Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Star vs The Forces of Evil News and Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Yeah, he's another character we've been away from for awhile now. Nice to know that Is Another Mystery/Marco Jr. will finally be airing.

If the one that's airing on March 31st is any good, then I'll consider it a late birthday present for myself.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: TBD Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

So what'd everybody think of yesterday's episodes?

@Traviud I find it funny that you brought up Steven Universe awhile back because the overall impression I got from these two episodes is what if that show had allowed us to see the much more interesting story of Amethyst meeting her sisters that was taking place at the same time as the rather dull The Zoo.

Just like with Ponymonium and Holiday Spellical, I fail to understand the purpose behind The Bogbeast of Boggabah and question why it even exists. King River is fine but mostly more as a side character, but as a main character his episodes tend to follow the same beats and I have less tolerance for them each time there's a new one. And as soon as this one ended, I felt as though I had legitimately wasted 11 minutes of my life especially with the Ass Pull regarding the "Bogbeast". Still slightly better than Ponymonium though as at least this episode wasn't about Pony Head and her sisters who are all just clones of her in regards to how rotten they are. At least Star's outfit when she goes looking for the "Bogbeast" was cool I guess.

So It goes without saying that Total Eclipsa of the Heart was easily the better of the two, and further makes me question why they made The Bog Beast of Boggabah when they were just gonna give us the more interesting story that was happening at the same time as that one. Considering what we've recently learned about her daughter, it's about time that we saw Eclipsa again. I'd previously said that I felt like she'd be involved more starting from this point on and if this episode and the first one for next week are anything to go by that appears to be the direction that they are going in.

I'm also calling it now that the one behind  the cover-up of removing Meteroa from the Butterfly family tree is either Mina or at least one member of the High Commission .

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    I fail to understand the purpose behind The Bogbeast of Boggabah and question why it even exists. King River is fine but mostly more as a side character, but as a main character his episodes tend to follow the same beats and I have less tolerance for them each time there's a new one. And as soon as this one ended, I felt as though I had legitimately wasted 11 minutes of my life especially with the Ass Pull regarding the "Bogbeast".
    I think because the actor who plays River (Alan Tudyk) is essentially still a main cast member, and now Ludo (who he also voices) is no longer in the show week-to-week, they seem to be doubling up on pointless River scenes, just so Alan has something to do.

Imo, I agree with you, Bogbeast was a bit of a pointless filler episode, but Total Eclipsa of the Heart was amazing.

And I agree that   the high commission likely has something to do with fabricating the Butterfly family tree. 

Only complaint I really have for both these episodes, is that they would have worked so much better coming off after "Monster Bash". Having "Stump Day"/"Holiday Spellcial" in between them, makes it seem like Star was just withholding all this information to Queen Moon for ages for no reason at all.
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@Elf Girl, Funny you should mention Ludo as the synopsis for one of the episodes to air Saturday hints at a possible return for him.

I agree with the wonky placement of these episodes coming right after the holiday ones. Honestly, I would've preferred from them to delay Monster Bash until this year so that it could come right before these episodes while still having Stump Day/Holiday Spellical be the final episode of 2017.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Was gonna post my opinions on it and remind everyone that the show returned yesterday, but @John95 beat me to it (good to know folks haven't forgotten about it after the 2 month hiatus).

As for the episode (that I watched today), I enjoyed them both. 'The Bogbeast Of Boggabah' was an ok episode at best, though the definition of filler & an excuse to have more of River, but I didn't think it was that bad. What made it work to me was Star being really reluctant in an "This is pointless and stupid! What am I doing here?!" kind of way (it was as if it poked fun at it's essential worthlessness) & the twist at the end was admittedly a little amusing so for a filler it wasn't one of the worse ones.

'Total Eclipsa Of The Heart' was fantastic, maybe the best one since the last part of Battle For Mewni ('Toffee'). Really liked that it was an Moon & Eclipsa team-up adventure and their interplay was amusing; it was great how Eclipsa pretty much hijacked the mission, the humor and how it built on their relationship. Eclipsa has really become a favorite, being a lot of fun and pretty cool, even here where she spent an episode in her 'jammies and bunny slippers (though she's rocking them).

