Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NHC Summer Video Game Music Showdown (RESULTS!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

How to remaster

Blog Entries

Come on peeps, get votin'!
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Match #1
    The Legend of the Mystical Ninja - “Tengu Mountains”
    I like a lot of Catherine's OST but this track doesn't stick out too much to me. Tengu isn't amazing or anything but gets my vote.

Match #2

The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    One of my fav pieces of music from The Sims. I barely even remember the context of the Hit & Run track and it's mostly generic rock to me.

Match #3

Time Lord – “Castle Harman”
    I'm sure the sound would put people off but daaaaamn I love it. A neat NES David Wise composition. Could definitely see this in a DK game or something.

Match #4

Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”
    Metal Squad definitely sounds metal as fuqq. I like Rust_Check but neither are really grabbing me. After awhile they both just start to sound like noise. Throwing vote to Rust_Check.

Match #5

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back – “Rock It/Pack Attack”
    Not much to say here. Throwing vote to Rock It/Pack Attack.

Match #6
    Atomic Trigger 3 - “Shield & Sword Battle”
    Kinda thought the techno was a bit much at first bit got into it. I like the slow build and intro. Atelier track is charming, tho.

Match #7

Sword & Sworcery - “Lone Star”
    Oh man I love Ristar music so so much but Lone Star is such a nice little track and new find for me. Enjoyed the progression.

Match #8
    Always Sometimes Monsters - “Pet Rock Meets the Moon”
    Really love PRMtM and in fact I then listened to the entire soundtrack of Always Sometimes Monsters. Good stuff right off the bat. FTL track is nice but doesn't catch my attention.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Alright, so just know that I listened to every song from beginning to end, and played most of it over again to confirm my decision. Sorry if I step on any toes by not choosing a song that's very dear to you.

Match #1 Catherine - “Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀"

Very intimate but with a sense of privation. Almost like the music wants you to know something but it's complicated. I dunno, I like that and I found it pretty enamorous. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja was fun, catchy and stylish. Definitely not a dud, but it just wasn't as inviting.

Match #2 The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”

Oh happy suburbia, the world is your oyster! It's charming and I feel swept up in pursuing the American dream (or simulation of) when listening to this. *Not that I'm saying it pertains exclusively to Americans. I actually considered submitting music from The Simpsons Hit and Run but I didn't know how I felt about doing that here of all places but I'm so glad someone did because there are some awesome, beautiful tracks in this game. However, I don't think I would have chosen this one, although it is pretty rocking when you're actually in a mission/race. When you take yourself out of an immersive perspective though, it just doesn't woo me as much as The Sims and I've never really even played The Sims.

Match #3 Hyrule Warriors - “Silent Guardians”

I can imagine myself playing a game like this and waiting for this song to come on so I can just tear shit up. Pretty epic. Time Lord is neat. I like the quick little riffs. Alot of stopping and starting though. Maybe that's the point, but it just felt a little all over the place and prevents me from knowing the song. The quick little riffs stick with me, but how it jives together overall, It leaves me a tad disoriented.

Match #4 Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”

Wow, very ambient and atmospheric. I'm bobbing up and down to it as I type this. Thunder Force IV just doesn't pop the same way for me and I'm sure it's cool when you play, but it doesn't sound like anything new to me and there's not much or enough variation to it.

Match #5 Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - "Rock It/Pack Attack"

This was a good face-off, but I have to give it to Crash. It's beautiful and charming, yet epic and adventurous all at once. There's a build-up and you feel like there's a story being told that carries itself effortlessly to the end. de Blob is really catchy and celebratory. It makes me feel happy and it maintains that throughout but there's something strange and adorable about Crash's song that just tips the scale for me.

Match #6 Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - “Town Where the Bells Chime”

Soothing, fun, and has alot of life going for it. Atomic 3 didn't really register with me. I like it, but I don't find it too memorable.

Match #7 Sword & Sworcery - “Lone Star”

Casually wonderous and methodical. It makes me want to press onward with whatever my goal is. Ristar's song doesn't really do much for me. I don't hate it, but I find it a bit grating. Sorry.

