6 6.45%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

19 20.43%
  • 2/5 *is run over by a tesla car*

20 21.51%
  • 1/5 elon musk should invent a better episode

43 46.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "The Musk Who Fell To Earth" (TABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Alright, so I wasn't expecting this episode to be good, but I thought it would be at least passable. I mean the plot sounded boring, but I thought they could've at least made it work. I mean the promos showed no indication that it was going to be terrible and I thought this episode would at least deliver something. So when I saw the negative reviews for this episode early on in this thread I lowered my expectations for it, but then when it started I was like "Wow, this is actually funny. Maybe this episodes going to be good after all." Those two minutes with Homer trying to catch the bald eagle had me laughing my ass off, but unfortunately this episode goes the same way as The Man Who Grew Too Much did with the Taco Tuesday scene by not making injecting little to no humor for the rest of the episode. Except this episode does it much worse.

Now the moment this episode falls apart is when Elon Musk crashes his spaceship in The Simpsons' backyard out of fucking nowhere. The main problem with this episode is the writing. The plot of this episode goes absolutely nowhere. It's just two minutes of something, two minutes of something else, two minutes of another thing, etc. It actually feels like it was written by a person who was just learning how to write instead of an actual professional writer and that's just sad. Another problem I had with this episode was Elon Musk himself. My god, he showed NO emotion or interest in his line-reading at all. He was just so monotone and lifeless and I actually have a feeling that he actually didn't like the script, but still kept going with it probably just for money. Even Lady Gaga's role in Lisa Goes Gaga showed more emotion than Elon Musk did in this entire fucking episode. Also the writers of this episode basically kiss Elon Musk's ass which means it's another one of those kind of episodes. Now these episodes don't tend to be a big problem for me if they are funny which is why I look upon A Midsummers Nice Dream and When You Dish Upon a star very favorably and think that Beyond Blunderdome is an OK episode. I mean the fact that those episodes are based on guest stars are kind of annoying, but at least those episodes had jokes surrounding it, which makes it less of a problem for me. Here though, the majority of the jokes after the first two minutes are incredibly forced. Besides the jokes that were already in the promos, the only joke I found funny in this entire episode was the lightsaber joke and that was at the end of the episode. I was just bored during most of this episode due to how unfunny it was. I'm not even going to go on about the plot about this episode or anything else because this episode and This Little Piggy just sucked the life out of me.

While this episode is not worse than Lisa Goes Gaga, it's still pretty damn terrible. The constant praising of this guy is really annoying and his guest star appearance was so bad that it nearly makes Lady Gaga's guest star appearance look good because even she showed more emotion in her role than he did. I'm going to give this episode a 2/10 as a testament to how funny the first two minutes were, but if it wasn't for those minutes then this episode would be a 1/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

So um...what in the world was that? I get that it was a bad "ass-kissing" episode, which is what I was expecting from the get-go, but I wasn't expecting the plot to be so disjointed, if this episode even had a plot.

There were a few brief moments that made me laugh, like Homer's toupee, Willie powering the school, and Raisin-Detra, but most of all, it was boring, it was a bit ass-kissey (Sorry Al Jean, but Musk was more or less treated like a deity in that episode), and it made no sense whatsoever. It didn't really seem like Elon Musk's emotionless voice acting was on purpose either, even if they tried to play it off like it was.

I also have to agree with those who say they didn't know what was going on at some points, because I genuinely felt that way (I was probably not paying perfect attention, but that shouldn't matter too much), and I don't usually feel that way about Simpsons episodes. It's not exactly the show I would expect that from but this episode had me lost. I'm just not sure what they were going for at all in that episode. The Kang and Kodos episode was extremely weird too, but at least it had a plot you could follow.

And yes, what was the point of showing Bart driving the car? Just to reveal Elon Musk's password? That didn't seem worth it.

Count me in as another 2/10 voter.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 01-26-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Usually, the quality of episodes is based on my behavior. When I'm behaving myself, the next current show is good.
    When I'm acting like a stinker, everybody suffers. (sorry 'bout that)
    This was a far better episode than I deserved. ... and yet they made it for me anyways?
    - That was nice!