As for the order of the previous episodes, I definitely think that 'Monster Bash' should have swapped places with 'Stump Day/Holiday Spellical' as these episodes (especially the latter) would have been a lot stronger then.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-05-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Yesterday's episodes were a great summation of what's fantastic and frustrating about this show, why I watch it obsessively but also find myself unable to call it my favorite series going despite its world of potential.

Bogbeast was a bit torturous, which was caused by the very nature of its plot as well as some weak writing. The episode itself was fundamentally a tease, delayed gratification after the hiatus, which unfortunately didn't offer much new information for us to chew on. I laughed a few times, but mostly I sat uncomfortably waiting to see what was going to happen next. The twist was reasonably clever and helped the episode's cause a bit, but it's hardly necessary viewing.

On the other hand, Total Eclipsa was awesome. From the get go, the episode keeps you off balance, throwing us back in the timeline we had been following in order to focus on a different but related story. The lack of information we have about Eclipsa could be an obstacle to appreciating her character, but the fact that we're all chomping at the bit for more info shows the writers are playing the long game correctly, as it works to the benefit of her coy personality. Eclipsa leans into her sly, playful side in this episode, dropping asides and double entendres as Moon mulls her relationship to this odd situation, an unknown quantity that leaves her feeling vulnerable. There are so many instances of skillful pacing and tension here, especially the disquieting spider hypnosis scene. Topping it all off is a delicious synth-driven score that provides palpable atmosphere to the narrative.

All in all, I'm really glad the show is back. Based on this and upcoming plots, the writers seem to have their priorities in order as far as the overarching plot is concerned, which I figured would happen eventually for season 3. Traditionally, shows within this genre tend to lock into an arc by the middle/end of a season and that was certainly the case with season 2.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I've been rewatching the series (while I've been showing it to a friend for the first time) and I have changed my mind a little on Season 3. It's not really that bad or disappointing and most of the filler and relationship stuff seemed better the second time and a lot of them had things to add to the overaching story (though it's not always the case such as with 'Ponymonium' and 'Trial By Squire' ), while the filler in season 2 felt a lot worse and the definition of completely useless so I'd say that S2 was much more uneven; for me it certainly had some of the worst episodes of the series but also some of the strongest.

I have to agree with @Traviud, especially regarding his first statement of the show not reaching it full potential and cannot be called excellent; they really do put too much effort into pointless filler and the plot-heavy stuff seem to come in second at least as of now, but 'Total Eclipsa' showed a lot of promise when it comes to the direction the show should (and likely will) be headed towards.

They killed it this week. These episodes were ridiculous. Not as much to analyze from an animation perspective, they were extremely cramped to the point of feeling claustrophobic (especially once the box got involved) and were centered on psychological drama, particularly the mindfuck Ludo episode. That said, hoo boy, a lot of good stuff to unpack here.

So the Butterfly family isn't royalty anymore. The writers have been laying down a foundation of hypocrisy to really send this revelation home and it landed about as well as one could hope. The ramifications for this have potential to be significant with a growing sense of unrest overtaking Mewni. Now that Eclipsa has been freed, we will see the extent to which she serves as an antagonist or ally. Also, the box is always funny.

The Ludo episode was gleefully weird and unsettling, probably the most disturbing 11 minutes Disney XD has served up since Gravity Falls season 2. I wish I had a little more connection to Dennis going in, but he's a likable and sympathetic character. Man, am I glad to see Ludo again, and being positioned as an antagonist for Star and Marco no less! Yes!

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Yeah, not really much more I can add other than... Called it (technically) in regards to who removed Meteora from the Butterfly family tree and why (not willing to accept that a member of the royal family is half-monster).

Though one thing I still can't help but wonder is what exactly happened to Meteora in order for her to believe that she was Miss Heinous.

