Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guilty pleasures

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Guilty pleasures

What are some things you like that you know you shouldn't?
    For me:
    - Pokemon, the show.
    Why I should Hate It: Silly cartoon fluff designed specifically to sell toys and games to children, protagonist is still 10 after twenty years and never gets anything done
    Why I like it: I'm currently watching the show, and i i'm liking it! The jokes are good, the plots are well-written, the action issgood (The final climax in episode 1 almost drove me to TEARS, it was SO well-crafted). It's also surprisingly dark for a kids show, Pikachu is critically injured in Episode one! An 8/10 show from what i've seen.

- Pixels.
    Why I should hate it: Dumb comedy movie waxing nostalgic for the '80s
    Why I like it: Excellent humor, interesting story, great effects, awesome action scenes, everything about it just clicked. 10/10 movie.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Why I should hate it: Indie hipster music, filled with screaming vocals, ridiculous word-salad lyrics, and meme fodder.
    Why I like it: While there's some songs I hate, there's lots of good songs, and Mangum's singing helps rather then hurts.

Post some below.
    Last edited by Egg; 12-13-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

Just the first three eps. so far, or have you've gone farther than that?
    Insert signature here

Blog Entries

The first three, next i'll be skipping around and watching eps that look interesting (So I don't have to watch all 900)

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    The first three, next i'll be skipping around and watching eps that look interesting (So I don't have to watch all 900)
    I'd recommend watching the league of each region.

I dont watch it much but remember loving the DP seasons, Advanced Battle and the first half of Best Wishes the most. So that too.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll just do my most obvious one: Hannah Montana
    Why I should hate it: The humor sounds extremely forced, the jokes are really predictable, and the premise is utterly ridiculous
    Why I like it: As ridiculous as its premise is, it sort of makes the protagonist a little more likable. Who doesn't love fame every now and then? But it is great to be able to limit it. Plus, I really do like Miley's relationship with Robbie Ray as well as her best friend Lilly. They're not perfect, but at the same time they're not exactly Mary Sue-ish, allowing for some great emotional moments. I actually got into the series via the movie, which actually doesn't have these problems as much - the humor in the movie is more slapstick-y than pun-based and the plot wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. I watched the show afterwards, and my first thought was, "How can such a great movie come from such a cheesy show?!... But I wanna see more!"

I give it 8 stars out of 10. 9.5/10 for the movie (deducting half a point for its questionable message)

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hannah Montana was pretty good as far as I remember. It wasn't until recently I heard it was pretty infamous.

Blog Entries

T.J. Hooker (that's the cop show with William Shatner).

Why I should hate it: To be completely blunt, the show is awful. The writing is goofy and cheesy. The entire series is basically a testament to William Shatner's ego, as Hooker is an invincible super-cop who always saves the day and can do everything, until by the last two seasons, when they had to cut down on having him do as much stunts and running scenes as he used to do because of how fat Shatner had gotten by that point. His co-stars barely got anything to do and were left in the dust outside of one or two episodes they got every season: Adrian Zmed suddenly became more of a pathetic loser by the third season, Heather Lockleer was an insanely useless cop who always either got kidnapped, would somehow lose track of people she was supposed to take care off like the elderly or children, or just did something completely stupid to further the plot, and James Darren was mostly just a third wheel that the writers never really seemed to know what to do and struggled to give lines too. Every other cop was either useless or evil. The villains were all completely over the top. And there were so many scenes that were just plain bizarre. I should hate it for being so terrible.

Why I like it: The show is so awful, it goes back right around and becomes hilarious awesome. Everything is done with such complete sincerity, no matter how stupid it is. It's fascinating to see the effects of Shatner's growing ego on the production as it becomes more and more about him, as well as how his growing wasteline effects the action scenes. The villains often hilarious for how goofy and over the top they are. My family and I have had a lot of unintentional laughs at the show whenever something stupid or completely ridiculous happens. Basically, it's so bad, it's good.