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was horrible. Lady Gaga arrives to Springfield with his magic spaceship and hilarious "definitely not ass-kissing" jokes about his unfunny inventions begin. Then Burns comes and says one funny line, and were back to normal with random jokes about how he's weak and cold-hearted. Oh, and Homer becomes friends with Gaga, oh so emotional. More wacky jokes about Gaga's inventions, screw the plot. Gaga leaves with a magic spaceship, random Star Trek and Tapped Out references, Gaga starts crying and the episode ends.

What is this? How is this an episode? This didn't follow any of the basic rules on how to make a coherent plot. This had no other jokes than "Gaga is a magical inventor" or "Gaga's inventions are the best".

This is a strong contender for the worst episode ever. 1/5. Never again a guest star who appears for more than 1 second. Justin Bieber's cameo is the best. Beyond Blunderdome is a good episode. Moe Goes from Rags to Riches is a good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by The Monorail View Post
    Also, it didn't seem that kiss-ass, maybe Jean didn't lie on Twitter after all (the worst kind of lying). (my thoughts after the first 2 clips)
    Why are you a liar, Al?
    Last edited by The Monorail; 01-26-2015 at 01:56 AM.

I would have liked this more if lines like "wow! It's Elon Musk" weren't used 3/5

Junior Camper

This is the second episode of The Shitsons that I'll never watch and you could be as happy as I am if you stop watching these dreadful travesties too! Judging by the votes on here, a lot of people would be wise to follow my lead.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Decent episode, solid script wasted on a bad guest star. It would have been improved had they cut off the notion of getting someone and went with making their own, internal guest character, a Grimes or, kinda, a Scorpio, type.
    Nice to see Neil Campbell's name as the credited writer, his improv is awful funny and as head writer for Comedy Bang Bang the TV show he's really got a flair for the insanely creative.
    But Musk's performance and the quasi-side-stepping of him being a monster within the story so as not to perhaps make him seem too evil means the story has little bite and washes up early.

Blog Entries

This was the worst episode I've seen since Lisa Goes Gaga, and the two ain't that much different either. The whole episode did the one thing that I just really hate, ass-kissing a celebrity. I usually like that there's no intro or couch gag, but in this case they might aswell have made one as the extra time certainly didn't help at all.

Even before Musk appeared the episode started out bad, with an eagle eating Lisa's birds which one of their carcass fell on Lisa's head (atleast her reaction felt somewhat real), ending up capturing the eagle and set him free.... only to get killed by our arriving ass-kissing celebrity. Who just came out of the sky with whatever spaceship he made. What can I say about the rest of the episode? We got Lisa drooling all over Elon Musk, which is somewhat to be expected as he is a scientist and all. We got Homer giving him some stupid brainstorm idea's. We got Mr Burns who I didn't really pay much attention at at that point. And now for the 3rd time they featured Tapped Out, which can apparently be played in space without an internet connection (could be possible, I dunno, I don't work in space.... yet).

Its a shame that after a lot of good episodes that came before it, we eventually got to have a bad episode again. Episodes where they ass-kiss a celebrity will never be good. Speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by Al Jean View Post
    Elon Musk in ep 1/11 and not a "kiss ass" celebrity guest star turn
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What would've redeemed this episode was instead of Musk going into space, his ship should have malfunctioned and came crashing down onto Lady Gaga's train and they both die in a fiery explosion. Cut to Homer reading the newspaper and he says: "Why does every famous person who meets us die in a fiery explosion ten minutes after leaving?".

Blog Entries

"This episode just kissed Elon Musk's ass!"

