Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If episodes had been done by different showrunners...

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hybrid View

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

If episodes had been done by different showrunners...

In its twenty-six years (and counting!) on the air, the Simpsons has been handled by several different showrunners, each with their own unique way of doing things. It got me thinking about how different showrunners might handle episodes from different eras of the show.

For example, what would it be like if...
    • ...Oakley and Weinstein did The Blunder Years?
    • ...Jean and Reiss did Monty Can't Buy Me Love?
    • ...Scully did Bart the Daredevil?
    • ...Mirkin did The Saga of Carl? (I'm aware the justification for the plot is from a later Jean episode. Just go with it.)

I mean, those are just a few examples. I'd really be interested in doing some brainstorming with you all about the differences in style.

(Note: This is not meant to be an anti-Jean and/or anti-Scully thread. Taking a beloved older episode and just putting "it'd be terrible" if Scully or Jean did t will get old fast. If you think a certain showrunner would botch it, illustrate why.)

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

If Oakley and Weinstein had done The Blunder Years, it might have been one of the best episodes of the series. Even though I do like that episode, it didn't come anywhere close to living up to its full potential. The main plot is under-developed; I mean, there isn't much to the investigation because the quarry leads right to Mr. Burns' office. I would like to think that if Oakley and Weinstein had done it, all the stuff with the paper towel (which I find mildly amusing but completely unnecessary) would have been replaced with more plot development.

Same goes for The Frying Game. Another episode I like but that had so much potential wasted with the screamapillar stuff and the cop-out ending. I'm sure if any of the classic era showrunners had executed that premise it would have been a phenomenal episode.

I think Oakley and Weinstein would have been a better fit for The Saga of Carl, since Mirkin might have focused too much on gags to the detriment of the episode's relatively strong plot and character development (not that Mirkin would have botched that; I'm sure he would have done a good job with the episode too, but I just think Oakley and Weinstein would have done a better job). As it is, it is my favourite HD episode, but it has some weak spots like the unrelated first act and the resolution which leaves something to be desired. And the character interaction in general could have been a lot better.

The episode that would perhaps fare the worst by being done by another showrunner might be Homie the Clown if it were a Scully episode. The premise of Homer becoming a regional Krusty seems really boring to me, and yet it turned out really well and the plot was taken in an interesting direction with lots of fantastic humour. I really don't think it would have been possible for Scully to have pulled it off based on his terrible track record of "Homer gets a job" episodes and Homer episodes in general. Not to mention that, while Mirkin is the best showrunner in terms of humour, I don't think Scully episodes are good at all humour-wise.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Well, this thread went in the direction I feared. ...Though I did say "explain how Scully and Jean would have ruined it," so I can't really complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper;3524470I
    I think Oakley and Weinstein would have been a better fit for The Saga of Carl, since Mirkin might have focused too much on gags to the detriment of the episode's relatively strong plot and character development (not that Mirkin would have botched that; I'm sure he would have done a good job with the episode too, but I just think Oakley and Weinstein would have done a better job). As it is, it is my favourite HD episode, but it has some weak spots like the unrelated first act and the resolution which leaves something to be desired. And the character interaction in general could have been a lot better.
    You're probably right in that Oakley and Weinstein would be a better fit for the story 'The Saga of Carl' was trying to tell. I said Mirkin because a common criticism of that episode, even from people who like it (like me), is that it's not very funny. Mirkin's one of the showrunners that the fandom considers to be the strongest at humor, so the idea was to think on how a showrunner with such a completely different track record would approach it.

