Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NHC Summer Music Showdown (RESULTS)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

2015 NHC Summer Music Showdown (RESULTS)

We have a decent turn out of 24 members participating with 48 songs to show for it. All the match ups have been randomised. Each round will last roughly three days, I will let you know as we go when each one will end. Rounds will be run the same as last time: 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and the Finals.

Happy listening!

Round 1A
    Round closes on Thursday, July 23 at 6pm (EDT)

Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country
    vs
    Green Day - Favorite Son

Miami Horror - Holidays
    vs
    Japan - Adolescent Sex

Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos
    vs
    Band of Horses - NW Apt.

Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between
    vs
    Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!

Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb
    vs
    Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful

Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank
    vs
    ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid)

The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea
    vs
    Laurie Anderson - From The Air

Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit
    vs
    Why? - Crushed Bones

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good shit, thanks for this smiling
    will vote when I get home

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

will perfect and finish later, but one of the better rounds of songs i've heard in these tournaments

-----

1. Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country vs Green Day - Favorite Son
    moody country á la lee hazlewood is a certified Good Genre. pop punk is not. easy choice

2. Miami Horror - Holidays vs Japan - Adolescent Sex
    holidays is a bland attempt at a feel good summer song that falls flat on its face. literally no quirk, flare or anything to it at all.
    it's interesting to hear japan like this, i'm only familiar with their more synthy 80s stuff, "quiet life", "ghosts" etc. i think i prefer that more brooding stuff to this more punky song, but it's good enough to beat that other track.

3. Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos vs Band of Horses - NW Apt.
    tan lejos ain't bad at all, but i've heard plenty like it in the past (pretty much any english post-punk band)
    band of horses wasn't hugely inspiring though... so decimo victima win this one

4. Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between vs Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!

5. Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb vs Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful
    i kinda like both but i feel like "mr wonderful" is the less predictable and 'by the books' of the two so i'll go with that

6. Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank vs ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid)
    two bad songs. i'll pick the one with a lion wearing a headband on the cover

7. The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea vs Laurie Anderson - From The Air
    this is your captain speaking. this song is better than the other one by a good margin.

8. Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit vs Why? - Crushed Bones
    i just realised that the IBM 1401 song is used in Charlie Brooker's Wipe series a lot! i thought it sounded familiar. i like it.
    Last edited by c l o n e; 07-23-2015 at 03:12 AM.

1. Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country
    Not really a huge fan of either of these, but I disliked neither. Willie Dunn was pleasant enough and something I have less experience with. I like Green Day well enough but this song is not one of their standouts for me. I don't know. Just used which one was new to me as the tie breaker because I'm fairly indifferent to both songs.

2. Japan - Adolescent Sex
    Once again, not totally in love. I did enjoy both songs well enough though. This time around I definitely had a distinct preference as this song just stuck in my head a lot more.

3,Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos
    I keep trying to like Band of Horses, I do want to. It feels like something I should like. But I just find it a little dull honestly. Decima Victima was pretty cool and new to me.

4. Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!
    I didn't fall in love with either, but I did really like both. I have a soft spot for female vocalists and a soft spot for non-English tracks, so I went with Yanka, but it's not out of dislike for the other track.

5. Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful
    Really enjoyed both of these ones, found myself bobbing my head along to them and want to hear more from both artists. Bummed that one of these will have to go right off. That said, I was especially fond of the Saint Pepsi track, which I found all around really interesting.

I actually liked both of these pretty well. ICQ was funky and fun, something I could jam to. Port Blue is something I was already familiar with but really liked for how soothing it was. This is one of those ones where it could have gone either way and I am choosing based on my mood.

7. Laurie Anderson - From The Air
    I like the Stranglers well enough, but this one was an easy choice for me. Laurie Anderson is something I have been meaning to get into, it's exactly my cup of tea. Toiler On The Sea felt like it went on a bit.

8. Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit
    IBM 1401 Processing Unit was lovely, the kind of thing I could meditate to, something I loved. That said this was actually pretty hard for me, I really did like Crushed Bones. It might have won for me against a different song. Once again, bummed that one of these will go right away.

