Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Star vs The Forces of Evil News and Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I must say that the promotion for season 4 is pretty disappointing; that one preview clip and this Japanese promo is pretty much all there is and the season might just be a month or two away (at best). Maybe it is proof that the show is winding down and that the fourth season will be the last one?

As for that promo itself, nothing really stands out enough to me to be really noteworthy (much as it's so brief with clip fragments) and the only thing I feel like worth commenting on aside from maybe that one shot of an enraged Meteora is the promise of another Ponyhead family episode (which I feel really eh about, but as it does seem to star Eclipsa it shouldn't be too rough, I guess).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-21-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I started this show last week and I finished the first season a couple of days ago. And I think it's a very nice start, I begin to love this show.

In some way, at first that reminded me The Powerpuff Girls with that mix between girly and colorful stuff and wacky and cartoon violence. I think that's the first thing I liked with this animated series. Despite pretty much all the episodes are so speed that it's a little exhausting to see several episodes in a row, I enjoy this goofy universe. Especially the fact that nobody in Star's entourage is surprised by the fact there's a girl with magical powers from another dimension on Earth. Even if it's not on the same level than Gravity Falls, I enjoy the creativity, the lot of awesomeness, and also the fact they didn't take the thing too seriously before the middle of the season and the coming of a true menace for Star.

I like the characters as well, Star the funny and excited girl who can become a psycho without warning, Marco the oversecure guy who try to be cool, his silly parents, and Ludo is a funny antagonist considering he's not at all thinked as a true menace (the way he treats his minions make me laugh). And of course, the art style is gorgeous, the animation is beautiful and fits well with this zany yet creative universe.

My biggest issue with it is the fact they choosed to make this show an "11 minutes segments" one. It doesn't fit perfectly for such a series. Some episodes feels like they could have been a lot better if they were 22 minutes episodes. They didn't allow themselves more time to better exploit all the possibilities of their universe and that's a disservice for a number of episodes. Despite the fact I found a few of them pointless (The Banagic Incident). And I hope the show will become more than a goofy show throughout the seasons but by reading some reviews of it, and taking into account the episode Storm the Castle, I think I can be reassured about it. Otherwise, I really enjoy it.

Some of my favorite episodes so far : Storm the Castle, Blood Moon Ball, Freeze Day, Mewberty and Quest Buy. And for my least favorites : The Banagic Incident, Royal Pain, Pixtopia, Match Maker and especially Lobster Claws.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 01-28-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Nice to see that someone else around here got into the show too, @Wile E. the Brain. Also nice to hear you're enjoying it so far (I can easily say it gets better in the second season, though the first set up most things well). Looking forward to hear your opinions on the later two seasons and their content.

I find it interesting that your issues are the same as some of mine, with the overutilization of 11 minute segments when 22 minutes would have been great (a lot of the episodes, even early ones, feel like they needed to be longer for the sake of the plots), the early focus is on being a wacky gagfest without much else (which also becomes jarring between the more serious episodes) & the numerous pointless fillers (these even exist in the later seasons and tend to be the weaker ones), but the show does get better and there are some genuinely good stuff going forward , both lighter and softer as well as darker and dramatic. Won't spoil anything.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Got any favorite and least favorite character(s)?

Favorites for me are Janna, Moon Butterfly and a third character who will currently remain nameless because she doesn't come in until Season 3, and my least favorite is Ponyhead.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: TBD Bri-Da: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

@CousinMerl, indeed, for a show with so much possibilities, the 11 minutes format is a mistake. That's why Star Comes to Earth, for example, is a good episode, but not really a good introduction, it's so quick that it's a disservice for the sake of all the things introduced with that single episode (why Star is landed on Earth, why she befriends with Marco, etc.).

