Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NHC Winter Video Game Music Showdown (RESULTS!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Last edited by Shaunbadia; 12-04-2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: I got my dates mixed up, 3 days from yesterday would be Saturday, not Friday.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Match #1
    Vib Ribbon - Universal Dance

love 2 vib. other track was just kinda bland ambient music imo

Match #2
    Valis III - Nirvan Road

nice junky genesis-worthy sound. glover has a weird sound that doesn't quite gel with me. it seems like it doesn't quite reach what it wants to be

Match #3
    Kula World - Hell

really funky music. title's not that fitting tho! the other car game track felt a tad generic

Match #4
    GTA III - Forever

love the fake GTA tracks. never fucked with the radio in the games so it was new to me and it was good stuff. neopets track is cute but no

Match #5
    Flight - Soaring in the Stars

even though i've never even played the game i can clearly tell it's fitting. lethal weapon track is fairly good too. not a bad pick either way but flight is more imaginative

Match #6
    Etrian Odyssey IV - Labyrinth I: Cerulean Woodlands

very fun adventurous-sounding. GTA track is nice and funky but the odyssey one has a lot more going for it

Match #7
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - Great Glacier

hate 2 pokemon but this was an admittedly nice track. the seiken track is fine but kinda empty tbh

Match #8
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto

sorry but i didn't overly enjoy either track. this one is all right, and the other one is just kinda bland ambient music
    Last edited by Sam; 12-02-2015 at 05:28 PM.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Vib-Ribbon - “Universal Dance”
    vs.
    Silent Hill - “Blood Tears”

I really like the high energy of Universal Dance.

Match #2
    Glover - “Atlantis Realm 2”
    vs.
    Valis III - “Nirvan Road”

Nirvan Road left more of an impression on me.

Match #3
    Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - “Amiga Intro”
    vs.
    Kula World - “Hell”

Both high energy tracks but Turbo Challenge does a much better job

Match #4
    Grand Theft Auto III - “Forever”
    vs.
    Neopets - “Ice Cream Machine”

The Neopets song is great, but it was ruined by me overplaying the game in an attempt to earn the avatar. I freaking love Forever and probably would have voted for it either way.

Match #5
    Lethal Weapon - “Mission 4”
    vs.
    Flight - “Soaring in the Stars”

Don’t like Lethal Weapon as much as most seem to and I love Soaring in the Stars.

Match #6
    Grand Theft Auto V - “Chop the Dog”
    vs.
    Etrian Odyssey IV - “Labyrinth I: Cerulean Woodlands”

Chop the Dog has nice build-up but Cerulean Woodlands is damn fine orchestral work.

Match #7
    Seiken Densetsu 3 - “Where Angels Fear to Tread”
    vs.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - “Great Glacier”

Both great but this is a tad better.

Match #8
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - “L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto”
    vs.
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty - “Sons Of Liberty Main Titles”

I prefer the techno style of MGS 2 to the boring L’Oscurita dell’Ignoto
    Last edited by ataeaf; 12-04-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

1. Vib-Ribbon vs. Silent Hill

i feel the same about this vib ribbon song as i felt about the last vib ribbon song from a year ago: decent instrumental, hampered by gobbledygook "lyrics". i guess it gets my vote here, because i don't have anything to say about silent hill. it was a song. there was a piano. i think there was another instrument in there? hm. yeah let's go with that.

2. Glover vs. Valis III

there are some elements of valis iii track that i like, but for the most part it's the kind of genesis music that i'm not really into. the various instruments don't really go together... it just makes me feel uncomfortable. i think sometimes the genesis is able to pull off a gnarled sound, but i don't think this quite does it. glover is a decent tune, i liked it. i think this could grow on me a lot. glover it is.

3. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge vs. Kula World

there are amiga tunes i dig, but i dunno if i'd say i liked letc. it's one of those tracks that doesn't feel particularly unique. i think i've heard these kind of cut-and-paste rock tunes in countless sports games. it's not awful, it just doesn't leave much impact. kula world was Fine. wished that it had gotten a bit more eccentric, it felt oddly restricted. but yeah this is passable, guess it beats letc which is only middling.

4. Grand Theft Auto IIIvs. Neopets

grand theft auto was almost painfully goofy. neopets was generic library music. uh. well. i guess gta.

5. Lethal Weapon vs. Flight

lethal weapon was a frenetic and fun piece of 16-bit music. sounds like it could be mega man music. flight was also very enjoyable. two good discoveries here. as of now, i liked flight more, but honestly this could go either way.

6. Grand Theft Auto V vs. Etrian Odyssey IV

GTA offerin' some nice jazz. i definitely am into the piano/saxophone mix here. etrian odyssey was a nice pleasant tune. it's close but there are a lot of elements in the GTA song i really like. so i guess i vote for that.

7. Seiken Densetsu 3 vs. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

seiken densetsu was good, but kind of bland. i think driving, frantic action tunes are what the 16-bit consoles are best at; i've never seen a 16-bit track that's more subdued ever totally stick the landing. mystery dungeon is good stuff.

8. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance vs. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

i don't have a lot to say here. both of these were only so-so. if i had to pick one, i'd go with kingdom hearts, because it has SOME elements i dig.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1

I liked both of these selections. Vib-Ribbon was quirky enough that I looked up some gameplay videos... not sure what I was watching but the quirky-ness certainly is pretty standard music for the "game." Music fit well, but so did the SH music to its game. I'll let uniqueness wins out in this one for me though.

