Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Blog Entries

2014 NHC Winter Video Game Music Showdown (VOTING THREAD! FINAL RESULTS!)

Well everyone, it was a bit more awkward to put together than I was expecting this time due to time constraints and people failing to meet submission deadlines, but nonetheless I give you the first round of the 2014 NHC Winter Video Game Music Showdown.

Here's the list of members competing
    1. @Shaunbadia
    2. @tormerry (Christmas username. Reverted to @tormented during the showdown)
    3. @Jims
    4. @Financial Prancer (Christmas username. Reverted to @Financial Panther during the showdown)
    5. @Senor Homer For The Holidays (Christmas username. Reverted to @Jerkass Homer during the showdown)
    6. @kup o' nog (Christmas username. Reverted to @kupomog during the showdown)
    7. @Stop the Cavellry (Christmas username. Reverted to @Elliot74 during the showdown)
    8. @1010011010 Days of X-Mas (Christmas username. Reverted to @1010011010 during the showdown)
    9. @airalba
    10. @Father Cactus (Christmas username. Reverted to @Dr. Cactus during the showdown)
    11. @Ryan
    12. @Merry Chrismoose (Christmas username. Reverted to @The Spruce Moose during the showdown, followed by having his name changed to @Amanda Hugandkiss)
    13. @Sinterklaas (Christmas username. Reverted to @Matty during the showdown)
    14. @Malaise Forever
    15. @Smiling Politely
    16. @Dobbie
    17. @thats_christmas_theory (Christmas username. Reverted to @mutilated_lips during the showdown)
    18. @Xaiv
    19. @burnin'
    20. @D4C

ROUND 1-A!

Match #1
    Kirby's Adventure - “Butter Building”
    vs.
    Kingdom Hearts - “Hikari Kingdom Orchestra”

Match #2
    Garfield: Caught in the Act - “Glitch's Theme”
    vs.
    Pokemon X & Y - “Coumarine City”

Match #3
    Mega Man II - “Dr. Wily Stage 1”
    vs.
    Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”

Match #4
    Ghosts 'n Goblins - “Graveyard”
    vs.
    Starsky & Hutch - “Track 6”

Match #5
    Mighty Switch Force! - “Whoa I'm in Space Cuba”
    vs.
    Super Adventure Island - “Essential Vitamins”

Match #6
    E.Y.E. - “Temple Battle Theme”
    vs.
    Prop Cycle - “Cliff Rock”

Match #7
    Rayman Legends - “Grannies World Tour”
    vs.
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest – “Stickerbrush Symphony”

Match #8
    Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day”
    vs.
    Gimmick! - “Sophia”

Voting for this round ends in 3 days (Saturday, December 20th) at approximately 10:15 p.m, London time. Best of luck to you all!
    Last edited by Shaunbadia; 01-03-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

oh boy. haven't listened to any but i'm super stoked to see mr gimmick here. i was considering nominating a different song from that game

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Ah hell yeah something to do on my lunch break.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Okay, I hate to start out on a sour note... but the presence of Mega Man 2's Wily 1 here is just baffling to me. It's easily one of the most beloved NES tracks in the history of the console... like, if you google "Best NES Songs" I guarantee most lists will have Wily 1 near the top.

I was able to find two different uploads of the song on YouTube that have over a million views.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFKtYCcMWT4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRoRt155mA

And that's not counting the countless covers, remixes, lyric videos, etc. It would be a shame if it ended up taking first prize because it would easily be the most boring outcome a music showdown could possibly have.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the Wily Stage is too much of a classic for me. I'm probably just going to vote against it to even the playing field a little and let the more obscure stuff have a time to shine.

Stickerbush Symphony is arguably way up there too, but that one is more dependent on how much of a Nintendophile you are.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

^ And that's why I'm not concerned about the odd super popular thing that gets through. People will vote against it because it's popular.

Anyway, I'll probably be posting my choices slowly up until the deadline since I am pretty much just going to be working up until then. The picks look decent enough, some stuff I'm really glad to see and some stuff that I expected.

