Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite/Least Favorite Music Genres

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Favorite/Least Favorite Music Genres

Simple question. You can also do top 5/10/whatever.
    Here's mine.
    Favorite:
    Rock, specifically Classic Rock, but that isn't a genre. All of my favorite bands are Rock, and most songs i like are Rock.
    Least Favorite:
    1. Rap. I have yet to find a single song i like.
    2. Country. No songs there i like either.
    3. Folk/Folk Rock: Very few songs i like in that.
    What are your faves and least faves?
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

NO MORE SAGGY DIAPER PAINS!!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    1. Rap. I have yet to find a single song i like.
    Listen to Gorillaz and get back to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mutliated_lips
    there are no bad genres, only bad music

Blog Entries

oh and for favorite uh

post punk and jangle pop
    60s pop and 60s pop revival stuff
    first wave emo and emo revival stuff
    psychedelic pop/rock
    french house
    all 80s and 90s and most 00s cheez

there's probably more though. love exploring genres and there's certainly ones to dig deeper into. my post rock knowledge is still lacking.

Banned
    Blog Entries

favourite: britpop, 80/90s alternative and indie, 60s-10s rock
    least favourite: dubstep, heavy metal

Blog Entries

i don't have favorite or least favorite genres, if anything i have phases. i'll go through phases where i listen to a ton of rock, then i'll go through phases where rock just sounds like complete shit to me and all i want to listen to is pop. i'm not too much a fan of country or metal or prog rock, but i don't have issue listening to them, unless they are just completely obnoxious, which goes back to what resort smithers said about bad music.

in any case limiting yourself to what music you listen to by what genre it is seems dumb. saying i don't like "x" because they are rap, it's stupid.

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

fav: 90's/00's rock/alternative/metal/pretty much anything like that

least fav: modern country

Blog Entries

to entertain the idea though and because you have to have relative least favorites my list would be

power metal (the only genre i sometimes get the urge to label as "bad". i like maybe one power metal song out of what i've heard.)
    reggae (someday but it's all so similar to me)
    prog metal (prog ROCK can be great but the really chunky stuff needs to be pummelingly fast or crushingly slow and prog metal is too in-between)
    pop country (i love country, this stuff is not country it's lowest common denominator pop w shoehorned twang)
    deathcore/brutal death metal/slam death metal (mmm childhood)
    horrorcore (mmm childhood)
    nu metal (mmm ch-well you get the idea. deftones rule tho)
    deathgrind (it isn't a good combo imo)
    mainstream house music (utterly joyless stuff that takes the fun outta such a seemingly effortlessly fun genre somehow)

Blog Entries

is hair metal a real genre? 'cause i really don't like most hair metal.

Blog Entries

Favorite. Death metal, melodic death metal, prog rock, folk metal, trip hop, ambient pop, chip tune, jazz

Least favorite. Death/grind core, nu metal, country, screamo, house, dub step, butt rock

Blog Entries

oh yeah add trip hop and vaporwave to my favs list.

dubstep that is based in the excessive abrasion of skrillex and his ilk is p bad but there's alot of chill and intelligent dubstep stuff besides that.

Favorites: Classical (all periods--various styles), EDM (various kinds--dubstep, DnB, glitch hop, trap), indie rock or pop, dream pop, showtunes, hip hop

Least favorites: metal (never been able to get into it), country (there are a few exceptions, but mostly I'm uninterested in it, especially modern stuff), most R&B (I find most of it boring, don't like the singing style), most music with screaming in it

Genres I need to investigate more: Jazz. I've heard little of it, and most of what I've heard I've liked, but I have a very small knowledge of it.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Alright, lets hope this doesn't end the same way it did last time.

Favorites: Rock, metal and some of it's subgenres, rap, blues and whenever I'm in the right mood for it, classical

Least favorites: Crunkcore, the extreme subgenres of metal like deathcore, dubstep, country (Old stuff is fine, but all the newer country songs that I know of just sound the same.) and emo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

I don't really know if I can praise / condemn entire genres so heres some smaller things I like and dislike about music:

likes: really high pitched electronic noises, when theres a fuzzy keyboard / organ that just plays 1-2 notes the entire song, complex drum patterns, extremely specific lyrics, songs about how you hate your body, songs about how you just want to live a full life

dislikes: excessively deep / hoarse vocals, operatic vocals, cringey lyrics about being a heterosexual dude (most of the time), songs that sound like the band takes themselves too seriously
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Like: Get Swifty, whatever genre that is.(it saved our planet).. Most movie soundtracks, "best of" albums

Dislike: Moanie art house whining, bargain basement prog rock,

favorite

pop
    r&b
    dance/trance
    techno

least favorites

death metal - I don't get this.
    rap - it's just boring.
    noise music - irritating.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Current favourites: Britpop, Alternative rock, the little bit of rap/hip hop i've got round to listening to, art rock

