Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 110 of 110



Thread: Most underhated episode?



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #91
    miss queen pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Forest of Illusion
    Posts
    5,789
    Blog Entries
    12


    The Regina Monologues and A Star is Born, Again. The former was the first episode I shut off and the latter was the first ep that had me actively checking how much time it had left until it was over.

    Both are boring as fuck but Regina takes the cake in legitimately boring me to tears.

  2. #92


    I still feel that Alone Again Natura-Diddly, while never liked, is often overlooked while people complain about episodes that where nowhere near as bad like the Principal and the Pauper. At least Pauper had a reset button at the end and didn't change the status quo.
    Alone Again changed Flanders's character, permanently, for the worse. It wasn't just about Maude. It affected the whole family that lived next door to OFF. Plus this episode sucked in every way imaginable. Sappy music cues saying when we should feel sad immediately following obnoxious Jerkass Homer behavior feels jarring. Homer's near complete lack of sympathy. The way they killed Maude was unbelievably stupid and tacky. Flanders apparently ready to date way too soon after his wife's death feels way out of character. The whole tone is awful. It tries to tug at your heartstrings and fails. It tries to make you laugh and fails. You really can't do both at the same time. I have no words to describe my contempt for this episode. And it reeks of desperation. The whole thing feels like a cheap gimmick, a ratings trap.
    Last edited by Jerkass Scully; 07-14-2019 at 02:34 PM.

  3. #93
    Plenty moist Financial Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    26,193
    Blog Entries
    28


    I don’t mind it. And what’s wrong with Flanders being ready to date again? There’s no rule saying you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can start again.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

  4. #94


    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I don’t mind it. And what’s wrong with Flanders being ready to date again? There’s no rule saying you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can start again.
    I guess there's no rule. It just felt wrong to me. But I remember this being one of the first episodes I hated, and I was just a kid then. I hated then and still hate it now.

  5. #95
    Pin Pal bboynexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    399


    I firmly believe that Alone Again, Natura-Diddily is the worst episode of the series. The callousness is off the charts and I absolutely loath it.


  6. #96
    seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    443


    Agreed. The behind the scene reason for it is also annoying. You have a pay dispute so you kill off a character rather than recast? It's dumb.

    I also really dislike Dog of Death. Santa's little helper didn't get sick on purpose and the family was so cruel to him after the operation. It was the first episode to me where the whole family was unlikable. I'm a big fan of animals so that's part of it but I maintain that the family was ooc and spiteful.

  7. #97


    What To Expect When Bart's Expecting is another one of my least favorites. Even The Greatest Story Ever D'ohd had a more well thought out and coherent plot, and better jokes. I don't remember laughing one time in WTEWBE.

    It seems like when discussing bad episodes, everyone forgets this one exists.

  8. #98
    Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,817
    Blog Entries
    11


    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    What To Expect When Bart's Expecting is another one of my least favorites. Even The Greatest Story Ever D'ohd had a more well thought out and coherent plot, and better jokes. I don't remember laughing one time in WTEWBE.

    It seems like when discussing bad episodes, everyone forgets this one exists.
    Instead of "Greatest Story", a better comparison for a more hated episode would be "Rome-old and Juli-Eh". Why did I pick that one? Because people always rag on the latter for the stupid prediction in "Gump Roast" coming true. No one seems to pick on "What To Expect" for the stupid prediction in "Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase" coming true ("MAGIC POWERS!").

    Also, I got far more laughs out of "Rome-old" anyway. it's one of those episodes I want to hate but I just laughed at too many moments for me to be able to hate it fully. "What To Expect" didn't get anywhere near as many laughs out of me.

  9. #99


    With the risk of pointing out the absolutley fucking obvious, at this point the series has so many godawful episodes that it would be impossible for all of them to acchieve the infamy they deserve.

  10. #100
    Pin Pal
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    288


    'Alone Again, Naturally-Diddily' is one of the worse episodes in the show's history, but I think it's been getting a justified about of hate as of late.

    So I'll say 'Brake My Wife, Please', where Marge becomes a border-line domestic abuser in the third act, intentionally hitting Homer with her car then kicking his crutch away so he falls over. (shout out to 'The Strong Arms of the Ma' too, where she becomes a rapist. Did season 14 hate Marge?)

  11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

  12. #101
    miss queen pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Forest of Illusion
    Posts
    5,789
    Blog Entries
    12


    Large Marge exists because the writers got super horny one day and it absolutely does not get enough hate for degrading the title character in the way it does.


