Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Star vs The Forces of Evil News and Discussion Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Star vs The Forces of Evil News and Discussion Thread

This a thread to talk about the new Disney cartoon Star vs the Forces of Evil feel free to discuss anything related to this new show and bring up updates

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

I watched the first two episodes. It's probably not something I'd watch regularly but I do think it's very funny.

It's good to see another great animated show from Disney. They've been on a freaking roll recently.

The Devil in Blue Shorts BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it. I think it is pretty damn funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

I agree. This show is just damn hysterical, and it's nice that Disney Television Animation is doing great business, especially with Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder.
    http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69580&dateline=1420217955

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

I decided to watch all of the episodes that have been released so far, and the conclusion I can get from them all is that THERE'S NOT ENOUGH.

The Devil in Blue Shorts BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am now officially a fan of this show. Decided to bump this thread. My favorite episode is believe it or not, School Spirit

Anyone still watching this? I started watching the show a few weeks back and finally have time to dig in now that finals are over. There's something really special about it and I think it's Star herself. She's such a magnetic figure and is a strong catalyst for mayhem and fun, while also being a sympathetic character with a well-established personality. Her voice actress is great too, she's got some depth and rasp that keeps Star from getting too screechy. I also like that the show doesn't stop being funny when the leads are off screen; even the side characters are entertaining.

The only mild complaint I have is that each episode is 11 minutes long and a couple minutes of each, at least early on, have devolved into some kind of fight sequence that always ends with an easy victory for Star and Marco. I think this choice is a bit tongue and cheek, and it plays on the title, but I tune out every time. Otherwise, I'm loving this.

Also, that title sequence is one of the best I've ever seen in animated television. Really dazzling animation that throws you into the world of the show (the dance breakdown omg) and the song is delightfully meta.

I have kept up with this show somewhat despite it not being that good. My favourite part of the show is probably the theme song and the sequence that goes with it. It feels like a kid show solely aimed at kids, which is good, but doesn't really give much to an audience outside the target audience

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've never properly watched this show but I'd be lying if I said I don't occasionally get the "GONNA GET A LITTLE WEIRD! GONNA GET A LITTLE WILD!" lyrics stuck in my head.
    How to remaster

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

It's a good show but I got a feeling they're gonna pull an Adventure Time because the writing of season 2 reminds me too much of post-season 3 Adventure Time, too much plot going on, etc.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

I'm so glad I stuck with this show. Starting around episode 10 (Wayward Princesses) or thereabouts, it's consistently excellent. I'm binging season 2 tonight and am extremely impressed by how far it's come. Still funny, but increasingly dramatic and surprising. The direction is finally catching up with the animation quality and weird, inventive episodes like Ludo in the Wild are something I never would have expected from this show based on the first few episodes.

Blog Entries

Saw a clip of the show on the news the other day a few times featuring same sex kissing because of people being up in arms about the live-action Beauty & The Beast movie making one of the characters gay. Think they were trying to make a point of how Disney's A-OK with showcasing homosexuality now but they didn't really have many other examples.

Disney is miles away from being socially progressive, but it's a nice start and not the first time they've alluded to same sex affection on the show. In the sleepover episode, Star's #1 fan, a female, expressed her infatuation for Star in what was supposed to be a romantic context ("who is your crush") and it wasn't played off as a joke or anything, just following through on established characterization. I was mildly surprised to see that at first, but soon enough I doubt I will be.

I guess this thread may just wind up being me talking to myself, but I've got to make a case for everyone giving this show a chance. Let's start with this piece on the current state of the show, which explicitly places it in the same tier of quality as Steven Universe and Rick And Morty:

http://www.overlyanimated.com/2017/0...can-animation/

If you're anything like me and enjoyed the concept/animation of this show without being thrilled with the character writing and lack of central plot, PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch the second season. The growth it has exhibited is remarkable. There has always been potential in it because Star herself is such a magnetic, potent protagonist, but the character development, central plot, stunning animation and sharp humor has, for me, pushed SvtFoE ahead of this most recent season of Steven Universe. At this moment, I think SvtFoE is the superior show because it packs such momentum and excitement, even in the "filler" episodes.

For those new to the show, watch the pilot, the last couple episodes of season 1 and then binge watch season 2. You'll have a great time.

BATTLE FOR MEWNI OUT NOW

Easily one of the best shows on television right now. Pure momentum and excitement with each episode. About to watch this new offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Suomynona View Post
    I decided to watch all of the episodes that have been released so far, and the conclusion I can get from them all is that THERE'S NOT ENOUGH.
    I couldn't agree more.

I binged the entire show in 3 days and I need more! I'm tired of waiting for the rest of season 3!!

