Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Nickelodeon to revive some old shows?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by PreciousBodilyFluids View Post
    i've spent 2 hours watching mel blanc youtube vids i've seen a million times when i could've watched half a season of nickelodeon's doug smh

FULL CIRCLE. she's all yours, @IdiotDetector. please offer your thoughts on the imminent "avengers style" nicktoons motion picture
    Sounds really stupid to me. Characters in and of themselves aren't worth anything.

Blog Entries

Dang the thread was getting pretty good
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

man watching really old cartoons really gets you thinking just how much of 'basic comedy' was based in racism
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

eh, even today a lot of comedy is racial in tone, at the very least based in stereotypes.

Blog Entries

http://www.thesplat.com/

hmm, what have we here?

edit: also

wonder what's going on? people are suggesting a new channel...

Blog Entries

oh and disney just renewed the trademark to doug last november. from what it looks like it was originally filed with nickelodeon in may of '92, and transferred to disney ownership in january of '95. so don't count on new doug material from nick.

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=74...e=statusSearch

Blog Entries

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

looks like The Splat will be playing Spumco Ren and Stimpy!

@comeau thoughts on Aaahh!!! Real Monsters?

Blog Entries

haven't seen the show since i was a kid but i remember it being kind of gross. i suppose it's to be expected from a show about monsters that live in a new jersey dump.

Blog Entries

I always wonder if Aaah! Real Monsters still holds up. Thinking about Monster's Inc and fantasy school settings like Harry Potter today, and I feel like the show was a little ahead of its time with its premise. I have a bad feeling it probably does rely on gross-out humor a little too much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    oh and disney just renewed the trademark to doug last november. from what it looks like it was originally filed with nickelodeon in may of '92, and transferred to disney ownership in january of '95. so don't count on new doug material from nick.

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=74...e=statusSearch
    But what is it specifically that is trademarked there? It only has descriptions under 92 and 93 stuff. It looks like it's referring to the stylized title screen or something.

From reading the documents:

I think Jumbo Pictures transferred the trademark to that stylized text in 2002 (http://tsdr.uspto.gov/caseviewer/ass...141&docIndex=1). Prior to that, Jumbo had acquired it from Viacom/Nickelodeon (http://tsdr.uspto.gov/caseviewer/ass...x=0#docIndex=0). The 1995 registration date was when it had officially been registered, but with Viacom/Nickelodeon.

What's interesting is that title screen still appears in the reruns of the Nickelodeon Doug, though. I wonder if that just isn't covered under the "uses" section.

Blog Entries

does it really matter precisely what is trademarked though? all that matters is that disney currently owns the active trademark to the doug name, if nick did anything new with the property disney's law arm would be on their asses so quick, unless they could make some sort of agreement. the thing is though i don't think nick is all that eager to resurrect doug, the only things that have even shown doug in all this is so far unofficial, there's not even any doug footage in that video advertising the splat(just about every other 90s nicktoon makes an appearance except for kablam), even though nick still retains the right to rerun their version, as of june of this year, the last time they reran a doug episode on the 90s are all that.

as for why the title screen still appears on the nick doug i assume nick and disney came to some sort of agreement back in the mid 90s when it was decided that nick would continue to be allowed to distribute their version. after all what would be the point of rerunning the show without being able to show the title screen?

Blog Entries

as for the splat service itself, i'm hoping it'll be a streaming service rather than a cable channel. apparently they brought back noggin earlier this year as a paid subscription streaming mobile app, and it features older nick jr. programming. i'd rather they go this route with the splat.

Blog Entries

what is the albert einstein looking character at about 8 seconds into that video, between a shot of heffer/rocko/filburt and otto rocket's dumb fucking face, from? that's the only thing that i can't place, it looks vaguely like it could be from aaah real monsters but i'm not sure.