Yeah, both of these were great (the first instance in a while for this season) and I'm not gonna go much deeper into why as it's already been covered; lot's of good stuff and reveals in these two (definitely made up for the pointlessness of Bogbeast)

The first one about Eclipsa's trial was pretty much excellent, fun and surprisingly engrossing; really like how the whole trial being a set-up and the reveals within, the high commission getting shamed, Star storming out in the end leaving it as a 'To Be Continued' and the box coming back (it's pretty funny how Star used it before as a toy at the sleepover last season when it's really an artifact of sorts). Really wondering in which direction they will take the Eclipsa storyline now.

The Ludo episode was great too. I liked seeing Ludo's family again (as well as Spider and Bird) and his brother Dennis as the lead (would like to see more of him). Liked the whole creepy wierdness of Ludo being this delusional and the dummies of their parents made of garbage appearing everywhere to prevent Ludo from going with Dennis until the latter stands up to them and tears them down. The ending with the reveal of Ludo secretly plotting to get to Star and Marco was intriguing; hope he'll come back soon.

If any of the synopsis' for the episodes during the next two weeks are any indication it seems like the Eclipsa storyline is gonna be put on hold for a bit.

Is Another Mystery
    Buffrog leaves Mewni in search for a better life, and Star goes to look for him.
    Marco Jr.
    Marco returns to Echo Creek to discover that his mom is pregnant.
    Skooled!
    Ponyhead returns to St. O’s and finds that the curriculum got tougher.
    Booth Buddies
    A magical photo booth at a wedding goes on the fritz and captures Star and Marco inside.

Well, the first two look potentially OK. Bottom two look like generic season one filler episodes.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@Traviud, Part of me hopes that maybe Skooled! will have an appearance by Meteora/Heinous but I'm not holding my breath.

The show is honestly expecting a lot from me to put up with another Ponyhead episode especially after how bad the last one was plus how the description seems to hint that Star might not appear.

It's a shame that there's a return to filler town now when the show had gotten it's groove back (the last two there doesn't look promising at all, but the first two could be good if done right).

The third sounds like the worst one not only since it's a Ponyhead episode (I assume without Star or Marco as co-leads) but that it sounds pointless (I think they should have left the St. O's story well enough alone). At least it's not an Jeremy episode since unlike Ponyhead I can't stand him; he's insufferable (I would like to see an episode where he gets the ultimate comeuppance or even redeems himself, though).

And I'm honestly the opposite because I have more of a dislike for Ponyhead though that's mostly because she's been shoved down by throat more compared to Jeremy.

That said, they are indeed both crappy characters.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: fas1997

While I too think Ponyhead has been utilized a bit too much this season I must say that I found her more tolerable throughout the series on my rewatch and has has a few decent jokes, but Jeremy is just not amusing whatsoever, just annoying and pointless even though he's appeared far less (My least favorite episode is likely 'All Belts Are Off' for a number of reasons and most of those are due to Jeremy and how everyone bends over to him (reluctantly but still) despite his shitty attitude and behavior).

(Oh, I almost forgot to touch upon this):

Quote Originally Posted by Traviud View Post
    So the Butterfly family isn't royalty anymore.
    Just like Star now thinking they are nobodies, isn't this an exaggeration (and untrue to boot?)

So the Butterfly family tree has been tampered with (swapping an half-monster princess with an commoner girl) but really, the only thing that has changed is that they are not purebloods anymore. I know that it's likely dead important for royalty in Mewni to have their family trees be purely royal down to every single leaf but even when they are not, they are still royalty (thinking more about it, the new girl was married to royal and became queen which too makes her royal as well).

I'm thinking of writing a spec script for my screenwriting portfolio. What kind of plots/subjects would you guys be interested in seeing? I have a few ideas, but I'm curious to see what kind of subject matter is of interest. It'll probably be a 22 minute thing like Bon Bon the Birthday Clown or Monster Bash.

@Traviud, How about the event that caused Meteora to believe she was Miss Heinous. I myself imagine that it was along the lines of how the Day Li from Avatar brainwashed people.

So I thought that both of today's episodes we're good, even if the latter one felt more like filler. Also they'll still using Jeffery Tambor as Glossaryck for the time being (which is a few weeks after he was kicked off of that Amazon show he was on). But the again, all of his lines lately only consist of a single word so they probably figured it wasn't worth dubbing him over (yet).