Blog Entries

Oh, for the love of Christ. I had a bad feeling this would happen. Guys, I've had to turn away a lot of shit prior to this and I'm really fucking tired. It took all of my will power not to cuss a couple of entrants out with some of the stuff that got put forth all in the midst of trying to get a paper finished for Uni while keeping track of this and not getting enough sleep, so please, forgive me that a dull as dishwater fucking Mega Man track slipped through the cracks. Hey, at least they got pitted against each other right?

As for Stickerbrush Symphony, I was on the fence about it and another song that was submitted by the same person, but figured that not everyone's super into Nintendo and therefore it's not a track that transcends it's own game to become some super recognizable tune in mainstream pop-culture like Pac-Man's theme music or the Zelda theme.

1. Kingdom Hearts - “Hikari Kingdom Orchestra”
    2. Pokemon X & Y - “Coumarine City”
    3. Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”
    4. Starsky & Hutch - “Track 6”
    5. Mighty Switch Force! - “Whoa I'm in Space Cuba”
    6. Prop Cycle - “Cliff Rock”
    7. Rayman Legends - “Grannies World Tour”
    8. Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day”

Kingdom Hearts doesn't really get good for me until around the 1:27 mark, but from there on it's a pretty neat piece of orchestral music that hands down beats the rather repetitive albeit charmingly cheery little sound of "Butter Building".

"Glitch's theme" is... well, it's goofy with a bit of a downbeat tone to it. In other words, it feels like something that should be in a Garfield game. There was also a weird little vibe of what felt like an attempt at making the atmosphere feel futuristic, like something one might find in the space themed levels of a Crash Bandicoot game. All in all a pleasant surprise. Though it wasn't quite enough to sway me from the incredibly pleasant jazz vibes of "Coumarine City".

Mega Man Dr. Wily stage vs. another Mega Man Dr. Wily stage... uh... not a lot to say about either one of these really. I suppose I thought the one from V sounded more menacing and gave me that vibe of being in a tense boss battle. Mega Man V it is then.

Starsky & Hutch wasn't a hard choice at all. Funk beats... whatever Ghosts 'n Goblins is.

“Whoa I'm in Space Cuba” is probably the best title of any track in the showdown, I can say that much right off the bat. Secondly, the track itself is fucking awesome. Absolutely adore this one. "Essential Vitamins" is kinda chill and all and I dig that but pitted against "Whoa I'm in Space Cuba" I just can't be swayed towards it.

I was gonna give my thoughts on the rest of these and will probably update this post with the remainder of my thoughts tomorrow but right now I'm a little pissed off that the complaints about certain tracks being allowed are rolling through already. Goodnight!

EDIT: Thoughts on the rest of the tracks.... *Sigh* Still in a bit of a shit mood so let's just get through this...

Prop Cycle has this lovely little relaxing thing going on for it that I can't explain properly. The E.Y.E. track is fine but really what this boils down to is my mood and 9 times out of 10 I'll take the thing that calms me more.

So look, Stickerbrush Symphony is great. I love it, I really do, and I was on the fence about allowing it as I mentioned above, but here's the thing. Whatever the better known tracks are up against, I'm probably gonna vote against out of sheer spite unless the thing it's up against is just plain shit. That Rayman track wasn't anything that blew me away but it was a fun listen and it was something new, so there. You have my vote Rayman.

Vib-Ribbon's "Sunny Day" is a weird as shit little J-Pop thing, but I like it. There's something about it where I just can't help smiling. "Sophia" is... uh... well, it's ok (I get that some people will probably chew me out for that given the love it appears to be getting but fuck it, I likes what I likes).
    Last edited by Shaunbadia; 12-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Match #1
    Butter Building IS my favorite Kirby track hands down. I never get sick of it and the different remixes across various games (Kirby's Avalanche version is likely my fave). On the other hand, Hikari ~ Kingdom is a very nice orchestral theme of HIKARI for sure but I am sick to death of hearing it. It is used for every single KH game trailer ever. It's a bit unfair for me to feel that way because it is such a pretty theme, certainly one of my favorite orchestrated versions of any particular VGM. I really have to give it to Butter Building right now, though.

Match #2
    Glitch's Theme definitely sounds like Genesis! Catchy beat, slightly piercing instruments. Coumarine City, wow, jazzy. I like.

Match #3
    Haha what...

Match #4
    Graveyard is a classic tune. Flows nicely and is boppin'. Hard to deny a Follin Bro, tho. Love dat funk, wowow.