In fact, my family and I had a great time watching this show, and it's become something of a replacement for our family movie night. One of my family members suggested that we watch it because she used to watch it when she was younger, but we found it so awful, it was hilarious, and we spent months watching the show and goofing on it. It was a lot of fun, but we've run out of episodes that we've recorded and there are no re-runs being shown, so we've moved on Starsky and Hutch because we've decided to keep watching cheesy 70-80's cop shows for the laughs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    Hannah Montana was pretty good as far as I remember. It wasn't until recently I heard it was pretty infamous.
    Hannah Montana as a show actually received a lot of criticism during its run from 2006-2011. Although, I'm sure a lot of it came merely from its popularity (most people tend to just hate on things because they're popular) because the show itself doesn't really get that anymore. However, a lot of people go against because they feel it opened up a can of worms that could never (maybe until recently) be closed, with a series of music-based shows on Disney Channel, blaming it for the start of it.

The thing that seems to be getting the most hate now is actually Miley Cyrus' current career, but that's just basic celebrity bashing.

Blog Entries

still find myself singing along with pre much any pop punk tune from the nineties/early 00s, specially blink, millencolin, lagwagon, wheatus and stuff like that. no matter how cringy it might be now, the music you loved when you were 13/14 will stay with you forever.

television wise, i'm a massive top gear nut, i'd watch clarkson review a bog brush, even though he's a despicable bellend i can't stop watching him.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

High School Musical 1 and 2. 3 I just dont remember

Why I should Hate It: Standard Disney fare I guess. It's not really bad or anything, but it's not fantastic either

Why I LOVE it: WE'RE AAAAAAALL IN THIIIIIIIS TOGEEEEEETHER

Blog Entries

Bakugan Battle Brawlers

Why I Should Hate It: If there's any definition of a toyetic series, it's this. It's like they're not even trying to be subtle. Nothing about it makes any sense and it's difficult to figure out what the rules are even. Some battles feel like they are just someone shouting, "Ability, Activate!" for half the episode (someone on TV Tropes says it is actually 80% of Season 2's dialogue, but I have yet to see a statistic about that) and the protagonist (Dan) isn't the most likable character for most of the first season.

Why I Like It: The first season was rather gender neutral, and I really liked the characters' personailities and dynamics, how they interacted with each other, and so on. While that dynamic was lost later on, I think the series got better as it went on, exploring all the new lands besides just Earth and New Vestroia. It started to cover wars, genocide, and even a psychotic madman. The addition of Mechtogan in Season 4 didn't just seem like an advertisement for Mechtogan - it's like they knew what they were doing to try to work that element in the show.

Done with life BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was my childhood! That and Ed, Edd, n Eddy!

I don't have any guilty pleasures. There's no reason why I should hate anything I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed Bakugan from start to finish.

As for guilty pleasures in general, I don't just pick things that other people hate. I'm sure a lot of people don't like Switched at Birth or Just Add Magic, but neither of them really strike me as being bad. (I've discussed this already with Sofia the First.) Therefore, I can't call them guilty pleasures.

But it's not too uncommon to find flaws in things you like. AlphaOmega admitted he likes T.J. Hooker simply because it's so over-the-top terrible, which I have a few terrible movies I feel that way about too (such as House of Dracula). Bakugan and Hannah Montana are shows I really enjoy no matter what people say, but I am willing to admit they do have their flaws (though I do wonder how I would have felt about the latter if I hadn't watched the movie first).

In fact, that's kind of another thing I liked about Hannah Montana - the fact that they worked the movie into continuity. We see Jackson returning home and telling his dad that Crowley Corners College didn't work out for him, Miley reconnects with Bluejeans (her horse from the movie), and it's mentioned that she revealed her identity to the town of Crowley Corners. But it's all throwaway stuff so it's not like you really had to see the movie when it came out to know what's going on.

Blog Entries

And even though more people probably like this one...

Billions
    Why I Should Hate It: Just about every character in this show is completely unlikable, especially the two protagonists. I'm only two episodes in and they make Walter White from Breaking Bad look like Swiper the Fox from Dora the Explorer.
    Why I Like It: I recently started watching this show because I get free Showtime on Demand as part of my cable provider's "Free Marathon Week" and I'm already addicted. I will try to finish watching this show when my period expires. Yes, everyone in this show is unlikable and will do anything for anything from six figures to $20, but I just can't help but root for them and see what will happen. I think it's that they are just rivals in the stock market and you're not really supposed to favor either of them.

