and that thing is: it's fucking awful and 21 minutes incredibly hard to endure. never have I seen a show fail on almost every level imaginable. atrocious joke writing, horrid character designs, extremely poor animation, extremely unlikable characters, too many characters, voice acting that ranges from lazy to insufferable, and racism/sexism/homophobia and a bunch of horrible traits in one rotten turd.

there were two things that didn't make me feel like I was watching something that didn't feel like an over-the-top parody: whoever voices ernesto is the only one who actually manages to make his character seem bearable and I'll admit I cracked a smile at the last 4th wall title joke.

and... I guess that's it! I can't imagine this lasting very long at all so I look forward to the return of bob's burgers in an actual good timeslot. thanks for introducing us all to kevin spencer, mark hentemann! 1/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As much as I agree with you that this episode was awful, I think you make too much of a habit screaming "racism" about stuff. They are parodying Mexican culture and lampooning the racial tension present in America, not saying Mexicans are stupid and suck.

Blog Entries

yeah ryan stop SCREAMING racism

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

sorry I guess I should dial it down from saying it once in that assortment pile to none at all

although this show was... pretty racist in parts

Blog Entries

I wonder how much Rule 34 now exists of that guy who kept getting anally probed.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

only you would wonder that

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Haha, they Tweeted it with more than one caption too. Clearly anal probes are Bordertown's selling point.

I try hard to like every cartoon I watch whether it deserves it or not, but this was so uninteresting I struggled to stay conscious.. Even the worst episode of Drawn Together was way more attention grabbing and funnier than this was.. 2 out of 5 giant belt buckles

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post

over 1600 followers, huh? I know that's pretty low end for a TV show's official twitter acct but still 1600 too many

Blog Entries

fucking terrible 1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This felt a lot like an episode of Family Guy in tone. The characters are largely unlikable with tiny hints of humanity here and there, with a couple exceptions (I thought Ernesto was pretty fun), the joke-writing has that lackadaisical "edgy" approach to the one-liners, there're the usual smattering of surreal or cutaway-style gags, and the animation/direction feels extremely MacFarlane-esque.

Nowhere was this clearer to me than with the character of Becky, who's pretty much a carbon copy Family Guy "fat girl" and the worst part of the show. From her irritating design, grating voice and abhorrent personality, she's one of the most unlikable people I've seen on TV in a while. While the rest of the show wasn't great, I do think most of the other characters had at least one or two fun moments to themselves, while Becky was altogether unpleasant.

The jokes mostly whiffed, but there were a few in there that I enjoyed. The cold opening bit with the immigrant retreating to Bud's furthest distance run was pretty good, Ernesto's passive-aggressive "wait until all the problems of the world are fixed before getting a job" was an enjoyably relatable line, and the surprise visual at the end of the belt-buckle gag was well-timed. But there were plenty of jokes that were off-putting (the abortion thing), overly nasty (the condom joke), predictable and labored (Bud's car slide), or just poorly timed (like any sign gag). The probe runner was probably better on paper than in practice. Although I dld like the son's tiny car.

Anyway, it just felt way too derivative in most respects. I kinda like some of the quirky designs (Bud looks pretty good, if they could just dial back his large black stubble), while others are sort of awful (Becky, the probed alien guy). But by and large, it was an unpleasant show with mostly whiffed humor and characters. That said, I do think it's better than American Dad's original pilot, so there's a small chance it could improve.

2/5 D+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

at least its better than Family Guy 2/5

I think this type of animated series is on the way out (ie: Seth MacFarlane humor). Family Guy will survive because of its legacy and built-in following, but I think imitators don't stand a chance anymore. I'm predicting American Dad to die off pretty soon given its quality dip since its move to TBS. Cleveland Show was living off FG's popularity for its entire run but couldn't survive. Bordertown doesn't stand a chance, IMO. MacFarlane and his band of writers in general I think are a dying breed. Ted 2 seemed like a bit of a failure. A Million Ways to Die in the West was a major dud. MacFarlane was disliked as an Oscar host. If it wasn't for Family Guy, I'm not sure what he's doing that people really enjoy these days.
    Signature.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From his recent interviews, it seems he's really focused on his singing career right now, which I'm fine with since he does have a nice voice.

Only other thing I've really heard of him possibly doing soon is the Family Guy movie, that and maybe Executive Producing other choice series (like that one with Patrick Stewart currently on).
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    and racism/sexism/homophobia and a bunch of horrible traits in one rotten turd.
    In the show's defense, I didn't think it was actually bad in these areas. The race stuff could've been handled horribly, but Ernesto actually seems like one of the only decent, likable characters in the show and even for the kinda rare "quirky Mexican" gag like the TV shows, there were several other examples of Bud being close-minded and xenophobic (which the show is obviously making fun of). Don't really remember any sexism, and the only gay jokes were again from Bud being antagonistic.

Blog Entries

The design of the characters really irk me. Not very pleasant to look at, are they?

