• 2/5 failed the SAT

5 22.73%
  • 1/5 *brian gets hit by a car*

3 13.64%

Thread: R&R Family Guy "Our Idiot Brian"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R Family Guy "Our Idiot Brian"

Brian discovers he's not as smart as he thinks he is when he fails a SAT. Peter then shows him the joys of stupidity. R&R after it airs.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

kinda whatever. no cutaways were that memorable but i did like the 1920s song. the black swan joke was pretty funny too. the plot was basically non-existant - brian fails the SAT, does stupid things, refuses to get the surgery to make him smart, and then gets the surgery to make him smart because there's 2 minutes left. 2.5/5

Junior Camper

This was easily the most enjoyable episode for me since the season premiere. Almost every joke landed and the cutaways weren't all too bad. I like episodes that rely more on character-based humor since we rarely ever get them, so this was a real treat. It was pretty funny to see Brian act like an idiot. In fact, I actually wish that he never got the tumor removed in the first place (almost makes me sound like a bad person). The most important rule for me when it comes to Family Guy is that it has to make me laugh, and this episode did not disappoint in the slightest. 5/5.

Banned

Pretty limited and recycled plot, but most of the cutaways were amusing.

3/5, 6/10, C+

Once Brian became an idiot, the episode took off. There were a couple minutes there between Brian's idiocy and Brian going to the hospital for his tumor where every joke landed so well. Loved their use of Cotton Eyed Joe during the montage to represent dumbass hick/bro culture. Really got a kick out of Peter sledgehammering the doorway so the two could carry in their sub sandwich and the two watching the That's My Boy DVD menu. Only joke I didn't like was the dog planet one, just because it was stupid. Still, 5/5.

And I hope Peter's two penises joke was meant to be an off-screen joke and not simply cropped for network TV. Because I don't want to see that on Netflix in a couple years.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

The plot was silly but it sure was funny. This has to be the first appearance of Neil Goldman in a few years. He's pretty funny and I'm glad his character isn't pounded into the ground. I loved the Cotton Eye Joe montage too. 4/5

Blog Entries

kind of boring. the black swan, that's my boy and yelp jokes were the only three that made me laugh (especially the latter because I'm threatened with that by customers all the freaking time), and I liked Brian tearing Stewie a new one about tricking him into the surgery.

otherwise just bland as hell. 2.5/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

This episode was surprisingly pretty good. I wasn't looking forward to this episode because I thought it was going to be another episode where Brian is an unlikable asshole and then we get an insulting ending where he realizes that he was being an asshole while the camera dramatically zooms in on Brian. Fortunately it wasn't that kind of episode at all. Sure Asshole Brian was a huge part of the episode, but here's the thing. Asshole Brian was actually very funny in this episode and he really doesn't get too unlikable because he has a tumor that is causing him to act this way. I have to admit that it's a weird plot point, but I just went with it. I also really liked how Stewie was really concerned about Brian which is another think that makes the plot work. Really the biggest problem I have with the episode is one of the jokes in this episode. It was when Brian was saying "Schwing! Schwing! Schwing!" at a fitness center and that joke was actually funny until Brian explains the fucking joke by saying "That was from Wayne's World! That was the sound of Wayne's boner." Dude, I already knew that was from Wayne's World and I already knew what "schwing" meant. Jesus Christ, that is just as bad as Peter Griffin explaining to me who Joe Pesci was in Brian's a Bad Father. Also the dog planet joke was kind of stupid, but other than that it was a pretty good episode. 8/10

Next week is when the awful-sounding This Little Piggy comes out and I'll be surprised if I end up rating this episode any higher than a 2/10. I am really expecting the worst from that episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

The episode started getting good at about the 20 minute mark then stopped. The first act was atrocious, the second act was a bit better but still bad and even for this season's standard this was pretty bad overall. 2/5

Blog Entries

Maybe it's just because I had a super bad day but... this helped. This really fucking helped me a lot. It was dumb as Hell and I loved every second of it. 5/5
    How to remaster

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a very, very funny episode. If only, the reason I didn't give it a 10 is because they could have cut down a little on the cutaways since some of them weren't that funny and because of the rushed ending. Otherwise, I totally loved this episode. Seeing Brian act like a complete retard was funnier than I'd have expected and it was nice seeing him bond with Peter. I'm glad they are finally giving us more Brian-Peter interactions this season. Stewie being so concerned for Brian was charming as well, and Dr. Hartman delivered as usual. The joke I found myself laughing at the most though was Ruth (one of Meg's few friends) finding her mom "so fucking hot". I've never even taken notice to her before and now we suddenly get this coming from her. Hilarious!
    This is the second best episode of the season and I hate that the next episode will be so much worse. 9.4/10
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 01-12-2015 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

The Cotten-Eye Joe scene was the funniest part IMO because the song just fit so well. Anyway, it was a funny episode with a great plot in which nothing was forced. 5/5.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

While I do hate that song for being annoying and ridiculously overplayed, but the scene with that song was one of the highlights of this episode.