Blog Entries

I remember Bakugan, that show and the toys were everywhere a couple of years ago. I never really got into the show, only saw an episode or two a few times, but I never had anything against it or disliked it either. It seemed like an alright show. My little brother loved it though and still enjoys watching it, he's a huge Bakugan fan.

But anyway, here's another one of my guilty pleasures.

Pokémon anime

Why I should hate it: It's formulaic, it's still about Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket, who haven't really changed at all throughout the years, any friends who join Ash on his travels and the Pokemon they capture will be gone by the end of the region, there is a whole lot of filler to make a region drag out for about three to four years, and Ash will always be ten and never win a Pokemon league.

Why I like it: Despite all its flaws, I still do like some of the newer episodes. There's a certain charm to the show that, even years later, though its ups and downs, it still has, and that's why it keeps pulling me back into it. I still find myself liking and caring about the new characters and Pokemon, even though I know they'll be gone in a few seasons, and I want to see what's going to happen to them. And honestly, I do find the current X and Y seasons to be a big improvement. It's not perfect, but it's got better writing, animation, and a more competent Ash, and to me it's one of the better eras the show has gone through in a long time. At the very least, it's leagues beyond the Black and White era, which became so awful, it was practically unwatchable at times.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg

Blog Entries

Little Charmers

Why I should hate it: This show is extremely formulaic. Here's the basic plot of an episode: Hazel finds out about something or realizes her life is in ruins, so she considers casting a spell to fix it, much to the advice of her mother, the Enchantress. (Does she even have a name? The characters, and the CC, just call her "Enchantress" and I think Posie just calls her "Mrs. Hazel's Mom") So, what does Hazel do? Drag Lavender and Posie into it by going "To the Charm House!" "Come along and fly with us / Up to the Charm House everyone / Come on! It's where the fun never ends / It's all about the magic of best friends!" "To the Charm House!" (Seriously, this happens every episode) Then, Hazel and her friends will cast the spell, and things will go wrong, from minor things like changing their colors to huge things like nearly destroying the entire town. Does Hazel ever get punished for it? No! The worst that happens is if the Enchantress finds out, she'll make Hazel fix it without magic, but Posie and Lavender have actually made up the word "Hazel'd" for when Hazel's spells go wrong. Hmmm, you'd think by now you'd want to do something about Hazel for screwing everything up so badly. But in the end, Hazel and her friends always fix it. How? Like this. "We wave our wands!" "We play our wands!" "We pour our special potions!" "We sparkle up and cast a spell in a single charming motion! Sparkle up, Charmers!" with more repeated stock footage that contradicts what the Charmers are wearing at the time. Also, we know very little about Lavender and Posie; do they even have parents? We know Posie has a mean older brother named Parsley who just shows up out of nowhere to infuriate Hazel and make her want to cast a spell, but that's about it. Also, Hazel's dad (who also doesn't have a name) is basically a Home Improvement-type character. There's also clip shows in 2016, one of which is this show's version of "All Singing, All Dancing", when the show already goes to platforms like iTunes and Google Play and gets frequent repeat time and clip shows are basically pointless in this day and age (and one song was a parody of "Rapper's Delight"... which is like 13 years too late.