Match #5
    virt. Space Cuba is a nice find. Energetic and fun, really like that bassline. And daaaang I haven't played Super Adventure Island in a long time. I didn't get far enough in it, sucked at it. Really liking Essential Vitamins and its smooth groove. Reminds me of Perfect Dark. I think Space Cuba is the stronger track but I'm definitely noting Essential Vitamins to add to my VGM playlist.

Match #6
    Temple Battle is a slow build. It seems to stay fairly subdued even with the high BPM feel; I appreciate that it doesn't just turn into a techno mess. I like when the melody is in full stride. But I feel Cliff Rock is a wonderfully adventurous theme from start to finish. The drum, bass, and flute work is lovely. Track makes me so happy.

Match #7
    Surprised to see Stickerbrush Symphony. Bramble Blast is usually the first thing out of someone's mouth when they talk about DKC2 music and also I swear last year I asked in Tinychat if I could nom a DKC2 track and was straight up told by like three people no too popular. But uh, well, I just plain like it more than Grannies World Tour. By the time I started getting into World Tour, it was over.

Match #8
    Gimmick! - “Sophia”
    I fucking love vib ribbon. The soundtrack is so perfectly odd but cheerful. I would love to support it but Sophia is so wonderful! Everything from the beat to the instrumentation to the composition is a big fat yes. That melody is gonna be stuck in my head for awhile. My fave track of this round, as well as a new find! Good pick, person.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Oh, for the love of Christ. I had a bad feeling this would happen. Guys, I've had to turn away a lot of shit prior to this and I'm really fucking tired. It took all of my will power not to cuss a couple of entrants out with some of the stuff that got put forth all in the midst of trying to get a paper finished for Uni while keeping track of this and not getting enough sleep, so please, forgive me that a dull as dishwater fucking Mega Man track slipped through the cracks. Hey, at least they got pitted against each other right?
    Hey, no worries, Shaun... I wasn't trying to get on your case or anything. I know a lot of people got on me for letting "Cemetery Gates" by The Smiths into the last music showdown and I was bummed out by it. I was just more talking in general that I was going to probably vote against it (like @Smiling Politely alluded to) as my justification.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Sorry I made you angry; certainly wasn't deliberate on my part. I can certainly appreciate the effort required to run one of these.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

nobody'll read this but whatever. i gotta put my thoughts.

#1. Kirby's Adventure - Butter Building vs. Kingdom Hearts - Hikari Kingdom Orchestra

kirby's adventure is obviously an NES classic, but for some reason i've never really given any thought to its soundtrack. for a game that came out late in the NES life cycle it definitely doesn't push the hardware like, say, a Sunsoft or Follin tune would, but it's definitely very catchy, even if it has a sort of rough texture to it that i'm not a huge fan of. other song is pretty lavish but personally i found it sort of boring. it didn't make me feel anything. i guess it's because i haven't really touched a single kingdom hearts game in my life. i don't know the series has just never interested me. i'm sure i'll be the only one who thinks this but this track just feels kinda hollow to me. like i don't know how to describe it.

both of these songs aren't my favorites, but kirby's adventure is more relistenable to me. so yeah. point goes to butter building.

#2. Garfield: Caught in the Act - Glitch's Theme vs. Pokémon X&Y - Coumarine City

pokemon to me isn't really about the soundtrack (even though there are definitely some gems in the series). for one, the fact that in most pokemon games you have to do a shit ton of backtracking means you'll hear certain tunes copious amounts of times. and on top of that most of the tunes aren't very fleshed out. garfield: caught in the act is a game i have a lot of memories with, but i barely ever got far. that game was fucking difficult. according to the youtube comments, this is the final boss tune. weirdly upbeat for one. it's a bit repetitive but i sorta like how it builds.

so point goes to glitch's theme.

#3. Mega Man 2 - Dr. Wily Stage 1 vs. Mega Man V - Dr. Wily

um well. i know dr. wily's nes themes like the back of my hand, so although i can still appreciate how good it is, i just don't really feel it anymore like some people. (it's never been my favorite mega man nes theme anyway. that would be napalm man.) mega man v... well i'm fairly surprised a game boy mega man game was nominated. i played these suckers all the time. and admittedly the music for some of them is utter garbage (mega man ii on game boy will make your ears bleed i guarantee it) this one is pretty good. so yeah, mega man 2 i'm just tired of. mega man v was just something different to me and i haven't heard a million times which is why i'm picking it.

point goes to dr. wily.