Actually, that wasn't this episode's biggest problem. Its an easy criticism to make, but really an episode of The Simpsons can be as respectful or disrespectful to its celebrity guests as it wants - that does not heavily impact whether or not an episode is good. The things that made this episode bad - a weak story with points that made no sense, a lack of funny or memorable lines, an over-reliance on recognisable characters and conventions, a lack of originality - are things present, to varying degrees, in all modern Simpsons episodes. The fact that they were especially present in this episode is unrelated to Musk's presence. The only problem in this episode unique to its inclusion of Musk, was that he isn't a strong comedic presence or a good voice-actor. The show electing to create an entire episode about him demonstrates a severe lack of foresight in this regard. Having a weak central character is problematic to any piece of fiction, and to any Simpsons episode - remember "The Lastest Gun in the West"? But given that Musk is a billionaire inventor and space travel pioneer, one would think that The Simpsons - a cartoon show with a penchant for stretching reality, would have been able to come up with something a little more interesting than this. Instead of an inventive episode riffing off science-fiction, we got a bunch of disparate ideas - none of which were particularly well fleshed-out, and an episode that was, above all else, dull, unmemorable, and wholly unspectacular. There was his relationship with Lisa, his use of Homer for ideas, his partnership/rivalry with Burns that contrasted his (supposed) social consciousness and Burn's heartless lust for money, Springfield entering a depression... One or two of these would have been enough. If a little more effort had gone into developing some of these ideas into something interesting, original and funny, it could have been a decent episode - even given Musk's less-than-electrifying screen presence. A lack of effort and focus meant this was just another forgettable HD outing. 3/10
    Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps, 3/10; The Wreck of the Relationship, 5/10; Super Franchise Me, 5/10; Treehouse of Horror XXV, 7/10; Opposites A-Frack, 6/10; Simpsorama, 7/10; Blazed and Confused, 7/10; Covercraft, 5/10; I Won't Be Home for Christmas, 8/10; The Man Who Came To Be Dinner, 7/10; Bart's New Friend, 5/10; The Musk Who Fell to Earth, 3/10;

I Review Every Episode In No Particular Order
    Twitter | YouTube

They skip the intro so they can have a short story about an eagle in the backyard causing trouble, capturing the eagle, then releasing the eagle in the same backyard? Huh?
    A whole episode of kissing up to Elon Musk and forgetting to include jokes. It was also a bad idea to pick a celebrity with little voice acting ability for the focus of a whole episode.

Edit: Actually I want to be a bit more nitpicky.

• Homer says "Marge, preheat the oven!", then it shows us Marge closing the oven door and a zoom-in on the dial. Is there a joke here? What's up that zoom in? Pointless.
    • Carl's tweening when he's dancing. It's hard to imagine people reviewed this and thought "yes, that's great, that'll do".
    • "Oh, right, that's a trapdoor." If the trapdoor joke wasn't funny, saying what it literally is doesn't save it.
    Last edited by Mr. Krikt; 01-26-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Tyrant: bit Billie Eilish! D DEBBS's Avatar

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Take last night's episode
    2) Insert last night's episode inside a Tesla
    3) Wait for Tesla to catch fire (as reported on the news)
    4) Celebrate, then carry on as if nothing has happened

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brokenbox View Post
    Because it costs money to build them?
    Yes, but the Nissan Leaf, which is a comparable electric car starts at around 30k, and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV starts at 25k or so. If Tesla was really aiming to make the car of the future, they would do without the full leather interior, 18 inch touch screen, electronic glovebox, and all those other useless features.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

This may be worth sharing, ''Elon Musk Explains Why Lisa Simpson Is Wrong'':

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/elo...77&id=28485590

Blog Entries

After seeing all of the dismal episode reviews, I came into this episode hoping that it would be at least halfway decent, that most were exaggerating or something. Boy, was I wrong. First of all, let's examine all the moments I thought were funny/interesting:

*The beginning of the eagle scene, with the eagle eating the smaller birds, was slightly amusing, but nothing special.
    *Learning that Bart named Maggie was an interesting tidbit of information.
    *Abe getting shocked by the car was probably the funniest moment in the entire episode.
    *Musk playing Tapped Out was a fun reference.