But really this is like the best show for me. There is nothing like it. It definitely feels like a female Adventure Time (but much better imo).
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Season 3 is good af so far. It has such a relaxed, easy pace to it right now and it's incredibly funny. Of all the shows out there intended for children, this one has the most complex, conflicted relationship arcs. You can tell because it's pissing off the shippers multiple times a week.

At some point, I want SvtFoE to settle into a plot involving Eclipsa enlightening Star to how ass-backwards and lowkey racist Mewni has been for centuries, with Marco off to the side trying to decide which side to support.

Dear Lord, the end of that bomb was insane.

This show has absolutely surpassed seasons 4-5 of Steven Universe in terms of consistent quality and ever-developing drama. Even the filler episodes feel as if they have a greater purpose, usually tied to the romantic inclinations of the characters. And when the intensity is ratcheted up, we get today's hour of awesomeness.

Watch this fucking show, guys, or you're missing out.

I too am watching this show, and I agree that some of the lesser episodes that I don't care for (Starfari and Death Peck) seem to have an actual purpose as apposed to some of the Beach City episodes of Steven Universe and do a better job at keeping my attention.

That said, after watching Ponymonium I was like "And the point of this was...?" Though honestly I don't really like Ponyhead all that much to begin with and there's only so much of her that I can take in a single sitting.

Got any favorite characters @Traviud? A few for me are Janna, Jackie and Queen Butterfly. The latter two I put up there with Azula and Frankie Foster as some of my favorite Grey DeLisle roles.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Got any favorite characters @Traviud? A few for me are Janna, Jackie and Queen Butterfly. The latter two I put up there with Azula and Frankie Foster as some of my favorite Grey DeLisle roles.
    Besides Star herself, who I consider one of the most magnetic and exciting television protagonists in a long time, I love Janna and Heckapoo, the bad girls of the SVTFOE world. We got a double dose of them in the fantastic Night Life/Deep Dive and the difference having them around was immediately clear. I really dig Eclipsa too and I think her relationship with Star has the potential to take this show to some very dark places.

In general, one of my favorite things about this series is that the women of the show are written so realistically and with such impressive dimension. You can vaguely categorize them, but a character like Star is so layered and complex at this point that labeling her any certain way doesn't work. She's just...Star. And that's great. It's the same deal with Marco, who actually serves the traditionally weaker "feminine" role in the show, as he is frequently saved and protected by the female protagonist. On the other hand, I love Marco because he has enough self-confidence to barrel through dangerous or possibly ill-advised situations without entirely leaning on Star to bail him out. He's unusually competent for a sidekick, which has become relevant in some of the recent episodes.

As I'm guessing is the case for you (and much of the fanbase), Ponyhead is probably my least favorite character. She's good for a laugh, but with zero accountability, she's basically a self-serving wrecking ball with the occasional funny line delivery. There were a lot of mediocre/forgettable characters that hung around during the first season of the show, but Ponyhead is still here. Jackie and Tom are both characters with potential, but I feel as if the writers aren't giving either of them a fair shake. They are ultimately sacrificial lambs for the inevitable Star/Marco ship and that's just how it is. But I do like Jackie in particular. She's absolutely a girl I would want to date; she's down-to-earth and understanding while still having a sense of adventure.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I've been interested in seeing this for a while (much as I'd like to watch another quality modern Disney show after Gravity Falls which I still miss and since I don't like the new DuckTales very much) so if this really is worth a watch I will check it out.

@Traviud, Yeah, Heckapoo and Eclipsa are also cool.

And you'd be correct in assuming that Ponyhead is my least favorite character. Besides what you mentioned, I just consider her to be a horrible friend for Star. If there will ever be an instance of Star being like "Why are we friends?" (and if there has been, forgive me for not remembering), I'd be like "That is a legitimately good question!" because as shown in Death Peck Ponyhead sometimes tends to make the current situation that they're in even worse.

I also never really liked Glossaryck either. I pretty much sided with anyone who'd say that he was completely useless and felt nothing when  he essentially died when the book was destroyed. His current Came Back Wrong state is possibly the only time I've liked him at all so far as his occasional mannerisms in said condition can get a laugh out of me. 

I finally started watching this a few days ago and have finished the first season.

My first impression was that it was really good and it's only gotten better since; it's silly and goofy fun that doesn't take itself all too seriously. While most of the plotlines and writing aren't anything fantastic (although this got better towards the end of the season where it started to find itself and get less formulaic, whereupon it initially felt like it alternated between three or four different premises) it's the art and character designs, the surprisingly great animation and the colorful and likeable character that are the show's biggest strengths. It's easy to see why it's so liked and beloved as there is a lot of good, well-executed things in it.