Match #8 FTL: Faster Than Light - “Civil (Battle)”

Cute, creative, and sounds like a really enjoyable battle. There's a drama to it that is soft yet very present and real. Always Sometimes Monsters was also good and had a cool personality to it but it just didn't have as much of an impact on me.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 09-01-2015 at 05:12 PM.

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Match #1
    Catherine - “Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀”
    Mellow. Tengu was mostly a loop of the same thing, although I think I heard some Ron Burgundy jazz flute in there.

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    This song really reminded me of the music from Dragon Quest VIII for some reason.

Match #3
    The best kind of NES-awesomeness.

Match #4
    Thunder Force IV - “Metal Squad”
    Toss up.

Match #5
    de Blob - “Euphoric”
    Neither really stuck out from the other but there was something about this song.

Match #6
    I like the techno-y middle part. I could see myself level grinding or doing some fetch task to the other song, close.

Match #7
    I need to get around to playing this game.

Match #8
    Both of these were excellent. I need to finish ASM one of these days.

NO MORE SAGGY DIAPER PAINS!!!
    Blog Entries

1. Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀
    2. NEVER TRUST A SNAKE! You people are insane for voting Buy Mode 1!
    3. Silent Guardians
    4. Metal Squad
    5. Euphoric
    6. Town Where the Bells Chime. The other song fondly reminds me of Four Second Frenzy but the latter is more something I would want to listen to.
    7. Lone Star
    8. Pet Rock Meets the Moon, but the two songs in this match are best in this round next to Never Trust a Snake and maybe Silent Guardians.
    Last edited by Jockey Elf Putting Society; 09-02-2015 at 05:08 PM.

So did you nominate Never Trust a Snake or what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    So did you nominate Never Trust a Snake or what?
    Sorry, not telling.

Blog Entries

Match #1
    Lamb Game is has an air of mystery to it, but Mystical Ninja is the more upbeat and musically exciting of the two choices.

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    Buy Mode is an instant classic and reminds me that although the first Sims is dated, it still holds up very well; I love the quick, polky rhythm the tune has. Also, I LOVE this game. Being a god in the sky who'll do anything to catch characters on fire never gets old, and the buy mode has some impressive objects. Never Trust a Snake just doesn't have the same history nor the same effect on me as Buy Mode does.

Match #3
    Castle Harman kind of reminds me of sitting in front of a TV and playing Dig-Dug with one of the joystick/gamepad things. The barrage of riffs and their changing pitch is also very stimulating to the ear. This isn't to say Hyrule Warriors isn't good, though. This tune has some sick and catchy beats, and the chorus really adds that signature Zelda feel.

Match #4
    Who couldn't love this track when it has a 16-bit guitar solo in it? Simply epic! Rust Check is slow-paced and has a steady, smooth beat, but I still give it to Metal Squad.

Match #5
    Rock It is a rocking, alien-sounding track that simply drew me in as soon as it started. Bottom line: we need more Crash! Euphoric sounds a little jazzy, which I like, but it started to grate on me a little over the one-minute mark.

Match #6
    Shield and Sword makes me think of medieval fantasy, but more rock-ish, which is amplified when it suddenly jumps in speed and gets a little louder. Bells makes me think of a royal procession of some kind. The speedy notes from the accordion makes this quite a neat little tune.

Match #7
    Ristar - “Greedy Game”
    This track is my favourite so far. Greedy Game's tune is fast and electronic sounding, and the constantly changing middle tune adds to the delightfully ever-changing sound. Lone Star is good, but doesn't pack the same punch.

Match #8
    FTL: Faster Than Light - “Civil (Battle)”
    Space music is just the best, especially when it has that old school arcade sound to it.
    Last edited by pax; 09-03-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Match #1
    Love the mellow, atmospheric ambiance to this track.

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    Can't say I dug either track, really.

Match #3
    Hyrule Warriors - “Silent Guardians”
    This is probably gonna end up being my favorite from the showdown. Just a great tune.