@John95, I love Star herself, despite sometimes she can be a little obnoxious (Lobster Claws), in general she's a fun, likeable, wacky, colorful and sometimes psychotic character, and she's perfect that way. Marco is a great character too, insecure yet paradoxically oversecure, and his parents are hilarious. I love Toffee too, he's a really interesting antagonist. Janna is a good one even if she doesn't really have a big importance in season 1. For my least characters, there are Jeremy (though it's obvious he was thinked as a spoiled brat but he's still annoying), Alfonzo and Ferguson (those two guys are pretty unfunny in my opinion). Ponyhead is kind of bland for me, I do enjoy her friendship with Star but I also thinked she can easily be annoying.

@Wile E. the Brain, Yeah, what makes Janna my favorite doesn't really kick in until Season 2 when her role gets expanded upon (same with Moon).

You can blame Disney for Alfonzo and Ferguson, they wanted Marco to have male friends. Deron Nefcy (the show's creator) resented this and thus used them as little as possible. Not sure if you've started Season 2 yet, but you'll see very quickly that they're more or less written out entirely save for one brief acknowledgment in one of the last episodes as well as a brief non-speaking cameo or two. They get a bigger role in one of the first episodes of Season 3, though the episode is in a way their official sendoff.

Unfortunately for Ponyhead, she gets worse later on to the point where late into Season 3 not only is there an episode centered around her that ends up being one of the worst of the whole series because it highlights every single one of her unlikable qualities tenfold, there are also two moments that happen to her where we're meant to feel bad about it, but instead feel like well deserved and long overdue Take That, Scrappies!

@Wile E. the Brain, you and me both regarding Jeremy; he might be a minor character but he's absolutely awful and irritating in every way and Marco even bothering to be annoyed by him, a talentless poser and cheater, is pathethic (and he never gets what coming to him despite his antagonistic role and gets away with everything; I wish there was an episode where he is taught a lesson he never forgets). A particular late episode in season 2 which stars him and is essentially just about him being an asshole is possibly my pick for the overall worst episode.

Ponyhead is a pretty bad character too (unlikeable, annoying and mostly unfunny ) but worse as she's much more pivotal and one of the good guys (and yeah, many of those moments we are meant to like feel sorry for her falls flat as she's just an horrible person with few to no redeeming qualitities; that season 3 episode @John95 mentioned I too think is one of the worst ones. I wish she could get a redemption arc since the concept and character design is great but she never does get any better; feels like she's one of the worst characters in an modern, ongoing animated series.

Best characters for me from the expanded cast include Janna (wish she was in it more), Tom (despite him essentially just being just being a romantic figure in Star's life), Mina (a character you'll meet in S2, Wile E.), Jackie, Ludo (has maybe the strongest arc) & Buff Frog, Queen Butterfly, Toffee (great villain), the Magic High Commission & Ec... Well, a character who's gonna be a prominent figure in S3, Wile.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-03-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Okay, that's interesting. I don't know if I will be bothered as much as you guys about Ponyhead in season 2 and 3, but that's clear that what you said is not reassuring. I'll see that by myself later.

@John95, thanks, now I understand about Alfonzo and Ferguson. And if they're used as little as possible in season 2 and 3, that's a great thing. Because even if they wanted to give male friends to Marco, at least, they could have avoided to make them annoying. (And no I haven't started season 2 yet, I'm waiting for a friend to do so.)

@CousinMerl, I couldn't agree more about Jeremy. Even if I get he was made annoying on purpose, he's just an unfunny and irritating joke so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible to make a spoiled brat like him funny... but in his case, he's just not.

I forgot Buff Frog, I also think he's a very good character especially in the last episodes of season 1.

@Wile E. the Brain, To be fair, I'm maybe a little too hard on Ponyhead saying she's the all time worst modern character since she does have her moments (and the voice actress does a good job), but I'd say she's one of them due to being so unlikeable (I just wish she was easier to like, which is possible to do with jerkass, toxic friend character; just look at Bender on 'Futurama' who's a great example), however it's not a problem if you like her (she does seem to have her fans after all).

I am thinking Jeremy is worse overall since he's completelely unfunny and hasn't made me laugh once unlike her; it's sad that they dropped the ball on making him funny at all (to make a spoiler brat funny is possible like you said but they never managed to do that; to make him get directly caught up with some of Star's magical shenanigans and suffer some more or less permanent misfortune would be a good way to do something funny with him but he's solely used for Marco-only plots with little to no magic involved).

