Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Nickelodeon to revive some old shows?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The Legends of the Hidden Temple movie could only work if it ended with the kids perishing in the temple because they couldn't put together a three piece puzzle of a monkey.

I don't see why they just didn't revive it as a game show again. With reality TV and stuff the way it is, it seems like the kind of game show that would be primed for a comeback.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Startug

Blog Entries

It's possible they just don't know if the format is worth reviving as a full series again just yet, but figure this TV movie could be a decent one-off chance to milk some money out of an old property because of the older fans who remember it. Then if the response from Nick's main demographic (Children) is positive enough they might bring it back as a game show.

Like, if you dress it up to look cooler than it actually is in movie from, then the kids are probably more likely to wanna be a part of it and can be better enticed with commercials asking "Do YOU think you have what it takes!?".
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Yeah, but even with the giant set, it's still essentially a game show. Game shows are inherently inexpensive to produce, compared to animation and scripted shows.

Does Nickelodeon still produce game shows? I doubt it, but maybe I'm just out of the loop. It might just be they don't have a block of programming where doing a live action game show makes a lot of sense anymore.

Blog Entries

@Jims as far as I'm aware, Nick hasn't had a game show in a long time. Now it's mostly awful live-action shows about preteen vloggers or something and cartoons that refuse to lie down and die like Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly OddParents.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last game show I remember existing on Nick was Brainsurge, around 2009ish. Remember it being fairly generic, though it did use the classic Nickelodeon slime again, which I enjoyed.

Looking it up, apparently they do have a game show right now, hosted by one of the Victorious stars. Aired...less than a month ago apparently.

Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

they also rebooted figure it out for a bit too a few years back

Blog Entries

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Hey Arnold! Jungle movie is literally what 90's-me would've asked 2016-me about... glad to finally have an answer for him.

Blog Entries

Not a fan of movies being split into two parts tbh.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm just glad it's finally being made tbh.

Blog Entries

Same obviously, I just feel like splitting a TV movie into two halves is a weird decision.

Blog Entries

just found that out earlier on facebook. beyond hyped.

Blog Entries

Amazing how The Jungle Movie went from a fan dream seemingly lost to the ages to something that is actually happening.

Power of nostalgia.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, my interest is piqued. I had always wished we were able to get the Jungle Movie instead of the disappointing 'The Movie' we were given - even moreso after recently rewatching and realizing how truly awful it is - so this sounds like good news.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen the movie in a while. remember liking it but hey Arnold was always one of my faves as a kid.

Blog Entries

I watched the movie a while back on Netflix. Not sure what the issue some people have with it is. It's a fun movie IMO. I also remember seeing it in the cinema when it came out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Yeah, but even with the giant set, it's still essentially a game show. Game shows are inherently inexpensive to produce, compared to animation and scripted shows.

Does Nickelodeon still produce game shows? I doubt it, but maybe I'm just out of the loop. It might just be they don't have a block of programming where doing a live action game show makes a lot of sense anymore.
    I looked it up and they have one current game show, Paradise Run.

Nickelodeon used to have a lot of great game shows. Legends of the Hidden Temple, Nick Arcade (I thought the part where you "enter" a video game was the coolest thing ever), Wild and Crazy Kids, Double Dare, Guts, Get the Picture, What Would You Do?, Figure It Out. Reviving any one of these, especially the physical ones, could be great for Nicklodeon. If they do family participation, they'll have already drawn in all the adults who desperately wished they could be on these shows the first time around.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

Blog Entries

huh, so it looks like according to this job listing Rocko is coming back for a tv movie
    https://nickelodeonanimation-viacom....un1offset=-420

I really don't know what to think tbh, I guess as long as Joe Murray is on board it'll be alright

Classic Simpsons Guy Evil Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This better have adult humor like the show did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    huh, so it looks like according to this job listing Rocko is coming back for a tv movie
    https://nickelodeonanimation-viacom....un1offset=-420

I really don't know what to think tbh, I guess as long as Joe Murray is on board it'll be alright
    Yay

Although I thought I read somewhere that Murray was fine with it being done. Thought he said something about that original staff being what made it what it was, and it can't be replicated again in the right way. Maybe he changed his mind.