Why I like it: Well, for starters, though Hazel never gets punished, it's not like she ever meant to do anything wrong. Sure, she should get a bit more punishment from nearly destroying the whole town, but being really harsh and cruel to your daughter never solved anything (and I can speak from real experience there). The Enchantress openly admits she used to be just like Hazel, which really warms my heart to hear. And in many cases, Hazel is just trying to help her friends. But what I really like about this show is... well, the town of Charmville and everything around it. I like that everyone knows the Charmers are magic, so it's not like they have to keep it from their parents or the rest of the townsfolk (especially when the Enchantress is training Hazel). Not too often you see something like that. Plus, I really do like Hazel's relationship with her family. On top of that, I like how the show treats Enchantress like a job (she has to make plans and settle meetings and everything) essentially putting a woman in the working field. There's also not really a discernable "bad guy". You would think that would go to the ogres, but the ogres aren't treated as villains. Instead, they're treated as a different race with different customs that Hazel and her friends simply need to understand or adapt to in order to speak to them (the Enchantress is often seen engaging with them too, settling disputes with them and the gnomes). While we don't know much about Lavender or Posie, at least they do stand out as individual personalities and do get some focus. All in all, it's not a bad series and I'm glad to have found it, despite its flaws.

Blog Entries

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir

Why I should hate it: Also a very formulaic show. Here's the basic plot. Marinette is crushing on Adrien, the cutest boy in school. But somehow, something happens and one of her closest friends or someone she's interacting it begins to experience negative feelings. Usually, this comes at the hands of Chloe Bourgeious (yes, that's her name), who makes Regina George look like a saint. Sensing this, Hawk Moth will repeat some stock footage of a window opening and take advantage of the situation ("Fly way, my evil akuma!") by akuma-tizing the character. The character will go crazy and start attacking people, mostly the one who "wronged" them. So Marinette will hide and go through her transformation sequence ("Tikki, spots on!") to become Ladybug and Adrien will do so to become Cat Noir ("Plagg, claws out!") The two will fight the bad guy for a bit, Cat Noir flirting with Ladybug the whole time (did I mention they don't know that the other is a superhero?) seemingly doing nothing, until Ladybug shouts, "Lucky charm!" which will give her a seemingly useless item, only for her to stare at a few things and figure out how to defeat the bad guy and learn where the akuma is. "Time to de-evilize!" "No more evil doing for you, little Akuma!" "Bye Bye, Little Butterfly!" "Miraculous Ladybug!" Then the two part ways and everything's back to normal, with Marinette and/or Adrien being extra nice to the person who was akumatized. Why does Hawk Moth only go for people close to a main character? People experience negative feelings all the time! Why not akumatize one of them? And don't even get me started on Chloe. She is one of the most unlikable characters in anything.

Why I like it: For one, it does have great animation. The show was made in France, and still takes place in Paris. The love triangle is a bit more interesting with Marinette being in love with Adrien, but Cat Noir being in love with Ladybug and them not knowing who's who. It's nice to see a gender-split superhero show that still focuses on the female, as well as celebrating her femininity and having Alya and Tikki call her out on it when she goes too far. While Chloe is a typical mean girl (possibly even beyond), Adrien is rich too and is far from mean. He actually goes against most of the stuff his dad makes him do. Plus, Chloe aside, most of the supporting cast is pretty likable, especially Alya and Nino. I am still looking forward to Season 2 and I hope I continue to like it.

Blog Entries

Tosh.O

Why I Should Hate It- it's literally a guy in front of a green screen making jokes about various videos on the internet.

Why I Like It- eh, it's sometimes funny

Blog Entries

Will & Grace

Why I should hate it: It's quite possibly the worst show I have listed so far (provided you aren't wearing anti-Disney Channel or preschool goggles). I just watched an episode for the first time in awhile. I used to love it, but some of the humor does seem really dated nowadays. Its whole appeal was that is had a gay main character (technically two), something not frequently shown on American television. They really beat some of the gay jokes into your head (just saw one where Will supported a mayor simply for being gay, and in the one before it Jack rambled about Grace's boob and girls' backs being soft). It really is a product of its time (it ran from 1998-2006). Knowing the SJW-type mentality this board has, I'm sure most of you probably do despise it more than anything else I listed (unless you'd rather hate on Little Charmers by default just for being a preschool-targeted show).