Blog Entries

what is the albert einstein looking character at about 8 seconds into that video, between a shot of heffer/rocko/filburt and otto rocket's dumb fucking face, from? that's the only thing that i can't place, it looks vaguely like it could be from aaah real monsters but i'm not sure.
    It is Albert Einstein, his hair being shocked white by a monster on Ahh Real Monsters.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: comeau

Blog Entries

I'm still confused about the splat. is it a streaming service or a cable channel?

since they removed the nick shows from amazon prime I'd have to assume it's a streaming service

Blog Entries

Nickelodeon Plans October Launch for ‘The Splat!,’ a Block of Classic 90s Programs

The Viacom-owned outlet has plans to launch “The Splat!,” a programming block featuring series from the network’s heyday, starting in October, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The exact series slated to get the spotlight and the times they might be shown could not be learned, but Nickelodeon has no shortage of programs that have become cultural touchstones to teens and pre-teens who have likely moved on from the network. Past ’90s series include everything from “Rocko’s Modern Life,” which debuted in 1993, to “Salute Your Shorts” (1991) to “The Secret World of Alex Mack” (1994). And that short list doesn’t include mega-hits like “Rugrats” (1991).
    A website touting the advent of “Splat!” has launched at http://www.thesplat.com, and YouTube now offers a page devoted to “The Splat” as well, with minimal offerings. The page is festooned with characters from programs like “Ren & Stimpy” and “Hey Arnold!” A Twitter feed, @Thesplat, is also up and running. The social-media efforts were reported previously by BuzzFeed, among other outlets.

The initiative is believed to be separate from another development effort by Nickelodeon that would revive some of its classic series with new original episodes and storylines that are buffed and polished for current audiences.

Yesssss come back to me once again The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo or I am gonna kick someone.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

The programming maneuver comes as many kids’ programmers are scrambling to stem significant ratings losses that have resulted from many of TV’s youngest viewers migrating to streaming-video, mobile tablets and smartphones and subscription-on-demand services offered by Netflix and Amazon.
    well that certainly answers why they pulled the shows off amazon

kind of a fascinating move, actually, mostly in that I can't really decipher if this is a brilliant or terrible idea. I'm guessing viacom assumes that they'll hit two markets by airing decades-old TV (insanely cheap) that kids are unfamiliar with (I'm guessing "all that" won't be aired lest an eight-year-old scratches their head at ross perot jokes) plus the notion that most "90s kids" (or whatever the generational name is) might be either less likely to be hip enough to use streaming technology (yeah, no) or desperate after losing the shows from both netflix and amazon, and being able to get their "nostalgia" fix on a cheaper cable bundle. and that could easily be a testing ground to see if the younger demographics like the shows enough to warrant reboots, akin to what disney is doing. (ducktales, for example)

yet it also reeks of laziness and is counter-intiuative to the inevitable future of television. the nicktoons channel and teennick were great outlets for this stuff, but I can't help but feel the "nickelodeon nostalgia" thing is a bit behind its prime. sticking it on the actual original network itself seems too little, too late. the "90s kids" surely have bought the DVD sets (I already own the complete rocko's modern life one), so I don't see a good deal tuning in. you'd think they would get more money out of a separate streaming service, but well... this may just be an experiment.

I don't blame them at all. none of nickelodeon's current slate targeted towards kids is lighting the world on fire currently, unlike CN and Disney. the only popular ones are the last vestiages from the "old days" (spongebob, odd parents) or reboots of old recognizable commodities (turtles, power rangers)... I guess that "sanjay and craig" show is mildly popular, but nowhere near "gravity falls", "phineas and ferb", "adventure time", "steven universe" and "regular show". "spongebob" obviously is the only one that still seems to trascend currently, at least with kids.

kind of sad that nickeldeon is basically resorting to completely coasting on its past than trying to make new, original entertainment for children, which as those aformentioned disney/CN shows proved, can still resonate with adult audiences nearly equally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Yesssss come back to me once again The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo or I am gonna kick someone.
    !!! I was starting to feel like almost no one else remembered Shelby Woo! Before Veronica Mars and Liv Moore she was my original kick-ass girl detective crush.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Blog Entries

been watching that nick reboot stream thing that's been around for a while, they play a lot of nick game shows like double dare, figure it out, and finders keepers(currently playing now). it's kind of neat.

