Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Star vs The Forces of Evil News and Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

@Wile E. the Brain, I was thinking about it before but after that last episode I definitely agree that Marco has become one big butt monkey and punching bag this season. While he always used to be a bit goofy and funny it feels like they've demoted him to just a supporting character who's there for other characters to make fun of (and this case bully; Janna insinuating that it's easy to hate him when he's, at least in my view, actually pretty likeable came out of nowhere, is pretty mean spirited and goes against of her wierd fascination with him).

Also, something that I've picked up on is that I don't feel that strong bond Star and Marco had in the first two seasons anymore; they used to be besties and shared a lot of stuff together, complementing each other really well, but from the third season and on I cannot feel that same thick friendship between them. I'm probably exaggerating here (as some later episodes have clearly shown the bond between them) but that friendship spark feels like it has faded some. Do any of you feel it too or is it just me?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-11-2019 at 06:19 AM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

You're absolutely right about Marco. I don't say he never used to be a butt monkey and somehow, this is a part of his charm to be the center of a lot of jokes, but here I almost have the feeling he just here to take the bullets of the other characters. And that line from Janna in Meteora's Lesson really bugged me. It's just mean. I always thinked Janna and Marco's relationship is a case of "I make fun of you because I like you", you know, kind of Warners and Scratchansniff relationship from Animaniacs, but that line implies that Janna just bullies him and easily hates him while he's still likeable. Marco already have Ponyhead for that kind of relationship, heck.

I noticed too. But I guess it's because of the turn that take their relationship since her confess in Starcrushed. Since their love feelings toward each other is (seemingly) broken since The Curse of the Blood Moon, maybe they will return to the kind of best friends bonding we always loved from them.

And one last thing :

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Now that you mention Jackie I feel more miffed about that. Won't forgive how they treated her in the series with her being such an likeable and cool character, getting multiple appearances and all the building up Marco and his relationship with her only to throw it in the garbage in the third season and sideline her far into the background and to the point of pretty much not existing anymore. That's not how you treat an supporting character who's been there from the start; even though she stopped being the target of Marco's affections she didn't at all need to be forgotten about.
    I can't agree more. I'm still very disappointed that they basically threw her out of the show since season 3 while she's a likeable character and used to have such a great relationship with Marco. If Jackie simply stayed Marco's interest without going that further like in season 1, it wouldn't have bothered me, but then, we had a number of episodes that gave more personnality and more importance to Jackie and that built she and Marco's relationship to the point they were a genuinely adorable couple. And getting rid of her after all of this is just a shame.

Just got done watching today's episodes and unfortunately like most of Season 4 so far this was another mixed bag offering.

Knight Shift was OK but Queen Napped not only turned out to be disappointing but I'd go as far as to consider it one of the show's worst. And without spoiling things, knowing why I hate some of the show's other worst episodes should give a good hint as to why this one is alongside them.

Junkin' Janna started off slow but picked up around the halfway mark and A Spell with No Name turned out to be decent despite me not usually caring for the episodes that take place inside the wand.

Here's how I'd rank them:
    Junkin' Janna
    A Spell with No Name
    Knight Shift
    Queen Napped
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Watched the new episodes and I too think these were a mixed bag, not at all as good as most of last week's.

'Knight Shift' was a decent one. Marco finally getting to be a knight like he always wanted but changing his mind the last minute and wants to get out since he doesn't want to be an assigned knight all his life was an good story (though odd that he thought of not wanting to be a full-time knight until now? Feels kind of a betrayal to his character wanting out as soon as push comes to show. He should have nown that being a knight is a commitment). There were some good jokes in there with the other knights and the knighting party, which some other characters from before (like Higgs and the Mr. Candle guy) and Marco resisting them forcing him not to bail on them and fighting them was a nice bit of action. Wasn't too sure about Marco being smug and boasts of his accomplishments in the Neverzone but liked the jokes of the other new knights wanting to go there, not knowing time works differently there but all of them deciding to remain there. The conflict between Star and Marco as the former is disappointed he doesn't want to be a knight was done well and their reconcilation at the end with Marco's gift to her (a cape to match the one she got for him) was sweet.

'Queen Napped' was not so good at all and honestly pretty dire. I guess the plot with Eclipsa suddenly disappearing and being revealed to have been kidnapped by a bunch of hooded demonic figures who sends a ransom video and has Star, Marco and company going on a quest to find and rescue her was a good concept and I liked some of the moments (such as Babs reappearing) but the way they executed the story didn't work for me. I didn't think it ever got any interesting and it never was that funny at all and Ponyhead was there for the ride, this time being especially grating and annoying (was it just me or was she talking incredibly fast this time around?). It was pretty dull overall and a little boring to be honest with nothing that really stood out nor had anything really good to point out; it just chugged along and had the ending surprise as the big thing and nothing more.

The ending twist (SPOILER!!!) with the kidnapping being a hoax orchestrated by Ponyhead to make Eclipsa popular was lame. I kinda expected something like that, it felt cheap and insulting as this plot should have been better off as much less of a filler episode and I doubt that the livestream of the kidnapping drama getting over 1000 likes can sway the population into suddenly going from hating to liking Eclipsa. I will give Ponyhead some credit as she actually tried to increase Eclipsa's popularity even though the way she did it was really mean-spirited, manipulative and left her friends in the dark, but seeing as how sociopathic and narcisstic she is it's probably the best she can do. They should have had 'The Ponyhead Show' be 22 minutes and had this ep be the second half. One of the worst and most pointless episodes.

'Junkin' Janna' was not excellent in any way but still pretty good. Pairing up Janna and Tom for an adventure of the own felt pretty fresh and I liked their little dynamic in this adventure with Janna messing around by using a giant metal boot found in the junk heap as a sled and dragging Tom into it, all whil Star and Eclipsa is visiting the Magic High Commission at their tower; some nice gags such as Tom's obsession with contacting Star over his phone and Eclipsa, Star having to accept the tower guard's home made donuts (great visual of Star with her pockets overflowing of donuts and green-faced, quesy Eclipsa) & Rhombulus getting beat up off screen. It didn't fully open up until around midway in when the crow appeared (Janna wanting Tom to blas it was bizarre; So Janna is into animal cruelty now? Sometimes these characterizations make no sense) and it snatching up the giant metal boot with it's surprising super strength and Janna & Tom following it to the old Butterfly castle was intriguing. Liked the reveal of Mina being the one who collects these old giant part of armor to build a knight colossus for her scheme and the Magic High Commission subplot was nice. Good episode but could've been better.

