Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Better Call Saul

the breaking bad spin-off premieres tonight

I hear it's gonna be pretty good. you guys excited?
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

It hits Netflix UK on February 9th, which coincides with the end of my Breaking Bad rewatch. So that is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very excited. I've heard nothing but positive reviews. I, too, am currently rewatching Breaking Bad, so I'm definitely "in the mood" for this.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I AM DOWN TO CLOWN W/ THIS AND BETTER SEE YOU NERDS IN THE REVIEW THREAD TONITE

Banned
    Blog Entries

In how many hours from now will it start? (Then i'll know when to check some streaming sites.)

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I'm honestly skeptical about this. Mainly because it's a spin-off and spin-off shows tend to either be good or bad and the trailer for this show has been giving me mixed feelings. Especially since it's a Breaking Bad spin-off which is one of my favorite shows of all-time and it just feels like that show shouldn't be tampered with. Granted I won't be catching it tonight anyways because it's on around the same time as The Simpsons and doesn't end till 8:15, so yeah I'm probably going to catch a re-run of it or something because I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm just really skeptical about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

I'm not entering into this with any expectation that it should emulate Breaking Bad whatsoever. I just want it to hold it's own as it's own show. I'm glad it's shot in New Mexico and has essentially the same writers/directors (It reminds me of how The Sopranos ended and Mad Men immediately began with like 10 of their writers/directors), so hopefully there's a pattern in terms of success. I'm really looking forward to seeing the fresh perspective they could bring to an already existing universe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I'm honestly skeptical about this. Mainly because it's a spin-off and spin-off shows tend to either be good or bad and the trailer for this show has been giving me mixed feelings. Especially since it's a Breaking Bad spin-off which is one of my favorite shows of all-time and it just feels like that show shouldn't be tampered with. Granted I won't be catching it tonight anyways because it's on around the same time as The Simpsons and doesn't end till 8:15, so yeah I'm probably going to catch a re-run of it or something because I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm just really skeptical about it.
    lmao only this forum would someone rather watch an insanely tired 30 year old show that they don't like over a new spin-off to one of da best dramas evar

Blog Entries

And there's no tampering going on. Breaking Bad is still Breaking Bad.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Swoony

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I just meant that a spin-off to Breaking Bad feels unnecessary and judging from the praise it's getting, I'm worried that it's being overhyped. I won't be surprised if it does turn out to be great though, but I'm not letting my expectations for it get too high.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    And there's no tampering going on. Breaking Bad is still Breaking Bad.
    I was gonna say that. Breaking Bad will always be what it was, nothing will change it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I just meant that a spin-off to Breaking Bad feels unnecessary and judging from the praise it's getting, I'm worried that it's being overhyped. I won't be surprised if it does turn out to be great though, but I'm not letting my expectations for it get too high.
    I dont think anyone here is letting their expectations get high though. Breaking Bad uber fans are going to be the ones who will hype it and ultimately be disappointed when it turns out not to be Breaking Bad 2.0. I mean I can see that coming from a mile away but I'm pretty certain Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould are well aware they're tackling something that should be handled with caution. And like I said, critics who share our skepticism have said the first 3 episodes do some wonderful things to ease the concern. Obviously we have to see it for ourselves, but reading that stuff makes me feel better.

I think tonight and tomorrow is going to be fun. I'll let my criticism come as it comes.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

The first episode was pretty stellar. It was the most unlike Breaking Bad it could've been and I loved it because of that. The cinematography was amazing, I forgot how good it was in BB. Aside from that, the opening was a really cool basis for the entire show being Saul's reminiscing and musing on his past. Being introduced to Saul fighting so hard to gain an advantage or make a stake was also effective - a very good beginning for a character we know is so slimy. There's still a few dangling threads I didn't fully understand like Saul talking to the lady in the parking garage and most of the situation with Chuck. Overall, a great pilot episode. It stands on its own very well and Bob Odenkirk gave an excellent performance.

EDIT: THAAAAT ENDING, HOLY SHIIIIIT
    Last edited by Xaiv; 02-08-2015 at 08:08 PM.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

great stuff

Hired Goon

Really solid pilot. A bit of a slow burn, and with some unexplained stuff, but it's clear they have a lot of things to set up that will pay off later. Odenkirk's performance was great. I love how he can just switch to an upbeat personality on a dime the minute he's in front of people, and then the minute he's alone, start flipping out and kicking the shit out of a trash can to vent his anger. Seeing Mike back was great too! I'm really looking forward to seeing what his part in this show will be.

During the cold open when Saul was flipping through TV, was anyone else expecting him to see a newscast talking about the aftermath of the Breaking Bad finale? I'm glad they didn't do that, though.

Holy shit. Was NOT expecting Tuco to show up! This is gonna be sweet. Can't wait for tomorrow's ep. 

Blog Entries

Jesus christ that opening was depressing as shit. I dunno. Saul here just reminded me of walt at the beginning of breaking bad. Working a dead end job and sort of just checking off the days as they pass. Love the black and white too. Poor Saul.

The rest was pretty a pretty basic intro to the characters and setting. Not too much goes on but it has a good flow and there is a lot of potential here. Love the subtle callbacks to stuff in breaking bad (diner skyler and hank argued in, that salon place where saul and jesse met to discuss insurance fraud, even the dent in the trash can was a nice touch to walts freakout early on in the series). Love how unfanservicy it was, and concidering how easy it is for them to go down that route, props to them for not bombarding us with "ohhh look remember breaking bad!" Crap and letting this be its on show.

