Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I've been watching the show live with my friend (just like we did with both halves of the final season of Breaking Bad. He came over with a bag of cinnabons.

Blog Entries

I just saw an episode list and the next 2 episodes (which are the only ones listed) are called "Nacho" and "Hero". So far every episode title ends in "O".

Really enjoying this. Bob Odenkirk makes an immensely likeable lead and the whole thing is just a lot of fun.

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i am enjoying this so far and there have been some great sequences (in particular i loved the scene where saul was on a date and that guy kept breaking breadsticks - great music, cinematography and it was darkly comic), but it really just feels like breaking bad but with saul as the lead.

i mean yes, the plots are different and there are different characters, but tonally the show still feels very breaking bad-esque. there are of course differences here and there, but generally the tones of each show are pretty similar. and i don't know, it's just kind of bland to me. i watched and greatly enjoyed breaking bad all the way through, twice, and i was kind of hoping that better call saul would strike some different chords, and so far it hasn't, for me.

i totally get why people are loving this but just on a personal level i'm just a little 'used to' BB's "style" and hoped BCS would be something different. that said it's only been two episodes and lord knows breaking bad changed tonally over 5 seasons so i'm still on board. and i am enjoying it! it just feels kind of tired to me. sort of how i feel when watching brooklyn nine nine. i like it, but, well, i've already seen the office and parks and rec

Blog Entries

I was thinking about that last night (hence my most recent post), and what's bizarre is that I just don't care if BCS is basically breaking bad season zero. (which, let's be totally honest here, it pretty much is) I know how much people may find it tiring but I'm really not at all tired of breaking bad's style because it's so well done and entertaining. there is a tinge of disappointment in that the show started out as a comedy series, in fact I'm pretty sure in the very early stages of development it was supposed to be a half-hour, and they basically just decided that it'll be a companion piece to BB both in story and tone.

and as much as I'd love to see what vince gilligan could do with a true comedy, I feel that it would also ring a bit false when it comes to this subject matter. because saul is a part of the breaking bad universe, so it feels natural to have him in a show just like it. and again, I totally get the caveats one may have but it's just the fact that I absolutely adore watching this kind of show. and that obliterates any problems I may have immediately, because it's just so much fun.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

The only thing that has been itching at me is why Tuco would feel the need to negotiate with Jimmy when he has nothing to gain or lose from the situation. I mean I know, I get that Jimmy was playing on Tuco's ego by buttering him up as having a 'tough but fair' reputation, while still catering to Tuco's desire for satisfied "justice", but I don't know. It was smart for Jimmy to strike a deal with his superpower of a mouth that keeps firing until it hits something, but there was something about it that just felt a little too silly. I mean it was definitely funny and set itself apart from what we're used to seeing in Breaking Bad, and once the leg breaking started, it definitely turned dark and disturbing. The directing and acting for that moment was really good. I just have mixed feelings about whether it even made sense or not for Tuco to make a deal with someone whom means nothing to him.

Anyway, I'm enjoying where it's going. I still don't know what the show is going to be like yet. The tone is treading on similar to Breaking Bad and something completely different, which I can't quite put my finger on yet.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    The only thing that has been itching at me is why Tuco would feel the need to negotiate with Jimmy when he has nothing to gain or lose from the situation. I mean I know, I get that Jimmy was playing on Tuco's ego by buttering him up as having a 'tough but fair' reputation, while still catering to Tuco's desire for satisfied "justice", but I don't know. It was smart for Jimmy to strike a deal with his superpower of a mouth that keeps firing until it hits something, but there was something about it that just felt a little too silly. I mean it was definitely funny and set itself apart from what we're used to seeing in Breaking Bad, and once the leg breaking started, it definitely turned dark and disturbing. The directing and acting for that moment was really good. I just have mixed feelings about whether it even made sense or not for Tuco to make a deal with someone whom means nothing to him.
    I think it might be due to the fact that this is a less confident, early version of Tuco who is still finding his roots as a major drug dealer, one who is more willing to listen because secretly he is a bit insecure at this stage. thus is why he's more willing to hear what saul has to say, especially in regards to building himself up at what he dreams to be. in breaking bad, he already achieved it, thus far more unreasonable and insane.

Blog Entries

Yeah plus his brain was more fried from using his own product for however long. That does make it more plausible. Hopefully on my second viewing, it will play better because it was a good scene but I just remember having that thought in the back of my mind.

Hired Goon

Seeing Gonzo and No-Doz again was a nice treat. I loved the callback (call-forward?) to Tuco beating No-Doz to death in the S1 finale of Br Ba. Or was it Gonzo he beat to death? I can never remember.

I was initially skeptical of this show but I'm really digging it so far.