'The Spell With No Name' was an okay filler episode. I've enjoyed the other "inside the wand" episodes so far and even though Spider With A Top Hat had a very minor role here it was still a decently entertaining one. It was nice how they made it a bit different from the previous wand episodes by focusing on Narwhal and him following Eclipsa's dark spells around outside the area for Star's spells as they try to capture the dangerous rogue one. I like the dark tone and how the unnamed rogue spell apparently ended some of Eclipsa's spells which showed it's danger and how we got to know that each owner of the wand has their own spell room (I wonder if Ludo & Toffee also has a room in there). An alright episode, nothing special and kinda fillerish (but not too much as they hinted that the rogue spell, while captured now, will return), though Spider getting hit by the self-esteem spell and spent the entire episode as a blubbering pile of tears felt like kind a lazy way to swap protagonist (and I assume the spell wears off or he'll be in shambles the next time we see him).

Lastly, Is it just me or does season four so far come off as disjoined and uneven with the mix of randomized story-heavy and filler episodes, maybe even more so than season three (and some of the characterizations come off as pretty odd at times)? It feels like they are improvising a lot and doesn't have a clear plan for the story; it's almost as if they have an slight story outline and pull up bits of paper with an episode idea each from a hat and then makes an episode out of the ones they get. What do you think, @John95 & @Wile E. the Brain?
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.

@CousinMerl, Yeah, honestly part of me feels like Season 3 was probably originally gonna be the last but at the last minute they were given one more that they clearly weren't planned for hence why we've had a noticeable increase in directionless to outright pointless episodes. That theory definitely would explain why we've gotten episodes like Lake House Fever and Meteora's Lesson (which I've found myself liking less the more time I'd had to think about it) or why Butterfly Follies felt like an 11 minute episode needlessly padded out to 22 minutes.

Honestly, I'd go as far as to nickname Queen-Napped Bam Ui Pati! II: Queen-Napped because both episodes pretty much suffer many of the same problems, mainly being an 11 minute showcase of how cancerously toxic and insufferable Ponyhead is and ending with her wrongfully being given something she didn't even earn or deserve (the former being getting her horn back and here being Easily Forgiven by Star in an ending that feels like it was ripped straight from a REALLY bad episode of American Dad!). Both episodes also really accomplished nothing besides making me wish more than ever that they'd just let Meteora outright kill her at the end of Skooled! instead of letting her live as these two plus The Ponyhead Show! all prove that the show would've been better off kicking her to the curve the same way they did with Alfonzo & Ferguson. As much as I hated The Ponyhead Show!, at least that one was self-aware of Ponyhead's rightfully deserved hatedom (even if like I said before it felt somewhat backhanded since we still had to put up with an entire episode of her) which is pretty much lacking here, with her line about "I didn't suffer any consequences!" feeling like such a giant slap to the face!

Also, I didn't mind Spider getting hit with the self-esteem spell in order to bench him as the protagonist as he's honestly why I've never really cared for the "Inside the wand" episodes.

@John95, I didn't think you disliked Spider With A Top Hat. Why so?

He's part of what makes the wand episodes for me work as he is entertaining and the most well realised of Star's magic spell characters and is a good protagonist for what goes on inside the wand. I did think subsituting him with Narwhal worked (the latter proved to be a good replacement ), but the sidelining of him by blatantly making him useless felt a little unnecessary. Not a bad choice, just a little sudden and uncalled for but a decent joke (though I wish they would have made it clear if the low self-esteem spell would wear off or not).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-15-2019 at 10:34 AM.

@CousinMerl, I don't dislike that episode, I just find it kinda boring. And while I don't hate or even dislike Spider, I never cared for him either.

Also, what'd you think about what I had to say regarding Season 4 as well as Queen-Napped?

@John95, you might have some points about the fourth season there. I've seen theories of only three seasons having been planned but the series got extended before (maybe due to Disney wanting more?) and sometimes I do feel that is the case. The Battle For Mewni did feel like the finale of sorts and afterwards the series comes across as if they are winging much of it (or at least comes up with random plots as they go along) to have the series go on for a longer time to fill four seasons.

I'm thinking that if they cut back on the pointless filler and focused on the main story with Eclipsa, the racism against the monsters, Mina and her plan, etc. they could possibly have wrapped up the series last season or have made this one half the length to not mess around too much. I'd also have substituted some fillers with flashback episodes to young Eclipsa's life and shown Solaria and her oppressive and genocidal evil towards the monster populance (keeping all of that in that source book feels like a waste as said).

Also, I do agree with you to a point on 'Queen Napped' (as I said, I think they should just have had The Ponyhead Show be a full 22 minutes with the plot of 'Napped' being worked into it as the second half and I'm guessing you'd have preferred that as well), but I'm not sure I hated it despite finding it a bottom tier episode. Outside Ponyhead being a fast-talking annoyance it never really got that awful and was just kinda dull, laughless and pointless (furthermore, do you also find that ending with Eclipsa now suddenly being well liked due to the ploy really unconvincing?).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-15-2019 at 10:53 AM.

For the most part I'm agree with you guys about this bunch. Some good stuff but overall, it left me with kind of mixed feelings.

First of all, I liked Knight Shift. Finally an episode with Marco in this season where he's not completely a big punching bag but remains the goofy and insecure yet pretty badass for time to time character we all love. I enjoyed the overall idea of this episode, with Marco finally being a knight of Mewni but thinking again with the fact he'll have to do that for the rest of his life (even if yes, he sould have known that it will be a lifetime commitment, but that didn't bothered me, I like the theme behind this with having the opportunity to do something big but despite that being unsure if we want to do this for the rest of our life). The episode have some pretty funny moments, especially the other knights going to the Neverzone, unaware of the fact that time works differently in it, and Marco fighting the knights is a really entertaining moment, combined with the fact it's a way for Marco to improve its image again in the middle of this season. Also, the bits between him and Star are sweet, and this time, it didn't looked to me like forced shipping but a well done way to show that they want to keep their friendship as long as possible (and for Star, it meant at first that Marco have to say with her in Mewni forever).