Of course, with that episode, you have to take in mind the differences in characterization. This was back when Lenny and Carl appeared together a lot but weren't super best friends/possibly more than friends, so having him be in constant, explicit denial about Carl's betrayal until Carl spells it out for him...won't make much sense. He'd probably be the one most likely to want to hear Carl out, but his feelings would have to be much more muted for their relationship to make any sense within season six. (Though I'd personally argue, even by twenty-four, the "four best friends who never quarrel" doesn't fit the four of them, but I digress.) Act one would probably be a set-up as to why Homer, Moe, Carl, and Lenny wanted to buy a lottery ticket, and the Ki-Ya Karate Monsters would either be dropped or shortened as something to get Homer out of the house (and replace it with something more appropriate for 95-96, of course). I don't think that Mirkin's team would have the same conclusion about male friendship as the original, but I'm not really sure what a Mirkin-esque conclusion would be.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Lisa's Substitute" by Mike Scully.
    Mr. Bergstrom, voiced by Vin Diesel and who looks like Vin Diesel, comes to Springfield to fill in for Miss Hoover, who was suing the school w/the help of the teachers's union. Not happy with how Mr. Bergstrom is running the class and only giving the boys all the attention, Lisa tells Homer who is about to give the teacher a piece of his mind when they become instant best buds. With Lisa's plight now forgotten, Homer and Bergstrom decide to take on Springfield's night life and arrive back home at 8 am, both drunk and filthy. Ignoring the family, Homer let's Bergstrom stay for a week while he's teaching Hoover's class and when the week is over, Homer is allowed to take over Bergstrom's job as teacher. Meanwhile, Lisa is pleading with an apathetic Ms. Hoover to come back and when she does, Homer is sad Mr. Bergstrom is leaving and runs sobbing beside the train yelling "Please don't goooooooooo!!!!!!" as he leaves town.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 12-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    "Lisa's Substitute" by Mike Scully.
    Mr. Bergstrom, voiced by Vin Diesel and who looks like Vin Diesel, comes to Springfield to fill in for Miss Hoover, who was suing the school w/the help of the teachers's union. Not happy with how Mr. Bergstrom is running the class and only giving the boys all the attention, Lisa tells Homer who is about to give the teacher a piece of his mind when they become instant best buds. With Lisa's plight now forgotten, Homer and Bergstrom decide to take on Springfield's night life and arrive back home at 8 am, both drunk and filthy. Ignoring the family, Homer let's Bergstrom stay for a week while he's teaching Hoover's class and when the week is over, Homer is allowed to take over Bergstrom's job as teacher. Meanwhile, Lisa is pleading with an apathetic Ms. Hoover to come back and when she does, Homer is sad Mr. Bergstrom is leaving and runs sobbing beside the train yelling "Please don't goooooooooo!!!!!!" as he leaves town.
    This is so accurate. I could totally see this episode existing in the scully era

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Al Jean's Lisa the Iconoclast
    George Washington is replaced by a pointless cameo by a generic celebrity who gives a long boring speech about always telling the truth. Lisa ultimately tells the town that Jebediah was a fraud, there's probably a shit joke about conservatives or organised religion, and the town inexplicably forgive and support Lisa despite everything up to then being about building up the effect he has on the town spirit, because Al Jean wouldn't know intelligent subversion if it came up and bit him on the ass.

Homer's plot meanwhile involves him getting hurt repeatedly, moronically and belligerently.
    Last edited by The Spruce Moose; 12-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Blog Entries

If Mirkin oversaw "The Saga of Carl", I'm pretty sure he'd laugh his ass off at the very idea of it and promptly throw the script in the bin.

B
    Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps, 3/10; The Wreck of the Relationship, 5/10; Super Franchise Me, 5/10; Treehouse of Horror XXV, 7/10; Opposites A-Frack, 6/10; Simpsorama, 7/10; Blazed and Confused, 7/10; Covercraft, 5/10; I Won't Be Home for Christmas, 8/10; The Man Who Came To Be Dinner, 7/10; Bart's New Friend, 5/10; The Musk Who Fell to Earth, 3/10;

I Review Every Episode In No Particular Order
    Twitter | YouTube

Blog Entries

A major one that comes to mind is 'Round Springfield by Sam Simon or perhaps early Jean/Reiss (i.e. without participation from Mirkin). It's a fantastic episode already, but for a death episode, it's rather heavy on the gags (see: Bill Cosby, Blind Willie Witherspoon, the hot dog vendor at the funeral...), and I feel like the more down-to-earth style of Sam Simon would have made Bleeding Gums's death hit harder.

Blog Entries

"A Streetcar Named Marge" (by Al Jean)
    When Lisa tries, and fails, to get over her myPhone addiction, she decides to put her addiction to good use by downloading a classic books app apty (no pun intended) called "myBooks!". When Lisa is punished for show up late, Marge takes the myPhone away, she finds the book 'A Streetcar named Desire" downloaded in the phone after reading it in a few days, she learns there's a play coming up and wants the part of Blanche Doubois (sp). Meeting Lewellen Sinclair, the director (voiced by Jake Gyllenhal), she falls for him and Homer becomes worried Marge is spending too much time at the play. So, Homer gets Lisa to spy on Marge via the "Springfield theater cam" app and sees Marge making out with the director, not knowing it's all part of the play. Furious, Homer storms down to the set and demands Marge quit the play, but Marge refuses and tells Homer to go home and "be an actual dad" to the kids. Instead, Homer goes to Moe's, and drinks himself stupid and passes out. An hour later, he wakes up with Bart and Lisa standing over him telling him he only has an hour to get ready for Marge's debut.

Upon arriving, Homer and the kids are locked out because of theater rules not allowing people in after the play has started. So, Homer sneaks in through the back and crashes the play in progress. Humiliated, Marge is freaked out by Homer but Homer gives her a kiss, says: "mmm...authentic!" and Marge suddenly is forgiving. Pissed Lewellen Sinclair gets up and we Cletus, Sideshow Mel, and the Crazy Cat Lady cheering because the play ended early.

