Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Most underhated episode?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    But he was remorseful. He was bothered and disturbed. Later than what you might expect, because he didn't realize his errors quickly. But once he is aware of what he did, he instantly confesses it to the crew, and repeats once and again to his family how sorry he is.
    Well yes, he did get remorseful in the end and it felt just like what he would do. I just think it felt off that he didn't get burdened with remorse sooner and until his trick was discovered. Still, it wasn't something I took offense with, I just felt that it should have come sooner.

I can't see where it is mean-spirited either. I perfectly understand the actions and reactions of Bart and the family. Maybe the crew was quite harsh but I've never had problems with one-time characters being mean-spirited. The family behaves as I'd expect and that's what matters.
    It was not that the crew was mean-spirited (I generally don't mind one-timers being assholes) as much as it was too over the top harsh leaving the family in the frozen wastes as opposed to give them a more sensible punishment (such as being confined to their room, as said). But yes, the family was well portrayed as a whole, finding joy in something despite their predicament, and that was good (though Marge throwing a giant snowball at Bart's head was a bit too over the top, I felt).

I can understand why you said it's cartoonish but I think it's one of those situations where that style improves the story and it doesn't feel out-of-place. I love they have gone to the Antarctic, I love the reaction of the family, I love their interactions with the penguins, and as I said, I love the moral. Sure, it's not a realistic outcome of a casual trip to the coldest place on Earth, but I don't think this is supposed to be taken seriously and I don't care at all how they escape from there and how they survived there. You can find it incoherent or outlandish, but I think it's not important when it was a perfect place to develop the ending they wanted to.
    I will admit that It was not as cartoonish as it could have been due to the silly nature of that last act. I actually don't mind the penguin sledding end as much as I did when I first watched as I do find it a suitable goofy end all things considered and as said, the family finding happiness in their predicament was nice. It was a little too unrealistic and over the top happy go lucky for my taste (though I've come to accept it) and I would have preferred another final scene (where it shows how they made it out of there without freezing to death). I probably wanted a little bit more realism and a better, fairer end for the family instead of going all Scully silly.

Of course, I respect your opinion too, by the way. I guess it's one of those episodes that you love or hate, but you are not indifferent to it.
    Well, we all have different opinions in some way and that's fine. Besides, I don't hate the episode, I just find it alright (so no bottom episode list for me, in case you wonder). Up until that over the top final act it is a good episode, like I said.

Blog Entries

I think HOMR actually gets a substantial amount of hate on this forum, yet I actually like it. Sure it impacts LTS In continuity but when it comes to the plot, it's quite good. And when I compare it to other episodes in that season, it's one of the stronger ones.
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/Love Is A Many Strangled Thing, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Last Traction Hero, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts, S32: Treehouse Of Horror XXXI/The 7 Beer Itch.

SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON SO FAR
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5
    The Road to Cincinnati: ?/5, Sorry Not Sorry: ?/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: ?/5

My dad likes HOMR. He doesn't even really the The Simpsons, but he remembers and likes that particular episode.

My dad's taste kinda sucks.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

It's just an insulting concept that went against everything the show represented.
    It doesn't matter if it was perfectly executed (and it wasn't).

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see how the episode goes against what The Simpson's stands for. I also find your defense for Lisa The Simpson illogical. They literally have a doctor flat out state that The Simpson's Gene Is in fact real. There's no way it's just Grandpa's ramblings. HOMR is a sweet and heartwarming episode that doesn't come anywhere near doing the permanent damage that Lisa The Simpson does. I fail to see how HOMR could somehow be more damaging than Lisa The Simpson.
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 5/5
    The 7 Beer Itch- 2/5
    Podcast News- 5/5
    Three Dreams Denied- 1/5

The show evolves. It has permanently evolved. Marge vs. The Monorail, Last Exit to Springfield, and Cape Feare went against everything the show represented in the first seasons. Same with The Springfield Files and The Mysterious Voyage of Our Homer. The idea of the crayon would have been inconceivable in the first years (at least in the first three years) but there are a lot of other "classic episodes" that wouldn't be either, and I can't see why HOMR is punished and, let's say, Deep Space Homer isn't.
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 4/5 / I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The Seven Beer Itch - 1/5
    Podcast News - 4/5 / Three Dreams Denied - ?/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - ?/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - ?/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - ?/5

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    HOMR is a sweet and heartwarming episode that doesn't come anywhere near doing the permanent damage that Lisa The Simpson does. I fail to see how HOMR could somehow be more damaging than Lisa The Simpson.
    I have to disagree with this. "HOMR" is not heartwarming. The note and hug scene was cute at best. If Homer and Lisa interacted through the entire episode, that'd be one thing. But Homer was in a lot more scenes without Lisa than with, so the hug feels rushed. Contrast this with "Lisa the Greek," where the two were together much much more. Or "Lisa's Pony," where even when Homer wasn't physically with Lisa, his motives were based entirely around her. Here, Homer becomes isolated because of his intelligence and is like "hmm, this must be how Lisa feels..."