Queen-naped was such a disappointing episode and to me the worst of this season so far. The idea was good, but the result is, for a lack of a better word, botched. Throughout the episode, I was sure for the most part that Eclipsa wasn't in danger at all, but I thinked we would have nevertheless a funny episode about all that misunderstanding, but instead, it's an episode contaminated by Ponyhead, as unbearable as we know her. As usual when she's in the limelight, almost all of her jokes are like a pain in the ass, and the overall episode is repetitive, boring, unfunny, with a bit of good stuff for time to time (Janna, as usual) but nothing breathtaking. And also, the plot twist with Ponyhead being the mastermind all the time wasn't well executed to me, once again it shows how irresponsible and manipulative she is (also there was that predictable part where she warned the Mewmans about Eclipsa's disappearance; gosh, can't she be threw out of this show forever ?). What saved the episode to me is the fact that Ponyhead's plan was made to increase Eclipsa's popularity (although it's never really implied that it worked, at least continually), but for the most part, she's in her usual "it's all about me" behavior and it's very annoying. The reason I liked The Ponyhead Show is because I had the feeling that the writers were aware that Ponyhead is an obnoxious and unpopular character, but with this episode, it's almost like we have to like her for what she did... And if that's what the writers had in mind, then it's a nope for me.

Junkin' Janna was the best of the week for me either. It began on a funny way with Janna and Tom having fun on a dump in order that the latter stop being obsessed with Star for a moment. Janna and Tom share a good dynamic and both of them bring with them a lot of good jokes. It tooked a little weird way to me with Janna wanting that Tom blast off a crow for some reason but after that, with the crow being giant and the fight in the old Butterfly castle, it became good again. Though not amazing, this episode worked for me with the way it used its characters. I also liked the little subplot with Star and Eclipsa visiting the Magic High Comission; once again, it began with funny moments (and for some reason, Eclipsa's sick faces cracked me up, maybe because I didn't really expected seeing such a thing happening to Eclipsa) and it also have sort of an intriguing discussion at the end. Also liked Tom actually liking the donuts ("Are they gluten free ?"). And of course, the last moments with the reveal of Mina building a giant knight armor are really intriguing.

And A Spell With No Name was decent. I never really cared about the episodes with Star's spells into her wand, even if Spider With a Top Hat was a pretty good episode, but this one was nice. Obviously a filler episode (though the last moments will maybe be useful for what's coming afterwards) but pretty entertaining. I liked the overall dark tone, the atmosphere and the fact this episode is, to me, less or more an homage to Predator or that kind of movie with a group of badass characters against an invisible and dangerous creature that are even ready to sacrifice themselves in order to destroy that thing with them (that's my opinion, aha), and that was pretty nice to follow Eclipsa's spells trying to capture the eponymous spell with no name. I enjoyed seeing again the "wand universe" as well, and even if I don't mind Narwhal as the protagonist, I also think the way they threw Spider out of the plot was sloppy. But otherwise I liked this episode.

And I have to agree with you guys, so far I found this season pretty... unsure of what it's supposed to do. Except the main plot with Eclipsa, Mina, the racism towards the monsters and all of that, it's like they improvised on a lot of things in my opinion. Like you said for example, episodes like Lake House Fever (which became totally pointless after The Curse of the Blood Moon) or Meteora's Lesson (pretty much an episode to say "oh well, Glossaryck shaped Mewni's history with random time-travelling") confirmed that to me. I have the feeling they almost force themselves to having almost 40 episodes to get a complete season and so, around Eclipsa's main plot, they go with the first ideas that came to their minds to fill the holes. I'm not sure by the way if the writers really know where they're going with all the shipping stuff, another thing that looks like improvising to me.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 04-15-2019 at 02:54 PM.

@CousinMerl, I dunno... 11 minutes of Ponyhead is already too much for my blood, so making an episode with her a full 22 would be way too much of an overload especially if you were to pair these dumpster fires back to back! They honestly would've been better off just not even making these episodes at all since like I said neither of them really accomplished anything and they completely wasted ideas that could've been used in better episodes. For the most part I thought it was very dull as well, but of course every ten seconds Ponyhead had to open her stupid mouth and the ending with how much it gave me horrible flashbacks to Bam Ui Pati!'s terrible ending was enough to bomb the episode hard for me!
    @Wile E. the Brain, Sorry, but I didn't even think the motive for Ponyhead's plan to make Eclipsa more popular worked in terms of "Saving" this episode that's so far the second worst of any TV series I've watched this year! Everything else you said about the episode is on-point though, particularly making us wish that she'd just be kicked to the curve the same way Alfonzo & Ferguson were and how it fails for the same reason all the rest of her episodes do (trying to make us feel for her when she does nothing to deserve it, especially when she's allowed to get off scot-free with how much of a horrible bitch she is).

@John95, oh, believe me that I'd rather have neither 'The Ponyhead Show' and 'Queen Napped' not exist and there'd be another way for the Eclipsa popularity plot to play out other than heavily involving the show's worst character, but I meant that if these two episodes had to exist and they could not be removed I'd easily pick having the two as the same one than two separate ones that more or less told a similar story in the end; had they worked them into one instead of giving the first a direct sequel would have been preferable.

Also, good to now that I'm not the only one who think that Ponyhead's plan wouldn't work out long term. Maybe it was good in theory but there's not way it would work (there probably is a message in there about how people are easily roped into swaying their feelings due to drama but nah, I don't buy it; it's never that easy, especially in a situation like this when the queen hasn't given all her subjects a good impression or been doing a bang up job ruling). It was just a bad, pointless episode with an especially irritating Ponyhead.

(And 'Bam Ui Pati!' remains the worst episode. Essentially giving her the lead role was a mistake).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, Sorry, but I didn't even think the motive for Ponyhead's plan to make Eclipsa more popular worked in terms of "Saving" this episode that's so far the second worst of any TV series I've watched this year! Everything else you said about the episode is on-point though, particularly making us wish that she'd just be kicked to the curve the same way Alfonzo & Ferguson were and how it fails for the same reason all the rest of her episodes do (trying to make us feel for her when she does nothing to deserve it, especially when she's allowed to get off scot-free with how much of a horrible bitch she is).
    Yeah I don't say that this "saved" that much this episode which stays mediocre to me (and the worst of this season so far, and probably among the 10 worst episodes of this show), but at least, all of this was made for a good reason (even if she did that in a wrong way), and that's a little change in comparison with others episodes when she's in a completely selfish behavior. I still don't like her but that's at least better than Bam Ui Pati! where she's rewarded at the end while being a complete jerk during the entire episode.

Looks like for once, I'll be the first one to talk about the episodes of this week. (Be careful of spoilers.)