Why I like it: Oftentimes the aforementioned humor can just be seen as throwaway lines. Aside from just having gay characters, one other thing that made it stand out was the fact that it was a show that starred a man and a woman (the titular characters, no doubt) who are not romantically involved (and they even live together!). Of course, having Will be gay is a bit of a copout, but what about Will and Jack? Eight straight years, not one sign of any romantic tension between them. They even kissed once (and that time was to prove that there's nothing wrong with gays on television) and nothing. Plus, there's a lot of sweet moments there, pretty much all the non-gay jokes hit their mark perfectly, and though it has a laugh track, it doesn't really hurt the show. In fact, if you tried to cut it out, you'd end up cutting a lot of dialogue (and you can't insert creepy music).

I heard it returned for a 10-minute short about the presidential debate, I have yet to see it, and it may be revived for a miniseries on Netflix. I do wonder how a new version of it would look in the year 2016.
    Last edited by BlueRibbonCommittee; 01-03-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Disney's Descendants

Why I should hate it: My biggest problem with the movie is that it sort of shits on Disney movie history, especially shitting on the same thing it's trying to honor. Aren't Maleficent, Jafar, and The Evil Queen supposed to be dead? If they remember so many events from their movies, how can they forget that they, you know, died? I guess Jafar didn't really die if you want to could The Return of Jafar as non-canon, but by that logic, he should be a genie! And why is the Fairy Godmother suddenly in her late 30s/early 40s? I thought she was supposed to be an old woman! All of that out of the way, this movie is essentially a big ball of cheese, just like every DCOM. I mean, the Descendant's names are so uninspired. Mal, Jay, Evie, and Carlos? And also Audrey, Lonnie, Doug, and... Ben? I mean, isn't Carlos supposed to be a Hispanic name? Speaking of ethnicities, there's a bit of whitewashing too with Jafar and Jay played by white people, though I may sound like a hypocrite for not caring that Cruella De Vil is played by a black woman. Make of that what you will. Furthermore, there's two major things in the movie that do stick out. For one, Ben was aware that Mal cast a love spell on him and is still willing to be in a relationship with her despite the fact that she basically manipulated him and he was aware of it for half the time? Also, Jane stole the wand and caused a lot of damage, releasing the villains, and received absolutely no punishment. Furthermore, where did the kids come from? Did the villains find mates in the Island of the Lost?

Why I like it: For one, it's got very amazing choreography. Given that Kenny Ortega worked on it, that's probably no accident. Also, I really do like big Disney crossover universe media - I don't think there's ever really been one since House of Mouse, and that ended in about 2001. (I suppose there's Sofia the First as well, but we never see two different characters from different universes at the same time.) Also, as cheesy as Ben's decision to stay with Mal was, at the same time, Audrey was a total bitch and I just wanted to punch her in the face the moment she appeared in the movie. (In fact, I'm a bit surprised Audrey didn't steal the wand at the end.) While I could easily tell the Descendants were going to want to stay at Auradon Prep, the way they did it worked so well, plus I like the idea of Auradon Prep. Also, while they shat on some history by keeping the villains alive, I do like the way they worked some of the references in. My favorite was when Audrey said she had no hard feelings for Maleficent trying to kill her parents, then Mal said she had no hard feelings for her grandparents refusing to invite her mother to the christening. It's about time someone put some shade on that! (Maleficent is probably one of my favorite Disney villains for that reason - she wasn't exactly wrong.) But most of all, the whole issue of parental anxiety is something that I can really relate to, so I kinda teared up when the kids said they were afraid of what their parents might to do them rather than just disappointing them. Also, first live action appearance of Dragon Maleficent! (She wasn't in the Angelina Jolie movie.) And despite the whitewashing with Jafar and Jay, it was so nice to see Lonnie played by an actual Asian woman. Let's hope that the live action Mulan movie doesn't whitewash anything....