The ending was fucking unexpected and im super excited for the next episode. Thats all I gotta say.

Edit: @Steve I was actually expecting a news thing on walt on the tv too but im glad they didnt go down that route. Would have put too much focus on the bb universe and not really fit in the show. Thats not to say I wouldnt have lost my shit if that happened, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

I'm loving it so far.

I thought the cold open was a brilliantly directed little treat which shows just enough of his life post-BB. Who would have thought "running a cinnabon in Omaha" was something Saul already had planned out when he mentioned it in "Granite State".

And I loved his intro into the show by not revealing his face so much. That scene with him preparing his speech in the men's room and the use of shadows across the urinals was very cool. The cinematography throughout was right on the money which felt just as organic as it was in BB but with it's own fresh style.

I like Chuck so far. I was kind of struggling with the story a bit (which I'm glad it's not dumbing itself down) but in the broad strokes, I understand that money is important and Saul really cares for Chuck. This seems to be the driving force so far. The heart behind the quirky adventure. I understand the firm is trying to squeeze Chuck out due to the possibility he won't beat his illness (was it mentioned?) but I feel like I need to rewatch to get a better grasp on the details of stuff. I think the spoon-feeding of Saul's conflict makes him a much more complex character than we're used to seeing. Bob Odenkirk is doing a fantastic job in carrying himself as the lead role.

I loved the anticipation of the pre-planned accident. That was a lot of fun. When the hit and run occurred, I totally lost it. And the ending with Tuco. Wow. I'm really excited for tomorrow.

Also I liked the court room scene a lot. I love how the three guys were sitting there as if we should sympathize with the "boys will be boys" defense that Saul would give, until it ended up being so much more dark and twisted when they play the tape.

The opening sequence was really cool too. I can't wait to see it again.

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was excellent. I'd suspect that a person who hasn't seen BB wouldn't enjoy it as much as the rest, but that doesn't make it any less of a quality pilot.

Blog Entries

Yeah a person on my facebook feed said "better call saul looks stupid. just give me talking dead."

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

imo a talk show about an overrated oversaturated zombie show is a million times better than this SICK BB spin-off

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cinematography and music were amazing, really gave me that kinda feeling of third season BB. But thankfully it's clearly being it's own show, not fanservicy. Ending was so unexpected, in a good way. I was afraid it might be a slow burner since that what it seemed from the teasers, but was quite thrilling right from the start and gave a few laughs.

Hired Goon

The only way that entire car is worth $500 is if there's a $300 hooker sitting in it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    During the cold open when Saul was flipping through TV, was anyone else expecting him to see a newscast talking about the aftermath of the Breaking Bad finale? I'm glad they didn't do that, though.
    yeah I was also expecting this, but these writers are smart enough to go in an entirely different, more character-focused direction

the cold open was brilliantly done in that it immediately gave the audience what they really want (what happens to saul after BB) , shot and edited extremely close to the style of the original show... and then start telling the story which is similar to breaking bad's pilot. it's a bit more muddier than the former, but keep in mind AMC isn't exactly looking for a one-shot for the first part like they were with the original breaking bad (which is very self-contained and simple, just ending with an insatiable cliffhanger) so I'm sure gilligan and gould are fine letting some pieces of the puzzle be solved later on throughout the season. (i.e. exactly what's going on with chuck, saul's relationship with the other attorney, mike)

of course the entire final ten minutes rev things up and deliver one surprise after another, and of course leading to the big cliffhanger which is nicely on par with the former series' "oh shit" moments. so we're presented with a different story, still compelling with a great, funny enigmatic (but sympathetic oddly enough) character at the center in a similar way that breaking bad did its thing. smart, engaging and just overall extremely entertaining.

it's not breaking bad but I wasn't expecting that and came out more than delighted. honestly I'm shocked with that amazing of a cliffhanger they didn't just let people wait a week but it's a great hook to get some to watch it tomorrow and make it appointment viewing.

in short: vince gilligan continues to produce exciting and smart television. it's a treat to have this kind of stuff back again

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

Blog Entries

The music was spot-fucking-on. The entire pilot episode was like it was trying to tell us it was gonna be nothing like BB but still told us it would have familiar elements like the crazy fucking cliffhangers. Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould should teach a writing class because they're fucking pros at it.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was merely ok and I actually think it relied a bit too much on Breaking Bad nods, but I guess it will get better as it unfolds.

The cold opening has good cinematography and Saul kicking the trash can also looked nice. The trial at the start was also kind of enjoyable although a but over the top.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So glad UK Netflix gets this only one day over the US. The pilot was pretty great as most people have said. Can't wait to see what's next, especially how Mike gets involved with Saul. Also I'm surprised they did what they did for the ending so soon after BB but it was a great cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    I actually think it relied a bit too much on Breaking Bad nods
    Were there really that many? I sure didn't notice much. I'm surprised how much it didn't rely on BB, and is clearly a totally seperate thing.

Blog Entries

Yeah I didn't find that they were relying on nods at all. It all feels pretty natural so far.

Blog Entries

I want a space blanket.

The court case scene was spot on, I actually felt like I was sitting in the court room. The awkward silence only broken by the rocking of a chair or a small cough. They are masters of this.

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: /\/\ ( ) )

Blog Entries

this is literally just like watching breaking bad again, in the best way possible

love it, can't wait for more of it

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: /\/\ ( ) )

Thread Information