A Boy and his DC-700XE was a good filler episode with Marco and his interdimensional dragon-cyclers fellas (with Kelly being a part of them this time), and Tom wanting to be a part of it because he thinks it's cool. I'm maybe not a big fan of Tom but it looks like the writers focus more on his insecure side instead of his hot-tempered side this season (when was the last time we talked about his rage issues ?) and I pretty enjoy it since it makes him a more three-dimensional and interesting character. It was funny to see Marco lead him and giving him advices for once, about dragon-cycling and the fact he should trust his dragon. It also leads to a nice moral about the fact it's not necessary to do something you're not sure to like just because it's cool, and it's better to do something you genuinely like. The episode was pretty entertaining as well, as usual with episodes about Marco and his interdimensional gang, even if there isn't a lot of stuff that happened in this one, it's still enjoyable. And that has some funny bits despite some dorky moments (was that fart joke necessery ?). It was alright.

The Monster and the Queen was more interesting. Finally an episode that deepens the relationship between Eclipsa and Globgor, and it was excellent in my opinion. We see in this episode how much each of them means for the other and the two have a great and genuine chemistry. We see Globgor as a living character for the first time and how his personality is : a little clumsy, especially when it comes to jokes, but likeable and seemingly nice guy despite the fact he used to eat Mewmans. Him and Eclipsa shared some really sweet moments, like the song part (Jaime Camil does a wonderful job as the monster by the way) and their last moments before their separation when we learn that all what happens is in Globgor's mind, thanks to one of Eclipsa's spell. I must admit I found their last moments together before the spell was broken really heartbreaking (and Globgor reminding that Eclipsa has to wait the moment the kingdom is ready to accept him is interesting by showing Eclipsa has still some things to learn about her situation; accentuated by Star and the fact Eclipsa should be worry about what the kingdom think, as the legitimate Queen). An excellent one.

But the greatest one of this week for me is Cornonation. Arguably the best full-length episode from this season and one of the best episodes of the entire series. In the sequel of the events of The Monster and the Queen when Star promised to give to Eclipsa a proper "cornonation" in order to have the respect of her kingdom, things actually go wrong when Globgor escaped his crystallized prison and Eclipsa took the responsability of the events despite claiming she didn't free him. The first part is very good, I liked the fact they bringed up a lot of characters together for a single episode, it has some funny scenes and it's an interesting set-up. It's also nice to see Star and her parents reunited for this episode and the fact Moon decided to give a chance to Eclipsa by seeing her coronation. But things get really interesting when Globgor managed to escape his prison and therefore, Eclipsa is accused of that and the people of Mewni is stuck in the place until Globgor is catched. For the most part, this episode reassured me about Eclipsa and Globgor's true nature and the fact they will not be a menace for the kingdom at the last moment (though nothing can confirm it until the last episodes). Once again, Globgor seems to be a really nice guy and doesn't want to hurt anyone but just be with his wife and his child, which leads to a genuinely sweet scene where River, of all people, try to convince the citizens that Globgor is just a beloving father like most of the rest of the people, ready to keep himself jailed to keep his family safe (and so do Buff Frog after). Almost every character has his moment in this episode, whether it's funny or heartwarming, and the twist with Rhombulus being the mastermind of those events all along makes sense, we already know what Magical High Comission was ready to do to separate the Mewmans and the monsters, except this time, Rhombulus did go too far (even for the MHC) by making innocent lives in danger just to try to prove his point and to remove Eclipsa from her position. And all ends with another sweet moment between Eclipsa and Globgor, now seemingly having the trust of the Mewmans and sharing another song. Now we just have to wait how everything will end with Mina seemingly being the true menace. Great episode, engaging and touching.

Lastly, when I read reviews about those episodes, I saw some people disappointing by the fact Mina seems to be the great villain this time, because she didn't had a lot of episode to deepen her personality and she was more portrayed as a goofy character instead of a serious menace (and also how it feels therefore that Toffee was more of a distraction than an important piece of the overall puzzle). What do you guys think ? Do you think Mina have the shoulders to be the main villain of this season ?

@Wile E. the Brain, you sure were early this time. I haven't watched the new episodes just yet so I skipped your reviews for the moment (as soon as I've seen the episodes I will read those, of course), but I did read your last paragraph about Mina Loveberry as the villain and I will give an answer.

I think she's got what it takes for being the final big bad (unless there's some surprise with a villain swap in store). She started out as such a goofy and mental minor character and it was interesting they gave her more depth as the show went on and as the remaining Solarian warrior and the torchbearer of Solaria (not only Eclipsa's mother but a genocidal racist tyrant towards the monsters) and her will she makes sense as the main villain now.

She's also a tragic villain (you can't go wrong with those) and it's easy to understand her motive (all her fellow soldiers were killed fighting monsters and she was the only one left behind and all forgotten about and she keeps doing what she was made to do and the only thing she can do which is fight and eradicate monsters; I think that if she theroetically would win she'd feel empty as she could never calm down, stop and settle down and her mental issues would maybe get worse since. I think there is no good way out for her). It's also easy just to pass her off as just a dumb brute (like giant monster Meteora in season three) and those usually doesn't make for great main villains but she has proven to be quite intelligent and resourceful and she is after all extremely strong, tough and durable.

The "comedic one-time character becomes a serious threat later on" is a trope I like but I also like the aspect of the villain being an ancient evil of sorts but not one of the monsters (which has already been done with Toffee) but one on the Mewman side that's gone rogue; she encapsulate's what is wrong with the Mweman population with their the toxic racist opinion towards monsters, being almost a literal personification with her super form and all, but has taken her dislike to the extreme (which also ties into what she was engineered to do as the first product of the super soldier program).

She's turned more and more interesting as the show has gone on and I liked her from the start; I look forward to see her plan take form more and see how the good guys will confront her and her might when the time comes.

@CousinMerl, I also think Mina turned more and more interesting throughout the show, and that's someone who didn't like her in Starstruck (and who didn't like Starstruck anyway) who thinks that. Obviously she has valid reasons to be the main villain, basically because, like you said, she's the main and extremist personification of all the racism problem towards the monsters. And we know how the fact she volunteered to be the first Solarian soldier had wreck her personality and drove her to craziness and extremist racism, completed with the fact she's from now on the only remaining Solaria's soldier (and therefore probably thinking the monsters are all responsible of Solarian soldiers' fall). She's basically a case of corrupted person, being powerful to the cost of her sanity. It's really interesting, and that's fascinating to see where the writers landed with a character that was, at first, just an insane woman in Starstruck.