#4. Ghosts 'n Goblins - Graveyard vs. Starsky & Hutch - Track 6

ghosts 'n goblins. well, its soundtrack really isn't its crowning achievement. i'd be lying if i said it didn't fit the game really well; it is suitably creepy and has a really nice flow, but well, there's not much to it. track 6 (no title huh) is a pretty fun little track. it's neat to see what tim follin is like sans the limitations of the NES/Amiga/whatever else he scored for. although i think it lacks the punch of some of his better 8-bit tracks, it's a pretty great funk tune.

point goes to track 6.

#5. Mighty Switch Force! - Whoa I'm in Space Cuba vs. Super Adventure Island - Essential Vitamins

can i just say something?

this supradarky dude has way too many favorite vgms.

ok, now onto the songs. well, mighty switch force. jake kaufman is a really great composer. his music is like if you add sugar to some old 8-bit tunes. they occasionally get a bit crowded but whatever man! he's super great. and i do like this switch force tune a lot. great game too. now, adventure island, that's a series i haven't heard in a long while. these are incredibly simplistic platformers. and this tune fits it really well, it's all chill and stuff. fits with the relaxing nature of these games. but it isn't enough to sway me away from kaufman.

point goes to space cuba.

#6. E.Y.E. - Temple Battle Theme vs. Prop Cycle - Cliff Rock

dammit supradarky...

holy shit PROP CYCLE. an old amusement park i used to frequent had one of these cabinets. i sucked shit at this game but man. i haven't thought about this game in easily a decade. this vote may be just because of nostalgia. but eh, i just think it's the better song anyway. e.y.e. just stays too subdued throughout for me to really dig it.

point goes to cliff rock.

#7. Rayman Legends - Grannies World Tour vs. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest – Stickerbrush Symphony

eh. tough one. grannies world tour is decent. even if it is too short, it's a pretty fun listen, even if i don't like the vocals. i don't totally love stickerbrush and it's definitely not my favorite dkc2 song but i do have to admit it's a good listen. so i'm really on the fence here. there's not one thing in either song that i can use to determine which one i like more. but if i had to listen to one over and over it'd be grannies world tour, because kong quest does get a tad repetitive and really the only huge problem i

point goes to grannies world tour.

#8. Vib-Ribbon - Sunny Day vs. Gimmick! - Sophia

i really didn't care for vib-ribbon. it has a nice instrumental but the vocals just got in the way and why the singer kept telling me to hurry up i have no idea. gimmick on the other hand, holy shit. major props to the nominator, gimmick is awesome. such a shame it never got an NA release. this isn't my favorite song from the game (that'd be slow illusion) but i can't deny sunsoft, man. all of their NES games are way past cool!

point goes to gimmick.

Blog Entries

Sorry I didn't submit anything this time my laptop is somewhat busted and I needed to upload one of the songs I was going to use but it was on my laptop so I couldn't. Also both my tracks were going to be really fucking weird to the point where I know no one would like em but I guess that was the point. Next time.

1. Kirbys Adventure - "Butter Building
    2. Pokemon X and Y - "Courmarine City"
    3. Mega man 2 - "Dr.Willy Stage 1"
    4. Startsky & Hutch - "Track 6"
    5. Mighty Switch Force - "Whoa I'm in Space Cuba" fun fact I almost used this track last year and was going to use this year if I could submit a 3rd
    6. E.Y.E - "Temple Battle Theme"
    7. Donkey Kong Country 2 - "Sticker Bush Symphony"
    8. Gimmick! - " Sophia"

Match #1
    I honestly feel like the only person that doesn't love Kirby music. Not that it's bad, I just have yet to hear anything that's really wowed me. The Kingdom Hearts track was a lot more interesting to me and I like the build it has. Really pleasant.

Match #2
    The Garfield track was sort of catchy and I was mostly into it, but I feel like this is something I would get sick of pretty quickly. The Pokemon track was just overall really pleasant and nice and something that I think would take longer to get sick of.