THE END.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 12-16-2014 at 08:46 PM.

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is so spot-on I think you gave me goosebumps.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

The Bart-Mangled Banner by Mike Scully

When a donkey rips Bart's shorts off whilst he is standing in front of a screen exhibiting the American flag, he is erroneously taken to be mooning it and he and the family declared to be unpatriotic and with them by definition, Springfield. Quimby changes the town's name to Libertyville, but the family is still sent to the Ronald Reagan Rehabilitation Center on Alcatraz. They escape and end up in France, which they quite like but decide to 'emigrate' to the New World and start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

"The Last Exit to Springfield" (by Mike Scully)
    After receiving an 8 cent error on his paycheck, Homer forces Lisa to help him create a "job enforcement rectifying krew", or JERK. After a two day protest and a Homer-mandated sit-in, Mr. Burns reluctantly agrees to refund the combined $12.03 in missed employee pay and not fire any of the striking workers. However, feeling mighty confident, Homer decides to make himself UNION MAN, much to Lisa's chagrin, and takes the plant from "old man Burns". Even though Lisa's not a fan of Burns, she's worried Homer will let the plant fall into even worse disrepair and Homer will wind up buried under 3rd base at the new Isotopes ballpark.

However, as UNION MAN rises to power, he becomes corrupt and starts taking more doughnuts for himself and his ex-flame, Mindy begins to hit on him. Even worse, Marge and the kids are all but forgotten because Homer used to always not go to work, but now he's ALWAYS at work....and on the biggest bilboard in town...on local TV...on the Oprah Winfrey Network...and he's Time's Overrated Person of the year...

Meanwhile, everything is going fine for UNION MAN until someone forgot to print off last week's paycheck, which was the recently fired Mr. Smithers's job. Defeated by his former friends and co-workers, Homer steps down as UNION MAN, but makes Mr. Burns get a tatoo of UNION MAN on his face so he won't easily forget the one man how beat him, until Homer realizes Mr. Burns is so weak and fragile the tatoo will crush him, so it's business as usual.

Blog Entries

Last Exit To Springfield by Groening Brooks Simon.
    A painfully unfunny borefest.

Note:Seasons 1 and 2 are my least favorite seasons. I just don't find them very funny, and the worst part was they were still trying just as hard to be funny as in later years.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it's not Season 1 & 2's fault that you're clearly an abject moron.

Blog Entries

Everyone has different opinions.

Blog Entries

How is it bad that they were "trying to be funny"? Is that not want you want from a comedy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cactus View Post
    How is it bad that they were "trying to be funny"? Is that not want you want from a comedy?
    "Trying to be funny" means the show has tons of jokes, but fails at making you laugh.

============================================================ =====

Back on topic, here's another:

"Bart Sells his Soul" (By Al Jean)
    When Bart needs money to keep his "World of Moreventure" account active, he decides to try selling stuff on Ebay and when he finds out people have sold some insane things, he decides to sell his soul on a sheet of paper for $200. Unfortunately, a computer glitch occurs and when Nikki show's up claiming she paid $200 dollars for Bart's soul and now she 'owns' him. Bart, at first, isn't buying Nikki's case, but when she tells him he committed fraud on Ebay and could wind up back in Juvie, Bart reluctantly agrees to be her slave and/or boyfriend depending on how bi-polar she is at any given moment. Worse, Bart has to keep the entire 'soul-slave' secret or Nikki will snitch.

Blog Entries

Season 1 is ok, season 2 is great.

Anyway,

Homer Badman (al jean)

Homer grabs the ass of some unsuspecting celebrity, leading to a whole internet argument about feminism and all that crap.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

Homer Badman (scully)

Homer grabs a gummy off a panda and gets raped.

Blog Entries

"explain how Scully and Jean would have ruined it," isn't the same as "write up some random bullshit fanfic". So far, @Insanity Pepper and @pkkao *edit, and @Merry Chrismoose are the only ones who have contributed anything of value to this thread (aside, of course, from OP @Hugh Jazz)
    Last edited by ThatsAPaddlin; 12-21-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAPrancer View Post
    "explain how Scully and Jean would have ruined it," isn't the same as "write up some random bullshit fanfic".
    Its more fun to show someone via "bullshit simpson fanfic" than tell the difference because we have a gazillion Simpsons have declined threads in the GD section.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the "lol Scully and Jean suck" schtick really isn't funny anymore. It'd be nice if you could keep it in the "Create shitty Simpsons episodes here" dump thread.

Homer's Odyssey could have improved with a better characterization of Homer if it had been done later. I do like the idea of Homer attempting suicide and a backstory of how he becomes a safety inspector, but Homer's Odyssey approaches it without a clear idea of how Homer should be written. He's fired due to idiocy and is too dumb to get a job anywhere else, yet he seems to have an almost Lisa-like sense of intelligence when he goes against the power plant. And why does Homer eventually become a failure as safety inspector when he seems to clearly care a lot in this episode? Perhaps Jean and Reiss or even a season 2 Sam Simon could have answered that.