Teens and preteens? I don't get it. They're not the ones demanding 90s shows...a kid who turns 20 today was 4 in September 1999.
    Last edited by IdiotDetector; 09-17-2015 at 08:23 PM.

does it really matter precisely what is trademarked though? all that matters is that disney currently owns the active trademark to the doug name, if nick did anything new with the property disney's law arm would be on their asses so quick, unless they could make some sort of agreement. the thing is though i don't think nick is all that eager to resurrect doug, the only things that have even shown doug in all this is so far unofficial, there's not even any doug footage in that video advertising the splat(just about every other 90s nicktoon makes an appearance except for kablam), even though nick still retains the right to rerun their version, as of june of this year, the last time they reran a doug episode on the 90s are all that.

as for why the title screen still appears on the nick doug i assume nick and disney came to some sort of agreement back in the mid 90s when it was decided that nick would continue to be allowed to distribute their version. after all what would be the point of rerunning the show without being able to show the title screen?
    I don't know if Disney owns anything other than the stylized Doug title screen font, though. If that's all they own, in theory Nickelodeon could just change the title screen and be fine. Actually, if I'm reading the documents correctly, it seems the mystery is how Disney was able to use that font on Disney's Doug, since they apparently didn't acquire the trademark until 2001/2002, which seems to be when Viacom assigned it to Jumbo Pictures, who in turn assigned it to Disney. Unless them having "Disney's" attached to it somehow circumvented it at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're going to produce new episodes of Doug, or any of the 90s Nicktoons/shows. I'm just saying I don't think trademark/copyright issues would interfere with Doug if by some bizarre turn of events they decided they wanted to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Teens and preteens? I don't get it. They're not the ones demanding 90s shows...a kid who turns 20 today was 4 in September 1999.
    i'm not sure they are referring to today's kids, the wording is vague but i think they are pointing out that nick's programming both now and in the past is primarily aimed at teens and preteens. meaning that they are going to try and capitalize on the nostalgia for shows that teens and preteens in the 90s watched.

although this is at least the third time they've tried this. not counting starting up the nicktoons digital cable channel as an outlet for their old nicktoons reruns, about a decade ago they tried to market their 90s shows under the nick rewind label and even had a period where they showed reruns of the older nicktoons on the main nickelodeon channel on sunday mornings. the second time was of course the 90s are all that block on teen nick.

viacom isn't helping matters though, they've put out info about this new channel or block or whatever it's supposed to be, but no real details. so now we have people speculating it could be anything from a rebrand of the 90s are all that to a total replacement of the entire teen nick channel, to a overnight channel a la adult swim that would replace nick at nite on the main nick channel(one article claims the "block" will air from 10 pm to 6 am eastern).

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

why nick at nite still exists with tv land having been a thing for well over a decade now still confounds me.

Blog Entries

tv land has been around for the better part of 20 years now. although there used to be more distinct differences between the two, once tv land launched it became the home of most of the 1950s-1970s shows while nick at nite mainly aired 1980s and 1990s shows.

Blog Entries

so now the current rumor is that nick may be looking to discontinue it's much maligned nickmom block that airs nightly on the nick jr. channel, they recently dropped reruns of that '70s show, opening doors for people to suggest that possibly the splat will be replacing it. it's possible i guess, on one hand it doesn't make a ton of sense to air 90s programming on nick jr, but on the other hand it didn't make any sense for nickmom to be airing(hence all the controversy), and airing reruns of older nicktoons/other retro nick programming late at night when the littlest of kids are sleeping would probably be more accepted than nickmom was.

also another problem with this situation is what will they do with the 90s are all that on teen nick? unless they plan on having two light night retro blocks airing on their networks?

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A little before and whilst they were doing the Nick Rewind thing in the mid-noughts they also had "The N" nighttime block on Noggin that was a weird mishmash of Degrassi, heavily-censored Daria reruns, and 90's Nick shows like Pete & Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, etc. with the occasional old Klasky-Csupo show mixed in. I'm sure they'll be able to find an audience for both blocks, especially if they have some variation in the shows they put on them.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Really miss The N. Daria + South of Nowhere made me so happy. And ugh I learned so much about stupid Degrassi.

Didn't even know NickMom was a thing. Sounds goofy...

*checks programming*

NickMom

Original programming

Canceled

• MFF: Mom Friends Forever (October 1, 2012 – 2015)
    • NickMom Night Out (October 1, 2012 – 2015)
    • Parental Discretion with Stefanie Wilder-Taylor (October 1, 2012 – 2015)
    • Take Me to Your Mother (2013 – 2015)
    • Undercover Cupid (2014 – 2015)
    • What Was Carol Brady Thinking? (October 1, 2012 – 2013)

NickMom acquired series rights exclusive to NickMom

Repeats of Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite original series

Repeats of MTV series

Repeats of TV Land series

NickMom acquired series rights via Nick at Nite

........the fuck?

Thread Information