Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

that is a good point: they spent a good time correlating chuck's mental illness to jimmy's bad deeds, so it would only stand to reason that something the dude did made him downspiral into his condition.

I wouldn't be shocked if we learn that in the long run.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chuck is right to a degree but to say that Jimmy hasn't been trying to do good for the most part isn't accurate to me. The only explicitly scummy thing he's done all season, in my opinion, is work with the two skaters to try and get fast cash. He's had a lot of options to take the low road and he has consistently done the right thing. Of course, what Chuck said is true, he is "Slippin' Jimmy" and he did take a few shortcuts to get to where he is but doesn't it matter that Jimmy is actually trying to get on top of things and do good with himself? I believe that if things had worked out and Jimmy had gone to HHM, Saul wouldn't exist - I see Chuck's betrayal (after Jimmy took care of him and even got him back to working) as what breaks Jimmy but again, that's just my opinion. Although I do agree that if Jimmy caused Chuck's mental illness in the first place, Jimmy's attention toward him almost has to be guilt and his actions wouldn't seem as clear-cut and pure.

As I see it, Jimmy is a tragic hero - he's done what's right and taken the higher ground and when it looks like he's finally going to get rewarded, it all crashes down on him. What option does he have now? He's tried so hard to be the good guy, fought with himself to not be slimy and take money or step on other people to get ahead; now comes the descent - the fall into Saul Goodman. His time on BrBa was charismatic and cocky and confident (for the most part) but I'm sure that's all an act after what we've seen Jimmy put through.

but he did try to take money. he gave it back only when he had to. and yes, that was somewhat selfless because he was looking out for what's-her-face, but still. he had no qualms taking the money in the first place and giving it back wasn't because he realized it was "wrong". also the staged scheme with the billboard could have easily gone awry and killed that dude. and for what? publicity and money. furthermore, i don't see how chuck's "betrayal" would make him be slippin jimmy/saul. first of all, he's still going to get a significant payday from this case. he can use that to start his own firm or he can leverage the case to go work for another firm. it's not like HHM are the only lawyers in Albuquerque. he chooses to slip back into that because he had never really left it behind in the first place

Blog Entries

I thought that money is what will eventually go into him acquiring the saul goodman offices, but I still have no idea if the show is going to go in that direction this quickly.

also, did anyone else notice that the guy mike beat down in the parking garage was trevor from GTA5?

Quote Originally Posted by box elder View Post
    also, did anyone else notice that the guy mike beat down in the parking garage was trevor from GTA5?
    I noticed. It was pretty badass and I think Mike finally explained how the GTA protagonists can carry various weapons without looking like they do. I didn't watch the whole episode yet, but any chance that "Trevor" will be back anytime soon?

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

For the record, Jimmy is most definitely in the wrong here to assume he could join HHM. He's been dippin' into slippin' jimmy all season because that's who he is, but I don't think that's who he wants to be. His desire to take part in legitimate business, especially one under his brother's wing seems very honest and real. Whether he's got that gypsy criminal mind or not, he DOES do hard work, yet he DOES take shortcuts if he could jump on it. And there's your character. I think Jimmy feels that if he's set in a safe environment, where he doesn't feel the need to take shortcuts to go anywhere, he can at least be a monkey with a machine gun in a controlled environment and any of his dumpster-diving ambition can be channeled on the side of law and order. Call me a fool, but I think that's how he thinks and I can sympathize with it, but we all know that's not how it's going to be. This isn't a story of Jimmy's transformation into Saul or an origin story that Chuck put him on, but Jimmy's journey to accept who he is and once he does it'saul good man.

Chuck is absolutely right to call him out on it. It was his shadiness and fear of confrontation though that made it come off so shitty. Either way, it's a great penultimate episode for the season and it totally puts things in perspective for the series.

Oh and I know I've been gone a month but how has it been near a week and nobody has mentioned the reveal that Nacho is Ignacio from Breaking Bad?

Hired Goon

Holy shit. How did I not notice that?

i had to google that, but even then all i could find was a reference to one line saul says ("it wasn't me, it was Ignacio.")....how do you expect everyone to immediately remember that?

Blog Entries

I didn't think everyone would immediately remember but I thought it would at least get mentioned by someone after a week from people who are pretty big fans and usually have a keen eye on stuff like that, even if they had to read it somewhere else. Not to toot my own horn (ok maybe I am), but I noticed it the night it aired.

I mean maybe it's just me, but when I hear there's a spin-off and we're sitting around waiting for it, I wonder about how continuity would be handled and season 2's "Better Call Saul" is pretty much one of the first places I look considering it's when his character is introduced. Plus it's a pretty suspicious scene.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 04-05-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Blog Entries

yeah I haven't watched breaking bad a million times but I'm confused. somebody plz explain?