Match #2

I was grooving on the 5th gen flow up til Valis. The Genesis has a very distinct sound to it that I have difficulty enjoying. The Valis music has much more depth though. The Glover music is more akin to the songs that did well last tourney. Toss up for me here.

Match #3

Lotus bringing that Old School Cool. I had my volume loud enough that the start signal toward the end of the track actually startled me. There just wasn't enough there for "Hell" to be ahead of Lotus, though that build up at the end was cool.

Match #4

I can see myself cruising to "Forever" while in GTA 3. "Ice Cream Machine" begins like a song out of Spongebob, which is a good thing, but when the guitar stuff starts in it kind of kills it for me. No strong preference one way or the other on this one.

Match #5

I enjoyed both of these songs. I looked up some gameplay vids of Flight and the song really brings out the gameplay. But alas, the NES and SNES is the music of angels.

Match #6

Both solid songs. Labyrinth is beautiful though.

Match #7

Secret of Mana 2 is definitely a game I'd like to play. I'll need to play the first one first though which I'm told also has amazing music. This song is solid and I feel like if I were playing the game it would be even better. The Pokemon song is unique, it does that build-up thing over and over again the early part of the song in an interesting way. This is a very tough one.

Match #8

I absolutely love Kingdom Hearts music but this one felt pretty tame. It had the simialr feel of KH boss fights before but something was off. Fortunately for it though it went up against a song that was basically the same few seconds just repeating over and over.

Blog Entries

1. Silent Hill - "Blood Tears"
    2. Glover - “Atlantis Realm 2”
    3. Kula World - “Hell”
    4. Grand Theft Auto III - “Forever”
    5. Flight - “Soaring in the Stars”
    6. Etrian Odyssey IV - “Labyrinth I: Cerulean Woodlands”
    7. Seiken Densetsu 3 - “Where Angels Fear to Tread”
    8. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty - “Sons Of Liberty Main Titles”

Starting out with a song from a game I submitted once before. Vib-Ribbon's OST is small, but it's perfect from start to finish. It was hard for me to choose a song from it before because they're all just so, so great. I can't really think of anything fresh or new to say about this because I've already rambled on it in a past showdown, but "Universal Dance" is just... it makes me very happy, much like the rest of the Vib-Ribbon soundtrack. As for Silent Hill, the series has some hauntingly beautiful music as a whole. "Blood Tears" is no exception to this. Very relaxing and having just listened to "Universal Dance" before it, it certainly is a rather hefty shift in tone. It's not the best that the series has to offer, but I could certainly see myself listening to this again as a nice background piece while reading. A very tough choice here, but I think I'm gonna go with Silent Hill simply on the basis of it having more re-listenable value to me.

I have never played Glover before, but man, oh man, that image in the YT video just appeals to the child in me that yearns for 3D platformers of the PS1 era. Another very peaceful track that sounds like it could potentially be part of an underwater segment? I'm not sure what makes me picture it like that. Maybe it's the whistling. Anyway, it paints a nice picture for a game I've never experienced, and that's always a what a great piece of VGM should be able to do for those who haven't played before. A good piece of VGM fits the portion of the game it's in, a great piece can help you imagine a whole new world before you've even seen the one it comes from. Valis III was uh... a lot more action packed but not in a good way. This is my hangup with old VGM like this showing (Though I'm generally more forgiving to tracks from Genesis games) but it was just like... a lot of noise where nothing really stood out to me as memorable. Vote goes to Glover (Also, I just NOW looked at the title of that song properly "Atlantis Realm". No fuckin' duh it's probably an underwater level! Haha, well my point still stands that it was able to convey that very well considering I was none the wiser at first).

"Amiga Intro" from Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge came on in a rather unpleasantly distorted and loud fashion through my headphones. Not off to a good start... oh wait, that was actually the Dev company startup thing wasn't it? Weird that was included but whatever. The actual track has a good energy to it for a racing game. Exactly the sort of thing I'd wanna hear if I was playing a game like this. A little repetitive but eh, these games only had so much space on them, so I can't be too harsh. Kinda reminds me of something from an old Duke Nukem game, y'know... it feels like it's fueled with high octane machismo from the late 80s/early 90s. Oh, those were starting horns I just heard... this is gameplay. Yeah, tip for the future folks. Try to get an isolated version of the track if you can. The fact that it abruptly cuts off doesn't do it any favors either. I understand that sometimes with older games this stuff can be difficult to dig up but it just doesn't sound good. Kula World, another game I previously submitted a track from, makes a reappearance here and... honestly, I'm not feeling it. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but this is for sure a weak track from it in my opinion. Doesn't really carry that same lofty and whimsical aura of being in some sort of mystical, trippy sky maze that a lot of the games other tracks do. The synth sounds in here are good and the piano that comes in towards the end helps pick things up a bit more to the style of the game overall but aside from that it just feels a little off. In spite of those issues it gets my vote because it was up against an extremely easy to beat entry.

Kudos to the person who managed to find a song from the radio in a GTA game that was actually an original song and not a licensed track like the vast majority of the radio station tracks in this series. My understanding while doing a bit of research on this is that the supposed "Lucy" is sort of GTA's parody version of Madonna (I'm assuming they wanted one of her songs but couldn't reach an agreement so they threw this together as an alternative). It's honestly a great song with some very pretty vocals that admittedly get a little lost towards the finish as the music overpowers them, but that aside I can't find anything else I object to about it. *Sigh* And now we come to the first of the Neopets tracks. Buckle up, folks, because you're gonna be seeing quite a bit of both this and GTA in this showdown. Not to spoil what I'll have to say about further Neopets tracks in this thing, but suffice it to say, this is the best of the bunch, which means my comments on it are only gonna get less positive as we go along. "Ice Cream Machine" is a cute and perfectly pleasant piece that doesn't offer much, because it doesn't need to, being from a basic little flash game on the internet and all. It could very well have gotten my vote against some things in this showdown, but alas, Grand Theft Auto III was the first foe it has met, and "Forever" is what gets my vote.