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, To be fair, I'm maybe a little too hard on Ponyhead saying she's the all time worst modern character since she does have her moments (and the voice actress does a good job), but I'd say she's one of them due to being so unlikeable (I just wish she was easier to like, which is possible to do with jerkass, toxic friend character; just look at Bender on 'Futurama' who's a great example), however it's not a problem if you like her (she does seem to have her fans after all).
    Like I said, so far I just found her bland, not really funny and sometimes annoying, but not completely despicable (let's say she has her moments like you said, in St Olga in particular). I don't know what I will think of her afterwards. But if she's really the worst modern character in animation, she has to beat modern Brian from Family Guy, notably. ^^

@Wile E. the Brain, They kinda end up rectifying that problem in Season 2 by having Marco's karate teacher basically take over as his male friend. Also, not to go too off topic but you clearly haven't watched much American Dad! (or at least not much recently) if you can watch Stan & Roger and the horrendous atrocities they commit (especially the former since he's usually supposed to be viewed as the "Hero") and still consider Brian to be a worse character than both of them combined.
    @CousinMerl, I think I've said before that while I also think Jeremy's a crappy character, Ponyhead's worse because we've seen more of her and there are times where we're supposed to feel for her despite doing nothing to earn it. At least they never once attempt to put Jeremy in a positive light. That said, yeah I wouldn't go as far as to call her the worst character in all of modern animation. That honor goes to Stephanie from The Ridonculous Race (a spinoff of Total Drama) whose tendency to scream and yell constantly made me feel as though I was experiencing migraines and ear bleeds.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, They kinda end up rectifying that problem in Season 2 by having Marco's karate teacher basically take over as his male friend. Also, not to go too off topic but you clearly haven't watched much American Dad! (or at least not much recently) if you can watch Stan & Roger and the horrendous atrocities they commit (especially the former since he's usually supposed to be viewed as the "Hero") and still consider Brian to be a worse character than both of them combined.
    I haven't watch the last seasons of American Dad! (and to be honest, since they're poorly received, I don't have the motivation to do so). For what I've seen from this show, I enjoy Stan and Roger, even if I know they're able to do a lot of atrocities. Brian is an example that quickly came to my mind, since I think he's despicable and obnoxious since season 8 or so, with some exceptions (he's the cause of the worst episode of the show in my opinion, which is Brian's a Bad Father). By the way, I precised "modern Brian", because I love this character in the earlier seasons.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 02-05-2019 at 11:46 AM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Well... Yeah, if you were to watch any of the recent seasons (which one'd you stop with?) you would find it easy to see that Stan is far from being a likable character anymore with him becoming worse and worse each new season. Last year's The Mural of the Story is a perfect example for how badly his character's fallen, though I don't recommend it unless you're someone who enjoys torturing yourself for a 22 minutes!

As far as I remember, the last episode I saw in chronological order is Dreaming of a White Porsche Christmas. So, the middle of season 11. I saw episodes that made him unlikeable to me, but not at the point to hate him. Not yet.

To get back to the topic, I started season 2 with the 10 first episodes, and so far, I think it's a better beginning than season 1's. Fetch was boring and pointless and Starstruck was kind of dumb in my opinion, but otherwise, I liked (at least) all the other episodes. Especially those about Ludo.

@Wile E. the Brain, One of the last episodes where I thought Stan actually was sympathetic, and one of the few TBS that doesn't make me want to fall asleep at best. So I'd say that was a good stopping point.

Back on topic, yeah Starstruck is also my favorite of the first ones you've seen, Mina's such a funny character!

The only thing I bother to remember about Fetched is that the dog is voiced by the same person who plays Amy on The Big Bang Theory.