Match #4
    Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”
    Love how erratic this is. Very unique.

Match #5
    Very hard match here but I'm going with Crash. All of the Crash games have such an amazing and crazy melodic soundtrack.

Match #6
    that techno break tho

Match #7
    A simple, yet beautiful track. Really in love with this one.

Match #8
    A floaty, ambient track; very calming. Tough matchup here.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

1. Catherine - “Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀”
    Tengu Mountains was sort of funky, but not really a huge stand out for me. Maybe it just needs time to grow on me? It certainly isn't long enough to grow on me with one listening. Catherine soundtrack has already had time to grow on me even if it hadn't, I do find it really nice/soothing anyway, sounds like stuff I'd put on my ipod. It also reminds me that I want to play more of this game.

2. The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    These are both games that I have a huge amount of nostalgia for. The Sims track is a better track and a lot more memorable for me. I knew what was coming before I even played The Sims track and had forgotten entirely about the Hit and Run track.

3. Time Lord – “Castle Harman”
    I don't really expect to be into NES music honestly (sometimes I do, just isn't generally a preference for me), and I liked the Time Lord music right off which surprised me. Then I noted "composed by David Wise" and that explained that. The Hyrule Warriors track was cool, it sounds like something from games I'd actually play, but it's just not as interesting or memorable to me.

4. Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”
    Why was Metal Squad that long? I just kept waiting for it to end. That Flywrench music is super cool though, definitely saved the game on my steam account wish list as a result.

5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back – “Rock It/Pack Attack”
    I actually really liked both of these. When Euphoric first started I thought that was where my vote would go though because it opened so great. Rock It/Pack Attack stayed interesting throughout though, so my vote goes it.

6. Atomic Trigger 3 - “Shield & Sword Battle”
    I liked both of these tracks and just went with the more fun one.

7. Sword & Sworcery - “Lone Star”
    The Ristar music wasn't very memorable for me. It wasn't bad, I just didn't love it. Loved that Sword and Sworcery music though, it was more to my taste in general.

8. FTL: Faster Than Light - “Civil (Battle)”
    FTL has been on the forever long list of things I want to try for a good long while. This song just makes me want to play it more, enjoyed that right through. That Always Sometimes Monsters track was good too and might have made it if it were against something else. The FTL track is exactly my cup though.

Blog Entries

1. catherine

i've heard mystical ninja like 1000 times. it sounds like every other snes track in existence. catherine was no standout but i liked it more.

2. sims

sims was neat. simpsons felt a bit more manufactured. so sims it is.

3. time lord

time lord's best song is its title screen theme (probably too short for a showdown though). i guess this one's ok though.

4. flywrench

the other track was too genesisy.

5. de blob

man so funky. fav track so far.

6. "Atomic Trigger 3" or whatever it's called
    7. ristar
    8. FTL
    Last edited by The Goode Family; 09-04-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Match #1
    vs.

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    vs.
    The Simpsons Hit & Run - “Never Trust a Snake”

Match #3
    vs.

Match #4
    vs.
    Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”

Match #5
    vs.
    de Blob - “Euphoric”

Match #6
    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - “Town Where the Bells Chime”
    vs.

Match #7
    vs.
    Ristar - “Greedy Game”

Match #8
    vs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    The song is called Atomic Trigger 3. The game is Ball Revamped 5.

Blog Entries

2. The Simpsons Hit & Run - “Never Trust a Snake”
    3. Hyrule Warriors - “Silent Guardians”
    5. de Blob - “Euphoric”
    6. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - “Town Where the Bells Chime”
    8. Always Sometimes Monsters - “Pet Rock Meets the Moon”

"Lamb Game between ♂ and ♀" is a really relaxing tune. Calm and coaxing even with the sense of danger surrounding it (Even without environment or story context, the album artwork does a nice job of conveying as much) "Tengu Mountains" on the other hand was much too frantic for my liking. It's no secret that I'm not super big on music from the NES/SNES era but I will say that I did like the flute elements to it, I just didn't much care for the rest of it. Maybe it's partly the font the title uses reminding me of it all the more but I got kind of a Scooby-Doo vibe from this. Catherine gets my vote.