Something does hold the show back is that it really feels like the 11 minute segment style does it a disservice; this isn't such a simple show where that short length fits perfectly (such as with The Loud House) as it's an fairly serialized show and a lot of the times it does feel like they cram in a lot of stuff and rush thing so it feels like this would have been a lot better with more 22 minute episodes (and some of them feel like pointless filler & it gets kinda jarring with a slightly serious episode is followed up with something silly; it's like they don't fully trust the audience). I also think that it might overdo the gagfest thing a bit to the point of nothing feeling remotely serious with no real threat (introducing the Toffee character was a great move to counter this and after the season finale it's clear it won't just all be smiles and sunshine anymore; it felt like it held back the drama and darkness but it has proven that both definitely works in this otherwise wacky show).

Will definitely continue watching this as I'm interested in seeing where it goes so yeah, good stuff so far (it's not quite up there with Gravity Falls to me yet but that might change).

@CousinMerl, Got any favorite and least favorite characters?

I like Star herself a lot (a fun, colorful and expressive character) and Marco is great as well, but I surprisingly like Ludo too. Toffee is a very good and interesting antagonist and a couple of side characters I came to like are Tom and Janna. As for least favorites thus far I'd say Princess Ponyhead and Jeremy.

I'll add my favorite and least favorie episodes of season 1 as well. The best were 'Mewberty', 'Blood Moon Ball', 'Mewnipendance Day' (I wish that one was 22 minutes), 'St. Olgas' & 'Storming The Castle' and the worst were 'Party With A Pony', 'Match Maker', 'Lobster Claws' and maybe especially 'The Banagic Incident'.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-22-2017 at 02:47 AM.

@CousinMerl, Ludo's alright, but part of why Toffee was created was because the former is hard to take as a serious villain. That said, he does take a little of a Level in Badass in Season 2. Janna also becomes more involved when she basically replaces Alphonso and Ferguson (who even the show's creator doesn't like, mainly because she was forced to add them by Disney so that Marco could have male friends) as the most prominent recurring side character.

I've already spoken my two cents about Pony Head so I agree with you, and yeah Jeremy sucks too (but he only has two appearances total in Season 2).

I don't think they even intended Ludo to be a serious threat to begin and was always supposed to be a comedic villain with but it was still a good move to have Toffee come into the picture (and besides, I liked the interplay between the two as they were cooperating). As for Alphonso and Ferguson, I never minded them but they were just there and it never felt like they clicked as characters (so I can see why they were forced into the story despite the creator's wishes); I can already see Janna and Jackie becoming better replacements.

Ponyhead wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the abrasive and obnoxious in-your-face personality with the constant shouting, the very tired and stereotyped sassy black woman attitude and behavior & her "Man, you're such an Earth turd, Marco!" thing so I think that they could have done the character much differently & Jeremy mainly feels so pointless (mainly as there is already an rich bitch character with Brittney) and forced just to give Marco a rival (and making him an annoying 8-year old who successfully bullies a teen is just eye-rolling).

I've also started watching the second season and not only do I enjoy the new storyline of Ludo rising again but one of my new favorite characters immediately became Mina. She is really funny with her mentally ill personality and crazed ravings & doings that even made Star feel uneasy and cracked me up (all without becoming an annoyance) but I also like how she clearly is a deeper and more complex character than what is seen on the surface; I wish she had been introduced in season one.

Them being just there was due to Daron Nefcy wanting to use them as little as possible.

Regarding Pony Head, like I said before she's also just so much of a bad friend for Star as well as her tendency to make some of the situations that they're in even worse that you're forced to wonder why she still hangs out with her.

Speaking of Brittney, she basically fades off into the background as well after the first season.

Mina's funny too. And we find out in a flashback in a later episode that it seemed like she was always a little mentally unstable to begin with.

Yeah, I've noticed that the school characters in general have started to fade off and become true background characters (which is a shame as they have potential as supporting ones, but the show really doesn't do anything with them nor seem to have any real interest in developing them). I would like to see more of them get involved than just mainly having Star & Marco misadventures (with or without an visiting interdimensional character) that seem to happen a lot in the second season (and several of these does feel like filler that doesn't really add anything to the overaching story).

If you like Mina now, you'll like the direction season 3 takes. It seems that she will be a going concern for the foreseeable future. They've done some really impressive things to build her character and I've grown to like her a lot.

Season 2's gap from about episode 2 to episode 9 is fillerish — almost like a mildly improved version of season 1 — but everything from just before the midseason break on is solid gold. Season 2b is really where the show hits its stride and IMO it hasn't lost steam since.

Thread Information