My favourite tracks this round were Mr. Wonderful, From the Air, and IBM 1401 Processing Unit.
    Last edited by Smiling Politely; 07-21-2015 at 10:09 AM.

1. Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country (Not the worst song off of American Idiot, but it's still pretty bland. Love Willie Dunn)
    2. Miami Horror - Holidays (That other song was horrid)
    3. Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos (Dig both of these songs.)
    4. Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between (Other song was horrible. Sounds like something you would've recorded when you 14 and just getting into punk. I mean that in the worst way. Sunset Rubdown are cool)
    5. Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb (Both are bad)
    6. Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank (Both are bad)
    7. The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea (An okay song vs. a terrible song)
    8. Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit (Loved this track. The Why? track isnt horrible, but it's not good.)
    Last edited by Nwordpassforsale; 07-21-2015 at 08:57 AM.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1: Favourite Son - Green Day
    2: Holidays - Miami Horror
    3: NW Apt - Band of Horses
    4: Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between
    5: Sore Thumb - Fujiya & Miyagi
    6: In The Dolphin Tank - Port Blue
    7: Toiler On The Sea - The Stranglers
    8: will listen to later
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Banned
    Blog Entries

1. Green Day - Favorite Son
    3. Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos
    4. Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between
    5. Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb
    6. ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party
    7. The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea
    8. Why? - Crushed Bones
    Last edited by Johnny Deformed; 07-22-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

do we pick our own songs or what?
    :gatorpee:

What do you mean? You just vote for whatever song you think is better

Blog Entries

2. Miami Horror - Holidays
    6. Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank

Neither track in the first matchup was that good, but Willie Dunn's "I Pity the Country" was at the very least relaxing.

Miami Horror and Japan were both very strong entries, with "Holidays" being the one to get my vote on the basis of it being a bit more feelgood. Put me in a nice mood. Weird video though. What the fuck was up with the Dr. Zoidberg style face appendages?

That Décima Víctima track is just... fuck, I adored it. Every little thing about that style of music just grabs me by the balls and reels me in. "NW Apt." by Band of Horses wasn't bad either, but the former was just too fucking good for me to not give it my vote.

Had to not look at the video for the Sunset Rubdown entry because it was too distracting from the actual song, which was just sorta... meh. Not really my thing, but I didn't hate it, which is lucky for whoever uploaded it because that "Prodano!" song sucked enough ass to make me still give "Us Ones in Between" my vote. Seriously though, "Prodano!" has given me a fucking migraine.

"Sore Thumb" wasn't anything special, but it was a chill little track and overall I found it to be pretty neat. Same can be said for the video. Saint Pepsi's "Mr. Wonderful" on the other hand was... well, wonderful. Loved every little thing about it from start to finish, though I feel like it ended a second or two too early. Another standout song of the round alongside Décima Víctima nonetheless.

Well fuck, another really standout track to be found in the form of "In The Dolphin Tank" by Port Blue. Beautiful piece. Just beautiful and OHHHHH FUCK! First tough choice of the showdown for me because this Tupperware Remix Party track kicks some fucking serious ass. It's a super close call but I feel like Port Blue is the one I'd be more likely to listen to more often, so it gets my vote here.

"Toiler on the Sea" was a super mixed bag. It started out sorta iffy, then it got ok, then the singing started and it sucked, then some cool stuff happened with the music, and then the shitty singer came back to fuck it all up. Laurie Anderson's "From The Air" was kinda neat, I guess. Nothing amazing but it really doesn't take much to sway me away from giving a vote to that Stranglers song.

"IBM 1401 Processing Unit" is the sort of thing where ordinarily I'd dismiss it for being too weird, too long and overall just a track containing fuck all worth talking about. But I liked it. I'm not sure why, but I did. That "Crushed Bones" track felt like it was all over the fucking place though.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Miami Horror - Holidays

ICQ message sound randomly popping up made me laugh

Why? - Crushed Bones

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3. Band of Horses - NW Apt.

6. ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid)

7. The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea

1. Willie Dunn
    2. Japan
    3. Band of Horses
    4. Sunset Rubdown
    5. Fujiya & Miyagi
    6. ICQ
    7. The Stranglers
    8. Jóhann Jóhannsson
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Groupie View Post
    If a dude tried to cum on my face I would remove his testicles.

Neither styles of music are ones I listen to with any frequency, but I really dig I Pity the Country. Green Day song is inoffensive but just not doing anything for me. I would enjoy seeing it on, say, a THPS soundtrack, though.

Neither really stuck out to me but enjoyed Adolescent Sex more.

3. Band of Horses - NW Apt.
    Haha wow the other band does sound a bit like Joy Division. Really neat sound but enjoy NW Apt. more.

Not much to say here.

Dang. Liked both. Mr. Wonderful sounds like some sweet ass Wii Channel or Mario Kart menu music remix. I like.

6. Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank
    In the Dolphin Tank is my kind of stuff. Close call for me. Digging that ICQ song.

Did not care tons for either but warmed up to From the Air halfway through.

Enjoyed both but I gotta go for IBM. Relaxing, tranquil, and as someone who works with IBM crap everyday it feels right.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Gonna be brief because this is a "busy free time" week for me (finishing a video). When does voting end for this round, @Smiling Politely?

Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country (solid stuff, very rustic, etc.)
    vs.
    Green Day - Favorite Son (this sure is a Green Day song)

Miami Horror - Holidays (I love everything about this)
    vs
    Japan - Adolescent Sex (like the lilt of the melody, interesting vocals, a little too repetitive sometimes with the hook, however)

Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos (really enjoy the reverb-y guitars and the deepness of the sound)
    vs
    Band of Horses - NW Apt. (another nice sweeping guitar song, really close call here)

Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between (love the initial minimalism and how it progresses, the chimes and the whistling, the siren sound gets old, though)
    vs
    Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano! (didn't do much for me, this guitar sound is usually a hard sell for me)

Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb (neat song, enjoy the how much they lean on the offbeats in the cadence
    vs
    Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful (fun matchup, another interesting song! liking the driving pulse of it, and the vocals and almost soulful progression of it wins it for me)

Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank (relaxing, enjoying the vibe, wish there was a little more of it, honestly)
    vs
    ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid) (so funky, my brain can't handle it, I think I like it more when the synth voice goes away, however)

The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea (this song keeps teetering on the edge of being annoying but manages to stay on the good side overall, feels like the kind of song that would grow on me)
    vs
    Laurie Anderson - From The Air (what a shame. liking the sassy saxophone a lot, but it just doesn't go anywhere!)

Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit (beautiful)
    vs
    Why? - Crushed Bones (I just can't do the vocals)

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Gonna be brief because this is a "busy free time" week for me (finishing a video). When does voting end for this round
    Voting ends Thursday evening. I put the the date/time under the round title just so anyone else who missed that knows.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

vs
    Green Day - Favorite Son

Miami Horror - Holidays
    vs
    Japan - Adolescent Sex

vs
    Band of Horses - NW Apt.

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs
    Why? - Crushed Bones

Blog Entries

alrilght here we go

Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country: wow. i feel like i rarely know which kind of country music i'm really seeking and as a result hear very little. i can now say that this is everything i'm looking for. gorgeously emotional right out of the gate, lovely vocal performance and dazzling guitar, the tone perfectly deep but still delicate, softly jangling through a progression that sounds like the instrument is weeping, allowing each note to ring out with such definitive beauty. i think i hear minimal percussion, but that might just be popping? either way i like it. this is simply really pretty music and that main guitar line that follows each verse is so arrestingly lovely, i can just bask it. love this
    vs
    Green Day - Favorite Son: i have nothing against green day but if i'm gonna listen to them it will likely be their earlier work. this seems to be trying to recapture those snot-nosed bursts of pop punk noise of earlier records but i'm reminded of innumerable songs by the offspring post americana, where it seems like a coasting on previous successful tactics with nothing new injected. i like the little "isn't it a drag" bit vocally, otherwise armstrong is soundin kinda flat here. the guitar tone too is a bit flat and muddy, clearly intended to lay down chunky riffs that disappear as soon as they fall down. this is fine but there are so many better green day songs alone. so yeah not a winner.

