Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I thought the trailer looked really good. I actually like the cuter, more rounded look of the dinosaurs... It's an interesting contrast between the realism of the setting and the action and stuff. Story looks a little minimalist, hoping it won't just be a simple re-tread of ideas from Ice Age and How to Train Your Dragon.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I was kind of skeptical about this movie at first not just because Inside Out is a tough act to follow, but because the teaser revealed so little. Not that it's a bad thing, but I wasn't really won over by it. Now that there's a lengthy trailer it looks like it could be decent, but it doesn't look very original and I'm still skeptical about it. While I can see the whole How to Train Your Dragon comparison, but for me I thought of Dinosaur when I watched the trailer. You know, that Disney movie from 2000 that not a lot of people remember? Yeah, it's kind of reminding me of that except with a caveman instead of lemurs which isn't a good sign because even though I liked that movie, it's pretty forgettable as even I had forgotten about it until I saw this trailer. Also I don't like saying this but the animation in that movie looks better than it does here. The animation looks similar to The Croods which also isn't a good sign as it looks like Frozen all over again where the animation looks the same as Tangled, but it will still be praised anyways. Now this movie does have the potential to be good despite the familiar territory. I mean Brave wasn't really original, but I love it more than the majority of Pixar fans do. It could also be a letdown though and I'm hoping it doesn't suck, but from the looks of this movie I'm expecting it to be decent at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

Looks like a simple concept considering that the creators did a great job with "Finding Nemo" and "Inside Out," but it still looks cute to me. I do like the cartoony characters overtop of the realistic background. I just hope the story is a lot more developed and not cliched to match other prehistoric films.

Banned

I had been waiting in ages for that.

Blog Entries

sick link to the homepage of youtube

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Fakename View Post

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

I'm on my Kindle.

Blog Entries

I can easily picture rem as one of those kids who still think it's not the lamest thing in the world to mark "FIRST!" on the comments section of a youtube video

anyways

twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Banned

I had been waiting in months for this movie.

The movie looks better and better for each teaser/trailer they put out (and I think I've gotten used to the cartoony dinosaurs/realistic surroundings combination by now since it didn't feel so wierd this time).

Blog Entries

yea, this looks really good. can't wait to see it

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm getting serious 'The Lion King' vibes from this, what with the (possibly) dead father and the survival in the wild with a stranger(s).

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

It looks great.

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a review of the short film that will play before The Good Dinosaur.

I actually just saw the entire short at a screening conference with Sanjay Patel. We rarely see an opportunity for Indian culture to be presented in Western media so I thought I would share this video here, and it's just fantastic that Lasseter and the producers have approved of this pitch. Got to see some behind the scenes footage which was pretty insightful and poignant.
    Inactive. Find me on twitter instead.
    @charcandids

The director of this movie,.. Peter Sohn, .. was the visual inspiration/model for the Korean-American boy scout in the Pixar film "UP!"
    He also does some voice acting,.. he did Remy's brother "Emile" in Ratatouille

Info courtesy NPR interview

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

I cant wait for the Good Dinosaur, If there is an 11AM showing of it at my regal Theater on Monday November the 30th then that is when I will see it !!!!!!!! have you guys heard the Soundtrack? It is beautiful, you can get the Soundtrack on Spotify !!!!!!!!!!

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Caught an advance screening of this on Monday night. The story is about as straightforward as they come but the animation itself is visually breathtaking. This is a real looker of a film. And I'm not just talking about stills or breathtaking backdrops. More how Arlo and Spot animate mechanically within the physics of their environment. It's really quite something.

Certainly not as strong as Inside Out but not a bad movie by any means.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5
    The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - 2.5/5 / Warrin' Priests - 2/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - 4.5/5 / The Way of the Dog - 5/5

Blog Entries

About to pass out, so I'll give a short review: beautiful, gorgeous animation; tepid story and terrible pacing... only a few times where the story actually manages to perk up past the visuals. probably pixar's worst film since cars 2, tho not quite as bad... so just mediocre.

It is getting mixed reviews from the media hopefully I enjoy it when I see it Monday, I am sure I will !!!!!!!! if just the visuals alone are breathtaking I am sure I will love it!!!!!!!!

It was okay. Could have done without the protagonist constantly screaming. Along with that, it felt too much like a nod to lion king in some parts and the ending (not including the scene with the kid uniting with his family) was a letdown. It looks as if the family was going to survive anyway, whether or not Papa and Arlo made it back. 3/5
    Last edited by Startug; 11-25-2015 at 06:58 PM.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I guess I liked it more than most of you. The story was simple but effective--reminded me of a slightly-less-good Finding Nemo, with two unlikely characters going on an odyssey and having mini-adventures. I really enjoyed the two leads; Arlo was played younger than I expected but felt original because of his child-like fear, anger, and sense of wonder. Spot may have been my favorite character, a delightful pet-type who delivered some of the most entertaining moments as well as some of the saddest ones.

The visuals were surprisingly great, some of Pixar's absolute best, I'd say. Most of the environments were photorealistic, and the character designs ended up not clashing with them like I originally feared. Really good soundtrack as well.

I also found it refreshing how the movie didn't seem to force the humor very much, instead unfolding more like an action/adventure type of film, with Arlo's clumsiness played for visceral impact and injury rather than slapstick (usually). The stakes felt somehow higher with the extra bit of primal brutality (well, for a Pixar show).