I am a very hard man to please when it comes to SNES music, but man, Lethal Weapon is an exception to my usual dislike for tracks from this era. Has a great atmosphere for what I can only imagine is a sub-par beat 'em up/shoot 'em up movie tie-in. "Soaring in the Stars" was... damn, take notes Neopets, because this is what stellar flash game music sounds like. I'm gonna have to look this game up at some point if it's still online and play it, because the idea of such grand music being used in a game about paper planes is very appealing/amusing to me. Flight gets the vote.

Now, as I said earlier about their being plenty of GTA/Neopets in this thing, well, we're now on to track number 2 of the GTA offerings. I was actually gonna turn this away until it occurred to me that most people don't really remember GTA games for their scores as much as they do the songs that appear on the radio. "Chop the Dog" offers a very nice feeling of nostalgic value in that it attemps to recapture a bit of that "Urban essence" so to speak, that the theme of GTA: San Andreas had and then throws in some really smooth jazzy bits on top. "Cerulean Woods" just knocked it out of the park the moment it started with it's rich orchestral feel and beautiful piano though. Both strong entries but "Cerulean Woods" edged out GTA for me.

Seiken Densetsu 3... oh, I could just melt into a chair listening to this. Like, this starts off as some meditation level stuff before it picks up the pace a bit towards the 1:30 mark, and even following that where it goes in a different direction it still doesn't detract from what I enjoyed about it at the start. Perfect build up to a great finish. Pokemon was a very pleasant surprise too, like, almost on par with the "Cerulean Woods" track and yet... something about it just didn't stand out to me anywhere near as much as Seiken Densetsu 3. So... Seiken Densetsu 3 it is then.

Kingdom Hearts was just.... I'll be honest, it was fuckin' boring. I kinda zoned out and yet when I tuned in again I felt like I hadn't missed anything. As a fan of Metal Gear anyway, I'm going with the nice, if a little bare bones techno ambiance of "Sons of Liberty Main Titles".

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

vib ribbon
    glover
    kula world
    gta III
    flight
    gta v
    pokemon mystery dungeon
    mgs 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

Match #1
    Blood Tears is a bit too downtrodden for my taste while Universal Dance is funky and has some really cool vocals and a nice drum beat.

Match #2
    This track has that nice, signature Genesis sound that I really love. The other track feels a bit empty.

Match #3
    The other track is okay, but Turbo is a high intensity and just plain badass racing tune.

Match #4
    Neopets is too cutesy. Forever is great; it reminds me of the joys of playing GTA III and listening to that goofy in-game radio.

Match #5
    I don't have anything to say about Lethal Weapon really other than that is was pretty generic. Flight wins out due to its soft, welcoming, and whimsical tone.

Match #6
    Woodlands is good, but Chop's mission and theme are just too great. The jazzy undertones mix well with the piano here.

Match #7
    Great Glacier, like classic Pokemon music, sounds like gentleness and adventurousness mixed. I love it.

Match #8
    Kingdom Hearts is intense, but I love Sons of Liberty's sound which invokes the fear of unknowing and mysteriousness, which is the exact tone of the game itself. Overall, a great game and great track to go with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Kudos to the person who managed to find a song from the radio in a GTA game that was actually an original song and not a licensed track like the vast majority of the radio station tracks in this series.
    All radio tracks in GTA III are original tracks. They didn’t start using licensed tracks until Vice City.

Blog Entries

Uh... pretty sure songs such as Paul Engemann's "Push it to the Limit", Debbie Harry's "Rush Rush" and Holland's "She's On Fire" were all in the hit motion picture "Scarface" before they were in Grand Theft Auto III.

Blog Entries

Oh, sorry. I don’t remember III all too well; Vice City is the game I remember (well, and II).

Blog Entries

Match #4

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

Match #1

Hmm... Vib-Ribbon is quite energetic and lets loose. A little puzzling but like whatever let's party. Fun track for sure. Silent Hill is more solemn obviously and has my soul in a headlock. I'm trapped in this trance wondering "what could I have done to avoid the state of my life up to this point?" but then it's met with this rushing feeling of "you're ok dude, you still have your looks" and that gives me the courage to continue skipping down the dark corridor.

Silent Hill - "Blood Tears"

Match #2

Ok so I'm really digging Glover. It's really laid back and god I can't describe it, but there's an emotion to it. Like you're alone in appreciating something or knowing something good about yourself and you wish others can share in knowing or appreciating this thing, but they can't. It's just for you. I mean pfft LAME, right?
    Now Valis III is a neat little number. I imagine it's great for when you really need to pay attention to what you're doing on screen while having no free hand to wipe the sweat from your forehead. Still, gotta love glover.

Glover - "Atlantis Realm 2"

Match #3

Yo BRO do you have what it takes to burn rubber and shred asphalt for the FATE OF MANKIND? No? Too bad piss-pants, you're up! That's pretty much the vibe I get from Lotus (the song). It's tense, if not a tad repetitive, but you're thrown in and it manages to achieve that simple sense of raised blood pressure that a racing game such as this should provide. Kula World, I feel like I'm a master of my craft and I've been hired to do a very complicated job (which I totally have under control). Apparently it involves beach balls? Either way I'm intrigued and the song on it's own is pretty cool and rhythmic.