Also, the pacing isn't good. Homer doesn't get to the testing center until nearly the halfway mark. The Animotion plot should've been trimmed down, or thrown away entirely, And that extra time could've been used for more Homer/Lisa bonding, ergo, a well-earned hug at the ending.

Blog Entries

@714MatchesFound I'll admit that HOMR does have pacing issues, as a lot of Scully episodes do, but I don't think it makes the emotion feel unearned. It's well executed enough that it doesn't necessarily need a whole lot of build up to land, although it probably would've benefited from it. I still prefer the crayon explanation to The Simpson Gene because it doesn't doom Bart and all other Simpson males to be useless idiots that have absolutely no future.

@714MatchesFound I'll admit that HOMR does have pacing issues, as a lot of Scully episodes do, but I don't think it makes the emotion feel unearned. It's well executed enough that it doesn't necessarily need a whole lot of build up to land, although it probably would've benefited from it. I still prefer the crayon explanation to The Simpson Gene because it doesn't doom Bart and all other Simpson males to be useless idiots that have absolutely no future.
    I guess the crayon explanation would be the less frustrating of the two, and I'll admit it's one of Scully's better efforts, but I still pass the Simpson Gene off as Grandpa being senile. I mean c'mon, we've all seen Herb. What more evidence do we need?

I still like "Lisa the Simpson" better because as a whole, it's a great episode. It's got the heart, the comedy, proper characterization, and stellar voice acting (particularly Dan Castellaneta as all the Simpson family members). "HOMR" has the comedy too, and even some satire and parodies. It just doesn't;t feel as "uniquely Simpson-y" for lack of better word.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although I find the gene explanation too simplistic and I am not a huge fan of Lisa The Simpson it's still more simmilar to what we could actually thought by watching any other episode. Which is that Bart and Homer are not extremely bright because of a combination of their education and, yes, genes. What I don't buy it's that Homer can become extremely smart just by removing a crayon from his brain. Yes, Marge vs the Monorail is a lot more of outlandish than the regular season 2 episode but the characters were mostly believable. Same thing with Deep Space Homer. And yeah, Deep Space Homer was dumber than his season 2 self but still the episode was about relatable feelings, like Homer's desire to be worship as a hero by his companions and his own son. HOMR is different cause the whole emotional thing depends on a premise that's not very relatable, that a person could change from dumb to almost a genius from one day to another. And yes, LTS at least has some ambiguity to it, it's not 100% sure that the gene theory is real. It seems that it is, but the crayon thing is a lot more literal. Most people in Springfield are fallible, LTS also depends a lot of Lisa's vision, it could have been her seeing things in a little melodramatic way. Which brings another aspect of the episode I'm not a huge fan of, which is Lisa saying his father that she doesn't want to turn like him when he's just trying to be sweet...but it is still a better episode than HOMR, the atmosphere , the structure and the gags are all stronger.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Homer Simpson In Kidney Troublems i dont care that there are still people who dont like that episode they dont get enough hatred from this forum
    SEASON 32 - GRADES
    Undercover Burns - 3 / 5
    I Carambus - 4.5 / 5
    Now Musseum, Now You Dont - 1.5 / 5
    Treehouse of horror XXXI: Toy Gory 5 / 5 Into The Homer- Verse 3 / 5 Be Nine, Rewind 4 / 5
    The 7 Beer Itch - 0.5 / 5
    Podcast News - 3.5 / 5
    Three Dreams Denied - 2.5 / 5

Good ep the first act is comedy gold

Barting Over is horrendous. Bart's character is so lame, and this is the episode that really just made me realize Bart's character is ruined

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcurdling Sandurt View Post
    Barting Over is horrendous. Bart's character is so lame, and this is the episode that really just made me realize Bart's character is ruined
    i hate that episode but not because of bart's characterization, i don't think he was that out of character in that episode. the problem with that episode is that it tries to be serious and emotional in the first two acts before just doing celebrity worship bullshit in the third act with some ridiculous zany scheme that doesn't fit at all and a forced resolution that comes only because the episode is about to end, as well as trying to both paint homer as this abusive demented sociopath and also this misunderstood man who's just trying to win back his son. and also the lack of good jokes in it. can't think of any.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Blog Entries

For Kidney Trouble, I hate it as much as the next guy
    For Barring, it felt like a cheap ploy of guest stars, it's one of the weaker episodes of Season 14, and overall, I don't like it.

'Barting Over' I like up until Tony Hawk shows up and it becomes a silly guest star vehicle topped with that ridiculous skateboard duel. Still, that first half is nice and has some good stuff. There are worse early Jean episodes that feature a celebrity, I feel.