Blog Entries

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL

Why I should hate it: To this board, the entire franchise should be guilty pleasures. But I know some of you liked the original DM when it was out, so I would say GX, 5D's, and especially ARC-V may be unpopular opinions rather than guilty pleasures. So, anyway, what sticks out about ZEXAL? Well, for one, the protagonist, Yuma, is really annoying compared to other Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonists. It is nice to see him start out by not being a pro, but it feels like they went from one extreme to the other here. Especially early on, his growth seems so inconsistent. One episode, he seems to have learned a lot, but next time, he summons a monster with a lower ATK point than that of his opponent with no strategy to go off of. Plus, his initial attitude towards Astral made him very unlikable at the start. Many of the supporting characters don't seem to really do anything and are just there to be cheerleaders, especially Caswell and Flip. You could argue that Tristan was the same way in the original DM, but at least he had chemistry with the leads and other main characters. And Tori is just shoehorned into every episode for absolutely no reason whatsoever, to the point where it makes no sense half the time. Why did she have to accompany Yuma to Barian World to take on Don Thousand? All she did was yell at him and even cause more trouble during his duel with Alito. Speaking of Flip, he's an extremely unlikable asshole who seemed to have learned something in his debut episode, only to completely forget it later on and is somehow forgiven nearly each and every time. I was actually somewhat glad to see him die/get sent to Barian World before the final arc, and I think Yuma went too far trying to duel against Nistro and Dextra when they threatened to kick him out. Plus, this is the worst series when it comes to female characters. All they seem to be here is love interests, notably Cathy, Tori, and Anna forming a harem for Yuma. Dextra just seems to be a love interest for Kite as well, and while Kari's flame was just around for two episodes (Charlie McCay), she acts towards Yuma the way modern Bart and Lisa do. Remember when Joey really cared about Serenity's safety and her vision? Or even when Atticus and Alexis cared for each other? Those days are gone. Oh, and the main villains? The Barians give off a terrible impression at the start by sending Girag and Alito in first, for Girag to just hypnotize random people that make no sense (if a tough leader of a gang and a professional duelist couldn't do anything, what the fuck was he thinking later on?) and other stupid plans that make no sense (trying to hypnotize Yuma's friends and convince him to lose on purpose... but the moment he'd see one of them play Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force, he wouldn't try to lose on purpose!) and Alito arrives only to... fall in love with Tori. Really, THESE are the main villains?

Why I like it: It does get a lot better later on, starting mostly at the end of the Barian Invasion arc when we see that "Ray Shadows" was Vector all along. And despite me hating that Anna's just another stupid love interest, at the same time she does break one bit of mold among female Yu-Gi-Oh! characters - her deck is not cutesy or girly-looking monsters, instead focusing on trains. Also, Shark is one of my favorite characters from the franchise as well - he's like a more serious and calm version of Joey (bully character who warms up to the main character, has a sick sister who he really cares about). Speaking of Shark's sister, Rio, she also subverts a trope - she's not helpless like Serenity or Luna. In fact, she becomes important later on and even early on can sense the presence of a Barian. And when you put it all on paper, the Barians aren't bad villians altogether and I like their story. While one of them, Mizar, does seem to just be there to give Kite something to do later on, at the same time he becomes very important later. And speaking of Kite, he's like a much less rude/head-up-his-ass version of Kaiba as well. He's kinda like Kaiba done right (reckless father, cares for his little brother, etc.) Plus, I find myself snickering at some of the episodic comedic episodes. It's a nice touch for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series. All in all, definitely worth the watch.

Blog Entries

Princess Protection Program

Why I should hate it: Just look at the freaking title.

Why I like it: I like cheese.

I am feeling very out of character today.

Jaws 2

Why I should hate it: Because it's a cash-grab movie which has the exact same storyline as the original but lacks the suspense and humanity of the original.

Why I like it: It's still really entertaining full of intense, exciting moments and that's good enough for me.

Blog Entries

Wow, what happened to me last night? Usually when I type these things, I point out every thing there is not to like, then look at it from a more positive perspective. That was just a few words about Princess Protection Program. I mean, I'm trying to write more meaty reviews... Oh well..

Frenemies

Why I should hate it: I'm starting to think Disney Channel movies are going to be the bulk of what I'm posting here now. I literally knew how all three stories were going to end. They were so short and sometimes it didn't feel like there was enough buildup for some of the things to happen, especially Avalon and Halley. Plus, Jake's conflict was with a girl, and another Prince and the Pauper-type story for the last? Yawn. Seen it before.