Kula World - "Hell"

Match #4

Like someone touched on above, I can see myself driving like a good citizen in order to enjoy this song in full, which is what I usually do with songs I like on GTA's radio, let alone in real life. I'm a sucker for pop on GTA because it's just so... ironic to what I'm probably doing. "Forever" is a sweet, relaxing track. Beautiful vocals too. The Neopets track sounds like a montage for a fun day in the park with a bunch of puppies. Can't argue with that, but then again...

Grand Theft Auto III - "Forever"

Match #5

Mhmm good match-up here that's got me thrown for a loop. Lethal Weapon really belts out the right notes. Casually smooth and cunning. Not loud. Not obnoxioius. It's hypnotic and I can fall asleep to it, yet it's engaging and keeps me alert. HOW though? Flight on the other hand has me on this heroic, glorious roller-coaster ride through the clouds. Whimsical, adventurous, and has plenty of heart going for it. God, I dunno, it's tough. Both great songs but I can only choose one. Sorry, you.

Lethal Weapon - "Mission 4"

Match #6

Wow okay another doozie. I am very familiar with GTA V's song as it's one of the games I'll currently pop in to play. It's really good. Reminds me of dying in online battles or spectating other players, but yeah it's really good. I don't know what more I could add, but it has jazzy riffs/beats that I dig and this write-up won't give it justice. Etrian Odyssey has a classic air to it. I bet the member who nominated it sits in a recliner in their robe next to the fireplace, sipping on cognac, with a little Cerulean Woodlands playing softly on repeat in the background. Honestly another thinker behind this decision.

Etrian Odyssey IV - "Labyrinth I: Cerulean Woodlands"

Match #7

Seiken Densetsu 3 is dreamy and curious. I feel like I'm learning the childhood backstory to some lovable hero, back when life was playful and innocent. Then a subtle transition to present day and hey what do you know? They're still a kid at heart. As for Pokemon, I haven't played since Gold/Silver, but music like this makes me happy that the charm is still alive in these games. This sounds like an adorable part of the game and I can really feel the excitement of exploring/embarking upon the path.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity - "Great Glacier"

Match #8

Kingdom Hearts is certainly epic and feels like there's a lot on the line for this particular moment. Must be an intense boss battle. Metal Gear Solid 2 is cool sounding. Very discreet and down to business. I've always wanted to get into Metal Gear Solid, but I feel like I'd definitely need to start at the beginning. I'd like to get around to it someday, but this music definitely piques my interest to do so sooner rather than later. Both of these songs are fine, but you can probably tell what I'm leaning more towards.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty - "Sons Of Liberty Main Titles"

Blog Entries

mate you should totally check out Kula world if you haven't before
    it's on PS1 (probably on the PSN store? idk haven't checked)
    it's a puzzle game but it's really cool

and yeah there are also beachballs

Blog Entries

Yeah I just pulled up a youtube video and it actually looks like a really fun game. Maybe some day I'll give it a whirl.

Blog Entries

yeah I played it first as like a 4 year old off a PlayStation magazine demo disc then my dad found the full game when I was 8 or something
    played that, good shit

Blog Entries

1. Vib-Ribbon (both decent)
    2. Valis (...I like Genesis)
    3. Grand Theft Auto III (sort of by default)
    4. Kula World (never been a big fan of Amiga tunes)
    5. Lethal Weapon (both great, but I'm a sucker for SNES/Genesis)
    6. Etrian Odyssey (another touch match)
    7. Pokemon (pretty good, other track was pleasant too)
    8. MGS2 (both were sort of dull)

Blog Entries

1- Blood Tears - fucking love this
    2- Atlantic Realm
    3- Amiga intro
    4- Forever
    5- Soaring in the stars - have always liked this one
    6- Chop the dog
    7-pokemon
    8-metal gear solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehouse of Spoopy View Post
    no homers dot net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scalding 40 degree soup View Post
    mate you should totally check out Kula world if you haven't before
    it's on PS1 (probably on the PSN store? idk haven't checked)
    It's on the PS store in the UK for like, £3.99 if memory serves. It's called "Kula Quest"/"Roll Away" in other areas outside of Europe though iirc, so @lionelhutz123 you may wanna check under those names if you don't see it listed as "Kula World" on the US version of the PS Store.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Vib-Ribbon - “Universal Dance”
    2. Valis III - “Nirvan Road”
    3. Kula World - Hell
    5. Flight - "Soaring in the Stars"
    7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - “Great Glacier”

Match #1

Match #2

Match #3

Match #4

Match #5

Match #6

Match #7

Match #8

Match #1
    It seems Blood Tears is Lisa's Theme/Not Tomorrow. It's a nice track and one of the most memorable of the entire game (almost simply for not being an ambient industrial sounding horror track) but I guess in a contest setting it's not as exciting. A lot more effective in game with its particular usage because that scene definitely affects most who come across it. That said, I love vib ribbon's OST. I feel Universal Dance isn't as strong as the other tunes vib ribbon offers but it still puts it above Blood Tears for me this moment.

Match #2
    Glover is a chill tune, very relaxing. Certainly feels like the realm of Atlantis, particular the sense of exploration. Nirvan Road has this menacing feeling to it that bleeds into an almost heroic/near victorious melody by the end and I really dig it. The instrumentation sounds a little discordant at parts like a lot of Genesis music can sound, but I think it works for the nature of the tune and I love the deep sound created at parts. Plus, I really love that driving beat under the whole thing, makes me feel like I'm in all the action. It's very much a signature touch of Michiko Naruke.