Also to say that you liked Stars on Wheels is an unpopular opinion because most fans don't like that one

'Starstruck' is one I personally thought was great and I liked how silly it was, especially with Mina Loveberry making her appearances (though you obviously didn't and probably didn't care for the character either it sounds, @Wile E. the Brain). The Ludo stuff was all really good stuff by me (as I said, I think he got a strong character arc, as did Buff Frog which was very surprising; you'll get to see that soon).

As for the amount of filler episodes, I think season 2 had surprisingly many, maybe even more than the first season. Surprisingly many of them felt completely pointless as they didn't lead to anything in the overarching story and some were outright bad (stuff like 'Pizza Thing', 'Collateral Damage' and, yeah, 'All Belts Are Off' weren't the best, but there were some good ones in there, including several that actually had stuff that contributed to the story moving forward which I always appreciate).

The season does have a number of very strong episodes ('Ludo In The Wild' and' Wand To Wand' were two early ones and there are several ones coming up on your watch, Wile) so it's definitely not a bad season even with the filler stuff and a clear improvement over the first season.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-06-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Yeah, actually, I thought Mina was more obnoxious than funny, sorry guys. I didn't like either how much everyone in this episode except Marco seemed to having lost their minds (don't get me wrong, I usually love silly stuff, but it was too much for me in this case). That was an unfunny one in my opinion.

But on the other hand @John95, I liked Stars on Wheels indeed. Maybe not the strongest episode, but enjoyable and with some funny bits. (I didn't knew it was Mayim Bialik's voice for the dog, by the way.)

I saw some other episodes and yeah, I'm agree about Buffrog, I already really liked his character, and he gets more and more good. I heard All Belts Are Off was the Jeremy episode... I'm really worry about this one.

I'll let a recap about the whole season after seeing all the episodes of it. I hope the filler stuff will be, at least, decent and enjoyable to watch.

@Wile E. the Brain, Regarding Mina you probably won't like that she becomes a little important later on then.

When it comes to Stars on Wheels, I have a better tolerance for it than most do, but the episode does highlight part of why Glossaryck is another character that I don't like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Wile E. the Brain, Regarding Mina you probably won't like that she becomes a little important later on then.
    Dang it. (Even if, to be honest, I saw this coming with the last seconds of Starstruck.)

Well, maybe I will find her more likeable afterwards, for the reason she becomes important. We'll see.

@Wile E. the Brain, I'm pretty sure that you'll find Mina's next appearances an improvement (also, I didn't find her nearly as over the top in those so I think you'll probably like that). They also add to the story a bit and a particular late season 3 episode with her is one of the best of the series (and it's not only me who has said so), though I think that one needed a better sequel.

'Stars On Wheels' was harmless, I think. Not a favorite and very thin plot (not to mention really silly) but it had it's moments.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-06-2019 at 09:23 AM.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Well... Guess I've got a good excuse to go back and rewatch some older episodes then. Not counting Stump Day, I haven't any since last season's finale.

EDIT: I find it a little disingenuous that they don't mention Grey Griffin with the rest of the cast since her main character is far more important to the series than Mrs. Diaz.

@John95, maybe remembering Grey just slipped their mind? Also, since they did mention Mrs. Diaz it might mean that she'll have a more substantial role this time, maybe? Seems kinda unnecessary to even mention her otherwise.

Furthermore, there's also an episode schedule now.

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/1093555241784553473

@CousinMerl, Well, for the most part all the names they do mention more so bring up the live action stuff they've done so it comes across as them figuring VA work isn't as important. Either way, they should've mentioned her over Mrs. Diaz and could've mentioned her being on The Loud House since she's a main cast member there.

As for the episode titles, Moon Remembers, Kelly's World and Curse of the Blood Moon sound the most promising while The Ponyhead Show! sounds like it'll be a total train wreck, especially if it ends up being like Bam Ui Patti! from last season.

Speaking of that Ponyhead episode, I found it a bit ironic since last year you @John95 mentioned that you had expected one of the episodes ('Skooled!') seemed to hint towards it essentially being 'The Ponyhead Show' (which 'Bam Ui Pati!' turned out to be more like) and now there's an actual episode called 'The Ponyhead Show'. It's funny how things turn out.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 02-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@CousinMerl, I thought the exact same thing when I first saw that title!