Blog Entries

there was also this a few weeks ago. it seems Joe Murray is on board for this so I have hope it will at least be decent.
    http://junkiemonkeys.com/the-boondoc...life-comeback/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
    This better have adult humor like the show did.
    See, I can't help but wonder if trying to do that stuff now would be more difficult for a number of reasons. Nickelodeon's S&P is probably more strict now than it would have been when Rocko was on, and in addition to that, the audience that remembers Rocko had those gags flying over their heads as kids, with the fun being in discovering them years down the line. Now that those bits are so infamous, would it be more of a detriment for them to shoehorn that stuff in simply because of people expecting a ton of dirty jokes?

I'd have to imagine Nick would wanna bring in their current viewers to watch this as well as the nostalgic adults, but just how much could be slipped in now without alarm bells going off either on Nick's end or on the end of parents being pissed off about that sort of content being featured in a modern day kids cartoon?

Classic Simpsons Guy Evil Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I see your point, but I don't see how Rocko could have any real trouble with adult humor, considering some of the stuff SpongeBob is allowed to do on modern Nickelodeon is legitimately more disturbing than Rocko ever was.

Blog Entries

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/11...ie-nickelodeon

One of Nickelodeon’s most modern characters is getting, well, even more modern.

EW has learned exclusively that Nickelodeon has greenlit a TV movie of Rocko’s Modern Life, the classic ‘90s animated Nicktoon created by Joe Murray.

The one-hour TV special will bring back all of the beloved characters in Rocko’s fictional city of O-Town. Murray will return as executive producer and co-director of the film, which will be produced out of Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank.

“I’m very happy to be rejoining Rocko and my friends from O-Town again,” Murray said in a statement. “What I have found by bringing these characters back is that it’s not so much about nostalgia, but a sense that they still feel relevant and fresh to me, and after 20 years, they can’t wait to comment on modern life in the 21st century. They still have a lot to say.”
    hmm...

Blog Entries

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/08...stimpy-reboots

also a bit of a retrospective of the original three nicktoons on their 25th anniversary, with a discussion about potential reboots. only the rugrats creators seem to think a reboot could happen, john k. gives a simple refusal and jim jinkins says it's not possible unless disney lets it happen, since they own doug(get fucked @IdiotDetector).

I guess I'm glad Joe Murray is still going to be involved with new Rocko but it's so hard to be optimistic about projects like this nowadays.

At least it's a movie and not a whole new series.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Now kids are in kindergarten learning how to code. I mean, that’s amazing. Imagine [the Rugrats] going to pre-school and they’re coding and what could possibly come out of some kind of crazy thing they invented or did something viral. I think [a reboot] would need to mirror our time now.
    Oof. Just leave it be. We don't need episodes about Chuckie becoming a meme or Angelica trying to become a star through a Musical.ly style app.

Also, at John K talking about how creator driven R&S is when that very creator's drive is what willed Adult Party Cartoon into existence. I don't think it should come back, but they did it without him before and they could easily do it again if they really wanted to.

Actually, it was exactly the type of premise that would sustain longevity so long as you retain the brilliant writers who made it what it was, so nay to leaving it alone especially with Germain returning. Much like The Simpsons, which is actually where the shows' creators and writers broke into the industry. The stories in the Paul Germain-run years were self-contained, which is the sort of style that leads to a great number of possibilities for episodes. Germain will be the one heralding the reboot and Klasky had very little creative input in the show during the classic 65 so in the end, Germain's idea will be the most pragmatic.

The problem was that literally the entire writing staff left after the original 65 episodes (127 segments). When literally the whole writing staff, including the head writer/voice director/3rd co-creator (Germain) are gone, the show is going to dramatically change.

The new writers simply didn't get it. They didn't know/understand the concept for the series and were likely instructed to do something different by Arlene Klasky for the very reason all the writers departed in the first place.

The conflict between Klasky and the original writers probably even enhanced the creativity in the series, as they actually used it as inspiration to ridicule and subvert her demands, but in the end, the strained relationship broke it apart. I'm shocked that it was mentioned that Germain will be running the reboot. Maybe Klasky realizes the only way to restore the show to what it once was would be to put aside their differences so he and his writers could return.

I know Germain has mentioned on his tumblr page that he thinks it would be fun to "fix" what the subsequent writers did to the show.

Blog Entries

I feel like after 9 seasons, 3 movies and 2 spin-offs there's more than enough Rugrats in the world.

Also, why did you make a second account without ever posting with your first one @AllMyFriendsAreHeathens?

Blog Entries

I rewatched some episodes of rugrats on teennick's '90's are all that'(or the splat or whatever it was/is called now) and wow, they did not hold up, at all.

Thread Information