Match #3
    Both of these tracks feel a bit repetitive and I'm longing for a little more variation. Amiga Intro seems more my thing. I agree with Shaun though, I think this is kind of a weak Kula World track.

Match #4
    I was in TC while reading the track lists, saw Forever and was trying to figure out what it was. I had said "it makes me think of the fake songs on Lips 106" and handsome was like yep it is. I busted out laughing at my desk. Forever is in fact my favorite fake song off the GTA III radio (my second fave being some "Conor & Jay" song on Head Radio). The GTA III soundtrack is so much smaller compared to following games that you hear these songs a LOOOOOOOOT in game. It's just so funny as a parody pop type song; it's really quite perfect for what it's trying to do. For the longest time, it was not possible to get a clean version of any of the radio tunes and you were forced to listen to in-game rips with the announcers talking over. I can pinpoint exactly where in the song the "Lips 106" callout plays. So uh this YT makes me happy and whoever nominated this, I love you. Ice Cream Machine is really cute but sorry I have ~feelings~ for Forever. Plus I find it really quaint that at some point the music is louder than the singing.

Match #5
    Love the beat in Mission 4. Soaring is certainly fitting, feels like you're right there flying along. Upbeat, energetic, slightly whimsical and then there's that bit of rock that goes on. Sounds like it could be in a big RPG game. I really like Mission 4 but Flight does so much it almost makes M4 sound like it does nothing.

Match #6
    Chop the Dog is so jazzy bassy cool. Labyrinth is so pretty. I'm a sucker for the lovely RPG stuff and Etrian Odyssey has killer soundtracks but I'm really feeling Chop the Dog's foot tapping (face punching, punk biting) mood.

Match #7
    Where Angels Fear to Tread actually took some listens before I really appreciated it. Can come off boring but it's relaxing and pretty to me and the progression to the faster paced adventurous section really gets me jazzed. Great Glacier has that definite RPG feel to it with its woodwinds and build up. Decent tune but SD3's track left more of an impact.

Match #8
    KH music always have such high BPM to them in fight tracks, gets you in the mood but this one in particular just doesn't do much of anything for me melodywise. I'm gonna admit some bias on this one, I played so much MGS2 when it came out and I heard the MGS2 theme so much. It's really not much of anything, just some ambient sounds and repetition. I like a lot of music like this though - ambient menu themes that are not bad but also not really great just on their own. Gonna throw a bone to MGS2.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Time for reminders for those who haven't voted yet!
    @Smiling Politely, @silent disco, @Egg Council Vs Thanksgiving, @1010011010 Cranberries, @Jims and @deadname

10 minutes from the time I post this, there will be 24 hours remaining until the round ends!

Also, @Insomnia, you still have to finish your votes.

Blog Entries

neopets for life, man

Blog Entries

well sb said that there will be more neopets songs coming so you’re in for a Treat

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: 1010011010

Blog Entries

Busy today so gotta be brief.

1. Vib-Ribbon - “Universal Dance” (both really good, but Vib-Ribbon is so much fun)
    2. Valis III - “Nirvan Road” (the Glover melody is nice enough but is hurt by the N64 samples, the Valis III track is just great Sega Genesis driving goodness)
    3. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - “Amiga Intro” (Kula World is nice but a little too trance-y for my tastes, Lotus is amazing)
    4. Grand Theft Auto III - “Forever” (Neopets song is very cute, very early rock 'n roll, but I loved the GTA track)
    5. Flight - “Soaring in the Stars” (ugh, this match is so hard to decide. I love the groove of Lethal Weapon but I am such a sucker for soaring airy music)
    6. Etrian Odyssey IV - “Labyrinth I: Cerulean Woodlands” (yeesh, another tough one, love the funky groove of one but the other one is gorgeous)
    7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - “Great Glacier” (liked both but wish the Secret of Mana had less preamble and got to the snare theme quicker)
    8. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - “L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto” (JRPG battle theme with Inception horns vs. spy movie intrigue music)

Really good Round 1-A. Enjoyed every single track nominated. If this keeps up to the next 3 opening rounds, this one is going to better than the last one.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Vib Ribbon
    2. Valis III
    3. Lotus Esprit
    4. GTA III
    5. Lethal Weapon
    6. GTA V
    7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
    8. Kingdom Hearts 3D
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

1. Silent Hill - “Blood Tears”
    Vib Ribbon soundtrack is a lot of fun, this song being no exception, but Silent Hill is more consistently listenable. It's lovely, and Silent Hill (the whole series) has fantastic music in general. Vib Ribbon is stuff I love in the right mood, Silent Hill is stuff I love all the time.

2. Glover - “Atlantis Realm 2”
    Before the Glover track was even done, I knew I was going to vote for it. That track is pure magic, just lovely. The Valis track was good too. I can be a bit iffy on older tracks, they typically aren't my cup, but I enjoyed this a fair bit. It just didn't compare to Glover for me.

3. Kula World - “Hell”
    Amiga Intro just went on and on and on. I was really surprised to see that it was only three minutes. It wasn't bad, just just dragged and felt a bit dull. It was what I expected from a racing game, and being what I'd expect did not work in its favour. I haven't heard a lot of Kula World tracks, but I know I've liked some of the other tracks better. I still like this well enough, but I feel like a different choice would have been better. This one felt a bit repetitive and drawn out too. Kula World gets my vote for being cool and pleasant, but I didn't love either.