Quote Originally Posted by box elder View Post
    I totally didn't notice, I didn't play GTA V, although I do know the character lol.
    But did anyone also notice that the Nacho/Ignacio guy was the voice actor of the deliciously insane Vaas character in that Far Cry game? (I believe they based the character off him, as they look similar, and he also played Vaas in a "live-action" mini series about the game, which you can find on youtube I think.)
    Last edited by ThaSimpsonz; 04-05-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    yeah I haven't watched breaking bad a million times but I'm confused. somebody plz explain?
    In the season 2 episode "Better Call Saul", when Walt and Jesse have Saul at gunpoint, he mistakenly think they are hitmen and says "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio." Ignacio being Nacho's true name.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Blog Entries

Oh.

Ok.

Hired Goon

The only reason I remember it now is that a bunch of people on Reddit pointed out "I wonder if this 'Ignacio' guy will show up in Better Call Saul" back when the prequel was announced/shooting. Without that I probably never would have made the connection unless I had just watched the "Better Call Saul" episode right beforehand, maybe.

Still, really neat tie-in. I guess this gives Nacho plot-armor since we know he's still alive in the Br Ba timeline. He may even still be around behind-the-scenes during the whole Heisenberg thing, hmm... definitely some potential there.

Gahhh season finale tonight and I won't get to watch it until after 2 AM! Really excited though.

Blog Entries

Not sure how I feel about this episode yet...

so, he has the chance to join a legit firm as a real lawyer but realizes he's been slippin jimmy/saul all along?

man if only someone saw that coming

Blog Entries

Yep it was always a matter of him coming to terms with who he is. The idea of legitimate work was always a consideration for him though. It's just that it's a pipe dream.

Man, as soon as Marco started coughing, I remember having the passing thought that he might collapse, but I completely put it out of my mind. That was a great character and I loved the scamming montage. It was a lot more creative than the usual time lapse ones.

Oh and that absolute self-destruction at the bingo hall was brutal.

Overall, a pretty solid first season.

Hired Goon

Man, I was POSITIVE that they were gonna end the season with a major Breaking Bad bomb being dropped, like Mike meeting Gus, or something like that. I'm relieved that they didn't do that, even though it would've been cool.

I saw Marco's death coming as soon as the scene with him in the alley started Good character, and I loved that scamming montage too.

Good, open-ended way to end the season. I was afraid they were gonna do something like have him move to Chicago, and was relieved when it didn't happen. Now Jimmy is ready to accept who he really is, and start kicking some ass.

Great season. I cannot wait to see where else this show goes. Goddammit we have to wait a fucking year now

Hired Goon

Oh and the Kevin Costner callback was great

Blog Entries

yup, glad to be wrong on "chuck makes saul 'saul'" thing here (he still, as the show puts it, has cardboard up his ass and such)... jimmy realizes he can only truly break out when he's free to do what he does best, nevermind what chuck, or the world thinks.

after that brilliant bingo meltdown, the middle was kind of confusing because you have this montage that makes it seem like jimmy escapes to chicago for months and then it turns out to be just a week, but I did love all that stuff with him and marco (mel rodriguez being the exact opposite of his goody-two-shoes todd character from 'last man on earth' which was funny in of-itself). it was almost to the point where I was wondering if the season was going to end without seeing mike or chuck again, but they snuck them in at the last minute with a nice wrap-up. (it was also nice to get a scene between howard and jimmy without the misunderstood hostility)

and then, with jimmy kind of complete (with the ring and the watch) to mostly how we see him in breaking bad, he finally makes his decision to, well... break bad and embrace it. I was glad because when they brought up the idea of him going to another law firm, I was a bit deflated thinking they might drag this into the next season. my guess is that the entire second season will be jimmy constructing saul goodman, with the third, as I put it earlier, finally becoming the "saul goodman adventures" show, just pre-dating walt and jesse. of course, we won't fully find out until AMC decides if they want this show to run alongside walking dead or between walking dead in 2016 soooooo see you guys then

anyway, i didn't think this was a very strong episode tbh. i am glad that they didn't feel the need to have a big breaking bad-esque climax or cliffhanger, but i just think it was a little too cliched on the whole. first of all, the "guy faces hurdle and immediately goes back to his old bad habits" thing has been done to death. plus the whole "come on man, one more score!" cliche, which of course leads to his friend (marco?) dying at just the right time for maximum effect. it just came off as pretty cheesy and convenient. overall a good season though
    Last edited by box elder; 04-07-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Hired Goon

If anything, I do admit that Marco's death was a bit forced and plot-convenient. Probably wasn't my favorite episode of the season either (that would take some thought... so many great ones). But I like how open-ended they are leaving it. We already know what's going to eventually happen, so it's nice that they're taking us on this wild ride with unpredictable twists even though it's a prequel. There are still lots of ways things could go before Jimmy becomes Saul.