Sims Vs. Simps next... fuck this is a tough choice. "Buy Mode 1" paints a lovely little domestic picture (Appropriate given the nature of The Sims, really) and is just incredibly pleasant. "Never Trust A Snake" is much the opposite. It has a really great energy to it and I dig the attempt at doing a kick ass rock track for missions like the one this is attached to (If memory serves, this is the mission where you have to do Snake's community service and pick up the garbage, which, to be honest, fuck that mission). As a side note, I'm actually amazed we haven't had a song from a Simpsons game before this. I've been tempted to submit stuff in the past but figured that it might be a tad iffy because given that this is a Simpsons fan forum, people could either give it a vote solely on the basis of it being Simpsons-related, or vote against it for the same reason thinking that it got submitted as an attempt to get easy votes. In any case, I likes what I likes. Simpsons gets a vote from me on this occasion.

"Castle Harman" was... uh... it sure was track from a game on the NES. I suppose it wasn't all that bad, though the little dips it took in places kinda fucked with the flow a bit. "Silent Guardians" just blows it the fuck out of the water in any case. Was super pleasantly surprised by this track given that it's not exactly the sort of thing that springs to mind when I think of Zelda music.

Oh, here we go. I'll forever prefer music from the Sega Genesis (Or "Mega Drive" if you really insist on calling it that) over that of the NES or SNES. Can't say I'm familiar with Thunder Force but "Metal Squad" is a pretty sweet track. It's got that meat-headed metal thing going for it that you could just picture dumb 90's duos like Bill and Ted or Beavis and Butt-Head headbanging/air guitaring too. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff. "RUST_CHECK" was pretty weird, and for sure left more of an impression on me than Thunder Force did in spite of how much I can appreciate that sort of thing. It's for sure not the first time I've heard something like it but I think maybe I just got a little transfixed while listening to it and staring at the little rotating symbol. Vote goes to Flywrench.

I'll be honest, as much as I like the Crash Bandicoot games, very little of the soundtracks ever stick out to me outside of the games themselves. Like, as standalone pieces not many of them work as well as say, Spyro the Dragon's soundtracks do (Seems like a fair comparison seeing as it was Sony's other main platforming franchise at the time). That's not to say NONE of them do, but as far as I'm concerned, "Rock It/Pack Attack" is not one of those tracks. I don't have much to say about "Euphoric", but it's funky as fuck and I really like it, so it gets my vote.

I don't have much to say about either track in the 6th match. “Town Where the Bells Chime” was nice. Atomic Trigger 3 was very unexpectedly techno. Giving my vote to the former because I simply enjoyed it more.

I'm not really sure what to say about "Lone Star" other than that I liked it. Weird, charming, unique? I'm sure I could take those adjectives plus more and use them in a decent way, but as I near the end of what Round 1-A has to offer I'm getting a bit tired, and when that happens my brain no put together words so good. Ristar started off a tad too downtrodden for my taste. It got better once it sped up a little but even then it wasn't anything spectacular. Vote goes to "Lone Star".

"Pet Rock Meets the Moon" from Always Sometimes Monsters was great. It's a shame that track isn't on YouTube as a single video on it's own really. FTL was equally as good but in all honesty, "Pet Rock Meets the Moon" is a track I'd be more likely to listen to again of my own accord, so it gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Come on peeps, get votin'!
    He said despite not having voted himself yet.

The song is called Atomic Trigger 3. The game is Ball Revamped 5.
    Well, that wasn't made clear when it was PM'd to me. Doesn't even say the game name in the title of the video (I know it comes up on screen in the video itself, but it still doesn't actually make clear that it's the name of the game). I'll fix it should it survive the round but if not then tough, because people have already started casting votes for it under that name and I'm not about to confuse the issue by altering it mid-round.