I have never played a GTA game (although I did grab one on sale to try it), and Forever still made me feel super nostalgic. Neopets track was pleasant enough. It was kind of just background noise though, and definitely on the bland side.

5. Flight - “Soaring in the Stars”
    Much like the actual movie, I found the Lethal Weapon track corny but enjoyable. Flight was exciting and fun and magical and I now want to play the hell out of this.

This is the hardest one so far, both of these are fantastic.I'm going with the sheer beauty of Cerulean Woodlands, but it's not because I didn't love Chop the Dog. Genuinely disappointed at having to choose between these. Actually... this maybe wasn't that hard. I love both, but I knew after about thirty seconds of the Etrian Odyssey track that this was how I would vote.

7. Seiken Densetsu 3 - “Where Angels Fear to Tread”
    Right off the bat, Where Angels Fear To Tread is sort of haunting, mesmerising, beautiful. Even when it picks up, it's still enchanting. Great Glacier was pretty, peaceful, pleasant. I enjoyed it a lot and it might have won against a different track, but it just didn't captivate me in the same way.

I normally really like Kingdom Hearts tracks, but this one just didn't grab me. It was pleasant, but nothing in particular stood out. The Metal Gear Solid track was a lot more interesting to me, and I enjoyed it a fair bit.

Blog Entries

match #1
    vib ribbon - universal dance: great restless energy to this. the percussion sounds fantastic, holding down a joyously boundless beat but feeling light as air while managing to keep it's feet on the ground, there's a tangible weight to the smash of the kick and snare , like the track's exuberantly beating heart, not content to just keep beat but to assert the beat and raise the entire track higher, fervently pulsing. the vocals are obscured to their favor, acting almost as an organic synth intertwining with the array of other sounds at play here, whirring and whining and slithering through the cracks in the groove instead of bouncing atop it. really fun and colorful with great dense textures. the little moments where the track winds itself down only to burst again only further express the pure excitement of the track. seems very fitting to it's source and on it's own holds together wonderfully. really dig it.
    vs.
    silent hill - blood tears: compositionally speaking this is a decent and pretty track, plucking through somber arpeggios as dreary horns evoke a fog around the lead, refusing clarity, but what really stands out is the actual textural approach. i've always loved n64/ps1 style midi sounds, they always sound not quite real, like plastic, but in a good way, like an earnest evocation of emotion interpreted by computers, using sounds that approximate real instruments but cant fully replicate them. i love it so, and that particular bias pushes this track up in my favor quite a bit more. what could have been a typical melancholy track - albeit a pretty one and in the context of this type of game, probably holds a substantial significance in it's style and emotional value - turns so much more real by being so genuinely fake, spinning eternally on a phonograph tucked away where nobody will ever hear it. hauntingly otherwordly, thanks to well-utilized limitations.

hard choice but i will have to say vib-ribbon

match #2
    glover - atlantis realm 2: sometimes a simple chord progression is enough to stop me in my tracks. as soon as i was exposed to the wafting opening i was utterly stunned, as though i'd stumbled upon some magical world or grand treasure, like the feeling of fates being realized, revelation being met, and from there it only gets better, the lo-fi looped beat setting the tone and feeling like the moment of engagement with everything around you, spelunking ever deeper into this mystery, the smarty muted synths and winds never desiring to take center stage and instead their flourishes are absorbed by the massive cloud of sound that initiated everything, cheezy guitars occasionally laying down and subtly increasing intensity without foolishly attempting to assert themselves at risk of shattering the consistency of everything. the single whistling synth line that actually peeks from out of the atmosphere does fine at acting almost like a beam of light peering through the mist, playing at different octaves at different intervals. the two moments when the track gives way to greater minimalism are fairly timed, though the bass breakdown is a bit strange given it's brevity and placement in the track. the softer moments where the beat falls away evoke david wise's dkc soundtracks and work fine as a juxtaposition to make the moments when the beat drops again hit even harder than before. a glorious monotony i could dip into and explore for eons. unspeakably awe-inspiring.
    vs.
    valis III - nirvan road: sounds extremely tense yet ambitious, like the final leg of a grand adventure, every piece of percussion ricocheting and knocking into others, various fractured sounds zipping into frame and dissipating like shooting stars. the main synth is constantly ascending even when it's falling, somehow, soaring and zig zagging through every crevice in the cluttered space, occasionally itself clashing with the track but in a way that serves it's business, as it climbs up the track. the moments when the jittery mina line sustains as the track inverts itself and the percussion becomes the lead is very well executed and gives the tracks a solid parallel that feels evern more instense as the initial excitable energy is supplemented with a pure hammering tension, only thus far momentarily implied with the patient falling keys that tag each few beats. talking about every individual element here would demand more blatherring then id assume people wanna trudge through so suffice to say this is a finely tuned work where each piece seems to have it's purpose well-defined and it's overall chemistry is undeniable, orchestrating beauty and danger with extraordinary control.
    insane match, but i'm going with glover.