Match #3
    Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”
    I found the track from II super grating right off the bat. There wasn't a single part of it I could get into honestly and it just really rubbed me the wrong way. The track from V was pretty good though, I found it at least moderately interesting throughout.

Match #4
    I didn't really love either of these. Track 6 was kinda funky though.

Match #5
    I actually really enjoyed both of these songs, but went with the song that I'm feeling more at the moment. Also, awesome track name.

Match #6
    I'm familiar with this Prop Cycle track and it's honestly not one I'm super fond of. Not in the sense that I dislike it, it's enjoyable enough I guess, I just don't find it very interesting. I really enjoy the subtle intensity of the E.Y.E. track though.

Match #7
    Donkey Kong is fine. Usually enjoy Donkey Kong tracks fine. Not really a favourite though. The Rayman track was fun though.

Match #8
    Gimmick! - “Sophia”
    I do like the Vib-Ribbon track (the whole soundtrack is actually pretty enjoyable), but I was really surprised to find myself enjoying Sophia more than Sunny Day.
    Last edited by Smiling Politely; 12-18-2014 at 06:47 PM.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Match #1
    vs.

Match #2
    vs.

Match #3
    vs.
    Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”

Match #4
    vs.

Match #5
    vs.
    Super Adventure Island - “Essential Vitamins”

Match #6
    vs.

Match #7
    vs.

Match #8
    Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day”
    vs.
    Gimmick! - “Sophia”
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Blog Entries

hopefully I'll feel in the mood enough to do this by the deadline
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

1. Kingdom Hearts
    2. Pokemon
    3. Mega Man V
    4. Starsky & Hutch
    5. Super Adventure Island
    6. Prop Cycle
    7. Donkey Kong Country 2
    8. Vib-Ribbon

Kind of a bleh round. Nothing really wowed me.

Favorite track: Kingdom Hearts
    Least favorite track: Ghosts & Goblins

1-Kingdom Hearts - “Hikari Kingdom Orchestra”

The first one is original and catchy but I liked the overall sound design of the second one.

2-Pokemon X & Y - “Coumarine City”

Garfield's was hard to listen to, and the other one is a bit forgettable but I guess I'll go with it

3-Mega Man II - “Dr. Wily Stage 1”

Well the other one wasn't so bad for a Gameboy Megaman Track but I'm gonna go with Megaman 2 .

4-Starsky & Hutch - “Track 6”

Ghost N Goblins is very nostalgic from when I first heard it 6 years ago but Starsky & Hutch's is just better to listen to.

5- Mighty Switch Force

Super Adventure Island is a very nostalgic game for me but its soundtrack is not very good. Never played Mighty Swotch Force but this track is groovy

6- Prop Cycle - “Cliff Rock”

EYE was forgettable, I liked the sound of the othe one.

7- Donkey Kong Country 2

I'll obviously go with that one. Probably in my top 5 best VGM ever the sound design is just amazing.

8-Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day”

I like the sound of Sunny Day and the singing is catchy and I can't help but smile during that song.

Favorite Track Overall : Mighty Switch Force
    Least Favorite: Hum Garfield I guess (altough I like the game)

sorry about flaking. i've been insanely busy the last few weeks and especially the last couple days, so i hadn't even visited the boards and did not get any of the notifications until this morning. but i was struggling to come up with 3 anyway so it's probably for the best

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Wears sneakers for sneaking Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomerry
    nobody'll read this but whatever
    I read it.

1. Kingdom Hearts - Hikari Kingdom Orchestra
    2. Garfield: Caught in the Act - Glitch's Theme
    3. Mega Man II - Dr. Wily Stage 1
    4. Starsky & Hutch - Track 6
    5. Super Adventure Island - Essential Vitamins
    6. Prop Cycle - Cliff Rock
    7. Rayman Legends - Grannies World Tour
    8. Vib-Ribbon - Sunny Day
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Blog Entries

Thanks for arranging another one of these, Shaun. After a busy week filled with work, it's nice to open a beer or two and be able to be obliged to just sit down and hear some VGM music, old and new.