But I agree with the fact they didn't take the time to deepen Mina's backstory with an episode while it could have been a great initiative. Why didn't they removed a useless filler episode to make instead a whole episode explaining in detail what happened to Mina during the Solarian soldier project (even if the fact we didn't see that story in detail make it somehow even scarier).
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 04-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.

I dunno where @Wile E. the Brain goes to see the episodes but the site I normally go to has them up basically like a half-hour after airing on TV (which is even earlier after it's recent timeslot change). So with that, I probably did catch them first but didn't really feel like commenting yesterday. This offering was much better than the previous week's and here's a few things I'll note:

* While I like Heckapoo and all, her right to call out anyone for keeping things from her (like Marco inviting Tom to be a part of his biker gang) are pretty much revoked after finding out that she and the rest of the Magical High Commission all were a part of Mewni's biggest coverup.
    * When I first heard about the choice for Globgor's VA I was surprised since based on his design I was expecting someone like Kevin Michael Richardson (he even looks a bit like Trigon, who he voiced on Teen Titans), and not the same person who's the current voice of Panchito from the Three Caballeros as well as Don Karnage when he appeared on the new DuckTales. But I thought it worked upon seeing his ability to shapeshift and make himself bigger or smaller.
    * I first thought that Eclipsa hadn't actually found the piece of book Star had hidden in her closet, and that Glossaryck was baiting her into accidentally revealing it to her. Admit it, that would be something you'd expect from a useless Troll like himself.
    * Speaking of Glossaryck, I guess Meteora's Lesson despite on the surface being a pointless (albeit alright) episode actually did payoff in the long run.
    * When they showed that Globgor has been freed, The following two things came to my mind:
    1. Eclipsa couldn't have done it since they showed the chicken still with the string around it's beak.
    2. I thought Mina was the one to do it, never was expecting who it actually was! And while she ultimately never appeared in the episode, I felt she was present in spirit with the brief appearance by Sebastian at the end.

And to put my own opinion on what was brought up earlier about Mina possibly being the next villain, I can definitely buy it (or at least more so when compared to another Disney animated series that did something similar in their recent season finale). Truthfully I've been expecting something like this ever since Monster Bash with the possibility of it being that she isn't an outright villain but instead a character who has gray morality meaning that their intentions to them are good but in execution puts them in a bad light.

Lastly, yeah I think maybe people wouldn't mind this possible direction with her character as much if we'd at least been given a backstory episode about her beforehand. But alas, I guess it was more important for us to have two terrible Ponyhead episodes instead (both of which now feel even more pointless after Cornonation)!

@John95, I also thought it was Mina who let Glogbor escape his prison at first. I was surprised by the real twist, but like I said, I liked it, it makes sense.

Yeah, at least Meteora's Lesson will have been useful on ONE thing. They should have better handled the whole "dip down" thing instead of putting it in a random and overall pointless episode.

The fact we had some pointless episodes like the two Ponyhead episodes instead of one or more about Mina seems to confirm that the writers are pretty hesitant about the progress of this season, but maybe I'm wrong. (By the way, it was nice to see her for once avoiding to screw things up in Cornonation, I was expecting her to do something stupid as usual).

Last thing, simple curiosity but the other Disney show you talk about when you compare to Mina being the villain is  Tangled : The Series , isn't it ?
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 04-22-2019 at 10:51 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain & @John95, so now I've watched the latest three new episodes and I'll be able to contribute with my views on them and just the latter two made it an much better bunch when compared to the previous one which was really mixed and uneven quality-wise. Wile, you covered a lot of ground I agree on but I'll add my views on each one as with the earlier ones. Untagged spoilers (!) as usual as well.

'A Boy And His DC-700XE' was a nice and neat little filler episode, which while not great was a fun diversion. I liked the simple story of Marco and his dragoncycle biker gang seeing Tom join them after an invitation from Marco himself and it had some amusing stuff with Tom trying to fit in and bond with his dragoncycle with some help from Marco (while the rest of the gang like Hekapoo and Kelly are negative); I think that Tom has improved surprisingly much from being a fairly one-note boyfriend with anger management issues to someone really nice, chill and understanding (I think that getting essentially all of his inner demons exorcised/sucked out of him via magic in season 3 changed him) and he got a fair bit of good and likeable development and moments here, such as his decision in the end to stop trying to be cool like the others, letting his dragoncycle go and just be himself and do what he himself likes (it had a good moral and message for sure). The one thing that really irked me was the reveal that Marco and Kelly had broken up off-screen prior to this episode and are now "breakup buddies" effectively rending the Marco & Kelly episodes pointless (especially 'Kelly's World'); serously? I know that they are the endgame but I can't believe the story writers went with this lazy route. I wish the show would've dialed the shipping down to a bare minimum.

'The Monster And The Queen' was a really good one. It's been some time one of the episodes had me this invested and it's not strange since some of the strongest stuff in the series has been about Eclipsa, her family and her past. It set up stuff great with Star discovering that the remaining piece of the spellbook she kept in her magic closet has gone missing and it looking like Eclipsa stole it somehow and then the episode bloomed with all the flashback-y plot of Eclipsa spending some romantic time in the wild with the size-shifting Globgor; they are doing great with Globgor who really tured out to be a pretty swell guy with a big heart (despite being a former Mewman eater), I like how they portray him with a softer accented voice (Jaime Camil does a great job) and his dynamic with Eclipsa is adorable (I also liked the fakeout with him going all ragemonster being a prank and giving Eclipsa a gemstone). The twist that it wasn't a flashback at all but only in his mind due to Eclipsa using a mind spell was a good one and Star confronting Eclipsa afterwards over her stealing the book piece to recreate it was interesting (especially with how Eclipsa used the spell on Star while the latter was asleep) and lecturing her to think of the Mewni population, her people, instead of being selfish. Glossaryck's brief role didn't add anything but was likely there as a red herring.

'Cornonation' was the best one by a mile and the best episode of the season so far (maybe this season's 'Monster Bash' which was one of last season's standouts); it's also the first of the season's full length episodes which completely justified it's length with some great pacing and story work and it's clear that a lot of effort was put into it. A lot of great stuff in here, following on the tail of 'The Monster And The Queen' with Star arranging Eclipsa's big coronation ceremony and the various characters are implemented well such as Tom and Janna handing out the invites, and Star and Tom going to see Moon and River & some of the supporting characters like Ruberiot and Buff Frog getting bit parts (also Manfred is no longer petrified anymore). It really picked up and got intense with Eclipsa having gone missing and Star finding out that Globgor has broken free and her setting out to find him while the Magic High Commission seals the people in at the coronation arena (while Marco, Tom and some others put on a talent show as a distraction, of which I think that the duet with the two doing karaoke was pretty amusing; speaking of the humor there was some good stuff in here, such as the 'cornonation' typo).