Second of all, let's examine the episode's guest star. Elon Musk is someone who you wouldn't have even known if he wasn't in this episode, but the writers (and everyone in Springfield for that matter) seem to think otherwise. The way of putting him in the episode via spaceship was just ridiculous. I mean, what are the chances of Musk landing in the Simpsons' backyard? Also, Musk seems to have put almost no effort into his voice acting; in most scenes, the tone of his voice doesn't change in the slightest. This makes the scene where he's in the rocket getting "emotional" painful to watch, and not in a good way. I don't think Musk could churn out inventions in mere minutes, either, as the episode shows in the ending scene.
    Third and last of all, let's examine the plot. The first act with the eagle is enough to get me through the beginning due to some of the moments mentioned above, but sadly, that doesn't last. The remainder of the episode is just a big kiss-up to Musk, and it's not enjoyable in the slightest. The writers make out like Musk is so talented, he can churn out inventions every couple of minutes; it's ridiculous and really far-fetched. Also, you'd think Musk would eventually realise that he's not good for Springfield, but he seems oblivious to the entire depression crisis. No-one tries to kick him out, either, which makes zero sense, considering what Springfield did to the Simpsons in the The Simpsons Movie. Also, Burns' "evil" plot would actually save countless jobs and Springfield's economy, which no-one but Burns seems to realise, even if it isn't something he's aiming for at all. I see I wasn't the only one who hoped that when Musk came back down, the spaceship would explode.

The Verdict:
    With a plot full of useless filler, The Musk Who Fell To Earth is a prime example of how NOT to utilise a guest star in an animated sitcom. Boring, unfunny, and just plain stupid, this episode qualifies as the worst of the season, even worse than the abysmal season-opener Clown in the Dumps. It gets a 1/10 at the most, which chalks it up to a solid F. Send Musk to space, and let's hope he never comes back.
    Last edited by pax; 01-29-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

So, Moe died in Palm Springs?!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cactus View Post
    "This episode just kissed Elon Musk's ass!"

Actually, that wasn't this episode's biggest problem. Its an easy criticism to make, but really an episode of The Simpsons can be as respectful or disrespectful to its celebrity guests as it wants - that does not heavily impact whether or not an episode is good. The things that made this episode bad - a weak story with points that made no sense, a lack of funny or memorable lines, an over-reliance on recognisable characters and conventions, a lack of originality - are things present, to varying degrees, in all modern Simpsons episodes. The fact that they were especially present in this episode is unrelated to Musk's presence. The only problem in this episode unique to its inclusion of Musk, was that he isn't a strong comedic presence or a good voice-actor. The show electing to create an entire episode about him demonstrates a severe lack of foresight in this regard. Having a weak central character is problematic to any piece of fiction, and to any Simpsons episode - remember "The Lastest Gun in the West"? But given that Musk is a billionaire inventor and space travel pioneer, one would think that The Simpsons - a cartoon show with a penchant for stretching reality, would have been able to come up with something a little more interesting than this. Instead of an inventive episode riffing off science-fiction, we got a bunch of disparate ideas - none of which were particularly well fleshed-out, and an episode that was, above all else, dull, unmemorable, and wholly unspectacular. There was his relationship with Lisa, his use of Homer for ideas, his partnership/rivalry with Burns that contrasted his (supposed) social consciousness and Burn's heartless lust for money, Springfield entering a depression... One or two of these would have been enough. If a little more effort had gone into developing some of these ideas into something interesting, original and funny, it could have been a decent episode - even given Musk's less-than-electrifying screen presence. A lack of effort and focus meant this was just another forgettable HD outing. 3/10
    Agree with all this, I'd just add Burns' characterisation was decent at points.

A generous 2/5, 3/10, D-

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Musk's rocket didn't leave any scorch marks on the grass.

