Thread: Is new Family Guy THAT bad?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

Is new Family Guy THAT bad?

I'll admit, I haven't watched many episodes Family guy past the sixth season or so. However, I noticed that on TV.com, nearly every single one of the newer episodes (particularly the ones in the double-digit seasons) generally have scores between 2.5-6.9, which by that site's standards is horrible.

Are the newer episodes really THAT bad, or is it people who hate the show stuffing the votes?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Oh goody, another one of these threads. Anyways, the rule of thumb with TV.com is that it's not a trustworthy site. Not that IMDB is much better when it comes to ratings, but it's at least more trustworthy than TV.com ever will be. To answer your question though, I would've said yes if you asked this question when season 12 was the newest one, but now I think the show is getting better. There are still a few duds every now and then, but the bright spots in season 13 are far better than the ones in seasons 11-12 which I think were the shows lowest points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

you think THAT'S bad?!

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zelek View Post
    is it people who hate the show stuffing the votes?
    Yes.

I often wonder if people perceive the 1-10 ratings thing differently. Like, do some people think of it as being like school grades ("5 out of 10 is an F!") while others see it as being like rating someone's appearance ("she's cute, she's like a 6")?

With IMDB, the system doesn't seem to actually tally what people actually vote. It seems it comes up with its idea of "realistic" ratings, with the understanding that a lot of people will unrealistically give things "1" or "10" just because people aren't good at showing restraint.

I've also noticed that the non-US users on IMDB tend to rate American shows significantly lower than the Americans. Not surprising, but it's not merely a small factor in how the total rating is calculated. For many shows there are about as many non-US ratings as US ratings.

Banned

Yes.

Blog Entries

Yes and no. New Family Guy can range from good to absolutely godawful, so it really is a mixed bag most of the time. It hinges a lot on who the episode focuses on, and which version of Peter we get. If it's wacky Peter doing wacky things (like wearing gold chains and acting like a twelve year old because he found out his name was Justin, wtf?), you know it's more than likely going to suck.

Blog Entries

I like that even OSS has not gone full-on defense of the show.

Yes. It's pretty bad television. Family Guy has not done anything high concept in a while, so I think even that momentary drive is gone now.

I think it's on the same level as the Simpsons. That show may be boring, but it at least attempts to tell a story with characters. Family Guy uses a plot to hang cutaway gags that have a hit-and-miss ratio of a stormtrooper. So it really is a pick your poison: boredom w/ slight flavoring or just a flavorless gag fest.

Apparently I favor the latter more. It's just easier to digest for me. The Simpsons has been going on too long to the point of where it's just sad. FG has yet to reach that level yet, but will soon.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I think season 13 was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Voorhees View Post
    I think season 13 was good.
    I don’t think so. Family Guy wasn’t great after season 3 and wasn’t good after season 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeydavis View Post
    Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
    Lisa: Isn't that the wrong way?
    Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Blog Entries

From the little I've seen of AS rerunning new eps, it's better than the lowest it ever was, (like 6 or 7 years ago) and certainly better than Cleveland ever was, but it's still obnoxious.

but obnoxious is not an instant funny killer, just may not be for you. I have appreciated FG episodes the last couple years and there was a time I couldn't do that at all. Like South Park

Blog Entries

I don't find any of these review sites like TV.com and IMDB to be credible enough to bother. As for the show, season 9 is the season where I gave up on the show as it was just declining more and more to the point of being unwatchable. I did watch a good amount of season 10+ episodes out of either curiousity or boredom when there's nothing on TV, and most of these episodes are just as bad as I remembered. A couple of above average episodes like Turkey Guys was a good watch for its standards.

The show was never known for its good stories or characterisation, and their attempts to be emotional is just so bad and forced. It used to have its humor in the earlier seasons but even that has dissapeared by now, its just lazy random attempts at humor with no real thought behind it. Its a pity that the show got cancelled in its earlier seasons as they might've kept the quality a little longer, now its one of the few shows I'd like to see cancelled rather than continuing.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Blog Entries

i thought season 9 was a pretty big improvement over 7 and 8, easily among the worst seasons of the show. 9 had some shockingly watchable stuff

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

No and I always thought it was more interesting than HD era Simpsons. It's probably because every 3-4 years, they change the showrunners and some of the writing staff change as well which is why I am more in favor of newer FG over new Simpsons episodes. I will understand that the episode did get more violent in a not so good way as the animation getting stiffer, but I won't let those ruin my enjoyment. Just get rid of Tom Devanney and the show will be better.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Blog Entries

uh what's the big deal about tom devanney? and besides he turns 64 next year, he probably won't be on the staff for a whole lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Family Guy sucks balls

Blog Entries

finally the smug anime girl posters we deserve
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would rank it like this:

4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 8 > 13 > 10 > 12 > 9 > 11

Overall, season 11 is the only season I'd rank lower than a 7. I find it the most boring season of the show.

Season 1-8, 10 & 12 are all good or great. Season 9 is all right, but it's... flawed.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 10-30-2015 at 04:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

There's our OSS!
    *Laugh track*
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

Honestly, the only Family Guy episode i've watched was the Simpsons Guy, and that was great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Honestly, the only Family Guy episode i've watched was the Simpsons Guy, and that was great.
    Yeah sure, even though the Simpsons family was a little bit out of character and all major villains in Springfield turned into idiots.

Blog Entries

they were about as in character as in any other modern ep

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Simpsons Guy is so fucking overrated on here omg

Blog Entries

its pre decent

Blog Entries

it was one of those things that seemed good on the first watch, but was subsequently less good upon further rewatches.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Why would you waste your time re watching it

Thread Information