match #3
    lotus esprit turbo challenge - amiga intro: i've asserted my appreciation, even perhaps infatuation with the textural qualities of certain vgm eras that can help raise compositions purely in their unique capturing of a style. this however proves there are exceptions to this rule. none of these sounds are intruigingly mystifying, rather they're just dopey and dull. that's genuinely one of the sloppiest dinky bass lines i've ever heard, it sounds like a free-to-download soundfont, and god it's so prominent throughout. the rest barely fares better, guitars assuming poor impersonations of the sharp textures found on genesis but without alot of the required density they kinda just blend with everything else and they honestly sound like RAWK GUITARS straight outta some wrestling game of this era. the drums are so innocuously standard of this kinda track that i've nothing to say of them even as a drum freak. they're drums. *shrug*. ultimately this is about as standard and forgettable as vgm gets and not even the charming plasticity of old console midis could save it.
    vs.
    kula world - hell: hell? this is more like a slinky spy movie intro than anything, nonetheless instantly the track slips into a groove that is ever expanding, hitting this sick tight yet oddly sludgy minimal percussive funk feel, danceable and subtly off-kilter. a track meant to evoke hell should probably attempt to hammer the low piano notes harder or let it's squirmy bass warbling raise in volume, but the anticipatory quality to it harbors it's own positive qualities, constantly bubbling while never outright bursting outward, it's a hodgepodge of textures befitting a concotion of pure anxiety, implying more than outright offering chaos. which in it's own way may perfectly outline the feeling of "hell". the track's highlight is absolutely that funky drum though, beyond that actual steady march through the madness that it keeps steady, it just SOUNDS so good, like real full drum sounds, pumping bass drum and a lightly shaking cymbal tapped so delicately and yet somehow adding so much to the groove and keeps this from feeling like a formless bubble, eventually beginning to work together and the light taps turn to more definitive shimmers and the snare rolls ascend towards something that you never get to see. potent stuff.

easily, point goes to kula world.

match #4
    grand theft auto III - forever: my brain simply wont register this as vgm even though i know it is given a bit of context. it's pretty chill, good loungey vibe that swirls together various muted instruments and atmospheric passages, the acoustics sound a bit cheap though, more like a sample than anything else. again maybe contradicting my previous adoration of this kinda thing. what can i say sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. this track does seem content on letting everything intentionally blend to support the pure wave of this track as opposed to stuff in a bunch of substantial melodies, letting keys act as bass and quick descents of piano flourish the track. the vocals honestly feel superfluous and ultimately detrimental to me, as though they were an afterthought, and they fall so far behind the track that i'm confused as to what purpose they serve. they barely work as an instrument and more simply clash with the feel at play. nonetheless totally listenable and relaxed given the great synths that pioneer the carefree vibe. i do wish the piano had a little more prominence given the clearness of it's sound, really helped offer a component to play through the atmosphere instead of just mix into it. fair though.
    vs.
    neopets - ice cream machine: i was so much closer to digging this than i'd presumed. it aligns with much of the effects-coated summery guitar pop that i gobble up gleefully but it's laid on too thick and goes from a nice treat to diabetes-inducing sugariness and becomes kinda exhausting. still the immediate jubilance and bounce and the actual guitar sound is kinda infectious and the layering works in a few places, some of the lead guitar lines feel poorly thought out but a few are actually pretty solid. there's certainly not much to be said here but points for at least standing out and what it nearly acheives is more impressive than i could have figured. ultimately it becomes a burden in it's refusal of simplicity though. also the solo is goddamned stupid. i'm not a solo crazy guy anyway but i know where they fit and don't, and well here? no sir.

point goes to gta III

match #5
    lethal weapon - mission 4: hmm yes this is a SNES Tune. the sustaining notes that shift between lead and second synth sound good and build a grandiosity to the track, as do the moments when every synth holds and the drums accelerate. there's a good control of mood here and the main melody the lead synth enters alongside the bass ramping up into a full noodling groove away from the creeping groove is also impressive, the track really calls your attention and then lays itself down once this is accomplish. this is not particularly exceptional but what it does it accels at, even if it's ultimately standard snes fare in my view. there are moments that feel mega man esque though i honestly feel it's not in the favor of the track's overall trajectory and it's better suited to it's intial vibe which contains a greater sense of filmic drama, a bit more real i guess. that way that main synth line bends a bit in one place is one of my favorite parts, it's hard to explain but it feels tense, that instant leap in octaves like something is escalating. it feels exciting and dangerous. a cool track for what it is, thumbs up.
    vs.
    flight - soaring in the stars: i do enjoy vgm that evokes local news broadcasts. no that's not sarcasm, i really really actually do, and this purely embodies that to me, it's grandiose yet inviting and not intimidating - well not at first - and it instantly shimmers and sparkles while establishing a solid groove and angelic synths, horns spurting triumphantly and reaching sky high. the track's more minimal moments shift away from it's strengths a bit but it's constantly playful and it's groove never loses footing. when things do get more dramatic it feels like a mood whiplash that isn't fully earned in the context of the track alone, and the way it attempts to travel back to it's original vibe is a bit clumsy, but overall there's a weightless quality to this one - fitting given the game it's attached to - that is hard to shake and man do i love when it's full on cheesy opening local city montage tunage. unique and fun.