  13. #102
    Grotesque Nitsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    4,039


    Good point about Season 14. A lot of bad Marge episodes in that season.
    Get woke, go broke

  14. #103
    My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    14,696
    Blog Entries
    403


    Catch 'Em If You Can is one of the first genuinely horrific episodes of the series for me, yet it seems to have a pretty decent reputation overall. All of the main characters are absolutely unbearable, especially Homer and Marge. It should get a lot more hate for sure.

    Barthood I was hopeful for since it's one of the few from the HD era that got universally praised, but... I just don't get it. It was boring as hell, the jokes weren't funny and it felt emotionally phoney in the way it tried to tug at your heartstrings. Bart acts like an annoying whiney teenager throughout, and Lisa has to screw him over again as usual. They tried to remedy it at the end, but it felt forced, and let me just say I HATE the constant future match-ups of Lisa & Milhouse or Lisa & Nelson. I thought it was already explained in Lisa's Date With Density why she and Nelson don't work as a couple, and even though Lisa always turns out successful they still insist on putting her in a miserable marriage with Milhouse. Why?

    Coming To Homerica was dull and just a poor retread of A Tale Of Two Springfields.

    Milhouse Of Sand And Fog isn't talked about much, but I really can't stand the plot. You're not allowed to be happy about Kirk and Luanne getting back together since that causes them to neglect their child instead. Also, how about we then turn the plot around to become another Homer and Marge marriage crisis story? Seriously? At least in A Milhouse Divided it was still funny and felt much less contrived.

    Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life. This is one of the worst Marge & Lisa centric stories. It has potential to be sweet, but Lisa is a meanspirited asshole throughout, right until the very end. That ending might be one of the worst in the entire series. It perfectly demonstrates the writers' complete lack of selfawareness: We can never be on Lisa's side when she's this smug and condescending. Please actually give her some crap occasionally when she's being a selfish jerk. I don't like either how it makes Marge out to be a hopeless loser. Sure she might be a housewife, but she's still a champion who cares deeply about her husband and kids and would do everything for them.
    Also, the subplot doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Bart is just suddenly physically stronger than Nelson for no reason, and keeps hurting him by accident apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

  15. #104
    .
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the corner
    Posts
    1,163
    Blog Entries
    5


    Engh, for the Lisa/Nelson thing, I'm on the fence. Partly because at least throughout the modern era it feels like nobody's right for Lisa and they all deserve better. But at the same time, Nelson is a far more natural fit for Lisa. Density made it apparent they couldn't work because Lisa couldn't make him change his ways, but in the last scene of Barthood they do establish he's not only turning over a new leaf but trying to make amends (namely, paying back the lunch money he stole throughout the years). If anything it almost feels like there could be kind of a plot if they did something similar to barthood for Nelson.

    Milhouse of Sand and Fog is definitely one of those episodes that I've got a distaste for on the same level as My Big Fat Geek Wedding. One of the best things about seasons 7&8 I think were various little things that stuck and added to their characters, and then in the Jean era most of those got rolled back for no real gain at all. Milhouse having divorcee parents was an interesting angle before they boiled him down to Lisa's stalker and would probably explain why he'd act out so weirdly all the time (the Van Houtens' marriage was always rocky) it's just the concept alone bugs me.
    Season 31 just sucked.

  16. #105
    No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    867-5309
    Posts
    786


    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post

    Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life. This is one of the worst Marge & Lisa centric stories. It has potential to be sweet, but Lisa is a meanspirited asshole throughout, right until the very end. That ending might be one of the worst in the entire series. It perfectly demonstrates the writers' complete lack of selfawareness: We can never be on Lisa's side when she's this smug and condescending. Please actually give her some crap occasionally when she's being a selfish jerk. I don't like either how it makes Marge out to be a hopeless loser. Sure she might be a housewife, but she's still a champion who cares deeply about her husband and kids and would do everything for them. Also, the subplot doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Bart is just suddenly physically stronger than Nelson for no reason, and keeps hurting him by accident apparently.
    It is typical for a Lisa has a huge head episode not end with her with her comeuppance. She gets a pass a lot. Then again Bart would have been put in juvenile detention for some of his crap too, but Lisa gets a way with a lot. Lisa the Veterinarian is a prime example of where she think she can do no wrong. Bart even reminds her that shes not a veterinarian and she blows him off. Her arrogance causes the death of an animal. Don't get me on Lisa the Vegitarian. No Lisa, Homer right. You wrong. Homer shouldn't have had to apologize because the party had nothing to do with her.