@Traviud, maybe something with and about Mina Loveberry? Perhaps a flashback that details her backstory and how she ended up the way she is in the series with her insanity and hatred towards monsters? That would be interesting (the suggestion @John95 gave sounds really good too).

Almost forgot to post my thoughts on the last two episodes, 'Is Another Mystery' and 'Marco Jr'.

The former was really quite good, especially as it tied into the overaching story. I liked how it was an Star & Tom adventure and it's interesting that the monsters are leaving but it came out of the blue and could have used some previous buildup; we've have had several Pomnyhad episodes and stuff like 'Bogbeast' but not a single one about Buff Frog as the monster expert (another thing that felt odd was Star's disgusted reaction to Tom wanting a bite from the leftover grub in the monster hut which came off as contradictory to her trying to make everyone treat monsters as equals). Other than that I think it was a good episode.

The latter was definitely more of just an okay episode. It was filler but it was interesting with Marco's parents having another kid and I liked the concept of the portrait painter whose clients turns into the paintings he made of them, though it made Marco seem like an irresponsible jerk for not visiting his family sooner, Marco's mom being passive-aggressive came off as uncharacteristic and the fact that the parents knows nothing about their son does felt sketchy but these weren't that big of issues. Overall an decent episode.

@CousinMerl, It really is too bad that they decided it was more important to have an episode devoted to Ponyhead and her equally rotten sisters and one with King River that still feels pointless in the long run rather than one or two with Buff Frog working at the castle. I myself had actually forgotten that he was working there until this one as I didn't really care all that much for Starfari. I viewed Mrs. Diaz's passive aggressive attitude as her just being on mood swings as a result of being pregnant. So while jarring, at least there's a possible reason for it and not like how Francine is on American Dad! where about half the time these days for no reason she's similar to Lois Griffin where she's an uncaring bitch who downright hates her children which is a clear contradiction of her normally overprotective nature.

So when I first heard about these episodes I wasn't expecting much since the descriptions for Skooled! seemed to hint at it being essentially The Ponyhead Show which I was in no mood for especially considering how awful Ponymonium was. So who'd thought that the episode with Ponyhead with no Star and/or Marco would ultimately be the better of the two that aired today? Though of course, that has nothing to do with Ponyhead herself but rather the stuff with Meteora/Heinous (who I was kinda hoping would appear) from getting insight into her past starting from when she was swapped for Festivia to present day to the hinting of... Something bigger for her if the synopsis' for some of the next episodes are any indication.

By the way, @Traviud you don't need to use my idea for your spec script now that this episode more or less confirmed how I figured Meteora became Heinous which is basically they pulled a Dai-Li on her!

As for Booth Buddies, it mostly just felt like filler like how Marco Jr. was last week and I was just mostly bored. That was until the episode completely screwed itself within the last few minutes when  Star and Marco kissed. Here I was thinking that we were past this Star/Marco/Tom crap or at the very least it'd be dialed back during this half of the season, but nope if anything it's just probably gonna get worse now that it really is an actual love triangle between them!  At least seeing Kelly take Nachos on a joyride was kinda amusing.

Lastly, here are the plots for the next four episodes in case anyone hasn't seen them yet:

Bam Ui Pati! (3/31)
    Ponyhead shuts herself away to watch the finale of her favorite Korean Drama.
    Tough Love (3/31)
    Eclipsa and Moon bring Princess Meteora home peacefully after the massive destruction she's caused.
    Divide (4/8)
     Star becomes acting Queen and plans for Marco and his warriors to delay Meteora from reaching Castle Butterfly long enough for Star to find Moon and destroy the monster princess. 
    Conquer (4/8)
     Star must find the courage to face Meteora alone and make a decision that will change the kingdom forever. 
    I've put spoiler tags on the last two (which serve as the season finale) as they kinda give away a little more than they should (and give a rough idea of how Tough Love plays out) so... Read them with caution.

@John95, yeah, I kinda figured that out about the Marco Jr. episode (I just didn't find the way they did it funny though so they failed there).