point goes to willie dunn

Miami Horror - Holidays: beach party mixtape stuck on repeat. this is so immaculately produced in that "throw every color at the canvas" way that i can't dislike it. i mean it's perfectly dancable as is, but the filtered pianos, summery jangling guitars, squelchy bass and cosmic extended keys expanding just beneat the groove really paint a vivid and thorough picture. each color blends without swirling into mud. the vocals aren't extraordinary but they get the job done especially for the chorus. i like this enough to enjoy it on a vacation driveor or a lonely dance party.
    vs
    Japan - Adolescent Sex: there's something immediately awkward about this. not the fact that it's called "adolescent sex" either. the song jumps in with this muddy drum beat that sounds both too fast and too slow, then these dumb grinding guitars that portray dumb rock in their essence grind over the vocals. honestly sounds like a toy ROCK GUITAR rather than a real sound someone went for. the lead vocals sound almost playfully sinister which is neat but the harmonies feel unearned on the thin backbone of sonics. but then we break into a great chorus of more insistently dancy drumming, starry keys and some more creative guitar noodling which does indeed create a firm arrangement for those harmonies to properly ride and ascend the tune. and those low warbles of "just keep on dancin'" haha i love it. then when it breaks back into the "get on up" bit it feels progressed as more cosmic key work supplies an extra heaping of atmosphere. THEN it kinda mostly squanders the next verse in dumb rock territory but has the intelligence to play to the strengths of the track from there, not letting that key progression get away again. a bit frustratingly undercooked in places but a good tune.

point goes to japan

Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos: joy division style frigid post punk, the guitars are nice but clearly not intended to be the focus as vast snare hits and calculated bass grooves truly guide the track. i would like the guitars to be slightly higher in the mix as i feel that though the bass groove is good it feels like it's burying part of the track of that it should be the undercurrent to the guitar rather than the lead instrument here. it leaves this track with alot of resonating groove but with little to truly hook onto. the production is fittingly spacious and keys assist in creating a cold and dark atmosphere, which is typical of this sound but well executed here. the vocals are as appropriately moody and eerie as one would expect, with subtle and frail changes to suggest but not assault with emotion. good but not a gem of it's sound.
    vs
    Band of Horses - NW Apt.: i like some boh but uh ehhhhhh? i never loved this tune, the constant pounding rock riffing and slamming percussion should feel huge, it should pump me up and though it is listenable and in moments a bit engaging, it doesn't have alot to hold it together. the riffs are clearly meant to be potent in their sheer persistence rather than any technique or even tone, the sound is another lunk-headedly simple muddy tone that plods atop the percussive stomp. i've heard alot of great songs in this form, where the instruments are seemingly eternally rising towards SOMETHING. but this doesn't feel so much like it's pushing forward as it's kinda playing in circles. not bad but not great

point goes to decima victima

Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between: there's something to be said about finding a piece of singer/songwriter music nowadays, in a world of innumerable folks hammerin pianos or strumming guitars or even ukeleles to an endless number of barebones tunes, that is WHOLLY UNIQUE. maybe it's the vaguely industrial percussion that pleasingly contrasts and yet supports the lovely chord progression, the increasing background noise that sound like sirens going off in a town who's fate has been sealed. there's a frailty and urgency to the arrangement and the vocals fully support that, beautiful and entirely earnest. nothing here has been made with anything but a sincerity of pouring emotion into every element. and seriously GODDAMN that siren call of noise, just massive and powerful. now the sprinkling of bells could make it dopey but it's just utterly charming in this context. the uh WHISTLING is a finger-wag moment but i'll allow cuz everything else is perfect. this is wonderful, thank you whoever nom'd this. i'm going to go listen to more sunset rubdown...uh after i finish this.
    vs
    Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!: damn that's a grungy guitar tone! hell this whole thing is frazzled and noisy. if there's a bass drum in there it has been produced into vapor because it largely sounds like the percussionist was handed sticks and sat in front of a snare and one crash cymbal. nothing wrong with that mind. the production swirls the guitar and bass almost completely together even as their melodies separate, and creates something of a vacuum-packed grunge sound. it's quite cool and the vocals (fuzzy as they are) are enjoyable and expressive. demo quality garage rock from siberia? didn't know i wanted this, but i dig it