Why I like it: Though it did shorten the stories, I gotta give them credit for using the anthology method. Sometimes things are better off condensed, and when was the last DCOM to use this format? Was there... ever one? Anyway, while it is a bit cliche for the whole "giving up your best friend for a girl" story, at least it tried something new by having his best friend be a dog. Plus, I didn't think Julianne was going to go THAT far, by spraying perfume on Jake's NASA acceptance letter to get Murray to nearly flush it down. My heart started pounding at that moment, not because of what almost happened between Jake and Murray, but because of Jake potentially losing his acceptance letter. Murray being friends with Savannah did set something up for later, and it was a bit more surprising to see Julianne trying to get with the other guys too. Really made me go "Haw-haw!" at Julianne when her ruse was found out, and I was a bit surprised to see Jake destroy his project, saying that he could always get another A but only had one best friend. Now that's a true friendship.

Now onto our second story, Avalon and Halley. Their story was teased at the very beginning of the movie, and they somewhat serve as narrators for the movie. But that's another good thing; they do narrate, but not in every single scene. (It's done in the style of them posting on a blog.) I've seen Bella Thorne and Zendaya Coleman as best friends in Shake It Up, and while they are playing pretty much the same roles, it really works for them in my eyes. What's more is that these two appear in all three of the segments and do not have dates. Anyway, their friendship stood a test too. On one hand, their conflict was sort of the shortest of them all, with the sold-out Jean concert and the Burns Publishing issue, but I was glad that it wasn't going to be over Avalon criticizing Halley's fashion sense (or more accurately, lack thereof). And yet, after all that, they write the article together anyway despite Cherie saying they'd only hire one. I actually thought she (Cherie) would have a change of heart and hire both, but this bit surprised me. They both dropped out. They're either in together, or not in at all. They're happy with their Geeky Chic blog and will stay that way. Plus, that show of loyalty at least got them a news report which made more people read their little blog. I always like when they can't get their main goal, but at least get something out of it, instead of always going from one extreme to the other.

And yes, the last one was a Prince and the Pauper type story with two girls played by the same person switching places, one's rich, one's poor, blah blah blah. But, I do give them credit for not making Emma into a stereotypical mean girl just for being rich, even after living in Savannah's shoes and not liking it. At the end of the first story, Jake says, "No more girls" to Murray, which upset Savannah then, but we see Murray trusts Savannah so he wouldn't be as upset about Jake being with her as he would with Julianne. See, this is how you insert a dog into a familiar story and make it work. Plus, despite my earlier complaint about smarmy romance, we see Emma was already with Lance and "Savannah" lands a date with Jake, which despite their earlier confessions to each other about not liking it (another good point; they didn't wait until it got super duper awkward to switch back, admitting to each other they wanted to bail out early), they were glad about it. The biggest surprise to me was that Emma was trying to dump Lance before. With all the stuff that they did build to, it made me glad with how everything turned out in the end.

Also, extra points for not making Jake into a "super nerd" whom all the kids make fun of and actually giving him a good group of friends instead of taking the old cliche teen route.

4.5/5

I'm from Canada, eh. People think I'm slooooow.

I used to be super into Jersey Shore, watching it religiously every Thursday (Jersday). And what do you know, six years on and I'm going back and rewatching it like it's good television.
    please watch my duck cartoon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFA9fBhIeR8

Blog Entries

@korusan

NICE

I'm from Canada, eh. People think I'm slooooow.

Quote Originally Posted by Telso View Post
    @korusan

NICE
    haha enjoy the Pokemon sig :-)

I bumped into a teacher of mine on the train one time who confessed to the same guilty pleasure, haha