I suppose I'll give this a watch just to see it for myself but expectations are low.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    The design of the characters really irk me. Not very pleasant to look at, are they?
    Well, given Mark Hentemann's previous animated show "3 South" had the exact same art style, it's fair to say that it's just the way he draws characters.

Oddly enough, I just found this while looking up 3 South. I don't know who this character is, but he looks exactly like a thinner version of Bryce, the resident anal probe victim of Bordertown.

I might actually give 3 South a watch at some point just to see if I can spot anymore stuff that gets rehashed in Bordertown.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    The problems with this show already begin with the first scene: Becky. I already knew I had to endure way too much of her, but even since the first minute?? Oh crap.
    Before the actual plot starts, there are only some various Mexican jokes, none of them all that funny. I especially didn't care for that illegal immigrant Bud was chasing. The basis for a Looney Tunes-esque running gag is certainly not the worst idea, but it will practically not even work due to how bad the animation is. The introduction for the son in the family is very odd. We only see him get an energy drink can which boosts him up, and have a joke with him parking a toy car. After that, he doesn't have one more line of dialogue. Weird.
    The actual plot starts when J.C. sees Becky when arriving back home and the two of them act flirty. How anyone can fall for somebody with such a horrible voice is beyond me, but whatever.

All right, I'm just gonna discuss some things separately instead since this thing is such a freakin' mess I don't even know where to start.

First of all, I have a massive problem with the characters. Bud Buckwald is okay I guess, but most of the time he's just an annoying asshole rather than funny. Janice, his wife, is just... there. I thought she would be quite grating, but surprisingly there is simply just not much to her at all. She's not modern Lois though, so she has the upper hand there at least. Ernesto and J.C. are fine, but I feel like Mark Hentemann and Lalo Alcaraz didn't quite go the full mile with their characters, and that better writing could have made them a lot funnier. Ernesto had some few actually amusing moments though, so perhaps there's some potential in him. Like I mentioned earlier, Sanford doesn't even appear for more than a couple seconds, so there's nothing to say about him. But the one joke he had was only half-amusing at best. Pablo Carruda thankfully hasn't made his debute yet. He looks like a terrible character, I do not look forward to his first episode. Now, let's talk about the bad characters. That little kid with the weird voice who pranks Bud? Didn't care for him. Gert, the daughter, SUCKED. I already hate her from the little I've seen, and the least this show needs is a Honey Boo-Boo-like white trash caricatyre. "Oh hey, my personality is being a snotty kid who eats like a fatass!". Ugh. But she's nothing, and I mean nothing... compared to Becky. SHE'S UNBEARABLE! And worst of all, she was in half the damn episode!! How can J.C. fall for her at all?! She looks like a combination between a really fat Meg and Lois, except she actually really is ugly! And I don't mean funny-ugly, I mean so ugly that it's painful. The fuck with these character designs, Hentemann!

The humor was hit-and-miss. Mostly miss. If I didn't cringe, I was completely non-responsive. If I remember right, 3 minutes in a row passed without me reacting to a single joke! Heck, even the jokes I thought were amusing in some of the trailers, I didn't care for at all now. That's an alarming sign, as it means even jokes you found good the first time will not hold up later again. There were some I thought were genuinely funny though, like Bud showing kids the sign "Go Back To Mexico" and his head exploding in shock (which is made even funnier with the meta joke later on where someone thinks his head exploded for real). The liberal media joke was also the only one to give me a proper laugh, the guy dressing up as a "scary Mexican" to scare the little girl was a second of smart satire. But the alien probing gag was irritating and only got worse and worse for every time it popped up. And ANY joke involving Becky was shit! Alex Borstein, what are you DOING?! Why do you have to torture me with that volcano erupting fucking voice?!?! At least her voice for the mom worked as soon as I got used to it, but Becky's was on level with Adam Sandler's forced voice in That's My Boy! Really, the only voices I thought were as much as decent were Bud's (only because it's Hank Azaria, who even with his half-assed version of Comic Book Guy is gold to most of the other ones) and Ernesto's. J.C.'s voice was okay in the trailer, but after hearing him for more than one minute, the snarky tone of it started to slightly piss me off.

Overall, it's a very bad start! It's not because the show revolves around stereotypes though. They are going for a satirical approach, and I'm fine with it. The problem is more that it's so fucking boring. The plot was generic and the pacing was very crummy. It either felt like everything was going too slow, or that it was going way too quickly. J.C. when he finally gets to Becky decides in a split second marriage should wait?? What the fuck? Did they even try to execute this plot well? I was so surprised the episode then was already over that I almost started laughing out loud. That's how you end the fucking episode?! I hope you are kidding.
    The only reason I'll continue sticking around watching more episodes is to see if they go anywhere with Bud and Ernesto (the only characters who have the potential to entertain me at all). Other than that, I don't see what there's worth giving a shit about here. 4/10
    there terrible bad SUCKED. fuck ANY DOING?! way try

Thread Information