'Kidney Trouble' has way more problems and is one I cannot forgive for being so over the top mean and cartoonish (but I like the western town stuff in the first act just fine, despite it not being that good or anything).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-28-2020 at 06:38 AM.

"E-I-E-I- Annoyed Grunt"

Usually if I dislike a fan favorite, I can at least understand why others like it. But this one has me stumped. What's its appeal? Homer's in full jerkass mode. There's a wacky third act And it contradicts what happened to the farmhouse in "Grandpa vs Sexual Adequacy." A quintessential Scully episode.

I'll admit the "Sneed's" sign joke is amazing though.

Junior Camper

strongly disagree about e-i-e-i-doh. it's one of the absolute best post-classic episodes imo, i'd even rank it as better than some classics. i don't see how you can be so offended by jerkass homer if he literally gets SHOT at the end... i mean that goes way beyond everything he did before, lol.
    the continuity error with grampa vs. sexual inadequacy is very minor (who's to say it didn't just take place before that episode? nothing says it couldn't) and several such errors have happened since the show started, it doesn't really matter. the third act may be a bit ridiculous but it leads to lots of great gags and jokes and has a good satire of tobacco industry. the episode is just full of classic moments and the concept of "tomacco" is one thing that everyone seems to remember very well, because it's funny. the episode is down to its core a gagfest, but it's one of the most successful gagfest episodes of the series.

Blog Entries

EIEI-D'oh is one of the few Season 11 episodes I like. It's funny, I'd never really cared for the continuity issues, it has Tomacco, and all in all, it's a good episode.

I think 'E-I-E-I-D'oh' is a pretty decent episode. Season 11 doesn't have a lot of good episodes but I'd say it is one of those, even though it is not a favorite. Also, it has become one of the most memorable and popular post-classic episodes due to the Sneed's joke and how it turned into an internet meme of sorts.

EIEI D'oh is a very funny episode and one of the best of season 11 (that's not saying much though) but of course it couldn't stand to almost any episode from the first eight seasons.
    As I said, the episode is basically very funny in a ridiculous way even though it's non sensical.
    I would like it better if it actually had a proper resolution, the ending feels like the writers realized they already had a 22 minutes episode and said "let's make the family come back and Homer get shot" even though that was the reason they had left in the first place.

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

EIEI Doh is much better than average for season 11. There are plenty of worse episodes from that season far more "underhated" like Take My Wife Sleaze and Mansion Family. They're abysmal, but people don't seem to remember them or how bad they were. In fact I'd probably rate them even lower than Saddlesore and KTAAR.

Sounds here like E-I-E-I D'oh is loved for being a gagfest. I love gagfest episodes (Cape Feare), or episodes that are just a fun adventure with no real satire or emotion ("Lemon of Troy," "Bart on the Road," "Mountain of Madness," etc.). But this seems more like an episode where stuff just happens, rather than a well-crafted/structured story with the characters acting like themselves.

I'm quite aware this is considered one of better episodes of season 11. Though I may not agree, I contribute it to being a season 10 holdover. With the exception of "Beyond Blunderdome," the holdovers in 11 really shine.

Blog Entries

I can't hate 'Beyond Blunderdome' because I consider it to be one of the absolute funniest episodes of the entire series. E-I-E-I-D'oh is quite funny and Tomacco is iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    Sounds here like E-I-E-I D'oh is loved for being a gagfest. I love gagfest episodes (Cape Feare), or episodes that are just a fun adventure with no real satire or emotion ("Lemon of Troy," "Bart on the Road," "Mountain of Madness," etc.). But this seems more like an episode where stuff just happens, rather than a well-crafted/structured story with the characters acting like themselves.

I'm quite aware this is considered one of better episodes of season 11. Though I may not agree, I contribute it to being a season 10 holdover. With the exception of "Beyond Blunderdome," the holdovers in 11 really shine.
    I agree it's mostly stuff that happens, that's why Even though I find it funny I would never compare it to any episode from the first eight or even nine seasons.
    But at being funny I think it stands out in season 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    I agree it's mostly stuff that happens, that's why Even though I find it funny I would never compare it to any episode from the first eight or even nine seasons.
    But at being funny I think it stands out in season 11.
    I can't hate 'Beyond Blunderdome' because I consider it to be one of the absolute funniest episodes of the entire series. E-I-E-I-D'oh is quite funny and Tomacco is iconic.
    Perhaps episodes like these prove that Scully would've been better suited writing for Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny, where the characters are assholes, and comedy tops everything else.

Blog Entries

It could've also been a good FG episode, as that also puts comedy over anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    Perhaps episodes like these prove that Scully would've been better suited writing for Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny, where the characters are assholes, and comedy tops everything else.
    He was a good writer, just a bad choice to run the show. If we lose Scully, we lose some of the shows best episodes.

Thread Information