There was some very neat action with Star intercepting Globgor at the swamp and fighting him (before him surrendering and saying that he's not out to hurt or kill anyone, making Star understand he's not a bad guy) and then a great fight against the Magic High Commission (who traps Eclipsa and Meteora). The drama and character moments were also great and the resolution was solid, with Globgor gettin calmed down by Meteora escaping her magic cage with her magic (yeah, 'Meteora's Lesson' was a bit less pointless now, though her learning to dip down could've been in any story-important episode) and Eclipsa not having been the one who freed Globgor & Rhombulus being the real perpetrator (who orchestrated the breakout to show everyone that Globgor is a danger and putting everyone in danger was a good twist, but not too unexpected. So he gets arrested and Eclipsa and Globgor gets accepted by the people (the democracy vs. monarchy was funny with everyone turning to Moon but waving it away by explaining that she's not the queen and people deciding together, topping it off with a duet by the royal couple; I guess that this is likely the the end of the hostility between the Mewmans and the monsters). An excellent episode all around.

Lastly, I was wondering that with how hostile and toxic the Magic High Commission was here (and has been before with their hatred towards Eclipsa and the monsters) and the way they kept fighting Globgor whom they drove to violence here that they could end up being the final villains instead of Mina, but then Hekapoo and Omnithraxus seemed to yield and accept things so I guess they are out of the equation there (though they would have made for great final villains as a group, I must say, though it would be good if they truly stopped their close-minded crap. I bet that Rhombulus is one that won't as he's way more aggressively toxic and troublesome, though).

I'm wondering now that Rhombulus has gone too far and been imprisoned and how the episode ended with Mina's raven flying around and probably having seen it all if Mina will break him out and recruit him for her cause (since he is hateful towards monsters and never seem to change I think Mina could use him). Would it be a good direction for the story going forward? I think it would make sense and spice things up.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-28-2019 at 12:16 AM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Without going into too much detail, yeah that's the show I alluded to earlier. And in terms of my own reaction to it, basically think the scene from New Kid on the Block where Bart imagines Laura ripping his heart because the character that had pull this was my favorite from that series.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, Without going into too much detail, yeah that's the show I alluded to earlier. And in terms of my own reaction to it, basically think the scene from New Kid on the Block where Bart imagines Laura ripping his heart because the character that had pull this was my favorite from that series.
    I understand.  Cassandra is also one of my favorite characters from this series if not my favorite. But I don't find her betrayal frustrating or out of nowhere. I probably would have if there only were the events of Rapunzel and the Great Tree to decide to make a villain of her, which wouldn't have been enough for me to consider her as the great villain of the show. But the writers gave us some episodes between this one and the finale to let this expand and there also was the episode Rapunzeltopia where Cass was trapped in another place that, I think, convinced her to the ultimate betrayal for a reason she knows but not us. My theory is there's another evil mastermind behind all of this and that element from Rapunzeltopia is the main clue about this. 

Anyway, back to the topic, I forgot to talk about the fact Marco and Kelly had broken up off-screen and once again, that seems to show how little the writers knew where to go with all the shipping stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Anyway, back to the topic, I forgot to talk about the fact Marco and Kelly had broken up off-screen and once again, that seems to show how little the writers knew where to go with all the shipping stuff.
    Like I said in my above review of the episode, this was a personal negative for me since it made all the previous episodes with them growing closer (like 'Kelly's World') feel really pointless. It was essentially retconning previous developments and it felt insulting to be honest, despite I don't really feeling it between them. Why are the writers changing their minds like this and just handwaving stuff that was built up away all of a sudden? As I also said, the series would've been so much better without all the focus on shipping (which just takes time from all the important stuff).

Your thoughts on the sudden offscreen breakup between the two, @John95? Also, I'd like to hear both of your thoughts on the possible scenario I was talking about with Rhombulus possibly being broken out of imprisonment and recruited by Eclipsa. I think that would make things interesting (also gotta say it kinda feels like my thoughts and feelings on the new episodes got lost in the shuffle with the talk of that other show within the spoiler tags).

On the topic of backstory episodes, I would gladly sacrifice half of the shows fillers (all Ponyhead ones includes) for just a bunch of some proper 'flashback to the past' material with Mina, Eclipsa, Solaria, etc. That would solve a lot of issues with the overall story and explain some stuff, I think.

@CousinMerl, don't worry, I've read your thoughts as usual (that's why I talked about Marco and Kelly breaking up, you reminded me that happened and you reminded me how pointless some episodes look like from now on because of that). Glad to see we both have the same ranking for this week, and basically the same feelings about each episode. Just one thing, I don't think Hekapoo and Omnithraxus have already accepted things yet, I think they still don't fully trust Eclipsa and Globgor, even if they thinked Rhombulus did go too far this time.

About Rhombulus by the way, yeah it seems like a possibility to see him joining Mina's camp against the monsters. Both of them share the same mentality, they're unable to trust the monsters and just want them dead, no matter what happen to show they don't deserve such a fate. It could be a good idea, and like you said, that could spice things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Just one thing, I don't think Hekapoo and Omnithraxus have already accepted things yet, I think they still don't fully trust Eclipsa and Globgor, even if they thinked Rhombulus did go too far this time.
    Oh, I haven't at all ruled them out just yet as I doubt they've changed and will just go with the flow of things even though the populance gave Eclipsa and Globgor the benefit of the doubts.

The only reason they turned against Rhombulus was that his dangerous and ill-thought out scheme directly endangered the Mewman population (and they did kinda endanger everyone themselves when they helped to drive Globgor to anger and engaged him in the battle like lunatics almost as big as Rhombulus); they might as well just have locked him up as a public display to calm everyone down and doesn't think he's that much of a crook deep down, meaning that they felt obligated to play their roles.

Wouldn't be surprised if they will still try to pull something (though not sure if they would honestly side with Mina), but now that the Magic High Commission is running short of members (only two left) they might want to take it easy for the time being.

Things are getting real interesting now to say the least.

@John95, what did you think of the off-screen breakup of Marco and Kelly? I still can't believe they went that rout after all that build up in several episodes; why did they even bothered with that when they could have done something more interesting instead of the pointless shipping they have been dabbling with (and this was possibly the most egregious example yet).

