Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Users you really miss

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually want to slap myself for once supporting D'homer. What the hell was I thinking?
    He was sexist, incredibly intolerant of other opinions and had a very repetitive obnoxious posting style. Made you wanna bash his head in with a crowbar when he for the zillionth time spams "I think the show is as good as ever " or, even worse, "If the modern era sucks, then so does the classic era".

Banning him permanently was the best decision ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

The only banned member that should be allowed to return is pbf

Blog Entries

I never really liked PBF. But I would be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. In a way, I actually miss her odd sense of humor.

Blog Entries

I really liked her and keep going she'll want to come back some day and will be unbanned.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

It's telling that some of us seem to be more interested in the users that we dislike than those we like :-). Not a great way to breed the habits we desire.

Ryan hasn't been on in a while, so that's a good start. Seems to have a lot of humility and doesn't take himself too seriously. Also wish the owners were active more often, not to interfere but in more of a surveillance role to facilitate more structured discussions. As some of you may know, I browse a lot of old threads and in a lot of them there was a prominent user called DoTheBartman who was often critical but never felt overbearing or snarky, but is sadly no longer active. Slightly miss Zombies' reviews, as they were in depth and analytical, but I realise his non-Simpsons posts were often immature and even his Simpsons reviews felt vain in that every buzzword was in Italics.

When looking at the Lisa Goes Gaga rate and review thread, I found out that the Youtuber Phantom Strider used to have an account. Although he has many unpopular opinions, he always sounds captivated whenever he discusses anything and it's obvious that a lot of effort goes into his videos. A very likeable individual.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old painty-can Ned View Post
    Don't worry it's already tomorrow in Australia
    well actually it's 2063 but ur close
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

I love phantomstrider! He's hilarious when making his lists and he's very mindful about other people's views. It's hard to get mad at him for even the dumbest opinions since he's just so likeable. He's nice to his fanbase and also has shown that no, he isn't as sensitive as he sometimes can come off as. Why else would he like shows such as South Park and Drawn Together? It's about the execution, which he very well explains.

Still can't ninja BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@TheInsaneFangirl: I really miss you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^^ agreed. One of the few, if not the only, pleasant episode/show/movie reviewer

Blog Entries

@Insanity Pepper, his reviews of Simpsons episodes were really good and in-depth, even if I dislike how he doesn't focus on humor at all.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

@Ryan, so sad that he died blazing it
    @walid, made lots of great posts
    @Nilbog

Classic Simpsons Guy Evil Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    nilbog still occasionally posts

Blog Entries

Yeah, but not much. Outside of two posts in the thread about Ali, he hasn't posted in nearly a month.

Blog Entries

rip

i miss nilbogs criticker account being active
    also @zach again
    some things never change

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Wyngarde hasn't posted in ages. Still find it so weird that i was into his band as a teen. Think he made the Simps section a bit more interesting too

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I can't wait for Wyngarde's return... if only to see how he reacts to being called out in the Ghostbusters thread. I still find it hard to believe that it took about two months for someone to call him out on his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what did he say? cba to trawl the thread

Hey, if anyone wants to keep in contact with PBF she has a Facebook account. PM if you'd like it (she told me to post this)

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I can't wait for Wyngarde's return... if only to see how he reacts to being called out in the Ghostbusters thread. I still find it hard to believe that it took about two months for someone to call him out on his post.
    Ah okay - I'll address this. Here was what I think BuyMyCereal was so uppity about. Before the film opened, and going by the trailers alone - here's what I said at the time.

"Another problem is that IF you think (like I do) that the fact all of them are women is a misstep, then you are labelled sexist.
    Yeah, I'll admit i'm openly sceptical about the all-girl thing. But NOT because I'm sexist - there are a number of my favourite films in which the genders of the leads could easily be reversed and I'd have no problem with it - Withnail or Edward Scissorhands or Bambi etc. It's because like James Bond, a Ghostbuster is essentially a male character, and here's why -
    the central JOKE and therefore the framework of the character - is putting these fantastical and other-worldly pursuits in the hands of the stereotypical workaday blue-collar schmoes. That's the gag. They're ciggie-in-the-mouth, bitching about their shifts EXTERMINATORS. that's what makes all the ghost stuff work... combining fantasy and folklore with the drudgingly mundane.
    But that stereotype (workaday, blue collar schmo) with it's wisecracking, overalls-covered-in-shit and quoting unscrupulously outrageous and made-up-on-the-spot fees - is ostensibly male. We could pretend that it's not but in 2016 and even more so in 1984 - of course it is. Hire an electrician or exterminator and you'll see what I mean. I'd prefer it if more women were in those jobs but lets not kid ourselves that they are. If we went through the phonebook and called round i think the results would be pretty conclusive. But it's that contrast that enables us to go with the ghost stuff, that's the joke.
    There's no denying there's something about this new premise that seems a tad unconvincing and could throw the whole feel off track, the feel that made the first one so easy to connect with.
    Also - what exactly is wrong with occasional androcentric movies? why is it a crime? Diner and Stand By Me are about the ritualistic and childlike bonds of male friendship... Now i'm not saying that's what Ghostbusters is about but It's like remaking Steel Magnolias with an all-male cast. Or making Bridget Jones a guy. What would be the point? it completely turns it into something else."

Now, I think most of us can agree - now all that ridiculous and thoroughly depressing shitstorm has died down - the remake wasn't good. But not for the reasons I was sceptical about.
    I thought one of the fundamental ingredients of what made GB 84 work was that particular 80s stereotype and thus that contrast. If you’re doing broad 80s comedy then it stands to reason you use broad 80s archetypes. There’s nothing wrong with using traditionally male archetypes just as there’s nothing wrong with traditionally female archetypes.
    We’re in a much cooler time now where equality is closer than ever. But we can’t revise history, that’s just hysterical and weird. Nor should we, we need to learn from what we did right and what we didn't.

But really, looking back at it now and looking at the remake... Yeah, I was wrong.
    I've realised that underneath, it's not really about that. It's about a group of friends / colleagues starting a business.
    And that CAN work in any era with any cast, male or female.
    I realised that 30 minutes into the film. So of course, my apprehension was unfounded. And I really was willing it to be good, because I love Ghostbusters and the remake was crammed with solidly funny performers (Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, Cecily Strong, Matt Walsh, on a good day Melissa McCarthy) but it was just a misfire. Everything was off. Too much rambling and unfunny improv, too much awkwardly trying to hit certain beats that would appeal to fans of the original, and it just felt like some of the leads were a little unsure of how to play their characters... McKinnon was fantastic in The Spy Who Dumped Me - and I'm really looking forward to her getting the perfect vehicle to showcase her talents like Wiig did with Bridesmaids, fuck knows it's way past due.

But as for 'calling me out' for hypothesising why a gender reversal MAY not work in a remake of a particular kind 80s film which none of us had yet even seen, come on.
    Last edited by Wyngarde; 05-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries

can we all admit ghostbusters, all of them, any of them, is fucking garbage yet
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

Thread Information