That said, I agree with the complaints that it felt formulaic at times. There were more than a couple elements borrowed from The Lion King, and the early exposition with the family making their mark felt too telegraphed to  really feel like a heartwarming reward/surprise when Arlo predictably puts his footprint on the silo at the end.  As creative as they are, Pixar tends to lean on some hoary old storytelling techniques at times and the cracks occasionally show. But despite it not being a top ten Pixar for me, The Good Dinosaur kept me entertained throughout thanks to its likable leads, gorgeous scenery, and the occasional daring sequence. B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

When I saw this clip I new that this movie was way more then just a kids movie about Dinosaurs, way more then say a movie like The Land Before Time!!! I am seeing the Good Dinosaur on Monday Morning, I will let you guys know what I thought after I see It ?

https://youtu.be/UhDxAWKafZQ

Blog Entries

As with every Pixar movie, I had high expectations for The Good Dinosaur. Although there's a few decent things going for it, I don't know if I can quite call it genuinely good. There are some problems with it, most likely stemming from its development issues, but it also has quite a bit of heart and emotion to it, and some nice scenes here and there.

The movie follows an alternate world where Dinosaurs and Humans live together. A young dinosaur named Arlo unsuccessfully tries to fit in with his family and mark his place, despite having a timid yet cowardice personality. After an unexpected event happens, it leads him to start a friendship with a Caveboy named Spot. He becomes lost and tries to return home.

The story is pretty straightforward and some of the humour seems to be aimed more for kids, but it's still funny for adults in places. It is visually stunning, with cartoony animals mixed with realistic backgrounds and reflective waters, and the music is effective when needed to be. Our protagonist Arlo is both likable and relatable, which is always a good thing, and Spot has his moments in short bursts. As for the other characters, Arlo's father will be reminiscent to a certain Disney character, but that's not a bad thing, and the others seem to be not as important to the story, but have some development time in there.

I think my biggest problem with The Good Dinosaur is that it feels a little inconsistent and "Been there, done that" at times. The first half I feel is stronger than the second, and there's a bit of a homage to a specific genre in there. Most importantly, I cared about the characters, but maybe I was expecting more from Pixar I don't know. I seem to notice the more effective emotional scenes were either the silent ones, or ones that were kind of loosely based on previous Animated movies that popped right in my head at the time of watching, so not being entirely original could be considered a problem to some.

Despite the shortcomings, I found The Good Dinosaur entertaining. It's probably in the weaker tier of Pixar movies, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's kind of halfway between average and good, and I feel the troubled production and staff switching caused it to be a mixed bag, although good intentions are clearly shown throughout the movie. Kids will certainly like it, and adults will at the very least appreciate what the movie tried to achieve.

6.5/10
    My Top 100 Simpsons episodes

My Simpsons season rankings (1-23):

6 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 4 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 12 > 1 > 11 > 16 > 15 > 13 > 17 > 14 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23 > 21 > 22

Simon Era - Reiss Era - Mirkin Era - Oakley Era - Scully Era - Jean Era

Blog Entries

Currently poised to possibly be Pixar's first financial flop

Was bound to happen sometime I guess

Blog Entries

how much did it make

Blog Entries

$55 5-day with a $39 mil 3-day. Pixar's lowest grossing (unadjusted) first weekend since Bugs' Life. (comparatively Inside Out made $90 mil in 3 days) It's been doing poorly OS as well and analysts are saying that the word of mouth is weaker than most Pixar films. Currently slated to (barely) hit $150+ mil on a $200+ mil budget with decent legs. OS will help a little as always, but not enough to cover marketing and possible deep development costs hidden from its troubled production

Blog Entries

yeah, it doesn't really look that good from the trailers. not sure i'd chalk it's failure up to lack of marketing, it was all over the ad breaks for the football games yesterday.

people have been calling for a pixar bomb since ratatouille at least and i guess they finally got it.

Blog Entries

kind of bums me out that this isn't doing all that well, but it was bound to happen sometime.

I wonder if the over-abundance of sequels coming out soon will help the company. do they have anymore original ideas besides that 'day of the dead' story?

Blog Entries

really doesn't surprise me this isn't doing so well. there's nothing really original or interesting to be done at this point with a movie about dinos. i feel that in the year 2015 dinosaur movies aren't a particular source of creativity. that well run dry a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I saw The Good Dinosaur today, and I loved it, the visuals were stunning, the Score was Magnificent, and it had all the heart of the best Pixar films It had me and my dad in tears in the end kind of similar to how we were after inside out! so IMHO It was just as good as Inside Out but a totally different film then Inside Out tonally !!!!!!!!!

one thing I dug about the score was it reminded me of a Western and so did the Film with Sam Shepard and the T-Rex's, the score had a feel to it like Brave Heart as well which I loved also!!!!!!!!

I think the real reason it is flopping at the box office is how good Inside Out was but at the same time I feel it is unfair to compare the two films they are two different animals so to speak. might have been a poor decision on Pixar's part to have two Pixar movies come out the same year so close together. Like I said I loved TGD and thought it was just as good as Inside Out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although 55 million in it's opening weekend is not a flop to me, last night while watching the Peanuts special They ran a Promo for TGD and boasted the # 1 kids movie at the Box Office on opening weekend, again how is that a flop ? And it came in Second to The Hunger Games, Not to shabby if you ask me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ; 12-01-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Thread Information