Also I didn't even realize that Marco's ring & watch were a staple of Saul's eventual appearance. Nice detail.

Blog Entries

Definitely the worst episode of the season. You guys already pointed out what I was gonna say - it was just convienent and cliched plotwise. I still enjoyed it, the first season was basically just an origin story. Overall, great first season - definitely one of my favorite shows in recent memory. I'm glad that Gilligan didn't go with the BrBa twist cliffhanger and just left it open, really loved the final parting shot of the road. I can also understand why Jimmy didn't go the straight path, mainly to set the show up and get the ball rolling for the second season but with how hard he fought and how angry he was over Chuck's betrayal, I really wish he would've taken it but... Then again, if he did, it would've just been another "shortcut". He just embraced what he knew was always coming and fell into Slippin' Jimmy.

Blog Entries

The finale had its moments but it did leave a lot to be desired. I thought the bingo scene went on for far longer than necessary and the general pacing of the episode just didn't feel as tight. I didn't see Marco's death coming but that's probably because I assumed Jimmy was going to get caught at some point. I thought that guy they were trying to fool was going to reveal himself as an undercover cop. Anyway, I did really like the scenes between Jimmy and Marco but overall it could have been a lot better. Compare it to the season 1 finale of Breaking Bad and it just seems to be missing something.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I found this episode quite boring (or maybe it's because i was very tired), but not bad though. Hopefully second season gets more tensions/action.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

I just finished watching. I was lovin' it so much I decided to wait and then binge watch them all. it was pre great overall but I feel like there's just SOMETHING missing. like, it oozes br ba but in like the first 3 eps of br ba you had an amazing villain, two great leads and a bunch of side characters but here, the only character I truly like is Saul. I guess that's meant to be the point? because it's about "saul's journey" but even with Mike's story (btw his solo episode was FANTASTIC - loved that), it sort of ended a bit dull and I just sort of felt satisfied that Mike was going to look after his granddaughter back in br ba so it just felt kinda EH.
    this all sounds a bit harsh but it's mainly because i know this show is getting tons of love so i dont feel the need to go out of my way to praise it so much. we all know this is really good TV.
    speaking on the season as a whole: loved all the scams saul pulled like the billboard & the rolex and of course all the stuff with marco in the finale. i also loved right early on in the season with saul doing all those cheap trials trying to make ends meet. I just loved that gritty fast paced legal side of it all. i love the basic concept of loopholes and stuff so seeing him thrive in those areas is great to me. i also loved the mike stuff when he was out doing things but the stuff with his daughter just sorta seemed like filler?
    but one thing I do disagree with you all on is that chuck twist. goddamnit i knew from the moment Hamlin wouldnt give saul the job at that meeting. i just knew chuck was behind it. i dont even know why. i just felt the way he wouldnt say, i knew there was gonna be some weird reason behind and then i just guessed chuck because of how we were supposed to be getting fond of him recovering from his breakdown and the such, it just felt like the right time and it was a solid twist, even if I found it predictable, so yeah, that reveal was highly expected so it sadly didn't really have much impact.

overall, not as good as breaking bad's phenomenal start, but I suspected so & find that too high a standard to hold it to. mainly because of the lack of any memorable characters outside of saul (and I guess Mike) and no great villain. chuck could be a good antagonist if they play it right and blur the lines between who is right and wrong (I love @box elder's idea about saul causing chucks breakdown).

essentially, I am LOVING THE SHOW. BUT it's honestly a bit wibbly wobbly and nowhere near the greatest of Br Ba season 1 so I doubt it will ever manage to catch up but it's a genuienly awesome spin-off show. saul is an absolutely amazing character and he carries this entire show by himself.

oh and that kevin costner bit was perfect.
    can't wait for season 2.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

the kevin costner thing and the other little nods like that sorta concerns me. is literally everything saul ever said in breaking bad going to be shown at some point?

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: box elder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot74 View Post
    oh and that kevin costner bit was perfect.
    There's actually a thread on IMDB at the moment where someone claims that what Jimmy did was rape, since he tricked the woman into sleeping with him. I guess that would make Barney Stinson the biggest rapist on television.

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    the kevin costner thing and the other little nods like that sorta concerns me. is literally everything saul ever said in breaking bad going to be shown at some point?
    I think things like that are pretty harmless. The Kevin Costner thing was just them adding to a joke, basically. It didn't really affect the story at all. They saw an opportunity to do a "call-forward" to a line in Breaking Bad, so they took it. I would rather they do little references like this, than go overboard with totally obvious lazy references like having Jesse bump into Jimmy and say "watch where you're going BITCH!" or something.

So I'm cool with it as long as they don't go too overboard.

Thread Information