both good tunes but it has to be sunset rubdown

Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb: ah yes i know these guys. i like their brand of creeping whispery krautrock, the grooves always feel like they're crawling right towards you, and the vocals sound like they talking directly into your ears. intimate music that maybe you wish was otherwise. there is a pleasing minimalism to these songs too, heavily only adding new instrumentation to further drive the oddball grooves. keys aren't here for specific melodies, they're here to hammer against the thumping bassline. well uh okay except for the actual ascending key solo! but the minimal use of conventional melody really keeps this fresh and it's well arranged to make the groove feel downright monstrous as it builds. great tune.
    vs
    Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful: perfect pop music can be elusive, largely because what makes a great pop song itself can be hard to nail down. there is a grand array of exciting things happening in this tune, it fills the air with waves of synths and structures a backbone of firm snapping trap synths. the hybrid of rawer percussion and color synths is a successful, rattlesnake hi hats and intermittent FL STUDIO PRESET TRIANGLE SOUNDS playing nice with beautiful buzzing synth melodies and etheral arpeggios. it's a song that feels as big as the planet, as massive as it needs to be to compliment each new addition to make it feel fuller. it's like stadium chillwave. the vocal sample injected bridges are great, the first full of a heart-pumping adrenaline and sense of triumph, whereas the second gives pause and lets the field of sound largely dissipate into soft lo-fi sounds, feeling contemplative, like floating through space, before falling back down into an army of clashing percussion and soft synths, contrasting with beauty and understanding of how opposites attract. there is so much going on in just 3 minutes and it's breathtaking. it's a journey and it has a massive scope. great stuff.

both great but point goes to saint pepsi

Port Blue - In The Dolphin Tank: sounds like the shit bill hicks polluted his last two records with. i love cheese but i love EXCITING CHEESE and this is like the most innocuous ambient comprised of sounds that don't emit beauty but emit THIS IS A LINKIN PARK INSTRUMENTAL vibes. yeah uh, i haven't much to say about this and i feel like i'm being kinda mean here but i don't dig this. music for adult contemporary airports.
    vs
    ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid): space dandy soundtrack level absurd synth grooves. fucking excessive and stupid and god this is fun. another track where every instrument is supplying a piece to a massive groove, this time each sound turned up to it's cartoonish extreme of course. robot vocals that make daft punk sound they're just speaking in monotone, wild slap bass noodling, HUGE spacey synths all around, leaving no room to breathe but plenty explore. it feels like a constant propulsion forward into further interstellar delights, leaving little time for respite and never taking itself too seriously. oh and scratching. which it doesn't need but only serves to further cement the delightful insanity. random access memories on a LOT of cocaine. fun fun fun.

point easily goes to twrp

may cobble together some deeper thoughts on these later

The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea: huh it's like a prog punk suite. littered with good moments, though honestly i was hoping it was actually instrumental. the gritty vocals are fine but i don't think they compliment what's being done here. the music continues to travel unpredictable places and overall be very - don't like usin this word but it fits - epic.
    vs
    Laurie Anderson - From The Air: haha this is so manic. no subtlety in those horns, just blasting all over everything. i like this, it's gleefully loose and sounds wrong. i like things that sound wrong.

gonna go with the stranglers

Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit: i haven't the words. why do i love this? i'm not gonna bother attempting to put this one into words. it speaks for itself. god how beautiful.
    vs
    Why? - Crushed Bones: white people.

point goes to johann johansson
    Last edited by tyler; 07-22-2015 at 11:58 AM.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