Match #1
    I've played Kirby's Adventure so much during my life. The music contains a lot of catchy happy energy that always gets me pumped up. Where's my NES controller? Hikari Kingdom had very nice orchestration, but it didn't really captivate or touch me.

Match #2
    I really liked the way Glitch's Theme played with stereo, constantly shifting from left to right channel and back. I'd want to play this part of the game to experience what that's like in the living room. Unfortunately it got repetitive and ended up feeling long. I wasn't expecting a jazzy track from Pokémon, but that's probably just my lack of playing those games. I dug it.

Match #3
    Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”
    Controversial round! Funny they're pitted against each other. I appreciate hearing some of the classics amidst the new discoveries and I absolutely love Mega Man, but personally I would never submit a tune from these games to the showdown since it's very likely everyone here already knows it. Feels to me like not having such tracks starts with us just not submitting them. But know that I don't want to discourage people from participating, just encourage them to dig a little deeper.

Anyway, Mega Man II is so famous, that I enjoyed listening to V more. Especially dug going into the part at 0:45

Match #4
    I've played Ghosts 'n Goblins plenty, but I'm not sure I've ever really liked it. I was probably just into the idea of a game with lots of ghosts 'n goblins as a kid. It's an ok theme. Sounds ominous, as if it's warning you for the scary frustration ahead.
    There's a Starsky & Hutch game? The funk is highly enjoyable.

Match #5
    The Adventure Island games always fooled me with their simplistic platformer disguise, but they were so damn hard. Track is ok, but not nearly as exciting as Whoa I'm in Space Cuba. Awesome sound! I love how the piano comes in every now and then for a little jazz jam.

Match #6
    When Temp Battle started, I thought it might go somewhere cool. But it seemed like it got stuck early on. Subdued is right, but that might possibly work really well when you're actually playing E.Y.E. As just a musical piece, I wish it had more going for it. Like Cliff Rock. Which is relaxing in a energetic way. I caught myself tapping my foot halfway through. Great track!

Match #7
    Stickerbush Symphony is solid. DKC music never fails to set the atmosphere of the worlds you're in. There's a lot of layers to discover in the track while just listening.
    I like how Grannies World Tour starts out ominous and then goes into a high tempo RUN! sound. I've actually played this game fairly recently, and I really enjoyed how this track was used in the game. I can feel running, jumping and smashing through the level again while listening to this.

Match #8
    Gimmick! - “Sophia”
    Sunny Day was funny when it started, but sitting through the whole thing became a hard task for me with these vocals. Just not my thing. Gimmick! is, if I may borrow Kupo's word for it, wonderful. Sounds very layered for a NES track. Great arrangement.

Blog Entries

1. Kirb-o
    2. Pok-o-mon
    3. Mega Mon Vee
    4. Gosts n Go-blins
    5. mighty switch fohss
    6. Prope Cyckle
    7. Raymon
    8. Vib Ribb-ohn

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Kingdom Hearts
    2. Pokemon X/Y
    3. Megaman V
    4. Ghost ‘n Goblins
    5. Mighty Switch Force!
    6. E.Y.E.
    7. DKC2
    8. Vib-Ribbon
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kirby
    Garfield
    Megaman V
    Ghosts N Goblins
    Mighty Switch Force
    EYE
    DKC2
    Gimmick

Blog Entries

1. Kingdom Hearts - “Hikari Kingdom Orchestra”
    2. Pokemon X & Y - “Coumarine City”
    3. Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily”
    4. Starsky & Hutch - “Track 6”
    5. Mighty Switch Force! - “Whoa I'm in Space Cuba”
    6. Prop Cycle - “Cliff Rock”
    7. Rayman Legends - “Grannies World Tour”
    8. Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day”

Will post some comments tomorrow when I have more time.