Also, your thoughts on that possibility of Mina recruiting Rhombulus after the events of 'Cornonation'? Don't think you chimed in on this.

@CousinMerl, I didn't really notice that part when I watched it the first time, but yeah it was pretty egregious for them to do that and make a big deal about it, only to then just hand wave it off in a single line! Say what you will about Marco & Jackie breaking up, at least they actually had that happen on-screen. Hopefully Kelly will still be able to stick around though and not just unceremoniously thrown away like poor Jackie...

As for the Rhombulous teaming up with Eclipsa thing... Hmm, not really sure what I think of that at the moment.

Well, looks like I get to be the first one to talk about these episodes again. As per usual with Season 4, this was another mixed bag offering with one OK, two good and one "Meh...". A few things I'll note:

* Doop-Doop was easily the weak link of this bunch. Much like with Princess Quasar Caterpillar and the Magic Bell, I had no idea what to expect from it's title which ended up being part of Star putting off leaving Mewni. And speaking of that, because I figured that out before the episode pointed out the episode was becoming a little more tedious towards the end where it culminated into a conflict between her and Tom that was just as weak as the one in Lake House Fever.
    * It's funny that last night I was lamenting about how  Jackie was unceremoniously kicked to the curve after her breakup with Marco or how I thought her alternate reality counterpart in Princess Quasar Caterpillar and the Magic Bell would be the extent of how much I'd see her this season, because guess who appears in Britta's Tacos?!  The episode started off a little slow but began to pick itself up once we got to the title location and were reintroduced to characters that we haven't seen in ages. Among the ones shown, I was surprised that Jeremy didn't make an appearance as I was expecting/dreading one from him.
    * The woman who took Star & Marco's photo in Beach Day was voiced by Russi Taylor. Wanted to point this out due to how rare it is for me to see her in anything these days where she isn't Minnie or making her at least two appearances a season on The Simpsons as Martin and Sherri & Terri.
    * Even without them ever saying her name, I figured that Father Time & Hekapoo were referring to  Mina  when they were warning Star about dire times up ahead.
    * Not gonna lie,  teen Meteora's  design is pretty cute!

My rankings for this week:
    Britta's Tacos
    Gone Baby Gone
    Beach Day
    Doop-Doop

This was an fairly decent bunch overall and while I have to agree with @John95 that it was an bit of an uneven batch most of them (aside from one) were fun to be completely honest so I was pretty satisfied. Spoilers abound!

'Doop-Doop' was indeed the weakest one by far; just kind of a lame episode that dragged on and had almost all the jokes fall flat. So Marco and Janna moves back to Echo Creek on Earth and Star and Tom prepares to go on a trip was a good setup but it never really picked up and them going around to say goodbye to everyone (Eclipsa & Globgor, Moon, etc.) was kinda dull to be honest (though the Doop-Doop joke was a little amusing; a decent cameo for Justin Roiland). It then turning out that Star put off going away for so long (not even knowing where to go) because she's unsure and wants time to figure things out was kind of expected but then it also starts another tepid and dumbrelationship conflict with Tom, who is crushingly disappointed and leaves for his realm to let her do as she wishes, but I really liked the ending where she goes to Marco and his family in Echo Creek. A fairly pointless and very weak episode. One big meh.

'Britta's Tacos' was a much better episode, a lot simpler and with a very thin premise with that of Star and Marco going to the taco restaurant stand in town (with Marco's baby sister Mariposa whom Marco is babysitting for) so that Marco can eat tacos and get a full punch card for the promotion thing they have which guarantees a prize in the end. I really liked the way these old faces of Echo Creek popping up one after the other (some were expected, like Sensei and Starfan13 , but then they also had Alonzo and Ferguson showing up). Some very funny stuff here (the nervous man hiding in the bathroom stall was hilarous as was Janna being banned from the taco stand with Sensei pointing to pictures of her with lame disguises) and I had a smile on my face (surprised that they got away with the running teenage pregnancy gag with everyone thinking Mariposa was Marco and Star's child).

They kept teasing Jackie and her finally showing up was really neat; she's cool and chill as usual and her having moved on, been to France (exchange student I guess) where she discovered herself and now having brought with her a French girlfriend (Chloe) was interesting development. It came out of the blue as a last-minute pairup thing and Chloe felt rather bland and stereotypical but it was done fairly well and I liked the ending with Jackie giving Marco some advice and the two skating off (I think that with an pairing like The Loud House's Luna & Sam having set a high standard and me having been rather pro-Marco & Jackie it's easy to judge this negatively, but I was perfectly fine with how things turned out as it is a good ending for a character that needlessly got shut out of the series). Very good episode overall (and I'm glad to see more Earth scenarios since it's been a while).

'Beach Day' was another good episode, not as good as 'Taco's but still a good, enjoyable one. Plot of of Star taking Marco to their beach day (which the photo she got earlier from Father Time prophesized) was a good day trip story with some nice jokes and somewholesome stuff with the two. The old lady having taken a picture of them and it being the one Star got made things interesting and her going to Father Time after she's unhappy with the results and learning that she was the one who gave him the photo to give to past-Star was a nice twist and her giving him the photo as intended not to break the events was something I liked. Good ending with her coming to terms with not worrying about predictions and prophecies and just living in the now & and getting home with Marco by using magic on an old shopping cart (I missed these goofy moments with an overenthusiastic Star; also, you guys notice that Marco was making a Ludo sand mermaid sculpture at the end?).

'Gone Baby Gone' was an interesting and pretty neat episode. Marco babysitting both his baby sister Mariposa and Meteora, being visited by Hekapoo who gives him a cryptic and angry warning (or was it a threat?) to stay on Earth because of danger awaiting in Mewni andfinding out that both babies went into the Neverzone portal that Hekapoo forgot to close (I'm wondering if it was intentional; she's never this careless) was quite good and I liked how it played out with Marco and Star going to rescue them, knowing that the kids aged for sure. There were some good stuff here, like Brunzetta's cameo, the old spooky lady turning out to be teenage Mariposa and teenage Meteora in disguise & the four of them teaming up against an flamboyant pretty boy demon who lives on the other side of a doorway portal (whom the teens intended to sacrifice Star and Marco to for some reason).