    For the Lisa-Marge episodes, the episode I look at that bugs me is "The Marge-Ian Chronicles." Btw, Bart would have kicked ass in an episode about going to Mars as it would be a way for him to away from Homer but that's for another rant. Let's start off with the task. Marge saw it as chores. Since it was repetitive busy work. Lisa then whines its science. Well Lisa she just science her plants to the roof. Marge whistled while she worked. Lisa though oh my God she enjoys this. When they planned to leave early, when Marge blamed, Lisa attacked not understanding maybe that this is crazy and they weren't ready to go to Mars. The show has never really dealt with how Lisa thumbs her nose down at Marge. She seems to forget that Marge was actually an excellent student and quiet smart. When Lisa gets challenged, she gets defensive, hostile and quiet vicious.
    Origi corner taken quickly.

  17. #106
    Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    747


    Glad to see I'm not the only one who genuinely dislike Milhouse of Sand and Fog. And for the concept alone who retconed an interesting breaking of the status quo and for the episode itself which is boring, unfocused and even unpleasant to watch as far as I'm concerned (the whole first act). I'd save the hilarious scene where Homer gets fired, though.

  18. #107
    My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    14,696
    Blog Entries
    403


    Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    Don't get me on Lisa the Vegetarian. No Lisa, Homer right. You wrong. Homer shouldn't have had to apologize because the party had nothing to do with her.
    I disagree about this one. It's true the party didn't have anything to do with her, but he was kinda acting like a dick towards her because she decided to become a vegetarian. Lisa was in the wrong because she ruined Homer and his friends' party while Homer was wrong for not respecting her decision to become a vegetarian, which is what drove her to do that in the first place.

  19. #108
    Stonecutter John95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mauston, WI
    Posts
    1,234


    Well, since nobody's brought it up yet I'll call out Thanksgiving of Horror, which succeeded at being worse than this seasons actual THoH!

    Leaving out the whole Russi Taylor thing, as it's been mentioned before this episode pretty much embodies everything that everyone hates about the modern THoH's, and yet for some reason this one gets a free pass despite feeling even more half-baked than most of those! And because we're getting so much mean spiritedness and forced gore in an episode about a holiday that usually doesn't have anything to do with it, we get an episode that's as terrible as Miracle on Evergreen Terrace in terms of how it perfectly embodies how mixing such a tone with holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas makes for a failed combo that almost never works!

    The only segment that's at least tolerable is the second one and only because that one felt like there was more of a point to it besides seeing how much pointless bloodshed and mascaraing they could get away with in eight minutes. And even then, it's a weaker House of Whacks with an ending that's just abrupt and confusing.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: TBD


  20. #109
    No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    867-5309
    Posts
    786


    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I disagree about this one. It's true the party didn't have anything to do with her, but he was kinda acting like a dick towards her because she decided to become a vegetarian. Lisa was in the wrong because she ruined Homer and his friends' party while Homer was wrong for not respecting her decision to become a vegetarian, which is what drove her to do that in the first place.
    Ok. I respect your opinion but I'll tell you how I see it. She owes him an apology for wrecking the party. Only thing I think Homer owes her is to promise her is he would try to respect her wishes to be a vegetarian. You see, she didn't like it when Homer couldn't understand her wishes. So she went out to destroy his party. A party he worked hard on. She didn't like when Bart or the kids at school robbed her. When she offers gazpacho and they boo her she gets mad. She went out of her way to wreck the party. Understand Homer is an ass but I just don't think he was not wrong.

    Think about this though, if it wasn't for her we would never have known, "You don't win friends with salad." I say that is good advice.

  21. #110
    Your typical fan Simpson's Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    401
    Blog Entries
    1


    I think that "The Daughter Also Rises", "Friend With Benefit" and "Paths Of Glory" are some episodes that were really overlooked.

    The Daughter Also Rises: Okay, from first glance, this seems like a normal "Lisa falls in love with a boy" storyline, but it actually manages to not only be repetitive, but also really stupid. I would argue that Nick is one of the most uninteresting characters as we know almost nothing about him and yet he still manages to seem a little stupid and play it superior to Lisa. Not only does Lisa fall for him, but they decided to write Marge as this overly protective person in the thought of her daughter kissing a boy for the first time, which I can at least buy a little, but I can never forgive the writers for making Lisa seem so stupid.

    Paths Of Glory: This episode seemed interesting at first, but laterite took a whole different direction. They made Homer and Marge think that Bart is sociopath and instead of having Bart at least prove them wrong, they had him taking advantage from this and later clarifying him on the wrong side of things for a simple misunderstanding! This is just insane and annoying!

    Friend With Benefit: Seemingly a "Lisa makes a new friend" episode, but with the difference that this episode has Lisa's new friend being the controlling one, who apparently gets upset for no reason at all. I find it difficult to believe that they ended their friendships just because Lisa didn't accept a gift that she explained the reason why she couldn't!



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •