Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The Official Season 18 DVD Thread (December 5, 2017)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I got the season 18 DVD for Christmas. So far I've watched about fifteen episodes.

It was really nice to see that the DVDs are back! Sure, the episodes from season 18 were pretty mediocre and there were a few bad ones like "Kill Gil: Volumes I & II" and "The Boys of Bummer", but at least they're more watchable than the recent episodes.
    Last edited by kwijibo; 12-27-2017 at 12:40 PM.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    On the DVD's version of "Springfield Up", is there a screen in the credits for the music & lyrics to "Satan, You're My Lady"?
    I've watched the episode on the DVD and they have the song, "Satan, You're My Lady", before the credits. They even have the opening sequence and the couch gag (which is a repeat "Ice Cream of Margie (with the Light Blue Hair)"'s couch gag) before the actual episode starts.

Quote Originally Posted by kwijibo View Post
    I've watched the episode on the DVD and they have the song, "Satan, You're My Lady", before the credits. They even have the opening sequence and the couch gag (which is a repeat "Ice Cream of Margie (with the Light Blue Hair)"'s couch gag) before the actual episode starts.
    There should also be a screen in the credits giving Matt Warburton credit for writing the lyrics and Dan Castellaneta for writing the music.

(Explanation: The song was cut from the premiere airing, so this screen was cut as well. When the episode was repeated on Fox for the first time, the full version of the episode with the song was aired, but the lyrics/music credit screen was accidentally omitted. It is not known what happened on the third airing, but in US syndication, the screen is present.)
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B-

Blog Entries

So I just saw the deleted scenes. Most of them weren't that great because you know, they were deleted. However, I did like the continuity error gag and wish it had stayed in the actual episode. Also, that commentary by Jean was terrible. You can tell he had nothing interesting to say and he just sounded bored.

I think I like the packaging for this DVD better than seasons 11-17. I do miss the heads on the side tho.

There should also be a screen in the credits giving Matt Warburton credit for writing the lyrics and Dan Castellaneta for writing the music.

(Explanation: The song was cut from the premiere airing, so this screen was cut as well. When the episode was repeated on Fox for the first time, the full version of the episode with the song was aired, but the lyrics/music credit screen was accidentally omitted. It is not known what happened on the third airing, but in US syndication, the screen is present.)
    I'm afraid someone else will answer that. I haven't watched the credits!

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Just a quick questions but in other regions do you get the slip case with the back on or is it different? This is how it looks in the UK with that slip case.

It is a bit fiddly is this but the DVD's are back so that's the main thing

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

That partial slipcover seems really unnecessary. Why not print the back info on a paper slip attached to the back like the earlier seasons?

I could be wrong but I think it's a legal requirement in the UK to have the BBFC age ratings on the cover and the spine. Wouldn't surprise me if it's cheaper to just print that weird half slip for our region than it is to produce the entire box like they did previously?

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    That partial slipcover seems really unnecessary. Why not print the back info on a paper slip attached to the back like the earlier seasons?
    Yeah, it is a bit fiddly to be honest, I'd prefer to just have the card then at least you can put it inside or keep it on the back, it's a bit annoying to get on again once you've taken it off so it's probably best just left off to be honest though it kinda feels bare without that on the back (even though there is an image there), not really my favourite thing but like I say, I'm just so glad they're back.

It's definitely the most popular preference to have the packaging seasons 2 - 10 had anyway with the plastic disc holders inside as opposed to the slip case but this one is much better made that seasons 11 - 17 though for sure, it seems stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by missingno View Post
    I could be wrong but I think it's a legal requirement in the UK to have the BBFC age ratings on the cover and the spine. Wouldn't surprise me if it's cheaper to just print that weird half slip for our region than it is to produce the entire box like they did previously?
    Maybe, considering they were worried about sales they probably thought this was a good idea, which makes sense I guess. I know that the DVD's were doing pretty well on Amazon pre orders in the UK around mid December it was 38 in box sets, 39 in TV and 40 in comedy which is pretty good, hopefully more were pre ordered after this with more copies sold after release too, either way that's pretty good and it's not only Amazon where it's been on sale.

I haven't bought S18 yet, but from memory when I saw it in stores that it does NOT have the additional slip/J-card that the UK version has, and has the Aussie rating logo printed directly onto the cover.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Thanks, yeah I think the UK are the only one's who have this, or maybe Europe in general but it is a bit of a pain really, it's just really fiddly to get back on as you have to have the DVD exactly straight for it to fit and slip back on again which isn't the greatest of things, that said, it's just great to have them back no one's going to really complain but if they left the slip cover off next time and added the back info as normal it would be much better.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kwijibo

Quote Originally Posted by Steamed Mr Bergstrom View Post
    Thanks, yeah I think the UK are the only one's who have this, or maybe Europe in general but it is a bit of a pain really, it's just really fiddly to get back on as you have to have the DVD exactly straight for it to fit and slip back on again which isn't the greatest of things, that said, it's just great to have them back no one's going to really complain but if they left the slip cover off next time and added the back info as normal it would be much better.
    I just threw the slip cover away when I got the DVD for Christmas... but yeah, I gotta agree with you on that. It was a bit hard pulling it off!
    kwyjibo (kwidge-jib-oh): a big dumb balding North American ape with no chin and a short temper.

Yeah, getting it back on is even worse lol I don't want to throw it away though cause it has the artwork with the episodes on the back but hopefully next time they'll just do them as normal rather than the slip case thing lol

I bought my R4 today (finally) and ours is like past releases, slip of paper glued on the back and ratings logo printed directly onto the front.

Thinking about it a bit more, the UK and Europe is all R2, isn't it? I'd imagine the slipcover was a cheap solution so that they didn't have to print different batches of boxes with different R2 country's ratings logos.

I've been listening to the commentaries, and have always had the habit of having the subtitles turned on for them. It's kind of funny that whoever transcribed them had no problem writing the Italian names that Joe Mantegna says in The Mook, The Chef, etc., but at one point in Ice Cream of Margie they have Matt Nastuk written as "Matt-nastic"

Junior Camper

I can't understand why the box is a different size. Now it sticks out farther than the other 17. You can't tell me there wasn't other anal retentive people working on this that would've brought that up.

The first release came out in 2002, and there's been a three-year gap in production. Anyone looking for uniform boxes given that timescale is going to be disappointed.

The first release came out in 2002, and there's been a three-year gap in production. Anyone looking for uniform boxes given that timescale is going to be disappointed.
    The fact that they managed to keep the boxes the same size for the first 17 seasons is more testament to the fact that there's no excuse for the S18 box to be wider, IMO. Even the plastic head boxes for S6-10 are pretty much the same width as the standard boxes. Whatever reason they had to change it for S18, it was intentional as it's quite a noticeable difference. A multi-billion dollar company that is getting boxsets manufactured in this day and age should have no problem keeping the sizes the same.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: dave9199

So this set came with a bonus episode from the HD era. Does that mean it differs from past seasons were the bonus ep came only with the Blu-ray release?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacku View Post
    So this set came with a bonus episode from the HD era. Does that mean it differs from past seasons were the bonus ep came only with the Blu-ray release?
    Past blu-ray releases had more bonus episodes than the DVD releases. However starting with season 17 they gave one bonus episode to the DVD. Season 17's DVD had The Man Who Grew Too Much and season 16's DVD had Holidays of Future Passed (however, the sides were stupidly cropped to 4:3).
    UP AND ATOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Past blu-ray releases had more bonus episodes than the DVD releases. However starting with season 17 they gave one bonus episode to the DVD. Season 17's DVD had The Man Who Grew Too Much and season 16's DVD had Holidays of Future Passed (however, the sides were stupidly cropped to 4:3).
    Where they cropped on the Blu-ray versions?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jacku View Post
    Where they cropped on the Blu-ray versions?
    I don't think so.

I've been looking for a limited edition/molded head boxset, but I can't find one. I'm guessing that one hasn't been produced.

Quote Originally Posted by tardis1701 View Post
    I've been looking for a limited edition/molded head boxset, but I can't find one. I'm guessing that one hasn't been produced.
    Nope. Just the one box design for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I don't think so.
    I can confirm this. They're in 16:9 on blu.

I'm starting to think that the Season 18 release was made for nostalgic purposes only and NOT a proper restart of the season sets.

Thread Information