Blog Entries

He beats No-Dose

Blog Entries

I've watched the first two episodes and I'm currently enjoying the show just fine. Nothing spectacular has happened yet though and it seems to be still finding it's footing. "Mijo" was a good episode but it felt like the script was a bit too short so they had to stretch out what little they had. The second half in particular felt kind of aimless.

I've got hopes for this show but I feel it would be better if they tried to distance itself a little more from BB. Try to make it more of it's own thing, rather than just more of the same.
    Last edited by LukeMM95; 02-17-2015 at 12:32 AM.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The second episode was just as great as the first, especially loved the negotiation scene and the restaurant scene. Now that this Nacho individual has been introduced, I'm expecting bigger storylines and more character development for Saul. Lots of different things that need more expanding, Chuck's condition, those other lawyers and their connection to Saul, Betsy and Graig Kettleman, Mike, those two skater boys (they probably won't forget Saul easily)... This'll definitely be interesting for at least the two seasons.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...salamanca.html

Pretty cool interview with Raymond Cruz on his real life inspiration for Tuco
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

yeah i hated pretty much all of the tuco stuff, and particularly this. it made no sense. i mean, i get that they were trying to show him coming into his own as a lawyer, but tuco had no reason to even listen to him in that moment and it didn't ring true to me at all. plus the way that the tuco storyline came into play was just ridiculous. a car that looks nearly identical to the one they're looking for happens to pass exactly where that car was going to pass mere minutes later? and then the driver of that car happens to try to run away, the twins happen to find and grab on to (this is not a thing that actually happens, btw) some truck that happens to follow right behind the woman for who knows how many miles. then she happens to be related to tuco and jimmy happens to track them down even though he only had a neighborhood/town name to go on, etc etc. that sequence was like breaking bad finale levels of dumb

the rest wasn't bad, though

Blog Entries

Also I was watching that scene again and I don't know whether it's because there is so much dialogue, that it was hard to for the director to maintain a sense of natural tension, but there were several beats to the desert scene that just felt kind of cheesy. Like when Tuco approaches Jimmy all intimidating-like and rolls up his sleeves, only to shake hands. I don't know if it was the scoring or what, but it didn't seem to make sense because obviously they're playing that up for the audience to squirm in their seat, but once you know it's for a handshake, it just felt like they were drawing things out. Also Nacho freeing Jimmy and announcing his name like he's a survivor contestant just felt a bit eh. It was just little beats like these that were just adding up.

Also the "punking" line and holding the gun on Jimmy in the garage was a bit hokey. Obviously people can maintain the same vocabulary 6 years apart but we all know that was more than just staying true to the character. I'm trying to chalk this all up to "it's just a new style for the show that will grow on us" but for now I'm just going to say we got some iffy story beats. Other than that everything has been really solid.

And while I agree that skitching on cars is more of a video games thing than what actual skateboarders freely tend to do, I still don't really have a problem with that. One thing I liked about the twins is that they tread on this mock-human characterization, so the moment they decide to be all showy with what they can do on a board, only for them to be pulled into Tuco's underworld, is really funny to me. Also the fact that it was such a coincidence that it was Tuco's place, still gets a free pass from me. I think if you're going to have a coincidence like that, it better be in the pilot. It's 6 years apart and you can start the show at any point so to choose to springboard a series on a coincidence (which does happen in life), feels the most appropriate time to springboard a coincidence on the series.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Yeah some of the writing is a little cheesy at this point (the tuco stuff in particular was hit and miss imo). But im still sure as hell excited to see how this series plays out. Even if it is quite a bit goofier and lighter than breaking bad, itll be a ride regardless.

I think once you get past the fact that this show is completely its own thing and accept that the tone, style, and writing of the show is pretty different than breaking bad it becomes easier to enjoy it. Its a good show in its own right, but coming off the dark and polorizing season 5b of breaking bad to this semi goofy lawyer dark comedy series is kind of jarring. If anything like breaking bad this series so far feels like season 1 of breaking bad. Which isnt a bad thing, but yeah its pretty different than what a lot of us are used to.

I still pretty much disagree with most of you saying this is "breaking bad season 0". To me it only vageuly feels like breaking bad (season one of it) and even so, it still feels like im watching a completely different and almost unrelated series. It almost caches me off guard at times when I remember that this is in fact a prequel including some bb characters because otherwise it doesnt feel the same. Which could be a very good thing imo.
    Last edited by Swoony; 02-14-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

That said, No-Dose's line reading of "that one right there homes, he already got a black eye, fool" and the way he looks around the desert for a reaction, makes me laugh every time I've seen it.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New episode is on!

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Slow burning episode. I liked the interaction between Saul and Mike. Otherwise, this was all exposition AKA "THE BUILD-UP". Decent to okay episode, the ending was pretty cool and clever. Saul is seems to be becoming more confident in himself.