Homer thinks the person who put wheels on luggage is a greater inventor than Thomas Edison.
    Speaking of factual inadequacies, the song 'Blues in the night', used here to represent the great depression, was not composed, published, or released until 1941, 5 years after the end of the depression.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Musk Who Fell To Earth 1/10

+/- The intro is extremely short. This is either a sign of the writers actually caring about writing the episode... or it just means there will be a lot of drawn-out yawner gags.
    + Homer has a head mask which he puts on to restore his hair.
    - My problem is not Homer's eye popping out. It's him putting it back in by breathing through his nose. What the fuck?
    # "Perfect! Just like when we let you name Maggie." Damn. Dark.
    --/+ The eagle opening was some terrible filler right there. It will predictably have nothing at all to do with anything else of the episode and the only time I smiled was when it got burned up by a rocket.
    --- A space ship out of no-fucking-where with guest-star-of-the-week Elon Musk in it. The Man Who Came To Be Dinner was fine, since it was a experimental episode, but now we have a goddamn guest star right from space who just happens to land right in the Simpsons' backyard??!! I wish I was dreaming this up, but really, I'm not.
    - Al Jean promised they wouldn't kiss Musk's ass, but they've now already had two people praising him before he even has gotten into the house.
    ---/+ Elon's eyes are almost corpse-like and every time he talks he sounds like a programmed robot built to speak lines in the most montone voice possible. This is almost cracking me up because of how terrible he sounds.
    - How could he know exactly how stupid Homer is from just having met him in... I don't know, not more than half an hour? Seems very judgmental on his part.
    +/- Elon overreacting on how dry on ideas he is makes me roll my eyes, but I smiled at Lisa being covered in lots of crumpled paper.
    + "Throw something at me." Homer throws paper at him.
    +/- We have a good joke with Chief Wiggum getting scared when Lou does the same to him, but Lou's voice suddenly changes and sounds very, very off.
    - "Lenny? That's the white one, right?" This joke has been done before.
    - God, I hate the music which is playing whenever Musk is thinking. "Dundundundun-POW! Dundundundun-POW!" It's not that fucking dramatic, so knock it off.
    - Very strange stab at Musk with... little hearts appearing... when he puts on a tune?
    + "He's not as nice as he looks." Burns attempts to "smile".
    -- Okay, now he's getting near damn painful to listen at. I know he's talking about electricity, but I've already forgotten the context!
    + The imaginer joke was stupid, but it was amusing how he mistook a lamp for his wife.
    + Homer said "D'oh!".
    - More of the dramatic music!!!
    -- Aaaaaaawwww... A wonderful friendship... MY ASS!
    -- What did I say? They are in fact licking Elon Musk's damn ass if they have ALL of the people hating Mr. Burns and ALL of the people loving E. Musk.
    # This is so far the only sorta, sorta actual stab at Musk when he states how he doesn't feel like he's ever a failure. Still a very poor attempt at it.
    + "Anybody with that much money has darkness in his soul." "Says you!"
    + Mr. Burns gives Smithers a head start before the dogs chase after him.
    + Kent Brockman speaks to every fan of L'il Rascals, then reports they are all dead. It's so odd that this is the best joke so far even though it only has one plus point.
    +/- Even the Arnie Pye-in-the-sky isn't so funny this time. It goes on for at least ten seconds too much.
    -- "Elon, Elon, you're my guy..." "... since you came down from the sky!" Oh all right, thanks. Thanks for reminding me he came from a fucking spaceship.
    + Bart guesses the password to Elon's car. It's "Elonrulez".
    +/- It's not a bad joke with the powerpoint presentation showing Burns' money flying away, but it's a disgrace to Last Exit To Springfield to use that classic music from there!!!
    + Carl singing makes me chuckle.
    + Sight gag: DEPRESSION MUSEUM - Now more depressed than ever
    + Jesus... Poor, poor abused Smithers!
    + We finally get to Mr. Burns wanting to kill Elon Musk. I doubt this will turn the episode up, but he is well-characterized here in the very least.
    -- Homer hates Elon now because of Dolph throwing a brick at him and now asks for advice from Marge to "break up with him". What is worse, that he got pissed off at him so easily or the lame homo joke?
    - Callback to the joke I already hated the first time around: little hearts showing up with a tune playing.
    ++ Haha, about GODDAMN TIME somebody pointed out Elon's medicre as SHIT voice! I had waited for that in forever.
    --- Fucking spaceship. Elon's motherfucking spaceship shows up again so he can get back home, because he lives in space!?!?!?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!... Hahahahahahaha... Haha... ha... h...
    --/++ Damn it, don't use such a great song on this shitty episode!