Blog Entries

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie: Pyramid of Light

Why I should hate it: Yes, there is reason to hate this movie even within the context of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series and franchise itself. It takes a massive shit all over many aspects of the series and has many characters acting out of character to make the plot "work". You could even call this the modern Simpsons of Yu-Gi-Oh! Anyway, so we begin after Battle City (SPOILER ALERT: Yugi won, which this movie tells us despite being released before the Battle City finale aired) where they constantly emphasize Yugi defeating Kaiba when he faced Marik in the finals, as well as emphasizing that Yugi is champion because of the Egyptian God Cards, when in reality, he didn't become champion because of them, he won them along the way to becoming champion (and he defeated The Winged Dragon of Ra to become champion). So Seto Kaiba, who has promised Mokuba that they'd start building Kaiba Land and just blew up his Duel Tower to get all that out of his mind (and we see in Waking the Dragons that he locked away his deck to avoid temptation) is obsessed with finding a way to defeat Yugi and his God Cards, never mind that Yugi wouldn't use the God Cards in a normal duel against an Obelisk-less Kaiba because he thinks it's too dangerous (remember when he was reluctant to use Slifer to defeat Bakura? and when he said he didn't want to use it against Marik-controlled Joey?) and goes to Pegasus immediately looking for a card that can defeat the God Cards, never mind that this is the man who just stole his soul and now he's just willing to walk right up to him... see? We've got so much OoC-ness here, and I forgot something - so Anubis was released along with Yami when Yugi solved the Millenium Puzzle, and he's in his room solving the puzzle. Never mind we already established that he put in the last piece after Joey fished it out of the lake he threw it in, also the fact that no one could solve the Puzzle and Solomon had found it on an archaeological dig, and it has instructions now?! So about Anubis. We see that Yami had killed Anubis in the past and now he's back for revenge and his continued plan to destroy the world because... he wants to? I mean, all the villains had some sort of motivation for what they were doing. Pegasus kidnapped Solomon to lure Yugi to the island due to his deal with the Big 5 about reviving his dead wife, and Marik was possessed and wanted to take over for the Pharaoh because he blamed him for the loss of his father. Even the Big 5, filler villains, were just out for revenge against Kaiba for firing them and Yugi for destroying their plans, and Noah wanted revenge on Kaiba for hogging all the glory. Why did Anubis want to destroy the world? They never go into that. So Anubis had snuck the Pyramid of Light card in Pegasus' deck, and after Kaiba beats him, he took the card and a different one from him. So Kaiba and Yugi have their duel, and Yugi is about to draw Slifer, and is... happy? Why is he so eager to use an Egyptian God Card against Kaiba? It made sense in Battle City, because more was on the line and Kaiba had Obelisk to protect him. Other than that, he's only ever done so against Yami Bakura and Yami Marik. So Anubis really sets himself up to be defeated, by infiltrating the Puzzle and... sucking in Joey, Tristan and Yugi so they have a chance to stop him? Why the hell did he do that? And furthermore, when in there, why was Tea so scared of the mummies when Joey stood and fought? I mean, Joey is afraid of the undead - remember when he was scared of that cave and Bonz' monsters? They even called back to it when Bakura mentioned he won all his Locator Cards from Bonz and he was really freaked out. Tea, on the other hand, just acted like it was nothing. See, more being out of character! Also, Kaiba thinks about giving Yugi the "perfect victory" by defeating him with his own God Cards, when that's not a "perfect victory" because Yugi never cared much about those God Cards, only collecting them to help find out Yami's past. A real "perfect victory" would be defeating him with the Dark Magician, because that is his signature card, NOT the God Cards! But it gets worse, later on, Yami speaks of Kaiba wanting to give him the "perfect victory" when those words didn't leave his mouth, he only thought them! And Anubis basically sets himself up for defeat later on, by allowing real cards and monsters to be summoned in his presence, basically allowing him to be destroyed with the Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon. What a pathetic villain!

Why I like it: The old Yu-Gi-Oh! cheese still got to me. All the friendship stuff and whatnot still stood out to me regardless of the movie completely shitting on Yu-Gi-Oh! history.

You shouldn't be made to feel guilty for liking what you like.

You do you.

Aquamarine (2006)

Why I should hate it: This is some random teen movie with the demographic of 12 year old girls. The film has an average story at best and it's predictable and cliche.

Why I like It: Because it's a fun, funny, feel good movie. It gets me excited for the summer and to be honest, I don't care about the cliches or the fact that I'm not part of the aimed demographic. The songs are terrific, the story has plenty of adventure and it has some genuinely good themes about identity, friendship and sacrifice.

Thread Information