Least favourites: I wouldn't say I hate any genre really, but I struggle to find worth in most metal or other screamy rock.
    Last edited by The Spruce Moose; 08-30-2015 at 05:06 AM.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have NEVER been able to get into most rap. dre's new album was okay tho, maybe seeing straight outta compton will change my views on all this shit

I love punk, prog rock, rock, classic rock, brit pop, alternative and whatever ween are (prog rock?)
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Banned
    Blog Entries

there are genres that i didn't like until i got into a certain artist. for instance i didn't like rap until i got into the beastie boys, and i didn't like funk until i got into jamiroquai.

two of my favourite rap songs are karmacoma by massive attack and clint eastwood by gorillaz

Blog Entries

Hating on an entire genre, be it dubstep, metal, emo, house, country, rap or whatever, is stupid, and generally done by people who haven't given the said genre a chance, or heck, don't even know what the genre actually is (I've met several people who say that they ''hate emo'', but when I ask them what emo bands they've heard of, they list Linkin Park, it's extremely pathetic). Hating on a subgenre (e.g nu metal, metalcore etc) is OK if you've given the said subgenre a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by resort smithers View Post
    to entertain the idea though and because you have to have relative least favorites my list would be

power metal (the only genre i sometimes get the urge to label as "bad". i like maybe one power metal song out of what i've heard.)
    Some power metal bands, such as Helloween, are big guilty pleasures for me. I probably wouldn't like them if I got into them today, but there's a lot of sweet sweet nostalgia that I associate with 'em
    reggae (someday but it's all so similar to me)
    I'm no reggae expert, but I recommend that you check out Peter Tosh, very creative music that somebody who doesn't describe themselves as a reggae fan might enjoy
    pop country (i love country, this stuff is not country it's lowest common denominator pop w shoehorned twang)
    Do you know Miranda Lambert? She's a p great musician who could be described as pop country. Also, Taylor Swift rules. I don't care

Blog Entries

taylor swift was only listenable when she became more pop and only actually good wheb she tossed any country i fluence aside and embraced her pop songwriting ability. lambert is p good, the best of her kind and too genuine to be lumped in that genre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentrica Galumbits View Post
    Hating on an entire genre, be it dubstep, metal, emo, house, country, rap or whatever, is stupid, and generally done by people who haven't given the said genre a chance, or heck, don't even know what the genre actually is (I've met several people who say that they ''hate emo'', but when I ask them what emo bands they've heard of, they list Linkin Park, it's extremely pathetic). Hating on a subgenre (e.g nu metal, metalcore etc) is OK if you've given the said subgenre a chance
    Lots of people will likely have genres in which they have few songs they like, or at least less than other genre. I have yet to find any rap or country songs i like, and few folk songs, but i don't hate them because they're in those genres, they just suck.

Blog Entries

Favourite:
    Rock/Pop rock, instrumental

Least favourite:
    1. Bro country. Most of this garbage is about beer, lust, trucks, and embodying and glorifying the redneck stereotype. The majority of singers nowadays have no style 'cause they all sound alike and sing about the same stupid shit.
    2. Rap. "Rap God" is one particular example of a song so overplayed I want to stab my eardrums out with ice picks (this song is not the only reason I dislike it, though). Tupac is good though.
    Last edited by pax; 08-30-2015 at 05:08 PM.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

a disappointing but unsurprising amount of people here who don't like hip-hop. Even if you don't like it seems v silly say there are no good songs of that type

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: closeface

Quote Originally Posted by Eccentrica Galumbits View Post
    Yeah, there's some truth to that. When someone tells me they "hate classical because it's boring", I have to question how much knowledge they have of the 400+ years of such a wide genre...

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: closeface

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

I completely agree with no bad genres, just bad music. If you "hate" a genre, you probably just haven't tried enough of it. There's so much music out there, even just huge amounts within individual genres, and "hating" a genre really just cuts you off from some potentially great (and mind opening) listening. It's especially baffling to see people closing their minds to really broad genres that cover a lot of things. "Hip hop" and "metal" are pretty broad, I see a lot of hate for stuff like that in here, and it just makes me feel like the person saying it has tried the most common/obvious examples of the genre in the most general sense and then went "well it must all be terrible/it must all sound like this."

Strong aversion to screaming and sounding very angry in songs. Knowing me, I'd like the industrial sound of the music itself, though.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Favorites:

1. Alternative
    2. 80s Pop
    3. Grunge
    4. Jazz
    5. Conscious Hip Hop
    6. Pre-90s Metal

Least Favorites:

1. Crunk + Snap
    2. EDM (2012-present)
    3. Death Metal
    Last edited by Infinity183; 01-29-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Banned
    Blog Entries

i don't really like beat music or merseybeat. with groups like the kinks and the small faces i much prefer their later material and don't think much of the early stuff.

Blog Entries

SHAMELESS BUMP

Genres I'm digging at the moment : Alternative Rock, Jazz Rap, Experimental/Art Pop, Art Rock, Trip Hop, Jangle Pop, Concious Hip Hop and Jazz Fusion.

More to come !
    o shit its 2021 and still havent posted on this forum

Thread Information