Junior Camper

I enjoyed the bit about Brian's novel but apart from that, there wasn't a lot to take away from this one. Average Family Guy but at least it's not like the last horrendous two episodes.

Blog Entries

that's my boy DVD menu made me crack up so much. best part of the season so far. only reason i'm giving this a 3/5 too. would've been like a low 2/5 if not for it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    Next week is when the awful-sounding This Little Piggy comes out
    There won't be an episode next week, it comes out January 25.
    After that... Well, I've heard the sports season is threatening, but I hope for there to be 3 weeks break tops.

Blog Entries

oss: the next episode which we've only seen a handful of promo pics and a brief synopsis will definitely be worse

come on man you cant at least be looking forward to the stewie/brian subplot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    come on man you cant at least be looking forward to the stewie/brian subplot
    Anything with Brian and Stewie is somewhat worth watching, but unfortunately it's only in the subplot. (Even if they've given them ridiculously many time travel episodes, all of them are good)
    I just hope they'll keep the fetichism to a minimum, but knowing Family Guy, they won't.

Blog Entries

dude it's meg

Blog Entries

One part of the This Little Piggy plot says that Stewie experiences life outside of preschool, like he hasn't done that any time within the past 13 seasons.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Wow, on Jan 25 they're gonna rip off Peggy's Magic Sex Feet.

I'm... legitimately interested to see how FG would do that plot.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Meh, this was so messy, starting with the stupid Meg stuff, then Brian doing the SAT which he's of course gonna fail - only wait, it's not for the obvious reason that he's just stupid and pretentious anyway, but apparently it's because he's got a brain tumor and is gonna act in an updated stupid manner for the rest of the episode. It had some moments I guess, so I'd say a 2.5 out of 5.

Funny, cos for some reason in a lot seasons the episode with "Brian" in the episode title (especially in season 6 and 11) title tends to be my favorite, I guess this season that's not gonna happen.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I've been able to get back into Brian episodes after he was killed off and brought back. He seems to be written with a slight bit more care than before he was killed off, even though his character has taken a real nosedive over the course of the show. This episode had potential and, to some extent, made good on it.

I've often wondered if I'm actually as smart as I think I am. David Sedaris writes about the same phenomenon in Me Talk Pretty One Day, wherein he takes an IQ test with disappointing results. Of course, being called out on one's faults can be shattering and extremely depressing; as depressing as it sounds, I wish the episode would have tackled that side of things instead of using a tumor as a plot device for incurring some "potentially permanent" transformation which, according to the Rules of Sitcoms, couldn't ever stick. Peter and Brian bond in some fun scenes, but Brian's personality in the second and third acts reminded me a lot of him in Teags for Two, which didn't have the plot convenience of a failed SAT and a brain tumor to explain Brian's behavior. If it had just been Brian's state of mind - thinking you're a failure will just confirm your identity as one - and not been because of a tumor, this episode could have really worked.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Meh...I thought this was a mediocre episode. The jokes are stupidity stenotype. I laughed at some parts but the line "your mom (Lois) is so fucking hot" was the funniest. A plot of Brian as an idiot was okay but he was kinda annoying. Also most cutaways felt flat. 5.5/10a
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Junior Camper

I enjoyed this one. The plot was a lot more inventive and the Peter and Brian relationship is a really good comedic one and it's nice when that is explored. The Demolition Derby scenes were hilarious. Dumb Brian was very entertaining to watch throughout (great performance from Seth on the "dumb voice"), and Peter had some great lines too. The plot didn't feel rushed and most of the jokes were on point and worked well. The Cotton-Eye Joe sequence was hilarious, it was a brilliantly inspired choice of music to use and Peter smashing holes in the wall to fit the sandwich through was very clever. That is honestly one of the funniest music sequences I think the show has ever done. Cutaways were good too, and I thought the quality of the jokes and the humour in this episode was the best since Book of Joe, six episodes ago.
    This episode was Family Guy firing on all cylinders and shows that it still produces excellent episodes with charm, wit, great storylines and hilarious jokes.

Number of Times I Laughed Out Loud: 5 (more than any other episode so far this season)

Funniest Line: Principal Shepard (upon seeing Brian urinate on a locker): Meg, I thought we were going to try and work on that!"

Score: 8/10

Thread Information