I enjoyed the new ones more than the two from last week, especially 'Skooled!' which I really surprised me. It sounded like a really weak episode (probably the worst plot description thus far), however it started out pretty decently with a not too annoying Ponyhead and when the monstrous Meteora made her explosive entrance and kicked ass as she forced herself into the school with help from Gemini and Rasticore it really took a turn for the great (and it was surprisingly violent and dark; maybe the darkest and most serious episode since 'Toffee'). This was also probably one of the best episode since then.

Liked how it all was for finding out more about her past that she had forgotten (and liked the twist of St. Olga being  a robot ) and those flashbacks were really interesting. Her then attacking the princesses who all tries a last stand was pretty brutal, even though we didn't see it other than  Ponyhead's broken off horn , though it's pretty obvious that the latter character is not dead. Meteora really jumping off the deep end and destroying Rasticore (whom awkwardly confessed his love for her) all except his arm, of course, and killing  Gemini  was a great final scene. She has really become one of the most interesting characters (and her new character design is one of the most striking on the show thus far, I think) and I can't wait to see where her part of the storyline goes now.

Oh, and as for 'Booth Buddies', I think I liked it a bit more than you. As much as I think the romantic stuff goes too far this season, it was a fun little episode of Star and Marco trapped in the photo booth and it had some amusing moments, mainly because of the booth repairman goblin, and moments of bonding between the leads;  the kiss of Star and Marco  was a little intriguing and didn't bother me too much, but it just made me even more dislike Star getting back with Tom (which should never have happend) and wonder why they just didn't hook up from the beginning of the season to spare us all the angst and the drama (and if they truly do a love triangle then they really have stabbed the series in the gut; love triangles (at least those not played for comedy) are terrible and always ruin things).

(Additionally, I gotta say that I like the Princess Arms character more and more; she's pretty cool and has a great, funky looking design. Why can't she be a bigger character or even have been in the place of Ponyhead as Star's best friend on Mewni? (I would have liked that a lot). I think there's some untapped potential there).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-26-2018 at 08:11 AM.

@CousinMerl, Fair enough regarding Mrs. Diaz.

I'll also quickly say that I'm the asshole type who viewed  Pony Head getting her horned ripped off by Meteora as a well deserved Take That, Scrappy!

On paper I don't have a problem with them kissing since they've been obviously setup to be the real main couple since day one, it's just the way they did it here that was bad. Not only for what you pointed out, but also for what has been pointed out on the show's YMMV page on TVTropes under Unintentionally Unsympathetic which I'll quote:

As some fans have started to notice, making the Star/Marco ship canon would require for Tom and Kelly to suffer the same heartbreaking fate of Jackie-Lynn, or become Derailing Love Interests, which would damage their credibility as characters. As a result, some fans have lost sympathy for their love story and starting to think that, the way things are now, the only outcome would be Only the Leads Get a Happy Ending, at the cost of the perfectly nice other Love Interests. Star seems to realize this in "Booth Buddies" when, after kissed, she is shocked remembering she is still dating Tom.
    All in all, I really want to look at the show's crew and be like "You really didn't think this though at all, did you?!". And yes, love triangles always ruin shows. The one on Total Drama between Duncan/Gwen/Courtney being a great example both in-series and how it affected the fandom.

By the way, that was Alex Hirsch as Ben in case you were wondering. I myself was wondering if it was him while watching as he reminded me of McGucket.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    I'll also quickly say that I'm the asshole type who viewed  Pony Head getting her horned ripped off by Meteora as a well deserved Take That, Scrappy! 
    I honestly I think it could've been stronger for the overall plot going forward if they had the guts to kill her off, which could easily serve as a catalyst for Star that realizing things are getting really awful and make her get really serious to a degree not seen before (as such a thing would throwing a ton of wood her fire and I mean a ton). Besides, I don't think a lot of folks would miss her since she never seemed to have a lot of fans, though a lot of kiddies (and a lot of the SVTFOE crew obviously) probably likes her.