Blog Entries

"Lisa's Substitute" if by Al Jean, probably would never have cast someone like Dustin Hoffman. Instead it would be some obvious "hot" male celeb, and her teacher would be made younger and cuter and much more generic. Basically just a cute older guy who's smart too, something shallow like that. In trying to make it obvious why any girl would be attracted to him, we'd lose the special reasons why LISA is attracted to him. And personally, I think all that would turn the episode around and give it an unshakable "ick" factor. Mr. Bergstrom wouldn't have that sweet fatherly "safeness" that makes it clear he cares about Lisa because she's a brilliant student.

Blog Entries

Just because my point was made in the form of "bullshit fanfic" that doesn't mean its illegitimate. The point I was making was that a lot of aspects inherent and fundamental to many modern episodes simply would not have flown with earlier showrunners. I highlighted "The Saga of Carl" as an example of an episode with a silly and wacky plot that is fundamentally flawed, in way that just would not have happened back in the Mirkin or Oakley & Weinstein days. Its a discussion point raised by the thread's question, so I don't see the harm in bringing it up. I felt it was a point that could be made more effectively in a tongue-in-cheek way, but here is that same point again in simple English. I can't imagine quite a few modern episodes existing at all or even being considered under some of the show's old runners.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Father Cactus View Post
    Just because my point was made in the form of "bullshit fanfic" that doesn't mean its illegitimate. The point I was making was that a lot of aspects inherent and fundamental to many modern episodes simply would not have flown with earlier showrunners. I highlighted "The Saga of Carl" as an example of an episode with a silly and wacky plot that is fundamentally flawed, in way that just would not have happened back in the Mirkin or Oakley & Weinstein days. Its a discussion point raised by the thread's question, so I don't see the harm in bringing it up. I felt it was a point that could be made more effectively in a tongue-in-cheek way, but here is that same point again in simple English. I can't imagine quite a few modern episodes existing at all or even being considered under some of the show's old runners.
    On the one hand, it IS a convenient resolution that they learned the language so fast, BUT it's not at all out of character for any Simpsons member to pick up a language easily. It's a special gift they all share, and I think if they had more time, if could have felt more natural. I really love that episode. I could certainly see it in season 8.

I agree with your general sentiment though. Can you imagine if someone suggested during season 2 something like "MARGE GETS BREAST IMPLANTS!"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAPrancer View Post
    On the one hand, it IS a convenient resolution that they learned the language so fast, BUT it's not at all out of character for any Simpsons member to pick up a language easily. It's a special gift they all share, and I think if they had more time, if could have felt more natural. I really love that episode. I could certainly see it in season 8.

I agree with your general sentiment though. Can you imagine if someone suggested during season 2 something like "MARGE GETS BREAST IMPLANTS!"?
    Its not so much the learning the language part, the entire premise of the story and the way it plays out and concludes is just convoluted and silly, in my opinion. Without going fully in-depth on why I dislike that episode; I find the notion that Carl suddenly dislikes all of them to be jarring and weird, and I find the resolution, in which the guys forgive Carl despite him stealing literally tens of thousands of dollars from each of them, running off and declaring he hates them, to be completely unrealistic. There are quite a few modern episodes that I could also not see in the early days, that's just one that stuck out to me as having a wacky premise and lots of strange and convoluted elements, as well making pretty dramatic changes to and focussing on a minor side character.

And yeah, there are quite a few episodes like that where you really wonder just why the hell they ever thought they would be good ideas. I've been watching S15 recently; the Wikipedia synopsis for the episode "The Fat and the Furriest" goes "Homer is humiliated when he appears on the news running from a bear that nearly attacks him at the city dump. After Grampa scolds him, he swears to fight the bear himself.". I hate the outright laziness of premises like that. Did they ever think anything good could come out of that?

Blog Entries

u people are so lame

Blog Entries

I didn't really have a problem with Dr. Cactus's comment, especially compared to some other bullshit fanfics here that just go over the same tired "lol worst of Jean/Scully" jokes.

Bart's New Friend is a good example of a concept that old showrunners weren't willing to consider yet. Perhaps Judd Apatow making a name for himself helped bring the script to the writers' attention, but Homer becoming Bart's age seems like something that could only be done this late in the series and would have been shot down if it had been pitched in seasons 1-2.

Blog Entries

Threadbump.
    "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire" (By David Mirkin)
    I think that if he or any other non Simon showrunner had done it, it would have been a better episode, as there would be lots of great jokes to add on to the plot.

Blog Entries

Whoops, didn't know there was a user called God. Sorry for the tag.

Thread Information