Thread: Moonbeam City

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Moonbeam City

Comedy Central's newest, edgiest, 80-ist cartoon makes its debut on September 16th. If wanting to judge solely on the first episode that was released thirteen days before its premiere, you can watch it here. So far I'm unimpressed as it feels too much like an Archer ripoff and the delivery style of the jokes remind me of the earliest BoJack Horseman episodes.

Update: Watched the whole first episode. Besides the gorgeous animation that takes a superficial rip on the 1980s palette, the dialogue was just awkward. There was no pace to it, the characters really had no hint of depth to them, and somehow the talent of Rob Lowe and Will Forte cannot save this shipwreck. The episode was very hard to watch knowing that the budget went more towards the animation than it did finding people who could write something with potential. Does this have potential? Just as much as an 80s-esque nod by the ISIS agents in Archer, which even after doing Archer: Vice kept me entertained. This kept me wondering if Moonbeam City could write with its 20-minute time limit in how many awkward sex jokes they could fit in.

I will tune in for future episodes, but this is definitely one of the worst pilots I've sat through so far. 2/5
    Last edited by Startug; 09-14-2015 at 06:40 AM.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

I love the idea of an 80s cop show done as an animated Patrick Nagel painting, especially with Elizabeth Banks and Rob Lowe in the lead, but that first episode was meandering and awkward. I'll give it another chance as many shows have terrible pilots.
    Last edited by ThatsAPaddlin; 09-14-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: *show, not shop
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

I've watched three episodes now, and while the first two episodes weren't very good (with the exception of Elizabeth Banks just killing every line), this third episode was actually decent. If the premise of the show is to have Dazzle pulled away from his police work each week by some creative interest, that can work, but they need to tighten up their storytelling.

Blog Entries

Episode 3 was actually pretty decent, actually having Dazzle team up with Chrysalis and Rad to do real police work was interesting to watch. The first two eps were pretty much just Dazzle being distracted from work by some random interest of his and just weren't that interesting to watch , if they actually take advantage of the fact that they are cops i think this will end up being pretty good show because watching the 3 of them work off each other was kinda fun.

Regardless I will be watching every episode just to see the awesome art and animation from titmouse, love Antonio Canobbios background art and visual style, as well as the character designs based off of Patrick Nagels art. Hope this show can get better.

I caught up on the last couple of episodes. Episode 2 wasn't too bad, but I had trouble figuring out whether to root for Rad or Dazzle. In the third one, I definitely saw the signs of improvement that you guys have been mentioning. The animation is still so damn stunning and I hope it only goes uphill from here. I'll stay tuned.

Most recent episode was again very artistic, but still tries too hard to be like Archer. 3.5/5

Have seen all the eps so far. A little subdued with some boring moments but I'm liking it enough. It definitely has an Archer-ish vibe but I'm able to disconnect. It helps that I like Elizabeth Banks. Definitely will keep tuning it.

It also really helps that this show just plain LOOKS really great. I love the neon 80s colorful but washed out look. Feels dreamy.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Have only seen one episode and I agree that Banks is the best in the cast, but I found the actual show to be really boring
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

With the change in the show's time slot of the last (and likely final) two episodes, I'm going to assume this show's pretty much dead. Even though it is, I've still got six episodes to binge on later today and I'll give my final thoughts on the show as a whole.

Blog Entries

Man those last few eps were great imo especially the finale. Rad pretty much became the best charactor quick. This show got good pre fast (ep 4 I'd say) too bad it's definitely ded, that 1am time slot pretty much proved it. Hope we can at least get a blu-ray DVD release, I mean we got a physical soundtrack releasing next week might as well get a DVD too.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

wow i did not see that coming. my heart is forever broken

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I didn't really follow the show, but when I saw this bumped, I pretty much figured this would be the reason

Thread Information