And it's a damn shame about Tom and Kelly now that I think about it after reading that quote; it's brutal that the only reason they exist and has credibility is because they are just love interests with not much more characterization beyond that. I feel bad for these two despite they are fictional; they deserved a lot better than this (If it's get any messier or worse, I'd almost want a semi-reboot for the next season).

Oh, and I didn't realize the repairman goblin was Alex Hirsch (now that you mentioned it he sounded a bit like McGucket).

@CousinMerl, Usually whenever a big moment like this happens to a character, it's proceeded by a redemption arc of sorts for them. I didn't think about that, but you make a good point that the show would've been better off just removing her entirely at this point. At best she's a Base Breaking Character as there are some who thought that she was Rescued from the Scrappy Heap as early as her second appearance. Of course, I never thought any such moment ever occurred during the nearly 3 years that I've been watching and I've already explained why she doesn't work as a character so I won't bother repeating myself.

I'm already foreseeing Bam Ui Pati! being a chore to sit though as that one's most likely gonna force me to feel bad for Pony Head when I have no reason to feel sorry for her.

Never cared all that much for Tom, but yeah it does suck to see Kelly get thrown under the bus the same way Jackie was since I was intrigued by her character the moment she debuted in Goblin Dogs. This episode seemed to hint at the possibility that she has a bit of a wild side if her taking Nachos for a joyride was any indication, and I honestly would've much preferred following that story instead of the one that we got.

The only other possible outcome I can see for Tom & Kelly is if they do a Last-Minute Hookup/Pair the Spares on them which would honestly be just as cheap and weak (maybe even more) as what's happening to them now. Either way, it's a lose/lose for everyone. Star & Marco lose because them hooking up will make them less sympathetic and Tom & Kelly lose for the reasons already stated.

The latest duo of episodes were half and half, one good and one bad as sort of expected.

'Bam Ui Pati!' was pretty bad; an unfunny and lame trainweck. An sad attempt at a Ponyhead episode, especially coming after the traumatic event she went through in 'Skooled' ( getting her unicorn horn torn off ), which didn't seem to have affected her that badly (I think they could have done something actually good and heartfelt with it but nope). I think they tried to make us feel bad for her and give her an emotional story, but they botched it and couldn't even make her even slightly sympathethic. In the end she was awarded  a replacement horn  without deserving it, learned nothing and acts really mean and nasty, essentially telling her sisters and her ex-boxfriend to go screw themselves; why end it with her acting so awful? Why are they so adamant on not making her likeable and sympathetic? Why not actually give her character development? Why do they even push this jerkass on the viewers so hard? I must say the only thing I really liked was the return of the pizza delivery guy.

'Tough Love', on the other hand, was great as expected from an Eclipsa episode. So here we have her and Moon trying to find Meteora and when they finally do there's some great and interesting stuff, especially the interaction between Eclipsa and her daughter (interesting how the now monstrous latter has regressed to a semi-infantile mental state) and the shocker at the end  where she stops Moon from killing her daughter and in the process seem to have scramed Moon's brains and made her flee, leaving her behind while Meteora breaks free and flees as well ; it felt so wierd with the first episode being so bad and this being so good. A real whiplash indeed (Also, I liked how it made the Bogbeast episode slightly less pointless and it was amusing of how much the pigeon prince looks like Ludo when he's angry; he kinda veered into off-model mode there).

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@CousinMerl, Yep, you pretty much summed up my thoughts on both of these episodes as well.

The only thing I'll add about Bam Ui Pati! is that it was essentially what I feared Skooled! would've been which was basically "The Pony Head Show" with the show forcing me to feel bad for a character who doesn't deserve my sympathy over a moment that had the exact opposite effect on me. The last 30 seconds or so of Pony Head being all like "It's all about me, bitches!" in particular was really horrible and more or less summed up why she sucks so much as a character and makes me further believe that you were on to something by saying that the show would've been better off just killing her off since I don't see her going through the aforementioned redemption arc like I'd previously predicted. At least Jenny Slate makes up for playing her by the fact that she was Bellwether in Zootopia and currently Miss Nanny on the new Muppet Babies.