Blog Entries

great episode but ugh I wish I didn't see that upcoming episode preview. took the wind out of the cliffhanger's sails a bit.

did LOVE mike coming to jimmy's side. he is the best

Blog Entries

This one started out slow but nicely picked up pace as it moved along. Unlike the previous two episodes, I don't think this one dragged nearly as much. I was a lot more invested in what's going on and it's mostly due to the mystery element of the story. I'm a fan of detective/mystery stories (especially those with a nice amount of noir) so this episode felt right at home with me. Saul/Jimmy makes for a good hard-boiled protagonist and unlike Walt where we're mostly wondering what he's going to do next, with Saul it's kind of like we're inside his head, experiencing everything alongside him. Can't wait for next weeks episode.

Also, I love this line: "Pack up your stuff, bury your scat because we're heading back. Civilisation awaits."

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

finally seen them all!!! was sort of torture to have to go through a week of everyone having seen it and discussing it around me (whilst trying to not listen to avoid any possible spoilers) and being unable to.

anyway! yeah, I really love this. each episode was better than the last and the third episode has definitely cemented this as its own show.
    the first episode was fun and served as a solid pilot. the second was also great but I agree that some of the Tuco scenes were kind of off and felt too Br Ba heavy because of it.
    the third, however, was brilliant and was when everything clicked for me. it truly became its own show during that episode. odenkirk is excellent too and comfortably holds the show up on his role alone.
    Mike is used well because his appearances are rare and have few lines, which is good. I didn't want them to force him in too much. obviously his role will grow with the show but they involved him well at the beginning.
    cinematography is excellent and so is pacing/plot, though I wouldn't expect less from gilligan and co.

good stuff, and I'm looking forward to more.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

Just watched "Nacho" a couple of hours ago because I was at the Rangers/Islanders game on Monday.

And wow! Breaking Bad who? I was feeling iffy about the second episode (mostly for self-contained reasons) but this third episode has not only reassured that self-contained criticism, but this was so much fucking fun. Up until now Chuck has been the stand-out new character and I'm so glad the writers were smart enough to not show another somber scene of him loafing around in his candle-lit house, but instead we get to see him when he was at the top of his game.

What really makes me happy though is now Kim has proven to be more of a stand-out character as well. I was kind of worried that she was going to end up being a female version of Henry "let the big kids handle this" Hamlin, but the establishment of her history with Jimmy and just that first phone call conversation showed she's not particularly that same person. She's no-nonsense but she's willing to listen and I like that he can talk to her. I really sympathize with Kim, especially when she showed concern for Jimmy's well-being.

The magic of this episode though was how Jimmy was just thrown into this strange dance with EVERYBODY. I mean between the cop duo, Kim, Nacho, MIKE, the Kettlemans, and overall the flashback of Jimmy promising Chuck he would stay out of this type of trouble....All of this was initiated through an act of conscience rather than him actually trying to gain anything from it, yet the ending with the stolen money falling to the floor was just a perfect period to the hour. It's a beautifully well-handled episode IMO and it's the first episode (besides the pilot being good) that has really got me excited.

Oh man I love how adorably lame that suburban family was. Especially with the hint from the scene in the tent that the kids are self-aware and just go along with it. Probably the same goes for their answering machine. Saul popping in the tent had me and my friend dying.

Finally Mike was awesome here. I'm impressed with how they have been handling him. Just a little at a time but clearly he's going to be important as the show continues.

Anyway as expected, not your conventional crime drama and that's what I love. Can't wait for episode 4. By the way, anyone know how many episodes are in this season?
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 02-18-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Better Call Saul is officially better than Walking Dead

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

By the way, anyone know how many episodes are in this season?
    10 for Season 1, yet apparently 13 for Season 2!

Blog Entries

Yes, the third episode, very solid. Glad to see more Mike but it felt really random how he got dragged into this. Excited to see more, nevertheless.

Blog Entries

I came across this very real, insightful interview. You can see Odenkirk's really exhausted with all the promotion he has been swept up in, but this interview feels much more loose and relaxed, allowing him to give some really in-depth answers about the show and his role.

Blog Entries

Another great episode the fourth one. Loved Saul's billboard ad and the scene where it was being removed. The ending with Chuck was excellent, he's slowly becoming an interesting character.

This has been very consistent for the 4 episodes, I'd give 9/10 to all or them.

Blog Entries

shit's gonna go down with chuck next week

I like that saul goodman came naturally out of the "slippin' jimmy" days

Hired Goon

Another great ep. Man, they're really swinging for the fences with this show so far. The publicity stunt with the billboard was so great, and I liked how it bookended with the flashback at the beginning (wasn't the billboard guy the same fat guy from the alley in the flashback?). Chuck running across the street to grab the newspaper was funny and sad at the same time. I feel for the guy even if his condition is completely made-up. I really want to see where his character goes.

Thread Information