Oh my God... How many 1/10 episodes can this show shit out? Okay, they went the route with taking a lesser-known guest star to feature in the episode instead, and they did make fun of him a little... but any jokes about his ego were so tame. It's like they were written by a child! "Hi, I'm Elon! I'm the ruler of the world, you are my slaves! MWAHAHAHAHA!" Really, even by Simpsons standards were the digs at him so lame that they felt lighthearted even. There was mostly people kissing ass, especially Lisa who will now just love about every guest star, no matter who it is. Before, it used to be that the characters in Springfield didn't always like a celebrity and even when they did, he/she could still be treated badly. Remember Elton John from I'm With Cupid? That was hilarious, since they didn't devote the whole episode to him and he gets shoved into a freaking cage! Who will then feel welcome in Springfield after that? And even if they didn't make fun of the guest stars at all, they still (with a few exceptions) made most of the jokes focus on the world of Springfield itself and not on the celebrities. And when a celebrity starred, they also made sure to craft a interesting character who isn't just thought up at two fucking seconds!!! But sorry, I'm getting off trail here.
    Devoid of any honest big laugh (Homer's jab at Musk's dry voice wasn't even that funny, I was just relieved to have it made fun of at all) and with another Mr. Burns loses all his money-plot (which has been recycled a million times), only a ton worse than usual. I also couldn't stand it how they made Lisa adore Musk so much that she even wanted to go to space with him. If that's not ass-kissing, then what else is it?!
    Homer was also very poorly characterized in this episode, he is just a parody of himself right now, and not a good one either.
    Well, this was a horrible way to end the day. Good night, The Simpsons. ... and fuck off.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 01-27-2015 at 01:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Professional Jerk-Ass

I'm sorry but this whole episode fell flat on it's face for me.

The concept I was willing to get behind, but there's so much left unfinished/unsaid that it kind of makes the entire episode pointless.

As someone else pointed out, they'd have been better off creating their own character as a parody of Elon Musk (maybe having him guest voice it), and it could have gone properly. As it was, I felt like they constructed the episode around Elon Musk, rather than the other way around.

I was saddened by this piece and I hope the writers find some way to redeem themselves.

2/5
    M. "...I don't want to be accused of smothering him."
    H. "Yeah, and then we'd get the chair."
    M. "That's not what I meant."
    H. "It is, Marge, admit it."

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snospitmmer SimpEhtson View Post

Oh my God... How many 1/10 episodes can this show shit out?
    How many more episodes till they beat Gunsmoke?

Rhetorical question, folks, don't answer it!

Blog Entries

Rhetorical, eh? Eight!

Blog Entries

I'm gonna answer it anyway, just for shits n giggles

Which seems like mere peanuts for the Simpsons by now

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

An inventor finding inspiration in Homer's "Homerisms" and subsequently butting heads with Burns isn't a horrible premise, but I definitely have to agree with most of you in that this episode really botched the execution.

For starters, celebrity-heavy episodes are never my favorites in The Simpsons. Dish Upon a Star, Blunderdome, and Gaga were all weak-to-bad for me, and even Stark Raving Dad was one of the less-great S3 eps in my eyes (although in its defense, it handled the celebrity thing with some clever inversion and class). There's really no reason they needed to use a real-world celebrity for this role--at most, it should've been a scientist voiced by Musk, rather than Musk itself. That would've at least eliminated the annoying issue of Musk arbitrarily landing his spaceship (??) in Springfield, and Jean and co feeling the need to shower him with praise every minute.

Better yet, not have Musk have a big role in the ep at all--his delivery was distractingly stilted and wooden. Just listen to the moment when he dodges Homer's thrown bat. That's one point I've gotta give to Lady Gaga--at least while she was ruining The Simpsons, she could do decent voice-acting in the process.