Even before seeing Tough Love, I was pretty much already apologizing to the Bogbeast episode for saying it was a waste of 11 minutes since at least it wasn't centered about a character who already makes watching episodes about her very tough to get through. I still don't really like it, but at least it wasn't insufferable and actually has some point now.

I have definitely missed some discussion in here. I got all those great suggestions and now everything has been flipped on its head.

Skooled/Photo Booth was one of the best full half hours of the season, super good top to bottom and set things up extremely well for the closing stretch. I enjoyed Photo Booth slightly more despite being more of a lore than a shipping guy because I thought the concept was creative and the drama very real. Excellent episode.

Bam Ui Pati though...man, what a piece of garbage. Terrible episode. The pacing was so slow even though the episode itself was mostly wacky nonsense. No one learned anything, nothing of consequence happened, and outside of the Korean drama itself, it wasn't very funny at all because the line delivery was so awkward. Fuck this episode. I look forward to it being the last weak spot of the season, considering Tough Love had so many great twists and turns and I highly doubt they'll flub the finale. Everything is in place for an hour of great television.

Absolutely fantastic finale, as expected. Had everything a fan could ask for except for shipping stuff, I guess, but these episodes were packed enough without all that.

The wrap-up to everything was a little quicker than I would have liked, but overall the pacing was much better than Battle for Mewni's, and things weren't tied up too neatly. I have no idea where season 4 is going to go from here, but I'm very excited to find out, which is a hallmark of a great finale.

A rough ranking of all the episodes from season 3:

Fantastic
    Conquer
    Deep Dive
    Night Life
    Divide
    Sweet Dreams
    Total Eclipsa the Moon

Very good

Ludo, Where Art Thou?
    Battle for Mewni
    Monster Bash
    Butterfly Trap
    Tough Love
    Rest in Pudding
    Lava Lake Beach
    Marco Jr.
    Stranger Danger
    Scent of a Hoodie

Decent

Club Snubbed
    Death Peck
    Princess Turdina
    Is Another Mystery
    Stump Day
    Lint Catcher
    Starfari
    Trial By Squire
    Holiday Spellcial

Skip

The Bogbeast of Boggabah
    Ponymonium
    Bam Ui Pati!

Well looks like I was right after all that they'd eventually give Jeffery Tambor the boot as Glossaryck. I definitely wasn't expecting them to lampshade the change though, but I guess they had to since the differences between Keith David and Tambor is obvious especially since they use both voices within the same episode.

I just got done watching the finale a few minutes ago so I need to let it fully sink in, but for now I'll say that once again me being the asshole I am was very pleased when  Pony Head got her soul taken especially considering how she was why I hated Bam Ui Pati! so much.

I'll also say for now that as a whole Season 3 was very hit and miss, primarily in it's first half. Things kinda faltered a little towards the end of the second half as well but not as much and I relieved to see the whole romance thing not take over as much as I feared it would.

OK, so after thinking it over long enough I've decided to elaborate my thoughts on most of what happened in the last two or so minutes of the finale and why most of them don't really work:

1. Star, Marco and Tom give a One True Threesome vibe at the end. And while I'd prefer this over pulling a Pair the Spares with him and Kelly, they have to have Star being with only one of them. They can't have it both ways.
    2. So Glossaryck was fine all along and him shouting nothing but Globgor over and over was really just him trying to warn everyone about the future. And in those five seconds alone, he proves why he's the second worst prominent character after Pony Head: He pointlessly overcomplicates the situation at hand and is totally useless in the process. Honestly, I wish he'd just stayed dead now since this ruins the whole Came Back Wrong belief which was the only time where I thought he was tolerable. Him going from being voiced by the Mayor of Whoville to Dr. Facilier is the only upgrade he gets out of this.
    3. Eclipsa gets to have her cake and eat it too. She gets her wand back, didn't kill her child (hopefully they will explain down the line why the spell didn't kill her like it seemed to imply it would) and is able to be properly reunited with her husband. 

Of these three scenarios, the only ones I'm actually fine with is the last one. The other two just fail in a way that I'm sure the show didn't intend.
    Last edited by John95; 04-07-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Thread Information