point for flight

match #6
    grand theft auto V - chop the dog: a smorgasbord of alot of delicious elements, there's a grand fusion of organic and synthetic to be had here, so many different percussive instruments from both sides rolling together into a big unstoppable beat, every utterance of the bass a redefining roar, and goddamn that saxophone. i love sax in perhaps every atmosphere but combined with this fantastically dark electro jazz tune it's just absolutely scrumptious, such a full sound and played with delight and fervor. the little wormy synths that slither upon the track have less impact but also do little to stop what's already such a monster of a track. the moment the stunning piano chords and aforementioned dancing sax spurts come in is just so fantastic. a top notch tune here, absorbing so many styles and yet never feeling improbable in it's execution, leaving alot of open spaces for new elements to play around but never leaving you wanting. expert stuff.
    vs.
    etrian odyssey IV - labyrinth I: cerulean woodlands: totally pleasant and unassuming, feels like worries being washed away at least momentarily, though admittedly this thing is also extremely syrupy, it's loungey and yet could score the soap operaeist (sure that's a word kaos) of video games, not a subtle string in the bunch, they whimper so definitively and without any seeming shame. the way it begins very calming and with but momentary flutters of flute among a grazing lead piano and then suddenly gets coated with these frankly absurd strings is so interesting. it's like an rpg town theme turned into a relationship drama. i don't think this shift is detrimental though, it's striking and inverts the track substantitally and takes what maybe should be subtle and forgoes that, but it somehow manages to be achingly sincere and let its moments of softer introspection succeed too. it's like exploring the relaxing mind, every relaxation comes with it's anxieties and frail premonitions. like the eye of the storm that can only last so long. pretty stunning.

very hard match but ultimately i'm going with gta V

match #7
    seiken densetsu 3 - where angels fear to tread: love haunting snes winds and paranoid arpeggios that mindlessly repeat until abruptly breaking apart then reforming, flutes ascending and roaming. this atmosphere is solid and it holds out through the track, but there's really not alot for me to say about this one. i like the way it builds and the sounds become more clear, as though they break through a dense fog, and the way the track gradually decelerates before falling to the ground and taking off with a rolling snare feels good, like adventure is afoot. i do much prefer the minimal etheral vibes that initiate the track, though that final spooky note is striking too. this seems to encapsulate everything you'd be expected to engage in a game like this, from gazing at what to expect to experiencing it head on, so i give it credit for accuracy in that regard. solid tune. need that mystic opening on longer loop though.
    vs.
    pokemon mystery dungeon gates to infinity - great glacier: spritely flutes placed against driving bass and snare rolls does craft an interesting and likely telling parallel, appearing innocent and inviting but inevitably throwing you into a grand and perilous journey to face an onslaught of dangers. there's not much to say here either. it's okay, i don't really care for most pokemon music but the constant whirring bass and percussive stabbing strings are a good touch, especially the strings which sound like theyre constantly waiting to jump forth, not so much excitably as fearfully, like theyre trying to alert you of something. the bells that color the opening and certain bridges sound good but they're a bit muted so their potency is lost. better than average for this franchise with more character but when it loses it's intensity it becomes pretty faceless.

point for seiken densetsu 3

match #8
    kingdom hearts 3d: dream drop distance - l'oscurita dell'ignoto: big fan of the doomful organ that skitters into this track. once it gets going, it's a relentless pulsing orchestral barrage, befitting of what i thiiiink is a final battle (if i'm wrong i'm sorry best friend who love kingdom hearts). it swells with desperation but harbors an aligning determination, it's duality gathering both sides of what such an encounter should. i wouldn't say it's particularly inspired although it's certainly pretty and its lead does stand out, crying out in simultaneous hopelessness and defiance to fail. this could have been alot weaker without that lead and a few small flourishes but thankfully it becomes the "kingdom hearts version" of this sort of thing, imbued with more nuance and not content to only insinuate a single vibe. pretty good though not something i desire hearing on its own very often.
    vs.
    metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty - sons of liberty main titles: very cool industrial atmosphere and metallic bass here, along some brighter synths and extremely cheesy but interestingly underplayed metal guitars honking underneath the beat. i just dig this vibe alot, it definitely feels like slithering through enclosed spaces and evading danger, it's bubbling bassy foundation very infectious, sort of bouncing around my head, feels like - yeah again - a dkc soundtrack, specifically one of the sewer levels of dkc 3 comes to mind. there's one odd little pulse that pops in without warning in each four bars once the track builds and it really calls attention to the track in a unique way, it feels so out of place as far as musical orchestration but in that way almost works better, it's really neat. good track, very up my alley.

kinda hard but ill go with metal gear solid 2.
    Last edited by tyler; 12-06-2015 at 09:38 AM.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

Time for some last minute votes!
    Match #1
    vs.
    Silent Hill - “Blood Tears”
    Universal Dance has CRINGEWORTY vocals, but the instrumental parts are pretty good, i guess. Blood Tears is great. It sounds sad, relaxing, and ominous at the same time, which is pretty cool.
    Match #2
    vs.
    Atlantis Realm 2 is soothing, if a bit generic, but i prefer Nirvan Road's energetic sound better.

Match #3
    vs.
    Kula World - “Hell”
    Hell is a nice, tense piece. It can't compare to the Esprit song, an AWESOME rocker.

Match #4
    vs.
    Forever... GUH! So bland! Ice Cream Machine is fun. Not a winner, but it can stick around.
    Match #5
    vs.
    Mission 4 is good, with typical 16-bit synth-orchestra, but Soaring In The Stars... An AWESOME song! Very whimsical, and managed to rock out, even with orchestra instruments! It sounds awesome overall! I think it should get pretty far.
    Match #6
    vs.
    This one's really tough. Chop The Dog's an interesting electronic piece, while Labyrinth is nice and chill. I guess Chop The Dog is a bit better.
    Match #7
    vs.
    This is really tough too! Both are really nice orchestra pieces! I guess Great Glacier is a tad better, but both can stick around.
    Match #8
    vs.
    The main titles are good, but the Kingdom Hearts song is great! It is in the same symphonic rock vein as the Flight song, and works well!
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Thread Information