(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hercules Rockefeller

Worst jokes of the HD era

- Milhouse's lizard tongue from incest in Let's Go Fly a Coot
    - Jerk-Off in At Long Last Leave
    - the Fisting from Black-Eyed, Please
    - Jasper sending Abe a picture of his "junk" in Havana Wild Weekend

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

- Homer having sleep apnea and having trouble to breathe in his sleep and Marge comically struggling to put the breathing mask of the breathing aid machine on him ('Clown In The Dumps').
    - Grampa gleefully videotaping Homer having a stroke on the kitchen floor ('Love Is A Many Strangled Thing')

Those two were abysmal and kind of horrific. Will post more when they come to my mind.

A typical example of a bad HD era joke came from Lisa goes Gaga. Homer tries to go to Lisa in her treehouse, but climbs up the wrong tree. He literally tells us what we just saw him do, saying "Aw, I climbed up the wrong tree!" A simple "D'oh!" would have been much funnier.

I guess this is another example of jokes being dumbed down, with characters telling us what just literally happened. Or lazy writing.
    Last edited by Rover Hendrix; 07-31-2019 at 11:44 AM.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

These awful "kid scissors" jokes in season 22.

Don't believe me?

* Lisa saying, "I can't spend eternity using kid scissors! They barely cut anything!" in Treehouse of Horror XXI.

* Bart saying, "Kid scissors? Lame!" after Lisa places kid scissors on the table in The Great Simpsina.

I know they're useless for cutting up things, but REALLY? These jokes make no goddamn sense...
    kwyjibo (kwidge-jib-oh): a big dumb balding North American ape with no chin and a short temper.

Hercules Rockefeller

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo View Post
    These awful "kid scissors" jokes in season 22.

Don't believe me?

* Lisa saying, "I can't spend eternity using kid scissors! They barely cut anything!" in Treehouse of Horror XXI.

* Bart saying, "Kid scissors? Lame!" after Lisa places kid scissors on the table in The Great Simpsina.

I know they're useless for cutting up things, but REALLY? These jokes make no goddamn sense...
    I thought you hated the 1st joke for being a dick joke, boy I have a dirty mind
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Homerpalooza 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kwijibo

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    I thought you hated the 1st joke for being a dick joke, boy I have a dirty mind
    No, it's nothing sexual. She said that after Edmund says to Lisa, "We'll be eight forever."... or something like that.

Hercules Rockefeller

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo View Post
    No, it's nothing sexual. She said that after Edmund says to Lisa, "We'll be eight forever."... or something like that.
    I realized it wasn't when I read the second joke you mentioned.

Oh...

There's also that joke in The Fool Monty where Otto uses Mr. Burns as a bong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    A typical example of a bad HD era joke came from Lisa goes Gaga. Homer tries to go to Lisa in her treehouse, but climbs up the wrong tree. He literally tells us what we just saw him do, saying "Aw, I climbed up the wrong tree!" A simple "D'oh!" would have been much funnier.

I guess this is another example of jokes being dumbed down, with characters telling us what just literally happened. Or lazy writing.
    There are times when explaining the joke can be funny, but like an overly long gag, it's a technique that should be used sparingly and in the right situation. It's definitely a hallmark of the HD era and it bugs me as well.
    A little less Generic than before.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

The Cool Zone joke in The Man Who Came to Be Dinner quickly came to my mind. It's an awful, stupid and cruel joke in what is already a pretty awful episode to begin with. But there are a few other jokes that I found just as bad as this one, I'll talk about it later I think.

That terrible joke from Whiskey Business.

Moe: Suicide. Finally. I'm really doing it. No more cries for HELP!!! 'Cause this time, there's no one that's gonna SAVE ME!!! I mean, it's not like I'M BEGGIN' YA, PLEASE, PLEASE SHOW ME SOME LOVE!!!!

Ugh... -__-

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    The Cool Zone joke in The Man Who Came to Be Dinner quickly came to my mind. It's an awful, stupid and cruel joke in what is already a pretty awful episode to begin with. But there are a few other jokes that I found just as bad as this one, I'll talk about it later I think.
    I hated TMWCTBD. After seeing that episodes, I watched very few if any new episodes for at least the next two years.

Thread Information