Blog Entries

Wait, you can vote for yourself?
    Well then.

Blog Entries

Sweet mother of Jesus

Blog Entries

Match #1
    vs.
    The Catherine song is a great, laid-back piece of music. Legend of The Mystical Ninja's song isn't that good.

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    vs.
    About equal, but Hit and Run wins because it comes from the Simpsons.

Match #3
    vs.
    The time lord song was alright, but the Hyrule Warriors song was epic.

Match #4
    vs.
    Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”
    The Flywrench song sounds pretty cool, but Thunder Force is EPIC. I can headbang to it all day long.

Match #5
    vs.
    de Blob - “Euphoric”
    the De blob song is pretty funky, but Crash's sounds pretty spacey and cool.

Match #6
    vs.
    The Eternal Mana song is alright, but Atomic Trigger (Actually from a game called Ball Revamped 5) is AWESOME, from it's soft beginning to it's blasting techno middle.

Match #7
    vs.
    Ristar - “Greedy Game”
    Ristar's is fine, but Sword and Sorcery sounds better to me.

Match #8
    vs.
    Always Sometimes Mosters's one is a great techno tune. FTL's is pretty boring.

Blog Entries

Sweet mother of Jesus
    That was pretty dumb for me, agreed.

Blog Entries

I'm actually amazed we haven't had a song from a Simpsons game before this. I've been tempted to submit stuff in the past but figured that it might be a tad iffy because given that this is a Simpsons fan forum, people could either give it a vote solely on the basis of it being Simpsons-related, or vote against it for the same reason thinking that it got submitted as an attempt to get easy votes..
    Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    vs.
    About equal, but Hit and Run wins because it comes from the Simpsons.
    Well now, it looks like I could be onto something here.

Blog Entries

This is a busy week for me, so no comments.

2. The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”
    3. Hyrule Warriors - “Silent Guardians”
    5. de Blob - “Euphoric”
    6. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - “Town Where the Bells Chime”
    8. FTL: Faster Than Light - “Civil (Battle)”

Blog Entries

Well now, it looks like I could be onto something here.
    I just gave it that because i couldn't choose otherwise.

Blog Entries

I find it ironic that @The Egg Council Creep voting for Silent Guardians which contains a rap beat (but no actual rapping), since he hates rap.

Blog Entries

Also, fuck YouTube ads.

Match #1

I'm guessing Catherine's track goes well with the game but out of context it's only decent. Tengu Mountains is more fun so it gets my vote.

Match #2
    The Sims - Buy Mode 1

Well The Sims series has that kind of music that I like playing to but I can't really listen to a lot but Buy Mode 1 is very nostalgic to me and it's still a good song today. The Simpsons' was not offensively bad but I already forgot it.

Match #3

This was a close match because none of these songs really clicked with me, but Hyrule Warriors' solo riff gives it the win.

Match #4

Metal Squad had a lot of energy and it sounded pretty good, the other one was kind of hard to listen to.

I'll finish later

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

no thoughts cause I'm bad at that kinda stuff:
    1: catherine
    2: sims
    3: hyrule warriors
    4: flywrench
    5: crash
    6: ateilier iris
    7: ristar
    8: FTL
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jockey Elf Putting Society View Post
    Also, fuck YouTube ads.
    Download Adblock. Boom, problem solved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jockey Elf Putting Society View Post
    I find it ironic that @The Egg Council Creep voting for Silent Guardians which contains a rap beat (but no actual rapping), since he hates rap.
    Really? It doesn't really sound rap to me. You can rap over it, but you can rap over anything, really.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Download Adblock. Boom, problem solved.
    I normally use Adblock, but it was not active at the time I made that post.

Blog Entries

Match #1

Match #2
    The Sims - “Buy Mode 1”

Match #3

Match #4
    Flywrench - “RUST_CHECK”

Match #5
    de Blob - “Euphoric”

Match #6

Match #7
    Ristar - “Greedy Game”

Match #8
    Last edited by Matty; 09-04-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Thread Information