Having aged the two babies surprising and brought on some interesting stuff (that with them having been babies when they went away and having gotten used to the Neverzone more than Marco did and I liked that we got to see what they look like when they are older) and I liked the interactions (though the teenaged two were a bit more selfish jerks than necessary, which took away from the episode a little). The demon guy eating magic with his stomach mouth was intriguing (might he come back?) and the fight against him was a nice bit of action (liked Marco and his sister managing to stop him). Nice ending with Marco getting them to go back to the real world with him and Star by bribing them with the notion of getting to eat real food like tacos and such. I wonder what role the events of this episode will play in further stories (by the way, anyone else pick up on that Mariposa means "butterfly" in Spanish? That I found interesting).

For me it probably goes Britta's Tacos > Beach Day > Gone Baby Gone > Doop-Doop

@Wile E. the Brain, have you seen the newest episodes yet? I have kinda been waiting to read your thoughts and opinions on them (and possibly if you have something to comment on that we said about them).

I saw them indeed. But like I said recently, those times I'm pretty busy and so it's a little hard to take my time to talk about them. I don't have a lot to add about this bunch, it was a good one overall.

Though Doop Doop was indeed the weakest episode of this week. The beginning was nice and had some good jokes (Janna definitely steals the show in some episodes), and it was a pretty interesting premise with Star seemingly wanting to leave the kingdom now she isn't a princess anymore to do other exciting things. Then, Star and Tom begin to say goodbye to a lot of the main characters. During the first one or two minutes, I liked seeing the characters having their moments (Eclipsa and Globgor mostly, who bring up with them a pretty amusing dark joke), but then, I understood where the episode wanted to go, and therefore, it became boring and way too long. The episode dragged out a lot and that's annoying when you already know what will be the twist. I didn't like either the fact we seemingly will go into another crisis between Tom and Star, I'm getting tired of this. Especially when you know one of the next episodes will be about Tom dealing with that conflict (I don't look forward for this one). On the bright side, I did love this episode ended with Star's return to Echo Creek (and Marco's sister being born). I really missed it. Overall, I don't think it's that bad of an episode, there is a few good moments (I liked Doop Doop himself, with Justin Roiland's voice, though it looks a little cruel that Star seemingly abandoned him alone in a hut), but yeah it wasn't great. Also, Ponyhead, with a single scene, shows how much she's an asshole.

Brittas's Tacos was a very nice simple episode which was basically a way to see the characters from Echo Creek again, without going that much further. It was simple but it was likeable. I didn't really cared about Marco wanting to eat tacos until his promotional card is full (especially since I expected what was the prize) but I liked the interactions between the characters and seeing them again. It's been a while since we haven't seen them and so, it was cool to fix that during an episode. Even the characters that I never cared for like Sensei, Alfonzo and Ferguson, and also StarFan13, I was kinda happy to see them again. Plus, they bring up with them some pretty funny moments (StarFan13 playing with Star's arm and saying she could do that all day). Thank goodness, though, Jeremy didn't appeared. This episode was a nice revival of those simple episodes that took place into Echo Creek, and I liked it the way it was. Also, the last moments teasing Jackie's return were really good, and the scenes where she finally appears were a good way to end the episode. I'm still a little sad she and Marco aren't a thing anymore since they were a genuinely great couple, but I also was fine with what she became. Though Chloé is just, for me and for the moment, nothing more than a french girl who actually speaks with a canadian accent for some reason. Also, the running gag with Mariposa mistaken for Marco's child was very funny (I also laughed out loud at Marco's line "I was in the bathroom thinking about life"). A very good one.

Beach Day was possibly my favorite of the week (I don't know, I'm torn between the last three ones). This episode, while following the plot about the mysterious "beach day" photo received from the future, was simple for the most part, and once again, I liked it the way it was, with Marco and Star going at first on a trip that didn't really go well until they finally reach the beach (also, the scene with Star talking about the beach day with the american flag on TV in the background is hilarious). I missed seeing those two having a great chemistry as friends, so it was very nice to see them sharing some good moments at the beach. And the twist about the photo was interesting too. The fact Star herself sent this photo to her past self is a good idea, and that touched me since all of this was made in order to giving to the past Star the promise of a better tomorrow, instead of thinking about the "harder times" that seem to come soon. And all of this end with a sweet scene between Star and Marco, with the latter reminding to the former she can continue to make her own happiness by living in the present.

And last but not least, Gone Baby Gone which was another very good episode, despite a little messed up debut with Hekapoo coming to Earth in order to warn Marco about the approaching menace in Mewni and forgetting to close one of her dimensional portals that drives Mariposa and Meteora into the Neverzone (was it really necessary, therefore, that Hekapoo comes to warn Marco about that while he probably wouldn't returned in Mewni, at least not before a long time, anyway ?). The rest of the episode was pretty neat, though. I liked Brunzetta's less or more useless appearance (as she lampshaded it herself), and the fact she forgotten Star; the latter's reaction about it was very funny by the way (it's been a while since they've done visual jokes with Star's markings). Seeing Mariposa and Meteora as teenager was an interesting touch (loved the design of both of them), with nice interactions between them, thinking they're sisters (and I didn't have an issue with them being sort of amoral jerks, I mean, they did growing up alone in the Neverzone, I guess it must have a negative impact on their personalities). It was also interesting to see Mariposa wanting magic abilities just like her "sister" Meteora, which is the reason she wanted to give Star to the demon (before she learned it's actually a sacrifice). I didn't cared about the demon by the way, but I agree, the fight scene was pretty neat. There also was a number of sweet scenes, like the way Marco proves to Mariposa he really his her brother, and the ending with them going back to Earth and Star and Marco promising to try to keep the bonding between Mariposa and Meteora when they will grow up. All in all, a very nice episode to close a pretty solid bunch.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 05-02-2019 at 09:31 AM.

@John95 and @Wile E. the Brain, you both mentioned Jeremy being absent from Britta's Taco's despite him having been an fairly major secondary Echo Creek character and I'll admit that I didn't really think of it until after I saw the episode. I'll add my two cents on that too.

While I too am glad he didn't appear (can't stand that little turd) I'm still curious why he didn't show up. I would've been ok with a scene where he tries to trigger Marco and fails completely (as Marco has changed to a degree that he doesn't want to waste any time on that arrogant little poser) but I can guess that they didn't want to include any enemies of Marco and I guess the Star Vs. crew realizes he sucks that's why he's not been in any episodes since season 2 (if only Ponyhead could appear less too; her one scene in 'Doop-Doop' verged on painful, also I'm wondering if she's the reason why the seahorse guy has an ankle/tail bracelet).

One thing they could do is pit him against Ponyhead and it'll be a battle of the jerks; I wonder who'd upstage whom.

Thread Information