Now I've finished season 2 and it's indeed a good improvement for what already was a very good show. I really like the decisions they made for this season, essentially giving more importance to the minor characters who deserved it (and less importance to those who don't deserve it, aha), a better pacing even for the 11 minutes episodes, more interesting ideas for the overall plot, and more time to develop in a well-written way the chemistry between the characters. Especially the relationship between Marco and Jackie, and the real thoughts of Star about it is a nice drama touch (I really hope however that Marco and Star will remain friends and they will not making a couple of them). That's why episodes such as Bon Bon the Birthday Clown or Just Friends are so good, the writers knew how to give dimension and heart to the characters relationships, and they allow themselves more time to do so in a better way.

I also enjoy how the season has a more serious tone though they fortunately didn't completely give up the goofy stuff and some episodes remain funny and creative. But we still can see throughout this season that an important menace plane above Star's universe. But unfortunately, there are still purely filler episodes, maybe more than in season 1, and some of them are pointless, boring or annoying (that's not the case of all the filler episodes however). Funny how this season managed to offer a lot of the worst episodes of the show so far and a lot of the best so far, in the same season.

And like I said, I truly enjoy how they give better development to some of the minor characters that deserved it. Janna is such a funny character that works well as a closer friend of Star, Jackie is more interesting and has a great chemistry with Marco, Ludo became more menacing and has a strong arc, Buff Frog is even more likeable (I enjoy how they made him an important character since Toffee's arrival in season 1), and not to mention Moon Butterfly, this season is such an improvement for her character and the last episodes are promising regarding what she seemingly gonna offer to season 3. (By the way, it looks like I have one month to watch this season in order to catch season 4 as soon as possible, aha.)

Some of my favorite episodes of this season : Face the Music (possibly my favorite overall), Bon Bon the Birthday Clown, Starcrushed, Running with Scissors, Just Friends, Hungry Larry, Into the Wand, Game of Flags, Sleepover and Wand to Wand.

Some of my least favorite : Collateral Damage, Fetch, Starstruck, Pizza Thing, Trickstar and All Belts Are Off.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 02-10-2019 at 08:52 AM.

@Wile E. the Brain, Glad to see that you've picked up on the qualities that have made Janna and Moon my favorites. Unfortunately, the former's overall presence will diminish a bit in Season 3 (to the point where she didn't appear in any of the episodes that aired last year) but Moon's will be further expanded upon. And speaking of favorites, you probably saw that they've started to plant the seeds for another favorite of mine who I'll still keep nameless for now.

In regards to your picks for favorite and least favorite episodes, you won't be getting much argument from me on either. Though another favorite of mine is Girls Day In, and I consider Collateral Damage and Fetch to be more boring than downright bad. Though I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Trickstar. And if your biggest problem with All Best Are Off was Jeremy, than you'll be glad to know that this is pretty much the last time we see him for now (and likely ever since Season 4 is the last and I don't see us returning to Echo Creek anytime soon based on what we can expect).

@John95, I saw that indeed ! And I wonder how they will exploit this character in season 3. Hope I'll enjoy this character as much as you guys.

Collateral Damage and Fetch are not that bad (just like you I consider them just boring, and a little too stupid in the former case), but they're clearly part of the weakest episodes. Trickstar is boring, annoying, and I didn't saw what was the writers' point with this episode. And yeah, Jeremy is a huge issue I have with All Belts Are Off, though it's not the only one (Marco himself is mostly a jackass in this one). I'm glad to know that this is the last time I see him, indeed.

And last thing, I also think Girls' Day Out is a genuinely good episode, though not one of my favorites of this season.

@Wile E. the Brain, What you said about Trickstsar in terms of "What was the point of this?" I not only agree with but it also comes up again for a Season 3 episode that I consider to be worse (though still not as bad as that Ponyhead episode I mentioned).

Thread Information