1.Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country: I like even love some of Green Day's output but this is just bland post Nimrod shit that anyone could write. This is basically a Warning track that just got lost in the shuffle. Willie Dunn is simply beautiful.
    2. Miami Horror - Holidays : This one is fine. The other one was actually so shitty
    3, Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos : Although there's lots that sounds like this and it actually sounds really similar to a JD song it's still good. Band of Horses always come off as that band that your parents friend who is still "hip" with music would make you listen to
    4. Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones in Between :Listenable song vs. just whatever that was.
    5. Fujiya & Miyagi - Sore Thumb :zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    6. ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid) : zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    7. The Stranglers - Toiler on the Sea : not the biggest Stranglers guy but this is certainly the better tune here
    8. Jóhann Jóhannsson - IBM 1401 Processing Unit : Every showdown i hope i can find one or two things that I might listen after it's all done and i think i found it here

Japan - Adolescent Sex
    Why? - Crushed Bones

The following people either need to vote still or need to finish off their votes. Voting for round 1A will end in about 24 hours.
    @c l o n e @Elliot75 @The Thompsons @Jims @zach @ThatsAPaddlin @deadname @Xaiv @hamm @Insomnia

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

will finish mine off tomorrow morning/night

Blog Entries

gonna finish this and write reviews tomorrow

4. Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!

6. ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid)

8. Why? - Crushed Bones
    Last edited by deadname; 07-23-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Green Day- Favorite Son ( I feel really unclean after voting for this but it is the lesser of two evils)
    Japan- Adolescent Sex
    Band Of Horses- NW Apt.
    Yanka Dyagileva- Prodano!
    Johann Johansson- IBM 1401 Processing Unit

Goin' on the Ipod, great stuff.
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 07-22-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Willie Dunn
    2. Japan
    3. Band of Horses
    4. Sunset Rubdown
    5. Saint Pepsi
    6. ICQ
    7. The Stranglers
    8. IBM

Blog Entries

1.Willie Dunn - I Pity the Country (Really beautiful. I game Green Day a fair listen, but this song would have beat most anything it was paired with in this first selection)

2.Japan - Adolescent Sex (I've always really liked they're older sound. Miami Horror just felt too safe and soundtrack ready)

3.Décima Víctima - Tan Lejos

4.Yanka Dyagileva - Prodano!

5.Saint Pepsi - Mr Wonderful

6. ICQ - Tupperware Remix Party (Feat. Skratch Bastid) (Of the two, this one has a pulse)

7. Laurie Anderson - From The Air (it was really down to like vs love)

Sorry for the lack of detailed notes
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

on holiday without wi-fi (just data), will start voting as soon as i get a chance but won't be this round. sorry.

01. green day - favorite son
    02. miami horror - holidays
    03. band of horses - nw apt.
    04. yanka dyagileva - prodano!
    05. fujiya & miyagi - sore thumb
    06. tupperware remix party - ICQ (favourite song of the round)
    07. the stranglers - toiler on the sea
    08. why? - crushed bones

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

one:

vs
    Green Day - Favorite Son

i concur with jim's reaction of "that sure is a greenday song". i'm kind of a fan of greenday, especially the american idiot album (though i've never heard this particular song, so i imagine it was cut? or part of a deluxe edition of the album?) but this is just kinda of uninspired to me. it's not bad by any means, there's just no spark there for me. on the other hand, the country/folk number was really quite nice. it had a good flow to it. it just seemed to have more of a soul. and i like that in a song.

two:

Miami Horror - Holidays
    vs
    Japan - Adolescent Sex

jammy song. can't help but like it!
    the other one... not really my thing. kind of generically weird and bland. music and vocals are just simply inoffensive.

three:

vs
    Band of Horses - NW Apt.

fine vs fine.
    but i'm a lover of lyrics, so can't really face any song in another language, unless the tune is really great, but tan lejos is just kind of plain. i like the album artwork of the dude tho!

four:

vs

i like both of these but that sunset rubdown song is just beautiful.
    prodano is good too, but its mostly a fuzz of bland guitar noise with some really neat vocals. haha, i guess you can ignore my previous comment about language barriers.

five;

vs

these are both awesome in their own ways. when i heard sore thumb, i was pretty confident it was gonna win the pair-up but then i put the next on and well, the music on mr wonderful is just joyous. great tune!

six:

vs

chilled out tune vs. ?????

seven:

vs

liked both.

eight:

vs
    Why? - Crushed Bones

processing unit is simply beautiful.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."