On the other hand, the plot of this wasn't quite as inane as it could've been. I moderately enjoyed Burns (who was characterized decently here) feeling betrayed and putting a hit on Musk. Burns and Smithers were definitely the most enjoyable elements of the episode, but even they weren't particularly great. The story just kind of fizzled out at the end without coming to some sort of satisfying conclusion; while it was a little surprising they left the episode with everyone hating Musk, the end of the show really felt like the end of a second of three acts (with everyone at their low point) rather than a complete resolution. Very strange pacing issue.

Homer was one of the biggest issues with the episode. His relationship with Musk was seriously one-note, and seemingly written by someone who had no idea who Homer was. Most of his lines were either goofy, Ralph-like non-sequiturs, or worse, dried up internet memes (???) like Chocolate Rain and "don't taze me, bro." Despite Lisa's implication of the contrary, a "Homerism" isn't silly gibberish, it's well-meaning but flawed logic like "You tried your best and you failed miserably" or "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!" And Musk always finding inspiration in Homer's sudden nonsense was just as much a stretch, considering his inventions were barely related. I get that that was part of the gag, but I just felt like this element of the story could've been much funnier and sharper.

Ultimately, none of it was all that funny. I got a few chuckles from the eagle, Burns/Smithers, and the odd joke here or there, but besides that, it was a very boring episode punctuated by Musk's dull character and voice having a constant presence. The story had moments of interest but quickly petered out, Homer was in bad form, and most gags missed their mark. It's on par with Lisa Goes Gaga ultimately, and both episodes share a lot of the same flaws.

2/5 D
    My Nintendo webcomic,

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Gave it a 4 because I feel that for the last few episodes the show has shown some of the energetic feeling it had back when Scully left, which might be a bad thing to many but it feels better than most modern Simpsons episodes. Also I rate as a HD era 4, not a classic era 4. And I liked the pacing.

Now the episode had serious issues, starting with the guest star randomly falling on the Simpsons backyard and staying there being friends with Homer for no reason. Also they missed a great idea with the whole ePression, It would have been way better if they had used Professor Frink as the character with the invention that fixed everything but let everyone unemployed.

I am surprised at the low rating, I have seen way more boring episodes than this one getting a 4, I guess a lot of people prefer to fall asleep watching a boring episode with everyone acting out of character than some wackiness. At least Burns was evil again.

I wasn't bored while watching it hence the 4/5.
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

Banned

THE SPACESHIP IS BASED ON JAMES IHAS VIDEO FOR HIS SONG TO WHO KNOWS WHERE, WHICH IS A HOMAGE TO THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH,

ALSO WHY DID LSA GET IN THE CAR WITH BART,, THEY DIDNT VEVEN FGO ANYWEHERE/

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Someone has Caps Lock on.

It's @lolcats.

Blog Entries

what if he used shift

Blog Entries

and no it's not lolcats

Blog Entries

What I liked:
    Homer mentioning that Bart named Maggie and her subsequent reaction
    Willie pushing a wheel
    Professor Frink's reaction to the Glayvinator and the raccoon that stole his grief pill
    Carl's depression song
    The Tapped Out thing
    The Homer hologram
    The use of David Bowie's "Starman"

Other than those small bits the rest of this episode was just a dull and stupid ride from start to finish. I don't think it was quite as big an ass-kissing fest as "Lisa Goes Gaga", but it was certainly close. I was actually interested when Smithers started to get suspicious of something, but it ultimately went nowhere other than just having him severely injured. Also, surprised they managed to go into space once again without having some sort of Kang & Kodos or Futurama joke. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    No intro. For a modern episode, that's a good thing. It usually means less time wasting filler.
    Ordinarily that'd be a good thing, but in this case it was clearly just so they could have more time to ride Elon Musk's dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    Jesus, Elon Musk has to be the worst performing guest star on the show ever. He doesn't emote at all and it's clear the simpsons staff didn't even care enough to direct him to actually try and act. Also everything here was unfunny, awkward and cringey. 0/5
    I would have to assume his lack of acting talent is why they included the line where Homer points out his dull voice and that invention he has that eliminates his need for facial expressions.
    How to remaster

Thread Information