Blog Entries

not sure if I'll make it, but I'll try to get to this when I get off work today in eight hours

Blog Entries

1. Kirby's Adventure - Butter Building - The quintessential Kirby's Adventure track. Captures the tone and feel of the game, and the series perfectly. Very energetic and bouncy.
    2. Pokemon X/Y - Coumarine City Theme - One of X/Y's most memorable tracks. Very rich sound for something on the 3DS. I like how relaxing and slow the track is in comparison with the general hubbub of a Pokemon game.
    3. Megaman II - Dr. Wily Stage 1 - Easily the better of the two. What can I say about this that hasn't been said already? One of the NES's defining tracks.
    4. Starsky & Hutch - Track 6
    5. Mighty Switch Force - Whoa I'm in Space Cuba - Frantic, crazy, fast... A description I would positively attribute to both this track and the game it is from.
    6. Prop Cycle - Cliff Rock- A nice, calm track. I like the windpipes.
    7. Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony - Beautiful track. Very complex and multi-layered, building up from soothing and tranquil to fast and energetic, but maintaining this kind of blissful mellowness throughout. Its kind of tough to describe, but there is just something very haunting and enchanting about this track. Not to mention that it pushed the SNES to its absolute limits with a very natural and clean sound, and contrasted perfectly with the spiky hell that was the game's bramble levels. As with anything composed by David Wise, its wonderful.
    8. Gimmick! - Sophia - Really liked this one. Very catchy and fun.
    Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps, 3/10; The Wreck of the Relationship, 5/10; Super Franchise Me, 5/10; Treehouse of Horror XXV, 7/10; Opposites A-Frack, 6/10; Simpsorama, 7/10; Blazed and Confused, 7/10; Covercraft, 5/10; I Won't Be Home for Christmas, 8/10; The Man Who Came To Be Dinner, 7/10; Bart's New Friend, 5/10; The Musk Who Fell to Earth, 3/10;

I Review Every Episode In No Particular Order
    Twitter | YouTube

To the book depository! burnin''s Avatar

Gimmick! - “Sophia”

Blog Entries

ROUND 1-A RESULTS!

Match #1
    Kirby's Adventure - “Butter Building” (7)
    vs.
    Kingdom Hearts - “Hikari Kingdom Orchestra” (9)

Eliminated: Kirby's Adventure - "Butter Building" (Nominated by @Xaiv)

Match #2
    Garfield: Caught in the Act - “Glitch's Theme” (4)
    vs.
    Pokemon X & Y - “Coumarine City” (12)

Eliminated: Garfield: Caught in the Act - “Glitch's Theme” (Nominated by @Ryan)

Match #3
    Mega Man II - “Dr. Wily Stage 1” (7)
    vs.
    Mega Man V - “Dr. Wily” (9)

Eliminated: Mega Man II - "Dr. Wily Stage 1" (Nominated by @Stop the Cavellry)

Match #4
    Ghosts 'n Goblins - “Graveyard” (4)
    vs.
    Starsky & Hutch - “Track 6” (12)

Eliminated: Ghosts 'n Goblins - “Graveyard” (Nominated by @burnin')

Match #5
    Mighty Switch Force! - “Whoa I'm in Space Cuba” (13)
    vs.
    Super Adventure Island - “Essential Vitamins” (3)

Eliminated: Super Adventure Island - "Essential Vitamins" (Nominated by @thats_christmas_theory)

Match #6
    E.Y.E. - “Temple Battle Theme” (5)
    vs.
    Prop Cycle - “Cliff Rock” (11)

Eliminated: E.Y.E. - "Temple Battle Theme" (Nominated by @Smiling Politely)

Match #7
    Rayman Legends - “Grannies World Tour” (9)
    vs.
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest – “Stickerbrush Symphony” (7)

Eliminated: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - "Stickerbrush Symphony" (Nominated by @Father Cactus)

Match #8
    Vib-Ribbon - “Sunny Day” (7)
    vs.
    Gimmick! - “Sophia” (9)

Eliminated: Vib-Ribbon - "Sunny Day" (Nominated by @Shaunbadia)

And that's that. Hey look, those two songs that were considered too popular for this got eliminated! Guess it all worked out fine in the end, huh? I look forward to the oncoming complaints about a couple of other tracks in here that may well rustle a few feathers. As for me losing the Vib-Ribbon track, that was my bonus 4th that I wasn't even expecting to get, so while it's a bit disappointing, I'm not completely deterred by it. As far as I'm concerned it'd just be nice for one of my tracks to make it past the first fucking round this time.

I'll be posting the next round shortly.
    Last edited by Shaunbadia; 12-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

aw kiss my dishrag, that kirby track is timeless.

Everything I voted for except my own track has made it through.
    Last edited by Smiling Politely; 12-20-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information