Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another worst jokes thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

So salty...Maybe if I add more salt.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

My brain... OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess this is supposed to be "cute" or whatever, but this is a prime example of the show shoehorning in a reference to something new just because they can. It's just as annoying as the original song.

Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

^Agreed. I don't like these kinds of "jokes" because it seems as if the writers are going through a checklist of trendy references to make sure the show stays up to date. It would be one thing if they made fun of it or parodied it in some way, but this isn't even that. It's just doing it, hopping on the bandwagon.
    Get woke, go broke

I wanna go with an unpopular opinion and say I liked the baby shark gag. I have nieces and nephews and they love that song, Personally I really hated that song, and I kinda still do, but i cant help it and I sing along now.
    Also, I study to became a filmmaker, Last year we were shotting a web series for class, and I recall someone in the crew who ALWAYS whistled that song at some point in EVERY ONE of the filmming days. It got stuck in everyone's mind. So probably the reason why I liked the joke was because it hit to close to home.

I found the Bird box's joke to be worse regarding trendy references
    Soon Season 31

I also quite liked the Baby Shark scene. It just shows the family enjoying a moment together, and they make fun of how tedious but irresistible is the song. What's the problem with that? Some references can be random and pointless, like the aforementioned one of Bird Box. But the one of the Baby Shark found a proper place and was funny and inoffensive.
    Last retrospective: Homer Defined (S03E05)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of Rick and Morty (completed!)

My project of rating and reviewing every episode of BoJack Horseman (last episode: Later)

Blog Entries

the baby shark is genuinely pretty cute, i really do like it.
    cheems

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I still really, really, really, REALLY fucking hate this joke:

Lisa: Are you crying glitter?
    Lady Gaga: Tiny diamonds. Hurts like hell.
    Funny thing, I actually thought that was the saving grace of the episode, mostly because of Gaga's monotone delivery. I like when characters describe how much pain they're in but say so in a non-enthusiastic voice.

I like the Baby Shark gag too, but the best part was when they sang it quietly later on following Smithers and Burns. I love when a joke is said once then said again much later after you've forgotten it (I think TV Tropes calls this a "Brick Joke")

But anyway, this line from "The Great Phatsby: Part 1" is my choice.

(Goosius swallows shrimp in one gulp)
    Homer: Awww, he eats the same way I do, without swallowing!

You mean "chewing", Homer? You can't really eat without swallowing. Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    I guess this is supposed to be "cute" or whatever, but this is a prime example of the show shoehorning in a reference to something new just because they can. It's just as annoying as the original song.

I agree with this one. It's not like they're skewering or commenting on the song at all. They're just embracing it lovingly, which is weirdly toothless and corny. It'll also feel incredibly dated basically already and from now on.
    Signature.

How about that Tik Tok opening from To Surveil With Love? Cringey as fuck.

Why do the season 7 writers believe "Rover Hendrix" to be among the worst jokes in the show's history? Do the find it too mean-spirited? Or just lazy writing? I didn't really have a problem with it.

Anyway, my pick would be when Nelson makes a profit from his bike business and says "Now I can have peanut butter AND jelly. Not peanut butter OR jelly."

Would've been funnier without that second sentence. The writers are spoon-feeding the "jokes" now.
    Last edited by 714MatchesFound; 06-21-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 714MatchesFound View Post
    Why do the season 7 writers believe "Rover Hendrix" to be among the worst jokes in the show's history? Do the find it too mean-spirited? Or just lazy writing? I didn't really have a problem with it.
    I believe Oakley said that they were running out of time and wish they could have come up with a better joke for the act break. I didn't think it was that bad of a joke

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mergie_S

Most of the ones where they try to be super edgy. Moe’s earlier suicide jokes were funnier because most of the time they were accurate, yet subtle. Funniest example is “I have lost the will to live” in “In Marge We Trust”, funny without dragging.

Blog Entries

I watched a scene from the episode "Hail To The Teeth", when Lisa is walking down the street and an old man comes up to her and says this:

Old man:"Hey little lady, you would be a lot prettier if you smiled"
    Lisa:"What? Who are you?"
    Old man:"I am a man! You know what I am talking about. You would be a lot prettier if you smiled!"
    Lisa:"Are you serious? You know I will remember this forever"
    Old man:"Well, that's what therapy is for."

I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke, which I believe it was, but it just wasn't funny. I don't know why the writers of the show think that these kind of random people telling random jokes to the characters are funny, but they just aren't.

Also, all the Gil jokes follow the same structure that after a while, it becomes unfunny and tiring to hear. I am not one of those people who hate Gil, I actually like the character very much and believe there are still opportunities for him on the show. But have the writers ever considered writing for Gil in a more... positive light.

I mean, even in cameos like in the most recent episode "Way Of The Dog", we see a desperate Gil that can't even pay the electricity to plug his TV on, which is actually pretty depressing.

Thread Information